(Topic ID: 218843)

There should be a rap pin.

By Luckydogg420

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should there be a rap pin made?”

• Yes, I’d buy one right away 72 votes
      20%
    • Yes, I’d buy one used eventually 32 votes
      9%
    • Yes, even though I don’t like rap 20 votes
      6%
    • Sure, but only after a couple more rock pins 1 vote
    • It’s time for a country music pin, you can have rap later 8 votes
      2%
    • It’s time for an electronic dance music pin, you can have rap later 23 votes
      6%
    • No, only make more rock pins, I won’t buy this 31 votes
      9%
    • No, rap is just a fad, don’t waste your time 11 votes
      3%
    • No, I hate rap music and everything about it 161 votes
      45%

(Multiple choice - 359 votes by 340 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20180621-173656 (resized).png
    me-listening-to-songs-about-selling-drugs-and-killing-people-on-my-way-to-a-regular-9-5-job-adul-1HkkD (resized).jpg
    2821056_Still (resized).jpg
    0 (resized).jpg
    aggretsuko (resized).png
    Screenshot_20180616-160520 (resized).png
    a1-2 (resized).jpg
    rs_rundmc_lead-bc248ede-688a-4ccf-a506-46e4fc86b1f9 (resized).png
    mr_-yuk (resized).jpg
    2c8mty (resized).jpg
    San_andreas_4 (resized).jpg
    22-watch-chappie-2 (resized).jpg
    indsssex (resized).jpg
    MJ1A8725 (resized).jpg
    079924702fc8a36ea016db8f55a296ba.gif
    vanilla-ice-project-e1497968174595 (resized).jpg
    There are 411 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.
    #51 5 years ago

This guy already got a pin

220px-ShaqDiesel (resized).jpg220px-ShaqDiesel (resized).jpg
    #52 5 years ago

I am probably not the first person to say this on this thread, but the first rap pin needs to be based on Wu-Tang Clan!

Wu-Tang Clan (resized).jpgWu-Tang Clan (resized).jpg
    #53 5 years ago

How about a pin that does decades of rap, starting from its roots in the 70's, then going to 80's hip-hop, 90's East-West battles, and so on. What a soundtrack that would be.

#54 5 years ago

The TNT pinball machine has some rap if I remember correctly.
    https://www.facebook.com/TNTUKOfficial/photos/pb.429361350446208.-2207520000.1479221263./1112113818837621/?type=3

Played it a few times, just for the novelty. Don't bother.

#55 5 years ago

Beastie Boys is at the top of my themes list for my first home brew. Its rich with a range of music, great visuals to build from, that make easily into modes.

It has a great beat for pace. Who can't imagine two spinner disks below the flippers as turntables 'mixing things up'. Well if you can't.... I can and. already have!

ok...now at the top of my list who need to wait for stern.... well everyone. Its probably going to take me a while.

#56 5 years ago

Snoop would be awesome, and he would probably do it as well.

#57 5 years ago

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Outkast yet. I think they had a great mix of rap, paired with popular mainstream songs.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Right after a Polka pin.
    LTG : )

What about Cactus Jacks? It's half a polka pin....
    "It's polka time!"

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from AVH7401:

I am probably not the first person to say this on this thread, but the first rap pin needs to be based on Wu-Tang Clan!

I was on the phone with Jack (JJP) a few months back, and I brought this up to him. He said it sounded like a cool idea, but he wasn't aware of them or the market potential.

Problem with pinball, or most other things in life, is that it's predominantly one colour/group.

Variety is the spice of life.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

The hobby is driven mainly by crotchety old white males, so the likelihood of a rap pin is probably never going to catch.
    Look at your poll... The majority of people not only hate the music, but everything about it (I don't even want them to expand because it's probably toxic).
    Rap isn't the garbage you hear in the mainstream now. It's the golden era (early 90s) suck as Rakim, Tribe Called Quest, Souls of Mischief, Gangstar, Wu-Tand, Nas, Mobb Deep, etc.
    A Wu-Tand pin would probably be the most successful of that era due to it's ongoing popularity, relevance in hip hop, and the fact it's a very marketable brand.
    Plus, there is a plethora of ideas that translate right into pinball. 36 Chambers wizard mode, spelling M-E-T-H-O-D or C.R.E.A.M on the stand ups, call outs like "protect ya neck" as your ball save, and more...
    But hey, why do something this awesome when we can just release another rock pin that allows guys to relive a time in college where they weren't getting laid

Crotchety old white males are what listened to rap music primarily and made it so popular. Reports that 60-80 percent of rap sales were from this same demographic. As far as a Pinball...I could be in depending on how it was done.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

More
    Crotchety old white males are what listened to rap music primarily and made it so popular. Reports that 60-80 percent of rap sales were from this same demographic. As far as a Pinball...I could be in depending on how it was done.

