(Topic ID: 218843)

There should be a rap pin.

By Luckydogg420

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should there be a rap pin made?”

• Yes, I’d buy one right away 72 votes
      20%
    • Yes, I’d buy one used eventually 32 votes
      9%
    • Yes, even though I don’t like rap 20 votes
      6%
    • Sure, but only after a couple more rock pins 1 vote
    • It’s time for a country music pin, you can have rap later 8 votes
      2%
    • It’s time for an electronic dance music pin, you can have rap later 23 votes
      6%
    • No, only make more rock pins, I won’t buy this 31 votes
      9%
    • No, rap is just a fad, don’t waste your time 11 votes
      3%
    • No, I hate rap music and everything about it 161 votes
      45%

(Multiple choice - 359 votes by 340 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20180621-173656 (resized).png
    me-listening-to-songs-about-selling-drugs-and-killing-people-on-my-way-to-a-regular-9-5-job-adul-1HkkD (resized).jpg
    2821056_Still (resized).jpg
    0 (resized).jpg
    aggretsuko (resized).png
    Screenshot_20180616-160520 (resized).png
    a1-2 (resized).jpg
    rs_rundmc_lead-bc248ede-688a-4ccf-a506-46e4fc86b1f9 (resized).png
    mr_-yuk (resized).jpg
    2c8mty (resized).jpg
    San_andreas_4 (resized).jpg
    22-watch-chappie-2 (resized).jpg
    indsssex (resized).jpg
    MJ1A8725 (resized).jpg
    079924702fc8a36ea016db8f55a296ba.gif
    vanilla-ice-project-e1497968174595 (resized).jpg
    There are 411 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.
    #251 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I’m quoting someone from the Supreme thread when I say that this is not for you.

I'd like a Supreme between Snoop and Tupac machines. I wanna be as gangsta as I can be!

#252 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

lol okay man, whatever you say. "I'm not racist, I just prefer white people"

not prefer but middle to upper class white kids living in the suburbs I think have an easier time identifying with Eminem rather than Chuck D. I don't know. I don't care for white rap Beasties maybe but I liked them when they started playing instruments and I'm racist to the human race its not that I hate them but seem to feel better when there not around Ur probably right with the shitkickers although who cares what they think. Theres high quality hip hop that would work with pinball like this...........

Oh yeah if I had to engage in man on man loving it would be Elvis.

#253 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Are you just really racist?

I'd say I was sorry for trying to be funny in what I thought was a simple exaggeration. The same exaggeration that I would also make about opera or COUNTRY by the way. (Actually I might go with 10,000 years if talking about country.) Since you jumped to the immediate Godwin's law type response, there is no need to apologize or even to explain. Not sure what happened to you? Seems like you must spend a lot of time arguing in political forums to jump to completely incorrect conclusions like that without even knowing me? Either way, you used to be a poster who I respected here and that went away a long time ago.

#254 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

but middle to upper class white kids living in the suburbs I think have an easier time identifying with Eminem rather than Chuck D

I grew up on a farm outside a small town in a very rural area. I find that I have an easier time identifying with talent. I enjoy Eminem because he’s one of the best rappers alive. I’ll say the same about Kendrick Lamar, jay z and childish gambino, because they have talent.

Quoted from John_I:

I thought was a simple exaggeration

I was told long ago to never exaggerate because you loose all credibility when you do.

#255 5 years ago

I grew up on a farm outside a small town in a very rural area. I find that I have an easier time identifying with talent. I enjoy Eminem because he’s one of the best rappers alive. I’ll say the same about Kendrick Lamar, jay z and childish gambino, because they have talent.

I have to say I'm quite impressed with C Gambino, Kendrick is pretty good as well in terms of newer hip hop which for the most part sucks but Eminem being one of the best rappers alive? I don't see it and really have never enjoyed his stuff then again Kool Keith really isn't all that popular and he gets my vote. Jay Z nah. 80's rap thats the ticket.

#256 5 years ago

I was told long ago to never exaggerate because you loose all credibility when you do.

I don't like rap, but more importantly I don't think it would work in a pinball machine. Pink Floyd is one of my favorite bands. While I do think a Pink Floyd game would have great potential for artwork and video, I don't think the music would work with the rhythm of the game of pinball.

