(Topic ID: 224447)

There's One More WPC-95 A/V Board

By wallybgood

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_1339 (resized).JPG
    100_1327 (resized).JPG
    100_1318 (resized).JPG

#1 5 years ago

Just finished building a WPC-95 A/V Board from parts.
    Decided not to populate the RS-232 option (serial port) or the H-V section and 12VDC. (running ColorDMD on all my pins)
    Most components are from Great Plains Electronics and if Ed did not have them, from Mouser. Used 6264LP and CY7C185-35 for Ram. Went with Nichicon audio grade caps for C36,37. AD1851 and ADSP 2105 from Ebay. TDA2030AV Audio Amps from Pinball Life. Used the gold plated double row connectors for 601, 602, and 603. (Ed has these in stock)
    Bare board from Mr P and the ASIC from PSPA.
    The ASIC and ADSP need to be surface mount soldered. Rob Anthony soldered these two. I’m a novice at SMT and the ASIC with its fine pitch would have been difficult for me. I installed sockets for the remainder of the ICs.
    The Static Ram, ASIC, ADSP2105, AD1851 and 2030AV Audio Amps are all obsolete but there seems to be a lot in stock from various suppliers.
    Component and bare board costs were around $240 shipped.
    There are a few mistakes in the assy diagrams from the game manuals. The parts list and schematics are accurate.
    Interesting project. Had a good dose of soldering, should last me for a while. Running it along with the Driver Board that I built last year.
    Wally

100_1318 (resized).JPG100_1318 (resized).JPG100_1327 (resized).JPG100_1327 (resized).JPG100_1339 (resized).JPG100_1339 (resized).JPG

#2 5 years ago

Very nice and nice to see this can be done.

#3 5 years ago

Indeed - nice work! Also notice you've got the light board completely removed. I've never done that when working on my games but it sure makes sense if doing a lot of backbox work. Thanks for sharing!

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H and model S Skee Ball

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

Indeed - nice work! Also notice you've got the light board completely removed. I've never done that when working on my games but it sure makes sense if doing a lot of backbox work. Thanks for sharing!
    -Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H and model S Skee Ball

These era games have tubs in the backbox, No door.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from wallybgood:

Just finished building a WPC-95 A/V Board from parts.
    Decided not to populate the RS-232 option (serial port) or the H-V section and 12VDC. (running ColorDMD on all my pins)
    Most components are from Great Plains Electronics and if Ed did not have them, from Mouser. Used 6264LP and CY7C185-35 for Static Ram. Went with Nichicon audio grade caps for C36,37. AD1851 and ADSP 2105 from Ebay. TDA2030AV Audio Amps from Pinball Life. Used the gold plated double row connectors for 601, 602, and 603. (Ed has these in stock)
    Bare board from Mr P and the ASIC from PSPA.
    The ASIC and ADSP need to be surface mount soldered. Rob Anthony soldered these two. I’m a novice at SMT and the ASIC with its fine pitch would have been difficult for me. I installed sockets for the remainder of the ICs.
    The Static Ram, ASIC, ADSP2105, AD1851 and 2030AV Audio Amps are all obsolete but there seems to be a lot in stock from various suppliers.
    Component and bare board costs were around $240 shipped.
    There are a few mistakes in the assy diagrams from the game manuals. The parts list and schematics are accurate.
    Interesting project. Had a good dose of soldering, should last me for a while. Running it along with the Driver Board that I built last year.
    Wally
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great Job, we are building a small batch of them now complete. We also the newer faster asic

#7 5 years ago

I received a couple of questions and thought that I would reply here also.
    I went with Nichicon UFW Audio Grade series caps for C36,C37. (10000 uf) just as an experiment. I can't tell any difference in sound quality. Standard caps would have been fine.
    The audio grade caps are 10mm taller and might have clearance problems in some pins. No clearance problems with my MM, MB, AFM, or CC.
    WPC-95 A/V bare boards are available from Mr P Aus.
    ebay.com link: Original WPC 95 A V Board Bare Genuine NOS Part Mr Pinball Manufacturing
    Wally

#8 5 years ago

I received a couple more PM's over the weekend.
    The 12VDC section does not need to be populated when running ColorDMD. 12VDC regulated enters on J606 and is only used to supply U22 (serial port chip which I did not use) and J604 which was the supply for the plasma DMD. The audio section of the A/V board is supplied by 18VAC which is rectified for the audio amps.
    The ASIC is available from PSPA for $27 shipped!
    ebay.com link: Williams Bally WPC 95 AV ASIC IC 5410 14705 00
    The Audio Amp heat sinks are available from Ed at Great Plains Electronics.
    https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=529802B02500G
    Wally

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/there-s-one-more-wpc-95-a-v-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.