Have to disagree a little... Rap was brought into the mainstream in the late 80s and early 90s due to a lot of sales from white males, but it's likely not the same demographic that you see in this thread voting "No, I hate rap and everything about it".

Some white guys are open minded, and some aren't unfortunately.

#62 5 years ago

LOL at pinside voting 49% for "No, I hate rap music and everything about it"

#63 5 years ago

I think Wu-Tang Clan would be a great theme, but a Beastie Boys pin would be easier to market to the pinball crowd.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

I think Wu-Tang Clan would be a great theme, but a Beastie Boys pin would be easier to market to the pinball crowd.

Beastie Boys rarely do any licensing deals so that would probably not happen.

#65 5 years ago

Guys, what the hell... THERE IS A RAP GAME! Class of 1812. Drop the mic...

"My name is Belly, my breath is smelly, when it's black as night, I love to bite..."

"My name is Vamp, they call me a tramp, when the hips go bump, your heart will pump..."

"My name is Zom-B and I'm your host, revive my friends to score the most..."

"My name is Peter, I'm a red meat eater, touch my forks I'll stomp you dorks..."

"My name is Willy, don't think I'm silly, when the moon is full, your neck I'll pull..."

#66 5 years ago
    nooospelling2222 (resized).jpgnooospelling2222 (resized).jpg
    #67 5 years ago

License individual songs. Era or geographical representation.

I need my 80s rap though... Doug E. Fresh - The Show, Slick Rick - Children's Story, Sir Mix A Lot - Posse on Broadway, Public Enemy - Rebel Without a Pause, NWA, Beastie Boys, Grandmaster Flash, KRS-One, EPMD, and so many other great 80's rappers and songs.

#68 5 years ago

Rap is the only thing selling which still astonishes me. In todays hypersensitive world there's a huge double standard with Hip Hop/Rap music. The question is would a company be willing to bank on a pin selling?

#69 5 years ago

Last year, rap/r&b accounted for 24.5% of all music consumption sales in the United States, making it the highest selling music genre in the country. 7 out of 10 of the highest selling albums were, you guessed it, rap/r&b.

Someone please take a chance on this.

#70 5 years ago

I think people miss demos of pin buyers.

Rap fans as a group have 15 more years before they have the cash for pins.

I'm 35 and one of the younger guys I've seen collecting.

#71 5 years ago

I'm up for any new ideas. It's not hard for me to choose rap over mustang or WWE easily. Of course rap is a huge genre and it would probably end up being some Kanye bullshit because *old man voice* that's what they call rap these days.

#72 5 years ago

Considering the gigantic market out there for rap, why wouldn't someone want a rap pin to be made? I'm in the camp of I rarely listen to rap but anything to expose pinball to a new market is a good thing for pinball. As for disposable income, it doesn't matter if America has it or not, people will spend it anyway somehow if it resonates. I say sure - why not!

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ns2973:

I think people miss demos of pin buyers.
    Rap fans as a group have 15 more years before they have the cash for pins.
    I'm 35 and one of the younger guys I've seen collecting.

Collectors, yes. But on location, no. If you go to any of the barcades in my area on any given weekend, those venues are filled with anything BUT the majority demo that frequents this forum.

#74 5 years ago

Problem with a beastie boys pin, is you can’t have your first hip-hop pin licensed after a group that didn’t even start from rap/hip-hop beginnings.

Wu-Tang Clan who began and rose from the origins of hip-hop would be a great choice and in the same vein as Maiden, not only do they have what is consider one of the greatest and purist hip-hop albums ever with the 36 Chambers, they have used some cool art styles over the years on group albums and promotions as well as solo albums, RZA bobby digital had a cool 80s SW poster vibe & GZA liquid swords utilised a street comic style - both of which Yeti could do some cool stuff with.

