(Topic ID: 218843)

There should be a rap pin.

By Luckydogg420

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should there be a rap pin made?”

• Yes, I’d buy one right away 72 votes
      20%
    • Yes, I’d buy one used eventually 32 votes
      9%
    • Yes, even though I don’t like rap 20 votes
      6%
    • Sure, but only after a couple more rock pins 1 vote
    • It’s time for a country music pin, you can have rap later 8 votes
      2%
    • It’s time for an electronic dance music pin, you can have rap later 23 votes
      6%
    • No, only make more rock pins, I won’t buy this 31 votes
      9%
    • No, rap is just a fad, don’t waste your time 11 votes
      3%
    • No, I hate rap music and everything about it 161 votes
      45%

(Multiple choice - 359 votes by 340 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20180621-173656 (resized).png
    me-listening-to-songs-about-selling-drugs-and-killing-people-on-my-way-to-a-regular-9-5-job-adul-1HkkD (resized).jpg
    2821056_Still (resized).jpg
    0 (resized).jpg
    aggretsuko (resized).png
    Screenshot_20180616-160520 (resized).png
    a1-2 (resized).jpg
    rs_rundmc_lead-bc248ede-688a-4ccf-a506-46e4fc86b1f9 (resized).png
    mr_-yuk (resized).jpg
    2c8mty (resized).jpg
    San_andreas_4 (resized).jpg
    22-watch-chappie-2 (resized).jpg
    indsssex (resized).jpg
    MJ1A8725 (resized).jpg
    079924702fc8a36ea016db8f55a296ba.gif
    vanilla-ice-project-e1497968174595 (resized).jpg
    There are 411 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
    #1 5 years ago

With rap music now the mainstream, beating out rock n popularity. I think it’s time for a rap music pin to be made by stern. There are many different ways you could tackle it, like just pick an artist and completely feature their music, just like the current rock titles (Ac-dc, Metallica, ect). For this you’d need a proficient artist but there’s lots that come to mind. You could have it be a east coast, west coast rap battle and feature a couple artists. Or you could do something else.

I think it would be cool to have a “Rap battle America” pin. The rules would be kinda like GoT, but instead of picking a house to play as, you would pick a city to represent. Then you would rap battle other cities around North America until you beat them all. Your wizard modes (instead of Hand of the King and Iron Throne) could be a radio show freestyle; and live tv appearance. Or something to that affect. You wouldn’t even have to use any specific artists, you could just have the styles of music and flow from each city. (Toronto, New York, Atlanta, Compton, ect.) it be great to have music from Drake, Jay Z, Ludicrous, and Dr Dre, but that would probably be expensive. (Plus you could change the tracks if wanted.)

The playfield shots and targets could build a rhyme to battle in each city, with combo shots making better raps. The shots could be labeled as Diss, freestyle, flow, vocabulary, ect. The more shots you make in each city before you lock in the mode he better.

What are your ideas for a rap pin?

STERN, GET IT BUILT!

#2 5 years ago

Like the idea, , , but, , , not certain rap holds up as well over time as rock.

Your thoughts on layout / objectives are pretty spot on I think.

#3 5 years ago

Right after a Polka pin.

LTG : )

#4 5 years ago

I'd buy it.... I used to listen to rap all the time back when I listened to music a lot. certain songs would go great with pinball.... Think most songs would get tossed out even if they were the censored versions. So most hard core gansta rap is out... Don't think there is enough of a market for rap in pinball sadly.

maybe beastie boys.

#5 5 years ago

Wu Tang

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Right after a Polka pin.

Should I add that to the poll?

#7 5 years ago

Don't think I'd ever buy a rap pinball machine.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Like the idea, , , but, , , not certain rap holds up as well over time as rock.
    Your thoughts on layout / objectives are pretty spot on I think.

not sure about that, a lot of rap songs from NWA, WU-tang, tu pac, biggie, etc. still get played all the time. Some don't hold up, but the same holds true for some rock bands, think that statement depends on the person. Most pinball people don't listen to rap, those that do probably wouldn't admit it anyway.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Right after a Polka pin.

