Conan-OBrien-Inappropriate.png
CPI.png
img304.jpg
Barb.jpg
crowded-surfing.jpg
image.jpg
un-nice.jpg
IMG_2297.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#3 8 years ago

Best example I have to explain it is that there is a guy who works at fabric store by my house that is the greatest knitter you have ever seen.

I mean he does such complicated geometrical patterns, you would think it's a Persian rug.

I'm always in there buying canvas, and he never fails to amaze me.

According to him, he is the only male knitter on KnitSide.com (or whatever) forum.

He says he has entered many contests around the country, but when the judges (always female) see he is a man, his work never wins anything.

When he has his daughters enter his work, they take second or first place every time.

#5 8 years ago

I call out Hava Berman, you go girl!!!!

She builds Pinball machines and does roller derby.

579713_10151292704027176_1975632433_n.jpg579713_10151292704027176_1975632433_n.jpg
#12 8 years ago
Quoted from stainedundies:

At TPF they gave out cash prizes for every tournament except women's... That's fucked up.

The women should just enter the men's tournaments and clean them out!

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

Sad to see a good pinsider who made positive contributions to the site leave in this way.

She will be back.

Molly is as tough as a junkyard pitbull.

#45 8 years ago

Was there anything preventing the ladies from simply playing in the men's competition?

#107 8 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Great that more ladies are speaking out.

That's the best thing women can do if they want to have a larger footprint in pinball - get out in front!

1. Pick a user name that proudly shows you are a woman!

Pinball_Polly, Girl Loves Waffles, Pin_Princess ..... Don't hide behind a man's name or go unnoticed with a gender neutral name.

2. Make helpful Posts!

Post of how you fixed something, or how to repair a backglass, or raised money for Children's Pinball or won a tournament.

3. Compete and beat the men!

Pinball (like darts or billiards) is not a game of strength, so don't let the men cheat you out of a prize - compete in the Men's League.

Nothing lets the "old boys" know who's the boss better than taking their money.

4. Be the "face" of local pinball.

Become the public interface for your local club.

When the local news show needs to fill a "public interest" slot, they would much rather use a woman's face than the usual 400 pound pinballler who looks like Jabba the Hut in four day old clothes.

And if you have the ability to do big hair - this is your chance to do big hair. If you watch the news, look how big hair dominates the air time. Oddly amazing.

#123 8 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I'm not ever going to complete with the guys in tournaments. I thought about it at the first pinball event I went to, then saw a literal mob of sweaty guys crowded into a roped-off area screaming, drinking, and paying lots of money to qualify over multiple tries.

Usually the men smell so bad, you can't believe their moms let them out of the basement for the weekend.

#132 8 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

vid, you have wonderful advice concerning repairs & restos, but you're not the spokesperson for getting women into pinball.

Never said I was a spokesperson.

I simply suggested ideas.

That's what a forum is supposed to be, an exchange of different ideas and opinions.

People can use them or ignore them; or even just keep them in the back of their mind.

Quoted from s1500:

Having an overly feminine name, in online gaming can often backfire. Suddenly white knighting and "show us your tits!" harassment comes out.

Maybe that comes out in online gaming (I've never seen it. It seems like 1/2 of all user names are OhMyGoddes, Miyu, Yuna.....or some combination like that ), but I guarantee that nowhere on Pinside has any female member been asked to "show us your tits". The mods would kill that in 2 seconds.

#146 8 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Women don't need to perform for anyone, or do anything special to have respect shown to them. Maybe you're saying it could help, but that's sad.

Don't confuse getting out front with getting respect.

In my town there is a single female garbage truck driver.

She is not the leader of the union, or anything like that, she is just a driver.

Yet, every time there is a strike or too much snow to collect or some other news, she is the goto woman for the media.

She is not a "Large Marge" or any other "female truck driver cliche", just a well spoken woman in a male dominated field - makes for great TV.