Point is that this is a fun forum where politics are not allowed in the least bit. Saying I lost credibility is completely fair, but having someone twist my words into another realm completely as the previous poster did is not right at all and does nothing but divide and stir hate. I guess I am so far beyond his level of petty bullshit that I didn't even think that someone could jump to conclusions like that.

#257 5 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

While I do think a Pink Floyd game would have great potential for artwork and video, I don't think the music would work with the rhythm of the game of pinball.

A Pink Floyd theme would work great in a flipperless layout.

#258 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I have all their albums, so I'm not saying they suck.
    But they were to rap what the Monkees were to pop.
    (and yes, I like the Monkees too).
    Check out this guitar intro that I'm sure they did not play:

Such a terrible analogy.

The monkees were assembled by a talent agency.

Beasties were childhood friends.

Monkees’ hits were all written by Neil Diamond.

Beasties wrote all their material.

Monkees were a fake tv version of the Beatles and a fad, and pretended they played instruments on their hits.

Beasties created innovative, original work for 25 years, and never pretended to perform anything they didn't.

That’s just the start of it. The evil record companies had little to do with the beasties besides profiting from their creativity. And by even their SECOND record they were pissing off the record companies by refusing to release licensed
    To Ill 2.

But you already know of all of this, right?

You are a smart guy vid but sometimes you try way too hard to sound smart.

#259 5 years ago

Just NO!

#260 5 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I don't like rap, but more importantly I don't think it would work in a pinball machine. Pink Floyd is one of my favorite bands. While I do think a Pink Floyd game would have great potential for artwork and video, I don't think the music would work with the rhythm of the game of pinball.
    Point is that this is a fun forum where politics are not allowed in the least bit. Saying I lost credibility is completely fair, but having someone twist my words into another realm completely as the previous poster did is not right at all and does nothing but divide and stir hate. I guess I am so far beyond his level of petty bullshit that I didn't even think that someone could jump to conclusions like that.

It’s great that you are completely
    Color blind and that your distaste for rap is solely because it offends your ear.

but I don’t see how you can read a thread where the word “thug” is constantly invoked and people continue to blame rap and “they” for the collapse of society and conclude there’s nothing political about it.

#261 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

but I don’t see how you can read a thread where the word “thug” is constantly invoked and people continue to blame rap and “they” for the collapse of society and conclude there’s nothing political about it.

It's simply not possible for a bunch of old white dudes to sit around discussing black men in 2018 and have it not be political. We can keep the 'politics' out of it as far as toeing the Pinside rules go, but that doesn't change the basic reality of anything. John I asked what happened to me, like this is about me or I've changed and that's why anyone is talking racism. Yeah, that must be it, my bad.

Whatever, if anyone is feeling self reflective today, ponder the last 6 pages and make up your own mind, I don't feel like trying to skirt the rules of what's allowed like I'm tiptoeing around neon billboards we're supposed to be ignoring.

As far as rap pins go, here's what I think:

It would be child's play to design a game featuring rap elements that would appeal to a broad swath of people. Some people just don't know it yet, because they lack the framework to even think about it. The obvious starting point would be to make it more instrumental focused, which works, because listening to lyrics repeatedly while playing is my absolute least favorite thing about even the best band pins. It gets old fast.

A kung fu themed pin with RZA beats and the Wu Tang lyrical portions done more like Spooky's approach to Alice Cooper, where there's "game music" and "mode songs" would probably be ideal.

It would be smart too, because even if the good old boys on Pinside wouldn't buy it pinball could sure as hell use fresh blood. Market it to the people drooling over the Supreme pin, they've got money too. They're probably all still majority white, but at least it would be a start of some new demographics.

If you actually love the hobby and aren't just self-centered nostalgics then the only way it's not going to die off as you die off is to make it not about old people. Used to be games were for the youth. Bring that back at least some or watch pins be the next jukeboxes.

The reality is there isn't a pinball company out there right now capable of making such a game, so I'm going to go with the hobby will just die off. We'll get games like Dialed In, where grandpa pretends he gets what the kids like, with the mom jeans super hero, prices will keep going up, the barcade trend will end as people get older and have kids and lose their nightlife, and the next generation won't be nostalgia bound and won't care.

