Conan-OBrien-Inappropriate.png
CPI.png
img304.jpg
Barb.jpg
crowded-surfing.jpg
image.jpg
un-nice.jpg
IMG_2297.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider law.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#6 8 years ago

Rachel, who runs the Women's league here in Austin.

I also find the general commentary on women here tiresome. That's putting it mildly. I think Bowen was spot-on a few months back asking people to try and tone it down. Look where that got him.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Allow me to clarify a bit.
The woman's tournament at TPF was a FREE event for the ladies. Their scores from the Wizard tournament were used to qualify for a top 8. We chose this path because we wanted the ladies to have a chance to earn WPPR points as a ladies only event would earn zero WPPR points. In previous years, a cash entry for the ladies event, along with a cash prize, was not as successful enticing large numbers of ladies to compete. So we tried an approach that was successful.
The ladies paid to play in the Wizard's event. So they earned WPPR points for the Wizard AND their best scores were used to qualify for the Top 8 Ladies Event. So ladies were able to use one paid entry as a chance to win trophies in two different events. No other demographic was offered that opportunity.
The TPF added a Ladies Playoffs, along with trophies as prizes, for the top three ladies. So while cash prizes may not have been given out, we did invest in the event by providing trophies. Maybe that's not enough, and I'm sure the TPF Team will have a serious discussion regarding future ladies tournaments.
Marcus

Did you let them know up front that there was no cash prize for the women's division? I've spoken to several participants that were quite upset when they found out, and they found out at the end when the trophies were given. From what I heard there were a number of women that were not "seriously" competing in the wizards but were participating because they were obligated to to enter the womens tourney. In fact, it seemed more like a way for you to get more participants in the wizards tourney than it did a way to allow the women two-for-one entry.

#329 8 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

At TPF they gave out cash prizes for every tournament except women's... That's fucked up.
Ed_in_Texas said:
It did not cost anything to enter the woman's tourney at TPF. Women that played in the Wizard's tournament (along with the men and for IFPA points and an equal opportunity to win a cash prize) were also qualifying for the women's tournament at no additional cost (even Kid's tournament had an entry fee).
In 2016, TPF will have a stand alone women's tourney with it's own cash prizes.
This is precisely the problem of "over-moderation" or jumping on the bandwagon: automatically assuming victim-hood without all the facts. If the goal is an equal playing field and respect for all, then the same burden of proof should be our cultural expectation regardless of gender. A comment like that is offensive, and disparages the efforts of those who put in the long hours to run the tournaments at TPF, and it should not get a pass, or "true until proven incorrect" status, because the assumed victim happens to be women, or any other .

No, it was messed up, along with most things regarding tournaments at the TPF. As far as I know (and I talked about it with a few of the ladies in the tournament) everyone was expecting cash prizes. When you asked any of the help if all of the tournaments had cash prizes, they said yes. As I stated before, there were a number of women that only entered the wizards tourney because it was required to enter the women's. The whole thing might have been fine if it was messaged the way Marcus and Ed are explaining it now, but it wasn't.

Besides that, the "no entry fee" excuse is crap. The organizers of that tournament walked away with thousands of dollars in entry fees in excess of what it took to organize the event.

At the end of the day, did the setup make the winners of the women's event feel like they were second-class citizens and that their tournament was less meaningful than the 12-and-under? At least for some, it did. That is the problem.

#353 8 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

A misunderstanding and/or poor communication doesn't make the case for discrimination. And since those who ran the event have clarified their intents on the matter it's obvious that wasn't their intent either. Clinging to it being otherwise is not a matter of fairness but of trying to prove victimhood in the face of the facts.

If there was no issue they wouldn't be changing the format for next year.

#354 8 years ago

<double post>

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Calgary, AB
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider law.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/there-are-good-women-in-pinball?tu=law and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.