#153 8 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

I've heard that a good woman is hard to find

quote-a-hard-man-is-good-to-find-mae-west-196178.jpgquote-a-hard-man-is-good-to-find-mae-west-196178.jpg

#159 8 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

I'm not the confused one. I posted about women being treated badly here, and you responded with a list of things they could do. I responded that they didn't need to do a thing.

You are very confused.

We were talking about women speaking out.

I was not talking about them being treated badly here.

#163 8 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

I have never seen a women treated badly on pinside, only men.

Exactly.

Show me any posts where a woman is being treated worse than the men are treating each other.

#165 8 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Speaking out about being TREATED BADLY was exactly what my post was about.

No one is talking about YOUR posts.

You responded to MY post, when you started on this crazy tangent.

-

Start a fresh line of reasoning, not quoting my totally different subject.

If anyone wants to discuss it with you, I'm sure they will.

Sheesh..........

#176 8 years ago
Quoted from generica:

I love that Avatar. But its time to change it.

It's Child's ass.

If she wants to change it, let her decide.

Quit giving a hard time to women.

#195 8 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

How many times is Molly going to resign from posting at Pinside?

She will be back, next time as Pancake Flipper, Drain Drama, or Poly Plunger (or something like that).

#245 8 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I don't know if anyone cares or if this is truly related to anything in this topic, but I thought I'd share a personal story related to the "smile" part of the link Rando gave.
I work at a large company where there is a cafe on site. It's a 10 minute walk just to the parking garage and I only have a 30 minute lunch, so either I get food in the cafe or I bring something from home and go eat in the cafe seating area since the microwaves are there. A few months ago, a new male employee in the cafe was working the register, and while ringing up my food told me "Smile." Ok, fine, he's being polite I guess. I smile. A couple of days later, he's working the food line and while I'm standing there waiting I hear "Hey, do you remember what I told you last time... I said smile." He's still got a smile on his face so I assume he's being friendly enough, even though it's a bit creepy as he's singled me out in a group of like 10 women.
The next week I walk through the cafe to get a drink, and he yells at me from across the cafe (about 40 feet away, with at least 20 something people around) "Hey... you'd better smile." I've been singled out again, and this time it creeps me out to the point that I don't want to be anywhere near him, so I pay and bring my lunch for awhile, avoiding the cafe completely. Then one day I'm just walking through the cafe to go sit down, and he does it again. I pretend that I don't see or hear him. It doesn't work. No smile on his face, cold eyes, cold tone in his voice.... "Hey, hey! I know you can hear me. You'd better not be ignoring me. I told you to smile, and you'd better listen." So, lunches are ruined, but what am I supposed to do about it really, because how stupid does it sound for me to report someone for telling me to smile?
The next week I'm leaving the cafe area and he sees me. I again completely ignore him, avoid all eye contact, try to make myself invisible. Yet he still yells at me across the way, this time with anger in his voice. "Hey, you'd better stop ignoring me. I'm talking to you, and you are being rude ignoring me." My husband works at the same company and was with me but a ways behind me, and walked up about that time. I looked at him with a 'don't say anything, I just want to get out of here' look, which the guy saw, and proceeded to then yell at my husband "Hey, your woman is disrepecting me. You'd better say something to her before I have to teach her a lesson in manners." I get husband and myself the heck out of there fast.
That's the day I reported him. And I was laughed at by the cafe management. Two male managers sat me down and asked exactly what the issue was, as they had instructed their employees to be friendly to people and have conversations. I tried to explain that singling me out and screaming at me from 20-40 feet away and threatening me and my husband was in no way a polite conversation. That I felt threatened, that I didn't want to eat in their cafe at all, and that I'd appreciate if they did something about it. They informed me that they'd talk to him and tell him to stop raising his voice across the cafe, and to leave me alone in particular. I told them I didn't want singling out, not to mention my name or description at all, because he'd already escalated the situation multiple times with me simply walking in that area, and I didn't need to be more of a target. They all but rolled their eyes at me.
He has stopped talking to me, but will death glare me down if I'm anywhere near him. I have to actively avoid one of the main buildings and the only source of food because of this. All because some guy decided to tell me to 'smile' and then get super weird and threatening, and I wasn't taken seriously. And since there are 6000 people here and 80%+ are women, I'd be willing to bet that I'm not the only one that's been singled out, but I know I was the only one that reported him because they were truly shocked (and thought it funny) that I was offened enough by being told to smile to report him.

