3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Pin_Guy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_2944 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DumbAss.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 3 years ago

As someone who has done this with several of my own different boards ... it's an awesome feeling to take a bare board, acquire all the required components, prepare any components for assembly, assemble the board to completion (over the course of days to weeks), test it in my bench rig and have it work. The icing on the cake is putting the board into a machine and have it working there. I know it's not for everyone but the sense of accomplishing something is a great feeling of achievement.

#7 3 years ago

I have an old spreadsheet that I was using for BOM computation (I've since discarded it in favor of a newer one for my own boards rather than Williams boards). When I look at that sheet I see a BOM of about $30 (does not include the ASIC nor the EPROM) for the Williams board. Some of the pricing I've used is old and may not take into account additional discounts from merchants for quantity purchases (i.e. it only computes the cost level of the actual number required).

Boards with more expensive BOMs are those that include transistors (TIP102 and TIP36C), high capacitance capacitors (e.g. 10,000uF@35V radial snap-in) and fuse cartridges. The System 11 CPU BOM I have in this sheet shows about $150 and the WPC-95 power driver BOM shows about $150 for everything. Each higher priced component increases the BOM fairly quickly.

If you calculate the bare board, BOM and labor altogether then Rottendog prices are actually reasonable. Some ICs on old boards are harder to find and if you buy an already manufactured board you don't have to deal with that (such as risk purchasing from eBay merchants). Rottendog also includes a warranty if something goes wrong. If you build your own ... you're on your own.

The reasons to build your own are those mentioned here. They are among others ability to select manufacturers of components , ability to socket all ICs and sense of accomplishment.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DumbAss.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/there-s-one-more-wpc-cpu-board?tu=DumbAss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.