#262 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I have all their albums, so I'm not saying they suck.
    But they were to rap what the Monkees were to pop.
    (and yes, I like the Monkees too).
    Check out this guitar intro that I'm sure they did not play:

I think Tommy Tedesco did the guitar, at least the quick flamenco stuff. Supposedly when Nesmith heard it he about died. Good luck trying to replicate that in concert!

#263 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Monkees’ hits were all written by Neil Diamond.
    Beasties wrote all their material.
    Monkees were a fake tv version of the Beatles and a fad.
    Beasties created innovative, original work for 25 years.
    That’s just the start of it. The evil record companies had little to do with the beasties besides profiting from their creativity. And by even their SECOND record they were pissing off the record companies by refusing to release licensed
    To Ill 2.
    But you already know of all of this, right?
    You are a smart guy vid but sometimes you try way too hard to sound smart.

It is absolutely bizarre when you come out of your hole with your chest all puffed out, and then make my point for me.

I can't even imagine the discourse every time you get pulled over

Officer: Do you know how fast you were going?
    Levi: I absolutely do. In fact, my GPS records my speed and I can play it back for you in 5 second increments. So if you think you are going to tell me how fast I was going, I'm going to tell you!
    Officer: Sigh.......OK buddy, you tell me.
    Levi: Do you want it when I was passing you, or just after I blew through that stop sign?
    Officer: I'm going to need you to step out of the vehicle....
    Levi: Wait! Do you know Neil Diamond wrote 4 of the 226 songs the Monkees recorded?
    Officer: [speaking into radio] I'm going to need assistance with a possible 5150 ......

#264 5 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

I think Tommy Tedesco did the guitar, at least the quick flamenco stuff. Supposedly when Nesmith heard it he about died. Good luck trying to replicate that in concert!

LOL, that's for sure!

It was Louie Shelton.

Here is him personally showing you how to play it, and Last Train To Clarksville too:

#265 5 years ago

New Dr.Octagon and its greatness. Rap wold totally work with pinball but it would have to be the darker heavier side of things like rock pins. Iron Maiden great but Rolling Stones shit. I hope Stern makes one so the guys who really want it get the chance but first we need Slayer.

#266 5 years ago

#267 5 years ago

With rap music now the mainstream, beating out rock n popularity. I think it’s time for a rap music pin to be made by stern. There are many different ways you could tackle it, like just pick an artist and completely feature their music, just like the current rock titles (Ac-dc, Metallica, ect). For this you’d need a proficient artist but there’s lots that come to mind. You could have it be a east coast, west coast rap battle and feature a couple artists. Or you could do something else.
    I think it would be cool to have a “Rap battle America” pin. The rules would be kinda like GoT, but instead of picking a house to play as, you would pick a city to represent. Then you would rap battle other cities around North America until you beat them all. Your wizard modes (instead of Hand of the King and Iron Throne) could be a radio show freestyle; and live tv appearance. Or something to that affect. You wouldn’t even have to use any specific artists, you could just have the styles of music and flow from each city. (Toronto, New York, Atlanta, Compton, ect.) it be great to have music from Drake, Jay Z, Ludicrous, and Dr Dre, but that would probably be expensive. (Plus you could change the tracks if wanted.)
    The playfield shots and targets could build a rhyme to battle in each city, with combo shots making better raps. The shots could be labeled as Diss, freestyle, flow, vocabulary, ect. The more shots you make in each city before you lock in the mode he better.
    What are your ideas for a rap pin?
    STERN, GET IT BUILT!

Rap and music really shouldn't be in the same sentence. Rap is not music. Music involves playing instruments and maybe singing.

Rap is basically poem reading with a toddler busting out the same beat track on his casio keyboard in the background. Most cannot play instruments, cannot read music or know the first thing about writing music. The producer, or recording studio, plays some generic track that he wiped up in about 10 seconds, and the others stand around and say....oh that sounds good. Lets lay that down.

I do not like country music, but I acknowledge it as a music. Takes talent to play instruments, write song structures that involve multiple instruments, and singing.

Rap does not fall into any of these catagories. But I do like Old school rap like Run DMC or 2 Live crew. Calling it music is a stretch, but I like it.

#268 5 years ago

We should start a list of White rappers that are safe for unconscious racists to listen to (White, non-thug, non-buck, musicians playing instruments)

I will nominate Mindless Self Indulgence (the kids call them MSI).

Distorted guitars (4 piece band), white singer (Jimmy Urine), flexible chicks, everything you need to feel safe.

