(Topic ID: 292782)

There's one more Addams Family

By wallybgood

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_4662 (resized).JPG
    100_1123 (resized).JPG
    100_1111 (resized).JPG
    100_1083 (resized).JPG
    100_1071 (resized).JPG
    100_3193 (resized).JPG
    100_2339 (resized).JPG
    100_2336 (resized).JPG
    100_2324 (resized).JPG
    100_2318 (resized).JPG
    100_1376 (resized).JPG
    100_1374 (resized).JPG
    100_1369 (resized).JPG
    100_4427 (resized).JPG
    100_4555 (resized).JPG
    100_4611 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wallybgood.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Built an Addams Family completely from parts this winter/spring. NLA parts that were handmade include wire harnesses, ball guides / metal parts, light insert panel, and Thing box. Have all guides and various metal brackets in CAD if anyone else needs them. Laser cut from 18ga stainless by HeMan40 (Dino) then bent with small brakes and hand tools. Converted to a “Stern type” slide out playfield system. Makes for easy access to playfield assemblies. Was able to make the backboard taller and added some graphics. Went with Fliptronics 2 and PBL flipper optos. Running ColorDmd LED display. Populated a bare sound board by Victor T (Dumbass) Most excellent Greed Book Mod from Mark Jenison. Pioneer backbox speakers w/Lpad.
    Painted and decaled the head/cab using Phoenix Arcade silkscreened art. PinGraffix for PinBlades. Local dude, Bill Webb built the sweet bare cab. Bare head from Virtua Pin.
    Used playfield from Pinside Market that was listed as touched up and cleared by HEP. Looks really sweet! Color scheme for jets/buttons inspired by HEP Thank you, Chris, for hosting your wonderful gallery of past restorations.
    Thanks to Dankme (Steve) for drawing the lampboard PCB’s. Thanks to Greg Bitz for measuring guides/brackets on his TAF. Thanks to Gatordad (Mike C) for allowing me to check some of his TAF wiring. I have some really great pinball buds.
    Wouldn’t be possible without these most excellent parts suppliers- Pinball Life, Marco, MantisA, PSPA, PBR, PPS, P Inc, Classic A, SF, MrP, Arakissun, Pinball Basement, Comet, Titan. Thank you IPDB for archiving parts lists, manuals, ROM images.
    More pics on my OneDrive https://tinyurl.com/58um9vza (disregard date stamps)
    Wally

100_4593 (resized).JPG100_4593 (resized).JPG100_4611 (resized).JPG100_4611 (resized).JPG100_4553 (resized).JPG100_4553 (resized).JPG100_4555 (resized).JPG100_4555 (resized).JPG100_4487 (resized).JPG100_4487 (resized).JPG100_4484 (resized).JPG100_4484 (resized).JPG100_4493 (resized).JPG100_4493 (resized).JPG100_4541 (resized).JPG100_4541 (resized).JPG100_4170 (resized).JPG100_4170 (resized).JPG100_4561 (resized).JPG100_4561 (resized).JPG
    #5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

Looks like the battery pack for the MPU. If it's attached there it seems inconvenient

Yep, battery pack.

#28 2 years ago

Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone. Love every aspect of this hobby from deciphering parts lists, looking for parts, to sanding/bondo/painting, making parts that aren't available, building wire harnesses, bending metal, everything. To top things off, along the way I’ve met some really good pinheads.
    Wally

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Looks great!!!I love the taller backboard and slide out system.
    Tough one to build from scratch and convert.

Thanks, Chris.
    I was able to fit a 7 in x 19 3/8 in. backboard. Clearance from the top of the backboard to the cab neck ended up to be 3/16 in. The width is smaller than the original because it has to clear the slide and pivot support bracket when the playfield is in the fully raised position resting against the head. (backboard dips below horizontal)
    Wally

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

so.... um. happen to have a dropbox full of details?
    An absolutely amazing job. How's it play?

Hey Yak
    I uploaded pics to my OneDrive https://tinyurl.com/58um9vza (disregard date stamps)
    Plays fast!
    Wally

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

Wally has done it AGAIN.
    Can we get him designated as a pinball machine manufacturer?
    So far WallyBeGood Manufacturing has brought us:
    MMw
    AFMw
    SSw
    MBw
    TAFw
    ...and I might even be missing one. WBG, Inc has put out so many machines one tends to forget just how many they have produced!

Thanks, Terry.
    Also CC. Running with Eric P's CCC code. Sweet pin!

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Awesome !
    I really liked the pinblades and backboard graphics.
    What did you use for the backboard ?