I still think Eminem would be the best choice as a licence, he has released several high value items over the years which have sold out almost instantly and then showed up for a lot more in resale. The biggest problem with a rap/hip-hop pin IMO is there just isn’t enough fans of the genre in our hobby nearly everyone I know is an old rocker and I guess AC/DC, MET, Aerosmith, Maiden prove it, but an awesome game is an awesome game and people can ignore theme as Maiden has proven so never say never, I’d love an Eminem pin so fingers crossed.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Problem with a beastie boys pin, is you can’t have your first hip-hop pin licensed after a group that didn’t even start from rap/hip-hop beginnings.

I don't think anyone cares aboot the punk years in relation to their rap career.

#76 5 years ago

I'm open to anything that is a good game. Heck, I even bought IMDN.

#77 5 years ago

I'm not a fan at all of Iron Maiden but I had a blast playing the pin. So I think that it just goes to show that its not always about the theme.

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from nikpinball:

Licensing probably not an issue since they're down to earth dudes and love toys. They still make music.

GZA came through the other night (he was performing next door) and played some pinball (Banzai Run) so there's that. Wu-Tang is the no-brainer for this. Tons of great music, 9 members to select & major crossover appeal in terms of what Stern seems to want to do (lifestyle brand).

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I don't think anyone cares aboot the punk years in relation to their rap career.

As usual Law the point goes way over your head, take it out the sand for once there’s a beautiful world above ground

#80 5 years ago

Would the price per game be.....50 cents?

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Quoted from J85M:

As usual Law the point goes way over your head, take it out the sand for once there’s a beautiful world above ground

Please explain.

#82 5 years ago

As the Rock band well dries up (already have tables) I would hope we move on to bands like Foo Fighters or Black Keys.

The market research will show if rap belongs in pinball.

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

Some white guys are open minded, and some aren't unfortunately.

"Open mindedness" has zero to do with my taste in music and I resent the implication. I was hoping the debate here would remain civil(and for the most part it has) but someone always has to raise this invalid point. The music I listen to and purchase comes from a very diverse bunch in the music industry. Always has. Always will. As a "crotchety old white guy" I know what I like and what I don't. Not caring for the vast majority of rap music doesn't make me "closed minded." Move on.

Shawn

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

There should be a rap pin.

God no.

Now get off my lawn! And pull your damn pants up for chrissake!

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

Beastie Boys is at the top of my themes list for my first home brew. Its rich with a range of music, great visuals to build from, that make easily into modes.
    It has a great beat for pace. Who can't imagine two spinner disks below the flippers as turntables 'mixing things up'. Well if you can't.... I can and. already have!
    ok...now at the top of my list who need to wait for stern.... well everyone. Its probably going to take me a while.

License to Ill!!

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Please explain.

Think of the song "Shes on it" or "Cookie Puss"

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Think of the song "Shes on it" or "Cookie Puss"

Familiar with them, and i'm still waiting for his point.

#88 5 years ago

"Not caring for the vast majority of rap music doesn't make me "closed minded."

Wrong it is almost the very definition of close minded, tbh.

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Familiar with them, and i'm still waiting for his point.

gotcha.

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from japespin:

Collectors, yes. But on location, no. If you go to any of the barcades in my area on any given weekend, those venues are filled with anything BUT the majority demo that frequents this forum.

I don't think a pin would sell enough based on locations.

Home market seems to sell more nowadays.

#91 5 years ago

Right I replied to you twice in between jobs but thought I would just use them both.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Please explain.

I thought the point was pretty clear within the first paragraph of my initial post. But I’ll take another stab at it just for you.

First thing I love the Beastie Boys and their rap style would be awesome for pinball, but for a first mash up/cross over of pinball and rap/hip-hop you have to go to the biggest names most of which started out as rap mcs and are also purer form of genre which imo as a rap fan is important for a first release.

Plus I always thought the idea of any cross over is to promote both sides in this case pinball & rap/hip-hop and when doing that for your first time the Beastie Boys loose out to the heavy hitters: Wu-Tang, NWA, Run DMC, Public Enemy all come before Beastie Boys and like I said I f’in love them.

Quoted from TheLaw:

That’s also pretty ignorant, as their early years leading into the group reshuffling/rebranding shaped their evolution into a hip-hop group, without those early years and tracks like a**hole they would have never developed their rap wrecking crew style, without that there wouldn’t be any Beastie Boys, without the Beastie Boys there wouldn’t be any Eminem, without Eminem their wouldn’t be NF, so early years matter just in this case there’s bigger names that where founded from rap origins to begin with that should get the shot first!