That is an awful situation.

But, your husband did the hardest (but correct) thing in not just decking the guy. I tip my hat to him.

I doubt I would have had his restraint, you married a good man.

#272 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I had a boss in the 80's who openly told his team "I won't hire women". This was for a software engineering job. Worse, he would occasionally bring them in for interviews - to keep up appearances. Wasted a whole day of their time just to keep his sorry ass from being fired.

Yes, or it goes completely the other way.

At the Little Caesars near my hotel, the male manager was bragging to me that he only hires good looking girls.

He will take a man's application, but then once they are out the door, he puts it in the trash.

#309 8 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

this culture of misogyny isn't women's responsibility to fix. They can contribute, but it will be men who learn the lessons of the past who need to have the biggest effect here.

Give me some examples of what lessons men could learn from the past on Pinside; that would apply here.

#310 8 years ago

double post

#312 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Would it not be proper to post a pic of the doublemint twins?

I'll post them.

I don't give a ship what anyone thinks.

#347 8 years ago
Quoted from yonkiman:

Here's one lesson that men could have learned from Pinside's past: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nor-cal-pinheads-thread/page/26

Jonnyo made a poster to promote an event, the poster had some sex jokes which on the surface seemed similar to the jokes in a poster for an all-girl tournament ("No balls required", "Move it Sausage", "BOOBS" and "BYOBoobs"), and there was backlash from some people who were offended.

I'm not sure there is any actual **lesson** there.

So 3 people were offended and did not attend? Good, those people are probably not mature enough to be out in the wild.

I'm a Jew. There are tons of jokes at the expense of Jews on HBO shows. Even if I'm somehow offended by a joke, am I going to cancel HBO??? Of course not.

A comedian on HBO says:

=====

So I'm stuck at a wedding seated between a Rabbi and a Priest.

A 5 year old boy bends over to tie his shoe in front of us.

The Priest leans over to us and says "Wow, I'd like to screw that kid."

The Rabbi shrugs and asks "Out of what?"

======

Am I offended? Hell no.

There will always be somebody offended by something. That does not mean there is anything wrong.

#361 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Sure!
(I mean... maybe? The more I look at that pic, the more I wonder.)
un-nice.jpg

If you are hanging out at The Exit, you are automatically a lightweight bad girl.

#364 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

True, but I wasn't so much questioning their badness as I was their girlness.
I'm pretty sure that second 'lady' from the left is Giovanni Ribisi.

Even though she is now a GILF, at least she can marry whoever she loves - celebration day today!

#389 8 years ago

Yes, she HAD to go.

It was the only way to create a 400 post thread of more drama.

She is already back under another new name and the train kept a rollin.....

#391 8 years ago

Yep

#404 8 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

And we need more of them interested in pinball.

-

Quoted from o-din:

The question is why?

We need more women interest in pinball because the more people interested in our hobby, the higher the prices on all the games become.

If we could get 10% more women in the hobby, we could count on a 30% increase in the price of used games.

#407 8 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

There other great reasons, too.

I'm a single guy and when I go play pinball there are no girls.

Pinball, is the anti-chick.

I just did a search on the dating site PlentyofFish within 500 miles of my zip code for pre-menopauseal women (18-40).

Not a single hit on the world "Pinball".

Not a single hit on the terms "home theater", "audiophile", "ham radio", "model rocketry".......

Do not look to pinball to solve your dating needs.

#409 8 years ago

I just searched Plentyofish for some other hobbies that chicks are not into

Not a single hit on:

Numismatics, Amateur Astronomy, Blacksmithing, Whittling, or Auto Restoration.

One or two hits on:

Chess and Tropical Fish

-

We just have to face that fact that there are many hobbies that do not necessarily appeal to young females.