Hey ZZZ
    Found a haunted mansion wallpaper graphic on line. My son, Gregg, color matched to the PinGraffix side blades and overlaid with a "grunge effect". Then printed on photo paper at Staples and glued to backboard with 3M spray adhesive.
    Wally

100_4427 (resized).JPG100_4427 (resized).JPG
    #43 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zigzagzag:

It looks really great - would you be willing to share the file ?

Yep, no problem. Happy to share.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

Incredible. Super curious of a ballpark of how much that cost you (not counting time, obviously).

Around $6000.
    I generally start looking for parts years in advance of starting so I run into some really sweet deals. I was able to find some parts on Pinside Market, Ebay and from pinball buds (who know that I’m looking for parts) at very reasonable prices. For example, the used power transformer was $80, and a complete wiring harness (from a WPC-95 pin) was $50. Also, I bought quite a few "show specials" at Expo and TPF. Great deals are always found at the pinball shows. Marco always runs a free shipping incentive at shows. TAF topper was $100 at Expo. The Pinball Life open house during Expo is a great time to buy parts. I was able to find some parts from a TAF that was in a fire. (They still smelled like smoke) Somewhere around $1000 in parts if new for $300. Took time but everything cleaned up well. Pics are the bookcase, before and after. I restore many used parts like the coin door (the TAF one was recovered from a flood), pop mechs, sling mechs, flipper mechs and targets. If you want all new parts and you want them tomorrow, costs will be substantially higher. Could double easily. The only parts that I always buy new are the playfield (or pro restored original), anything plastic, glass, SS side rails and cab/head decals. New parts are sweet but taking old beat up ones and bringing then back to life is really rewarding.
    I enjoy sanding/bondo/painting/applying decals to the cab and head myself. I find building wire harnesses a nice diversion. I also built the Sound Board and MPU from parts. Gotta’ love the smell of soldering in the morning.
    Wally

100_1376 (resized).JPG100_1376 (resized).JPG100_1374 (resized).JPG100_1374 (resized).JPG100_1369 (resized).JPG100_1369 (resized).JPG100_2318 (resized).JPG100_2318 (resized).JPG
    #47 2 years ago
    Quoted from vec-tor:

Did you make/find the wedge slips for the bookcase assembly?... or did you leave out?

If you are referring to the bookcase shims, they are available at Marco. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-10759

Wally

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

So amazing as always Wally. Cheers!

Gotta' stop over for a beer and check it out.

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

Stunning work!
    With your advanced planning what games are next?

IJ would be sweet.

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from Elicash:

So looks like you find old and / or rusty under cab parts. Do you get them plated? If yes is it nickel or zinc? And about how much is cost? Beautiful work congrats.

So far, I have met my desired results by tumbling or hand polishing. Have not had anything plated or powder coated yet. Sometimes after removing major rust I will lightly clear coat or paint. (the TAF bookcase brkt was lightly cleared) I have also become a big fan of Eastwood Silver Cad. Before and after on a used Thing Kickout.
    Wally

100_2324 (resized).JPG100_2324 (resized).JPG100_2336 (resized).JPG100_2336 (resized).JPG100_2339 (resized).JPG100_2339 (resized).JPG
    #57 2 years ago
    Quoted from Elicash:

Did you buy some mdf and make the light panel yourself? Assume you have a certain level of wood working skills to make it so exactly perfect. I am going to need to do this for my Whirlwind rebuild but I don't have these skills/tools Would love to hear how you did this.

Hey Eli
    MDF from Home Depot. I cut to size either on a table saw (sometimes with just a circular saw/guide) HD will cut to size if you wait. I drill holes with Forstner bits. Seems like I get cleaner holes with these. 5/8 in for GI and 7/8 in for flash. I have a couple of larger hole saws(McMaster) for the top-center hole to clear backbox lock/key . Always drill with a backer board so the MDF doesn't get damaged when the bit goes through. I just use standard metal sockets. For cutouts, I drill holes in the corners and finish up with my Bosch jigsaw. (really like that thing) Spray with Semi-Gloss White. Attached are pics of the TAF insert panel and some of the insert panel build when I did Scared Stiff. I have never had to make the cutout on the bottom of the panel like some originals. My straight across cut bottom always clears the ColorDMD.
    Wally

100_1071 (resized).JPG100_1071 (resized).JPG100_1083 (resized).JPG100_1083 (resized).JPG100_1111 (resized).JPG100_1111 (resized).JPG100_1123 (resized).JPG100_1123 (resized).JPG100_3193 (resized).JPG100_3193 (resized).JPG100_4662 (resized).JPG100_4662 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wallybgood.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/there-s-one-more-addams-family?tu=wallybgood and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.