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

Would the price per game be.....50 cents?

b8e979f85d052a1458bca6450b9f553ec134a486 (resized).jpgb8e979f85d052a1458bca6450b9f553ec134a486 (resized).jpg
    #93 5 years ago

Rap is crap unless it’s old school. Long live Rock n Roll.

#94 5 years ago

Rap sucks for a pin title, face it!

#95 5 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Right I replied to you twice in between jobs but thought I would just use them both.

Thanks. Neither of them make much sense and I really have no idea what the hell you're trying to say.

Quoted from J85M:

Why can't you exactly? I'm sure you think you've explained it but you haven't.

Anyway, it's just bogging down this thread so let's let it go & agree that the other person makes no sense. We need to keep this thread clean for people to yell and hate rap music.

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

"Open mindedness" has zero to do with my taste in music and I resent the implication. I was hoping the debate here would remain civil(and for the most part it has) but someone always has to raise this invalid point. The music I listen to and purchase comes from a very diverse bunch in the music industry. Always has. Always will. As a "crotchety old white guy" I know what I like and what I don't. Not caring for the vast majority of rap music doesn't make me "closed minded." Move on.
    Shawn

It's one thing to think "not my cup of tea", but often on these forums the idea of a pin based on hip hop culture is met with strong opposition. I really don't like rock or metal at all, but I'll play loads of Metallica and Maiden and totally get into it. I even start signing some of the bits I know as I play haha.

I'm certain at some level, this boils down to race or intolerance. Not for all, but definitely for some.

I'm happy to have games like Maiden. They take me out of the genre of music I gravitate towards generally, and introduce me to something new.

I think a well executed Wu-Tang pin would transcend many musical borders, and probably create a lot of appreciation for the great music they've produced.

And let's face it, if your introduction to hip hop was the garbage that currently is available, you'd probably be right to have this negative idea of it. But give 90s hip hop an honest chance, and you'll see the music was part of a much larger thing. It touches on many hot subjects, including many of the socioeconomic issues that plague North America.

It was an ingenious platform of music that allowed the artist to tell a real story the resonated with those living it, and introduced the rest of us to a reality we were likely ignorant and oblivious to.

Pinball needs this!

#97 5 years ago

Something like this? Might be a market, it does have over 185million views

#98 5 years ago

Beside the debate as to if Rap is viable for a pin, or which group/artist makes the most sense, I would like to open the convo here as to which games already have a rap backbone to them.

The only one I can think of is Class of 1812, which is partly why I think I'll never be able to get rid of it. It's got DJ'ing/turntablism in it (20+ year hobby of mine), the main play tune is soooooo funky, and each character raps. Doesn't get much cooler than that for an original themed early 90's pin. Just goes to show hip-hop's far reach across demographics back then, which is when it was starting to catch real fire with the nation.

My vote would be Wu-Tang for the true hip hop heads and due to their immense number of classic albums that could be modes and mini modes, making you unlock all the characters and their best individual album (RZA, GZA, ODB, Insp. Deck, Raekwon, UGod, GFace, Method) plus other mini bosses like Cappadonna. The Shaolin land martial arts themes and hand drawn art on many of the albums is ripe for the picking if licensing works out.

My vote for what I think would be an all around pin community pleaser, that could be good for all ages, would be something like Run DMC, given their crossover into mainstream rock in the late 80's and they're a known brand that speaks to classic upbeat rap party music.

An honorable mention for a game that is artist related, but not necessarily about them exclusively, would be if Outkast was the foundational artist of a game that had a fictional story line, like Alice Cooper Nightmare Castle. Think of Big Bang Bar with a little more urban street stories mixed into it.

74002601 (resized).jpg74002601 (resized).jpg
    class1812_0 (resized).jpgclass1812_0 (resized).jpg

#99 5 years ago

I'd be down for a Vanilla Ice pin, but the speakers would have to be Cerwin-Vega.

#100 5 years ago

Buy a Mustang and replace the songs with your favorites. NWA's California is a track on my Mustang and fits perfectly.

There are 411 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/there-should-be-a-rap-pin-/page/2?hl=alexmogil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.