#412 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Read the on-topic posts in this thread to see why women are great for pinball. They open locations. They teach us how to fix games. They create art for the games. The run the shows. It hasn't got anything to do with dating or that they're "hot".

That's all very obvious.

What Azmodus was saying was that he is looking for "available" pinball women.

I'm sure there are female astronomers who do important work in their fields, but it's just not likely you are going to find a pool of "available" female astronomers, as when you search on the largest dating site, you get zero matches.

#472 8 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I have zero idea why there are even womens divisions in pinball. I think that is more negative than anything. why the need to separate the sexes?

Probably just because the men smell so bad that it would be very unwelcoming to allow women to partake of their essence.

#476 8 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Well all things being equal, there are plenty of women that smell as bad as men... Hygiene doesnt discriminate.

Sure, but why do PINBALL men always smell so bad?

I go to tons of shows for geeky stuff, audiophile, modeling, photography, comicon, numismatic, and I might smell two bad smelling people out of hundreds. But at a pinball show 80% of the men smell like they are wearing 10 day old clothes and have not showered in a month.

How hard can it be to shower (with soap) THAT VERY MORNING, and then put on ALL fresh clothes ?

#485 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I think I have a metaphor that might help us talk about this. Let's say someone started posting spoilers for movies and TV shows, in the middle of a pinball thread. A few people call him out on that behavior, and the thread isn't about pinball any more. "What's the problem?", he asks - "Thus is just the way I talk, by sharing movie plots. You have no right to be offended by it." Then let's say (in this hypothetical scenario) that 20 people jump in to defend the guy posting spoilers, because "if you haven't seen those movies by now, you're probably a loser anyway." Then they join in and post spoilers too, sometimes even for current movies, just to stick it to the people who complained.

It's not the best metaphor because we have a little tilt button that marks things NSFW.

If you are not logged in, you don't see those at all.

If you are logged in, you have to click those posts to read them.

-

So if somebody started posting spoilers, I imagine that I would just tag them NSFW.

#486 8 years ago

BTW: Thor dies and the new Thor comes back as a girl.....tag me bitches.

#494 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

But we can only tilt images, right?

I'm sure the feature could be added, if spoilers became a problem.

#495 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

The text in the picture is obnoxious; the pic by itself probably would have been fine.

Perfect example!

So we flag it.

It does not display for general visitors that don't have an account.

It does not display for Pinsiders who have NSFW crap set to not automatically display.

Robin knows what he is doing.

#501 8 years ago

It's all workable somehow.

The best photography website for Canon photographers is http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

We have almost 400,000 active users.

In the photography profession, there are plenty of women and men in suggestive or nude poses .

On the Canon forum the "Glamor and Nude" section does not display unless you have an account. This keeps kids and prudes from claiming they "just stumbled into it". Google does not index that section of the site.

You can't post any pictures in the "Glamor and Nude" section, until you have made 400 posts on other parts of the forum. This keeps people from just using it as a spam depot.

You are welcome to comment about the photograph itself, but not about the model's body. If you post something like "That guy has a tiny prick" or " I like my women with a little less meat on their bones" you get banned from posting in the "glamor and Nude" section for a week.

Any crude or tasteless language is forbidden. If you post "I'd f*** that model like a freight train" , you are banned for a week.

If your photos contain anything out of the mainstream, you have to flag them (Violent), (Bondage), (Menstruation)....

Although you are welcomed to post both men and women, you can't post actual sexual intercourse.

-

Even with all those clear rules in place, there of course has still been plenty of people upset.

One photographer posted a pic of a nude woman in an Indian headdress.

A guy claiming to be an American Indian said he was offended by it.

People argued that is was good, it was bad.....bla bla bla.

Finally it was decided that it was art, so if you don't like it, don't look at it.

No mods had to delete any pics, lock any posts, or make some new set of rules to make the forum more attractive to American Indians.

You just have to be mature enough that if you click on a post you don't like, you hit the back button and move along.