I totally agree... polka would probably sell just as good as a rap pin.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Right after a Polka pin.

"Beer Barrel Polka"

#11 5 years ago

That would be awesome. Just collect band members. Combo different members to make different songs.

#12 5 years ago

It would have to be classic rap. 1977 to 1988. After that all you see/ hear is swearing, i got all the money and bragging my Gold Chrome....

#13 5 years ago

Nothing wrong with the idea. Are there any re-themes already out there?

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my replacement LED display boards for model H and model S Skee Ball

#14 5 years ago

If it gets a ton of young people into pinball I'm 100% for it. Pinball is way too white, and old.

#15 5 years ago

Yo! MTV Raps.

#16 5 years ago

I'm not a big rap fan but nostalgia sells so it would have to be older. Something like Wu-Tang, NWA, Beastie Boys, or Cypress Hill are Tailor made for pinball. I happen to like all of those groups so sign me up!

#17 5 years ago

Wu Tang seems like a no-brainer. However, given that the market for pinball seems to overwhelmingly be old rich white guys.. that might be a tough business model. Hence Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, etc. Spooky's 500-production model might make sense though. Or if the hipsters start buying more pins for home - I would absolutely play and maybe even buy a Public Enemy pin

#18 5 years ago

Uoooo dr dre the chronic..of curse...

#19 5 years ago

I think the only pole question you left out was....

#20 5 years ago

Snoop Dogg needs a pinbizzle! I can name at least a couple of his songs (unlike a current ferrous band pinball)

#21 5 years ago

Sign me up for a Mac Dre LE

#22 5 years ago

Noooooooooo

#23 5 years ago

Did you mean "Wrap"?

#24 5 years ago

Please just none of that mumble rap crap..

#25 5 years ago

You could get pretty creative with Beastie Boys. That would be the only one that would work for me.

#26 5 years ago

I'm not a rap fan but I don't see why not.

#28 5 years ago

This is most likely the only thing Rap I would ever purchase in my life

20180326_101639 (resized).jpg20180326_101639 (resized).jpg
    #29 5 years ago
    JxZaJ (resized).pngJxZaJ (resized).pngdownloadfile (resized).jpgdownloadfile (resized).jpggiphy (resized).pnggiphy (resized).png
    #30 5 years ago
    Quoted from McPin54:

You could get pretty creative with Beastie Boys. That would be the only one that would work for me.

Ya, they’re probably mainstream enough to succeed as a pin

#31 5 years ago

Okay fine.....MTV - 2 versions first and foremost Yo! MTV Raps and then the alternate.....errr......okay switch it how you like. MTV Headbangers Ball! This would be the ultimate coz you would have a variety of music for Yo, gotta have De la Soul, Pac, Gang Starr, Ice-T, Ice Cube and 5 others.. you pick. Headbangers, gotta have GNR, Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Poison, Anthrax and 5 others..you pick!

#32 5 years ago

All in for Kanye West LE.

#33 5 years ago

I personally would probably have no interest in a rap pin. I might be interested in a snoop dog pin if he gives hilarious callouts.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I personally would probably have no interest in a rap pin. I might be interested in a snoop dog pin if he gives hilarious callouts.

Fo shizzle! Go for the lizzle to get multibizzle!

#35 5 years ago

No.

That being said, 2 Live Crew would be damned funny, but I don't think my wife would allow it in the house.

#36 5 years ago

The only rap pin that makes sense would be...

PE (resized).jpgPE (resized).jpg
    #37 5 years ago

The only pin that’d earn a coveted spot next to my Seaman’s furniture...

2A3C737B-9BE4-4370-B6D7-C2D060E910DE (resized).jpeg2A3C737B-9BE4-4370-B6D7-C2D060E910DE (resized).jpeg

#38 5 years ago

I’d be down for a rap pin. Liscensing might be tough though.