(Super bonus: Snoop loves them)

bitches love me cause they know that i can rock
    bitches love me cause they know that i can rhyme
    bitches love me cause they know that i can fnck
    bitches love me cause they know that I'm on time
    throughout the projects
    throughout the projects
    throughout the projects
    done
    this is how it should be done
    this style, style, style, done
    pow! mutha fncka... pow!
    bitches love me
    MJ1A8725 (resized).jpgMJ1A8725 (resized).jpgindsssex (resized).jpgindsssex (resized).jpg

#269 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Rap and music really shouldn't be in the same sentence. Rap is not music. Music involves playing instruments and maybe singing.

Listen thats the way classical fans felt about rock n roll. I love classical and rock and metal, jazz I play bass and drums and guitar so let me explain something here, its tough to make good hip hop and while its a drum machine and keyboards and yeah sometimes very simple its not easy to make something great, its just as hard to find a really talented singer as a rapper. Sorry my friend but that statement is horseshit.

#270 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You should have seen the way they treated poor Chappie

What does that mean, as not familiar with them but some of tunes songs or whatever seem to stick with me at times even as a rock fan for the most part but like old school rap groups just not the best as live acts

#271 5 years ago
    22-watch-chappie-2 (resized).jpg22-watch-chappie-2 (resized).jpg
    #272 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I know you are talking more about the Capital Records time than Def Jam. But I think it is a little unfair to discount the influence Rick Rubin had. I don't think it is unreasonable to compare Rubin's influence to that of George Martin.

#273 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

A kung fu themed pin with RZA beats and the Wu Tang lyrical portions done more like Spooky's approach to Alice Cooper, where there's "game music" and "mode songs" would probably be ideal.

I think Afro Samurai would lend itself well to a pin. It is stylish, it has a natural story based progression up to the number 2 headband and final wizard mode of getting revenge on Justice. Music by RZA and Wu-Tang. Perfect.

#274 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

It would be child's play to design a game featuring rap elements that would appeal to a broad swath of people.

San_andreas_4 (resized).jpgSan_andreas_4 (resized).jpg

#275 5 years ago

Grand Theft Auto pin theme. I'd go for that one. (no rap pins please)

#276 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

Grand Theft Auto pin theme. I'd go for that one. (no rap pins please)

Yep no rap in GTA *looks up*

#278 5 years ago

GTA San Andreas is absolutely, 100% a great pinball theme. Heists, blowing shit up, classic rap. You sneak the music in through the backdoor by not making it the focus.

#279 5 years ago
    Quoted from imharrow:

I know you are talking more about the Capital Records time than Def Jam. But I think it is a little unfair to discount the influence Rick Rubin had. I don't think it is unreasonable to compare Rubin's influence to that of George Martin.

I think it would be unfair. Rubin was with them for one album - a novelty record which really isn't representative of their 25 year career.

#280 5 years ago

Make the LE version Vice City for all the old white guys.

#281 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Make the LE version Vice City for all the old white guys.

yes please, I loved all the GTA's so any of them will do but if I had to pick one then its Vice City. I do think 5 would be cool where u could play mutiple characters, man theres tons of stuff.

#282 5 years ago

I love how if you don't like rap you're automatically an old white guy or a racist. Doesn't that assumption have some racist connotations? Too funny.

#283 5 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

I love how if you don't like rap you're automatically an old white guy or a racist.

That really isn't being said by anyone but it's constantly presented that way by others

#284 5 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

I love how if you don't like rap you're automatically an old white guy or a racist.

I don't exactly love it, but if you read some of the posts it sure seems that way! So while a good observation I think you are being a little too general - there's at least 1 or 2 dudes who just don't seem to like rap.

#285 5 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

I love how if you don't like rap you're automatically an old white guy or a racist. Doesn't that assumption have some racist connotations? Too funny.

Because only old White guys and racists are compelled to tell you that they hate Rap.

If we were talking about a Mathrock pin, nobody would go out of their way to say they hate the Mathrock genre.

