(Topic ID: 89858)

There seems to be a lot of spammers lately

By Kineticross

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

So what has been happening on Pinside lately?

Every day I go onto the site (typically near the beginning of the week) there's always two or so posters, who always have exactly 101k karma points. The posters put up a title for their thread that almost always makes no sense, start typing a terribly ungrammatical sentence, and then post links to places to watch *FREE 2014 MOVIES TO WATCH ONLINE FREE* or absurd forum addresses from 20 years ago. Sorry but someone is going to have to end the spammer's reign.

#2 9 years ago

If you are only seeing 2 or so per day, consider yourself lucky. I count 35 spam-banned accounts just on page 1 of the moderator dashboard. I know I'm taking down 3-4 a day, in addition to the other mods doing about the same. Robin put in a new filter to try to slow/stop it, but there are still a few coming through.

The absolute best thing anyone can do if you see spam is to report it via the "report" link. That puts it directly on the moderator dashboard so that we can see it and quickly ban the account. The threads move so fast these days that I'm sure there are some we miss, so reporting them helps us out greatly. Do not click on the links in the post, and you can tilt the post if you'd like to give a little more protection.

#3 9 years ago

When I see a spam post, I report it.

#4 9 years ago

My guess is it is the same few spammers who found a place which they know they can post in and get their $.01 per post and they have passed the info to their sweatshop buddy in the computer next to them. Just a guess though. I expect them keep creating new accounts and posting here every day until it becomes more work creating a new account than they want to put in.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/there-seems-to-be-a-lot-of-spammers-lately and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.