Just need Modfather to put together a Crunk Cup Pingulp.

69771247-1508-4815-B60B-E11E1E042D1B (resized).jpeg69771247-1508-4815-B60B-E11E1E042D1B (resized).jpeg

#39 5 years ago

Only if it's a Biz Markie pin:

#40 5 years ago

I removed the music on my Metallica and inserted Wu-Tang when I had it. It held up well. Theme wise they'd be awesome (old Kung Fu) music wise they're approachable for most, has good edited versions, and their music library is extensive. Licensing probably not an issue since they're down to earth dudes and love toys. They still make music.

Most other stuff is too hard, too gangsta, not large enough library, not up to date.

#41 5 years ago

The hobby is driven mainly by crotchety old white males, so the likelihood of a rap pin is probably never going to catch.

Look at your poll... The majority of people not only hate the music, but everything about it (I don't even want them to expand because it's probably toxic).

Rap isn't the garbage you hear in the mainstream now. It's the golden era (early 90s) suck as Rakim, Tribe Called Quest, Souls of Mischief, Gangstar, Wu-Tand, Nas, Mobb Deep, etc.

A Wu-Tand pin would probably be the most successful of that era due to it's ongoing popularity, relevance in hip hop, and the fact it's a very marketable brand.

Plus, there is a plethora of ideas that translate right into pinball. 36 Chambers wizard mode, spelling M-E-T-H-O-D or C.R.E.A.M on the stand ups, call outs like "protect ya neck" as your ball save, and more...

But hey, why do something this awesome when we can just release another rock pin that allows guys to relive a time in college where they weren't getting laid

#42 5 years ago

Souls of mischeff are awsome, actually listened to there 93 till infinity album the other night while playing x-men. Fun times!!

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

The only pin that’d earn a coveted spot next to my Seaman’s furniture...

Agreed on this one. The best!

#44 5 years ago

60 votes no so far, a landslide NO.

#45 5 years ago

You should have added "Dear God No!" as one of the choices.

#46 5 years ago

I wonder if this is the same “No” landslide an Iron Maiden themed machine got until folks saw it?

#47 5 years ago

I think a rap theme by itself is a bad idea but I would love to see rap/hip hop featured as a soundtrack for a pin.

I think the perfect theme would be the video game Grand Theft Auto. You could select your radio station before the start and have either a rap or rock music choice. The game would have tons of action, violence, and car chases and would just be over the top fun! Rockstar games could essentially use the pin as billboard advertising for GTA6 whenever that comes. GTA6 is supposed to return to Vice City so it could be more focused on 80s era music but they could base it off 5 and do modern as well.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mizzou0103:

I wonder if this is the same “No” landslide an Iron Maiden themed machine got until folks saw it?

Exactly! There’s a tonne of people buying Maiden who don’t like the band, their music or rock music, if a rap theme game was released and it was a great shooting pin with a fresh layout (like Maiden) it would sell regardless of theme/music.

Eminem is the only licensed rap artist I could see a pin actually selling to none pinball players though, like the Supreme pin, Eminem released a collectors brick set - contsining an actual brick and wood from his childhood home (which for anyone who’s a fan of his will know it was heavily featured in a lot of his promotional materials, videos and album covers) these sell for £1000’s, his autograph is also highly coveted as he is pretty reclusive, so get him to sign the LEs like BM66 and put me down for an LE

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinkid:

60 votes no so far, a landslide NO.

I’d be willing to bet that you could sell more rap machines, then Supreme machines (assuming both had unlimited runs)

Quoted from J85M:

Eminem is the only licensed rap artist I could see a pin actually selling

This would probably do better then a wu tang pin would do.

#50 5 years ago

When rap fans have $5-$10k of disposable income in large enough numbers to drive sales someone will make a rap pin. Get a popular rapper to play pinball in a few videos to plant the seed.

There are 411 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/there-should-be-a-rap-pin-?hl=cocomonkeh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.