(Topic ID: 218843)

There should be a rap pin.

By Luckydogg420

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should there be a rap pin made?”

• Yes, I’d buy one right away 72 votes
      20%
    • Yes, I’d buy one used eventually 32 votes
      9%
    • Yes, even though I don’t like rap 20 votes
      6%
    • Sure, but only after a couple more rock pins 1 vote
    • It’s time for a country music pin, you can have rap later 8 votes
      2%
    • It’s time for an electronic dance music pin, you can have rap later 23 votes
      6%
    • No, only make more rock pins, I won’t buy this 31 votes
      9%
    • No, rap is just a fad, don’t waste your time 11 votes
      3%
    • No, I hate rap music and everything about it 161 votes
      45%

(Multiple choice - 359 votes by 340 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20180621-173656 (resized).png
    me-listening-to-songs-about-selling-drugs-and-killing-people-on-my-way-to-a-regular-9-5-job-adul-1HkkD (resized).jpg
    2821056_Still (resized).jpg
    0 (resized).jpg
    aggretsuko (resized).png
    Screenshot_20180616-160520 (resized).png
    a1-2 (resized).jpg
    rs_rundmc_lead-bc248ede-688a-4ccf-a506-46e4fc86b1f9 (resized).png
    mr_-yuk (resized).jpg
    2c8mty (resized).jpg
    San_andreas_4 (resized).jpg
    22-watch-chappie-2 (resized).jpg
    indsssex (resized).jpg
    MJ1A8725 (resized).jpg
    079924702fc8a36ea016db8f55a296ba.gif
    vanilla-ice-project-e1497968174595 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Damien.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 5 years ago

The hobby is driven mainly by crotchety old white males, so the likelihood of a rap pin is probably never going to catch.

Look at your poll... The majority of people not only hate the music, but everything about it (I don't even want them to expand because it's probably toxic).

Rap isn't the garbage you hear in the mainstream now. It's the golden era (early 90s) suck as Rakim, Tribe Called Quest, Souls of Mischief, Gangstar, Wu-Tand, Nas, Mobb Deep, etc.

A Wu-Tand pin would probably be the most successful of that era due to it's ongoing popularity, relevance in hip hop, and the fact it's a very marketable brand.

Plus, there is a plethora of ideas that translate right into pinball. 36 Chambers wizard mode, spelling M-E-T-H-O-D or C.R.E.A.M on the stand ups, call outs like "protect ya neck" as your ball save, and more...

But hey, why do something this awesome when we can just release another rock pin that allows guys to relive a time in college where they weren't getting laid

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from AVH7401:

I am probably not the first person to say this on this thread, but the first rap pin needs to be based on Wu-Tang Clan!

I was on the phone with Jack (JJP) a few months back, and I brought this up to him. He said it sounded like a cool idea, but he wasn't aware of them or the market potential.

Problem with pinball, or most other things in life, is that it's predominantly one colour/group.

Variety is the spice of life.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

More
    Crotchety old white males are what listened to rap music primarily and made it so popular. Reports that 60-80 percent of rap sales were from this same demographic. As far as a Pinball...I could be in depending on how it was done.

Have to disagree a little... Rap was brought into the mainstream in the late 80s and early 90s due to a lot of sales from white males, but it's likely not the same demographic that you see in this thread voting "No, I hate rap and everything about it".

Some white guys are open minded, and some aren't unfortunately.

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

"Open mindedness" has zero to do with my taste in music and I resent the implication. I was hoping the debate here would remain civil(and for the most part it has) but someone always has to raise this invalid point. The music I listen to and purchase comes from a very diverse bunch in the music industry. Always has. Always will. As a "crotchety old white guy" I know what I like and what I don't. Not caring for the vast majority of rap music doesn't make me "closed minded." Move on.
    Shawn

It's one thing to think "not my cup of tea", but often on these forums the idea of a pin based on hip hop culture is met with strong opposition. I really don't like rock or metal at all, but I'll play loads of Metallica and Maiden and totally get into it. I even start signing some of the bits I know as I play haha.

I'm certain at some level, this boils down to race or intolerance. Not for all, but definitely for some.

I'm happy to have games like Maiden. They take me out of the genre of music I gravitate towards generally, and introduce me to something new.

I think a well executed Wu-Tang pin would transcend many musical borders, and probably create a lot of appreciation for the great music they've produced.

And let's face it, if your introduction to hip hop was the garbage that currently is available, you'd probably be right to have this negative idea of it. But give 90s hip hop an honest chance, and you'll see the music was part of a much larger thing. It touches on many hot subjects, including many of the socioeconomic issues that plague North America.

It was an ingenious platform of music that allowed the artist to tell a real story the resonated with those living it, and introduced the rest of us to a reality we were likely ignorant and oblivious to.

Pinball needs this!

#113 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Yes - and here it is.

Phenomenal game!

#159 5 years ago

You guys do realize that the Gucci Gang garbage is not what most of us are talking about.

Rather than having an uneducated opinion, why not just watch this:

https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/80082677

It's a pretty awesome documentary about hip hop, and unless you're a complete muppet, you should walk away from this with some sort of appreciation for the art.

Cheers

#341 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Old white guy checkin in.
    While we're here, can one of you young, hip mf's point me in the direction of some hardcore/grimy underground Five Burroughs-type shit? With ABSOLUTELY NO Degrassi/Weekend pussy ass breakdowns. I don't care for most modern rap I hear because the radio shit is always with the soft ass Rhianna/"just gonna sing on this chorus" fuckin breakdown. Same reason radio metal SUCKS. Radio is the problem...I know this...hence the question.
    Where's all the the hard shit?

Just a couple of songs off the top of my head....

#342 5 years ago

To everyone in this thread that said rap is not "music" because there is no lyrics or instruments, these are for you.

Not only are hip hop lyrics often significantly more complex and meaningful than most other genres, the creation of beats ranges from live instruments, layers of samples, beat machines, etc...

Get your heads out of your white asses and realize you share this air with other people that don't look like you!

#358 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Love it when white guys try to talk black.....

"Black" is not a language. Come out of your barn and meet some new people when you get a spare moment.

My sister and brother-in-law are both black. Never heard them speak this language you refer to.

It's urban slang, and it's available for anyone of any walk of life to speak. You should try it

#363 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

You're in Canada!!

My sister is an American

#379 5 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

Lets not get nutz with terms - Ebonics, Urban slang or even Black is acceptable.
    "American black English regarded as a language in its own right rather than as a dialect of standard English."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_English

There are white people on the east coast of Canada that I barely understand due to their accent and local vocab. There are people in the UK that speak in cockney which is essentially a language unto itself.

But we never say they speak "white". We just accept they speak differently. Could be geographic. Could be economic. Could be cultural. Regardless, it's just different.

Ebonics (regardless of what you're learning on Wikipedia) is not exclusive or limit to blacks. White, Asians, etc., adopt it as well.

The number of black people that speak "Ebonics" is a miniscule fraction compared to everyone else that speak just as "white" as you.

But again... It's not white, it's just familiar.

Maybe go make a black friend or two. You'll be disappointed to know they're just the same as all your white friends

#389 5 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

I may be of color for all you know.

People still say this?

Last time I checked, white was a colour, no?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Damien.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/there-should-be-a-rap-pin-?tu=Damien and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.