36%
  • Black Knight premium 14 votes
    7%

(194 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3AD4A133-3C30-4639-BE55-A0835C9FED19 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Looking to buy new Stern premium, but limited to one. If you could only have one, which one? Lastability would seem to be a most important aspect in a single pin landscape. Vote and opine.

#2 4 years ago

I thought you were gonna talk about Highlander...then I saw the phrase wasn't quite right.

#3 4 years ago

cody_chunn Highlander would be an awesome theme with some great call-outs.

#5 4 years ago

Out of your list, Deadpool. Followed by Iron Maiden.

After that, meh, toss the names in a hat, buy them, and be disappointed. Then sell hem and get one of the better two.

Star Wars can’t be saved for me no matter what happens, because I don’t like the playfield. I don’t find it fun to shoot, and that is critical for a game.

Black Knight SOR seems to me like it would get boring fast. It’s possible the software could change that, but for now, it’s not really there.

#6 4 years ago

Not a fanboy of the theme. Never got into comics. But Deadpool to me had the most replay-ability than anything out New right now.

#7 4 years ago

Personally out of your list I think you can go Pro on Deadpool & Iron Maiden, I don't think the Premium is worth the extra money to upgrade. BKSOR and Star Wars are games I think need to be Premiums. I think Star Wars wins that battle especially if you are a fan of the movies.

#8 4 years ago

Maiden, DP, for Pre models but I prefer SW's and BK3 Pro all 4 are pretty great with BK3pro being my top pick of the lot.

#9 4 years ago

I put a ton of games in on a Deadpool yesterday and I have concluded that it's special and a must have. Iron Maiden is pretty sick too, though.

#10 4 years ago

I haven’t found a Spike game I love. I’d say DP but not as good as ST or AcDc or TWD or Metallica imo

#11 4 years ago

rai TWD would work if it were vaulted with new art.

#12 4 years ago

Deadpool

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Asmodeus:

rai TWD would would work if it were vaulted with new art.

It’s tough because the new LCD games look great. SW is awesome theme but not sure what about the rules.

Maiden is fun but I just don’t love it.

I haven’t played BK Premium but played the pro. Loved it at first but played again and didn’t like it.

DP is the opposite where it has grown on me. I’m still not crazy about it but I think it’s got good layout and good rules.

BM66 I want to like but every game I play in location plays like crap. Maybe I need to play a home location set up.

#14 4 years ago

SW rules are solid, challenging and there’s a ton to do. Theme integration is amazing. Great staying power IMO. I own a pro.

Deadpool is really fun. I play it on route as often as I can. I could probably buy one.

INMD is another great game for shots and depth. Theme does nothing for me, but I’d like to own it someday.

Black Knight probably worst of the 4, but I still enjoy the pro I play on location. Fast and fun.

#15 4 years ago

Iron Maiden.

#16 4 years ago

Coolpinballdino Iron Maiden is slowly catching up to Deadpool.

#17 4 years ago

With that title I thought this was going to be a Highlander pinball thread.

#18 4 years ago

Poor BK not getting any love.

#19 4 years ago

TigerLaw Highlander must have been on the brain when I wrote the title, but I think two words need to be switched to make it legit.

#20 4 years ago

Tough question because I think these are the four best SPIKE games.

Toss up between BK and DP for me. For a 1-game setup I might err on the side of DP simply because the code is much further evolved than BK; that being said, BK code is getting ongoing updates and looks as if it could mature into something truly great. Both games are gorgeous (unless you dislike red!) and have great themes, and both shoot very well and have a nice variety of shots and classic pinball goodness like spinners and drop targets.

IMDN and SW are great too, but to me both fall a little short of the “total package” you would want in a single-pin situation.

#21 4 years ago

I own 3 of the poll choices (though my SW and IMDN are pros).

IMDN wins the total package
DP wins the fun dept With the total package but can be klunky.
SW wins the intensity players game.

Overall. It’s really really close; but I’d go SW over DP over IMDN. All by nano hairs lol.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

With that title I thought this was going to be a Highlander pinball thread.

3AD4A133-3C30-4639-BE55-A0835C9FED19 (resized).jpeg3AD4A133-3C30-4639-BE55-A0835C9FED19 (resized).jpeg
#23 4 years ago

I've only played a couple games on Deadpool; I'm not into the theme at all and it seemed pretty cool. I have an Iron Maiden premium and can tell you it's a pretty dang good game and it's on my long-term keeper list. I think you are getting good advice on DP or IMDN. I don't like any of the Star Wars games, I do like Black Knight but I don't think it would have lastability in a single or small game collection.

Let us know what you pick!

#24 4 years ago

Good luck op, but I would wait till you can afford a few new pins or buy cheaper used ones. One pin lineups get old quick.

#25 4 years ago

I could never get into Star Wars. Too heavy on the multipliers.

Game felt like a multiplier mess, constantly slapping the button, and turning on and off the multipliers, moving them to maximize value. Too much of it makes the scoring feel unbalanced.

#26 4 years ago

Original post was a let down... No highlander content... Not even a reference to the sensation that is the quickening...
But, the other posts made my day.
Highlander is my favorite movie. Seen it over 100 times... Watched the series start to finish 2.5 full times and want to re-start it over again and make it a complete 3 times start to finish.

First movie is just soooo good.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Original post was a let down... No highlander content... Not even a reference to the sensation that is the quickening...
But, the other posts made my day.
Highlander is my favorite movie. Seen it over 100 times... Watched the series start to finish 2.5 full times and want to re-start it over again and make it a complete 3 times start to finish.
First movie is just soooo good.