#286 5 years ago

142 votes and climbing against rap and anything to do with it

#287 5 years ago
    2c8mty (resized).jpg2c8mty (resized).jpg
    #288 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

We should start a list of White rappers that are safe for unconscious racists to listen to (White, non-thug, non-buck, musicians playing instruments)
    I will nominate Mindless Self Indulgence (the kids call them MSI).
    Distorted guitars (4 piece band), white singer (Jimmy Urine), flexible chicks, everything you need to feel safe.
    (Super bonus: Snoop loves them)

bitches love me cause they know that i can rock
    bitches love me cause they know that i can rhyme
    bitches love me cause they know that i can fnck
    bitches love me cause they know that I'm on time
    throughout the projects
    throughout the projects
    throughout the projects
    done
    this style, style, style, done
    pow! mutha fncka... pow!
    bitches love me

Holy shit

Never thought I'd see MSI on pinside

Lol, "through out the projectssssssss"

#289 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If we were talking about a Mathrock pin, ...

Goddamn when i saw The Foals a few years back that show was electric. One of the best I've seen. But they'e kind of moved away from that sadly.

#290 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't exactly love it, but if you read some of the posts it sure seems that way! So while a good observation I think you are being a little too general - there's at least 1 or 2 dudes who just don't seem to like rap.

I don't really enjoy rap, but I've definitely found out the hard way that "I hate rap!" is often/usually the appetizer to a seven-course meal of dogwhistles.

#291 5 years ago

I'm old and white and I like NWA, Public Enemy and Run DMC. I don't like any of the new stuff, it doesn't seem to have the same artistry or playability for me.

So, not all old white dudes hate rap.

#292 5 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

Lies and slander, there was clearly an option for not being racist, but just finding other people enjoying something you don't distasteful, or, that a rapper ran off with your wife.

So you are automatically:

1) salty about other people enjoying things you don't
    2) just a boring run of the mill racist
    3) a tragic victim of a rapping wife stealer

Gotta actually read!

#293 5 years ago

Back in the day there was to have been a collaboration between Eazy E and Guns n Roses. Really wanted to hear the results.

#294 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I'm old and white and I like NWA

i was a huge eazy-e fan as a young teen. listening to it now i cant believe i listened to it.. probably because it was so raw and cursing that i only listened because it was taboo.
    "welcome to eazy's playhouse you stupid motha f*ckerrrr.. now that you have the album, wtf are you gonna do with it biiiitch"

#295 5 years ago

Dont forget Eazys merry Christmas song.

#296 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Right after a Polka pin.
    LTG : )

Cactus Jack's doesn't count?

#297 5 years ago

I do read and lurk more often than post, unlike some - ah hem. Do you actually read some of you're blabbering after posting? Rapper wife stealing - what the fuck are you talking about? This is the second time you said this. No one brought up race until you chimed in. When you post generalized observational bullshit like that its left to interpretation. Just because someone says they don't like rap they get thrown into the racist bucket. Its the same as someone criticizing or not liking your Alien playfield art therefore they are automatically an a-hole.

Try being less sensitive and for God sakes man try decaf So far its been civil so keep it that way. Pinside seems to have spoken with their vote and you are upset. It appears you are the salty one my overly opinionated friend.

Quoted from Aurich:

Lies and slander, there was clearly an option for not being racist, but just finding other people enjoying something you don't distasteful, or, that a rapper ran off with your wife.
    So you are automatically:
    1) salty about other people enjoying things you don't
    2) just a boring run of the mill racist
    3) a tragic victim of a rapping wife stealer
    Gotta actually read!

#298 5 years ago

Basically calling 143 pinsiders of being racists lol.

#299 5 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

Try being less sensitive

Good lord, I'm the one posting tongue in cheek comments and you're the one freaking out, so ... try being less sensitive?

Literally no one in this thread said everyone who hates rap is racist, but the way some people are protesting so loudly makes you wonder about guilty consciences.

For the record I don't think most of the people in this thread are racist but it sure is full of ignorance. At least someone who lacks knowledge can be taught though, assuming they're willing to learn. But why would you choose to announce so loudly that you have strong opinions on something while simultaneously confirming you don't actually know anything about the topic? It's weird.

#300 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

For the record I don't think most of the people in this thread are racist but it sure is full of ignorance.

"ghetto"
    "thug"
    "they"
    "ruining neighborhoods"

It's pretty easy to tell who just doesn't like rap and who views it as something a little darker.

On the pop culture clueless front, it's hard to not to laugh when someone calls Rap a fad. It goes back to the EM era!!!

There are 411 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/there-should-be-a-rap-pin-/page/6?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.