It works well 99.999% of the time.

#504 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

why don't you post that headdress pic and we will debate whether or not it is art.

I won't post the pic because there is no pinball machine (there is an Indian Motorcycle = super cool), but you can see it here:

http://robertalvarado.smugmug.com/photos/i-VJmv54S/0/O/i-VJmv54S.jpg

#506 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Sounds like the reason that forum works is because rude/crude/tasteless speech results in a 1-week posting ban.

Sure.

There are of course professional models, but also wives and boyfriends.

Think if someone's boyfriend gets all dolled up, has the guts to get their picture taken, and then some loser who has never even had a boyfriend says "He's got a tiny cock, if that is even a cock...". Nobody wanted all the negativity every day on the forum.

There is plenty of critique about the lighting, settings, and processing; but the models themselves are off limits.

#507 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

seems like the motorcycle is photoshopped in.

http://robertalvarado.smugmug.com/photos/i-WVN27bV/0/O/i-WVN27bV.jpg

He's using a strobe to eliminate all the shadows, then processing it to look super saturated and flat.

Many of his shots have that odd look to them.

He is a great pinup photographer:

http://robertalvarado.smugmug.com/

#541 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I completely doxxed you, like I do everyone.

That's totally true.

Wolf Doxxed me, from behind.

doxx-me-bro.jpgdoxx-me-bro.jpg

#545 8 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Can I ask a mod to permanently thread eject me? I need to stop wasting my time with this train wreck, but have a hard time looking away.

Just hit that DRAIN button, and it will be gone forever.

#551 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

seriously though what a creepy move tracking down their facebook page.

C'mon, creepy would be posting her home address, place of employment, Social Security number; that's the definition of Doxxing.

Tracking down a public Facebook page is something everybody does every day.

I was just talking to a Head Hunter the other day. He said before an employer even reads your resume, they hunt down your Facebook page and see what kind of person you are.

#578 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

If anybody posted my FB info here to call me out, I wouldn't let it go as easily as Cait did.

Don't post things online that you don't want the whole world to see.

Even if you think you have it set "private", it's not.

#590 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

It's weird, I just got 63 FB friend requests from female Pinside members.

Out of the 63, I'll guess 3 are actually female.

#594 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

You guys do realize that it's NOT hypocritical to like sex, but not want to hear about it on a pinball forum...right?

If a post title is "Hot Studs of Pinball (NSFW)" and you don't want to see any beefsack, or you do, but you are at work (where the IT guys already laugh at the things you buy on Amazon), it's not hypocritical to avoid that thread.

#595 8 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I do not need lessons on using the internet, thanks.

Just trying to be helpful.

You don't have to get all snippy with me.

#602 8 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

OK, so can you please acknowledge that one fine point where the guy claimed specifically that he had doxxed me?

He did not really Doxx you.

If you hung out on 4chan with us, you would **know** what Doxxing is.

I will, of course acknowledge that the word Doxxing is super scary sounding right now because of all the media attention that Felicia Day generated.

And I will acknowledge that Wolf used the term in a way that sounded like he actually Doxxed you.

It was obviously a joke, so let's all just call a truce and get back to good things that women have done in pinball.

-White flag from Vid

#671 8 years ago
Quoted from karmalord:

I really don't care if this is true or not as your analogy of this premise is spot on!

It's 10000% true as told to me.

I've seen his work, and it is mind blowing.

#672 8 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Am I supposed to feel grateful that you haven't doxxed me because you know a lot about it and/or hang out with people who do?

You are wildly flailing at the wrong person.

Take a breath.

Think about what you are saying and who you are saying it to.

Quoted from cait001:

Or are you referencing 4chan so I should assume you have a massive hentai collection?

Ahhh, when you have no intelligent point to make, switch to the insults.

Quoted from cait001:

Are obsessed with vidya?

More insults?

C'mon, I stick up for you and you are still stuck in defensive mode?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Calgary, AB
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/there-are-good-women-in-pinball?tu=vid1900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.