I would be all-in on a highlander pin!

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I would be all-in on a highlander pin!

Too many good pins to choose from...
Cos... I'd have to be too... But, I'm not super rich and don't have that much space in my house...

But, you know... Let's also be honest that Aliens and Predator, they're not good pins. Aliens isn't too bad, but its not good. Its only decent. Like the ball lock. Predator is so bad they didn't even program auto ball search. You got to hold a button down to trigger it.

I'd want one, but only if its Jersey Jack or Stern. Would be cool to have a katana ramp like deadpool... But, would have to find a way to make it unique and not just ripping off deadpool.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Game felt like a multiplier fuckfest, constantly slapping the button, and turning on and off the multipliers, moving them to maximize value. Too much of it makes the scoring feel unbalanced.

You need to watch some dead flip videos and/or listen to what some experienced players say about the multipliers.

#30 4 years ago

I own an Iron Maiden Premium and I love it, but I'm also a huge fan of the band. For me it was a no-brainer, but the fact that many pinheads hate the theme or are at best indifferent and yet still love the game says a lot.

#31 4 years ago

I feel like metallica should be on here...

#32 4 years ago

"You are boring me!"

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from mikeking:

I own an Iron Maiden Premium and I love it, but I'm also a huge fan of the band. For me it was a no-brainer, but the fact that many pinheads hate the theme or are at best indifferent and yet still love the game says a lot.

I really don't care for Iron Maiden music or the whole Eddie thing but want a premium. I just can't get enough of gameplay. Rules are pretty simple to pick up and just flat out fun to play.

Star Wars is a lot of fun but can't help to feel it could of been done better. I love the multiplier system since it's something always in effect. Might be worth getting if you can find one cheap.

Deadpool didn't seem that great when I played it after release but not into theme. I found a lot of the game annoying and layout felt clunky. Beautiful game, though. Code updates supposedly improved things quite a bit but haven't played it recently.

BK not getting much love. Maybe there is a lot of people like me who haven't played it yet.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Game felt like a multiplier fuckfest, constantly slapping the button, and turning on and off the multipliers, moving them to maximize value. Too much of it makes the scoring feel unbalanced.

That's one of the rare pins my father almost always kicks my butt on. He's a savant on that pin. But, he doesn't know what he's doing. I hate the code... It's not fun. Its way too complicated and I don't want to take the time to learn it, I just want to shoot and learn as I go... But, its impossible to learn that way. Not saying the code is bad, just saying its not for me.

So I agree with you. But, I do like to shoot the pin. As I like the Prem model and the hyper loop.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

That's one of the rare pins my father almost always kicks my butt on. He's a savant on that pin. But, he doesn't know what he's doing. I hate the code... It's not fun. Its way too complicated and I don't want to take the time to learn it, I just want to shoot and learn as I go... But, its impossible to learn that way. Not saying the code is bad, just saying its not for me.
So I agree with you. But, I do like to shoot the pin. As I like the Prem model and the hyper loop.

Rules aren’t as complex as they appear to be. I was in the same boat as a lot of haters of this pin. Heck even my good friend RobT hated owning his for months and wanted to like it but was on the cusp of selling til I showed him a few subtle pointers. Now it’s one of his favorite pins.

Here’s the deal, if you actually want to learn and understand what’s going on:

+ 1st. Put the multipliers on the main 3 shots; Death Star, Endor, Hoth and leave them there, don’t need to do anything with them for rest of the game. Boom solved multiplier complexity.

+ 2nd. Look at the playfield inserts when you’re selecting your mission, not the display. Learn to read the insert matrix board. i.e. Get 3 missions lit solid and you will light the big insert for multiball. Note: Some characters spot mission(s) from the beginning.

+ 3rd. Don’t ever stack missions (to start). Learn the missions. Start with a group of missions (like all the Death Star missions) and just keep playing those all the time til you understand them. Then move onto the next planet of missions.

+ 4th. Lastly, learn and understand the countdown timers. Some missions have a countdown hurryup timer, if time expires the mission will either start from the beginning or go back a few shots. There’s a couple missions that only take 2 shots to finish, but if you don’t know about the timer it’ll feel like an eternity.

That’s the base of it. The rest comes from normal playing and learning.

#36 4 years ago

Great points and opinions. Still on the fence as to what to purchase. Seeing some similarities between the layouts of Iron Maiden and, one of my favorites, Skateball. Do any of you notice similarities between the games listed (besides the obvious ones related to the Black Knight series) and any of your favorites of old?

#37 4 years ago

Thinking that in the long run, Iron Maiden will win this one.

#38 4 years ago

Played both Maiden and DP today can not go wrong with either one. I think DP is more fun/funny and Maiden is more serious. Both have lots of and interesting shots not cookie cutter.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Out of your list, Deadpool. Followed by Iron Maiden.
After that, meh, toss the names in a hat, buy them, and be disappointed. Then sell hem and get one of the better two.
Star Wars can’t be saved for me no matter what happens, because I don’t like the playfield. I don’t find it fun to shoot, and that is critical for a game.
Black Knight SOR seems to me like it would get boring fast. It’s possible the software could change that, but for now, it’s not really there.

Couldn't be farther from the truth on BK premium. The game is incredible right now and will hopefully keep getting better. The pro might fit your description. The premium just makes you want to play more. My other games aren't really getting much play right now.

#40 4 years ago

metallica premium

#41 4 years ago

ercvacation Definately interested in BK3 premium. Liking the idea of different locations so there may be many more things to fight within those places.

#42 4 years ago

DP Premium.....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 64.99
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/there-can-only-be-one?hl=pindoctor82 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.