Conan-OBrien-Inappropriate.png
CPI.png
img304.jpg
Barb.jpg
crowded-surfing.jpg
image.jpg
un-nice.jpg
IMG_2297.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xerico.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from stainedundies:

At TPF they gave out cash prizes for every tournament except women's... That's fucked up

Quoted from stainedundies:

Even the kids tournament had cash prizes!!!

Allow me to clarify a bit.

The woman's tournament at TPF was a FREE event for the ladies. Their scores from the Wizard tournament were used to qualify for a top 8. We chose this path because we wanted the ladies to have a chance to earn WPPR points as a ladies only event would earn zero WPPR points. In previous years, a cash entry for the ladies event, along with a cash prize, was not as successful enticing large numbers of ladies to compete. So we tried an approach that was successful.

The ladies paid to play in the Wizard's event. So they earned WPPR points for the Wizard AND their best scores were used to qualify for the Top 8 Ladies Event. So ladies were able to use one paid entry as a chance to win trophies in two different events. No other demographic was offered that opportunity.

The TPF added a Ladies Playoffs, along with trophies as prizes, for the top three ladies. So while cash prizes may not have been given out, we did invest in the event by providing trophies. Maybe that's not enough, and I'm sure the TPF Team will have a serious discussion regarding future ladies tournaments.

Marcus

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

Did you let them know up front that there was no cash prize for the women's division?

Every tournament on the TPF main website had a section describing the event. Every event that had a cash payout was clearly labeled. The Ladies Tournament did not have a cash prize award listed. In our eyes, we made an assumption that people would read the website before attending the TPF, especially tournament players. Since there was confusion, I'm sure the TPF Team will improve communication regarding the formats and prizes of all tournament events in the future.

Quoted from Law:

From what I heard there were a number of women that were not "seriously" competing in the wizards but were participating because they were obligated to to enter the womens tourney.

While their focus may have been on the Ladies Tournament, the rules were set in place well before the actual event. The 2015 TPF Ladies Event was a free event that used Wizard Tournament entries to determine the top 8 ladies. Ladies that wanted to qualify for the Top 8 Ladies Tournament had to play the Wizards event. While some ladies may not have enjoyed that stipulation, it was the rules of that particular event. These rules were clearly defined before the event and reinforced during the event.

Quoted from Law:

In fact, it seemed more like a way for you to get more participants in the wizards tourney than it did a way to allow the women two-for-one entry.

If that is the perception of a few, then I cannot change their minds. All I can do is shed light on the true reason the decision was made. We could have charged money for the event, and if past TPFs were any indication, then we would have had a much smaller participant pool. Instead of having 23 ladies competing, we would have had 8-12 competing. So a decision was made to make the ladies event as attractive as possible. Maybe the 2 for 1 entry was a mistake. It's definitely something that will be discussed before TPF 2016.

As for increasing our wizards tourney participants, the ladies bolstered a strong field. However, their participation was not necessary in order to reach the 100% threshold established by the IFPA as we had well over 64 players in the event. In fact, we chose the Wizards event over the other events as we believed it offered the best distribution of games across many eras, thus enforcing the belief that the Ladies Champion should be able to play well on every era of machines.

The 2015 participation was a terrific surprise. Increasing participation by close to 100% is a fantastic step forward. I'm sure the 2016 TPF will do a better job of recognizing competitive pinball for Ladies.

Marcus

#130 8 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

So, it wasn't really "free", a female couldn't just try the womens tourney out without paying, could she?
How many of them were really trying to qualify for the "wizards" division? How many made it?
It cost the women if they wanted to play in the women's tourney, but cover that anyway you want.

True. The only way a woman could have made the Ladies event was to play in the Wizards event. So in that sense, I concede that the event was not "FREE".

However, since these ladies' scores, and entries, counted towards the Wizards Event, we wanted to add an incentive for ladies to compete in the Wizards event. So to do that, we came up with the Ladies Event. These ladies still competed with the men for the Wizards Cash & Trophies. So we thought we were doing a good thing by providing these same competitive ladies an opportunity to compete against other ladies for some trophies for no additional cost.

That may have not been the perfect decision, but we felt that it was worth trying.
Luckily, in 2016, the Ladies will have their own division with their own cash & trophy prizes.

Quoted from DNO:

How many of them were really trying to qualify for the "wizards" division? How many made it?

Three ladies finished in the top 20.
Another two finished in the top 40, thereby qualifying for the Wizards Playoffs.
So that means at least 5 ladies were "really trying" to earn a spot in the Wizards Event.

Another five more finished in the bubble zone of top 41-60.

I cannot speak for the ladies in the bubble zone, but I'm willing to bet that each and every one of them was "really trying" to qualify for the Wizards Playoffs.

Marcus

#547 8 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Can I ask a mod to permanently thread eject me? I need to stop wasting my time with this train wreck, but have a hard time looking away.

Please use the drain feature as we do not eject people without cause.

Thanks.

Marcus

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball
Plastics
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 50.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Calgary, AB
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xerico.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/there-are-good-women-in-pinball?tu=xerico and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.