Conan-OBrien-Inappropriate.png
CPI.png
img304.jpg
Barb.jpg
crowded-surfing.jpg
image.jpg
un-nice.jpg
IMG_2297.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#125 8 years ago
Quoted from stainedundies:

And for the record, I think women's tourneys should be done away with altogether. Everyone should play together and just get over whatever mental block it is that keeps you from interacting with members of the opposite gender. Easier for a man to say, but seriously, were never going to tackle this problem as a species if we don't all start taking baby steps towards the common goal of unity.

Usually the point of these kinds of separate divisions like juniors, women, etc is to ENCOURAGE PARTICIPATION by being less intimidating or making it cheaper, etc. Not sexist, not 'anti-equality' - but simply creating encouragement by reducing concerns. The women aren't excluded from the main events, nor are the kids, etc.

Offerings like a D-division at PAPA is not countering 'unity' - its about trying to encourage a less experienced player to participate.

If people stopped trying to be offended at every turn.. they may actually let themselves see the POSITIVE attempts here.

#127 8 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

Get used to it or GTFO thats basically it. Its a PRIVATE forum with a public signup. Its not owned by Pinsiders. Its not a corporation. Its owned by a fellow who sets the rules and if you cant handle that shit GTFO plain and simple.

It's also a forum that without the community would wither and rot. It's robin's party and they make the rules... but a party without any patrons is no fun and pointless... so too is an online community with no patrons. Forum owners are effectively selling their product to attract activity - doing so requires balancing their desires with those of the people they are trying to attract as well.

If Robin were to make a rule that said "We will only talk about Wedgeheads... nothing newer!" - yes that would be his right... but it would be foolish of him to ignore the feedback of his audience if they said "we would really like to talk about more..." -- And just as foolish for people to argue that there should be no feedback about the rule from the EXISTING community because if you don't like it, you should GTFO. They have to strike a balance... and make limits within reason. Not all are without consequence.. and you should never NOT be open to listening to the very audience you are trying to attract.

#135 8 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

He didnt ask for feedback

The only person advocating totalitarian rule and muting all opposing thought is you.. and last I checked, you don't own the place or run it. Please stop trying to act on their behalf.

#171 8 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

You should go back and read Vids post.
He was in no way talking about being treated badly.
I have never seen a women treated badly on pinside, only men.

Time to change the avatar I think...

#214 8 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

It's always easy for privileged people to tell people who aren't to suck it up and be tough

Oh yeah, all those self-reliant people that built this country... so privileged through and through!

"toughen up" coming from privilege? That one had me rolling.

#232 8 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I don't know if anyone cares or if this is truly related to anything in this topic, but I thought I'd share a personal story related to the "smile" part of the link Rando gave.
I work at a large company where there is a cafe on site. It's a 10 minute walk just to the parking garage and I only have a 30 minute lunch, so either I get food in the cafe or I bring something from home and go eat in the cafe seating area since the microwaves are there. A few months ago, a new male employee in the cafe was working the register, and while ringing up my food told me "Smile." Ok, fine, he's being polite I guess. I smile. A couple of days later, he's working the food line and while I'm standing there waiting I hear "Hey, do you remember what I told you last time... I said smile." He's still got a smile on his face so I assume he's being friendly enough, even though it's a bit creepy as he's singled me out in a group of like 10 women.
The next week I walk through the cafe to get a drink, and he yells at me from across the cafe (about 40 feet away, with at least 20 something people around) "Hey... you'd better smile." I've been singled out again, and this time it creeps me out to the point that I don't want to be anywhere near him, so I pay and bring my lunch for awhile, avoiding the cafe completely. Then one day I'm just walking through the cafe to go sit down, and he does it again. I pretend that I don't see or hear him. It doesn't work

At that point you should have said something that he is making you uncomfortable. Your path of not addressing the issue contributes to it escalating. This is the same thing at different degrees that ends up with all kinds of sexual harassment issues. Side A thinks 'x' is going on, Side B is completely of a different opinion.. but because its never addressed how is Side A supposed to know their actions are being taken the wrong way?

Now obviously what you go on to mention here about his tone changing is bad and wrong... but your attempts at 'hiding' vs facing the issue contribute to the escalation. It would have also established a point of clarity so if things did continue on that same path, when you went to management it would have been a much cleaner cut case of someone continuing down a path against the other party's will.

People find it much more rude to be ignored, vs having adults face a topic. So while I don't agree with the guy's tactic - I can agree with the comment about ignoring people being rude.

What you are eluding to is some sort of sexual harassment, when I read the story it sounds like more of an anger, tone issue stroked by how you responded to his actions.

How many issues stem from people simply not saying what they mean???

#241 8 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

Under what circumstances, would you expect to tell any grown adult that you didn't know on a friendly or familial basis "to smile" more than once? (Or even once...)

You act like it's some demented way of saying "dance for me..."

It's just people making conversation. Some see people maybe having a rough day... they say smile and try to lift them up. The idea that everyone looks better when they are happy or smiling is not necessarily sexual advances. This is the 'OMG, something COULD be evil.. so lets get rid of it' over reaction taking over this society.

Does anyone really give that much of a F... about the weather? No, but we use it all the time in conversation. Or what about the team someone has on their shirt, or what top they have... or does anyone really care that you have the same shirt?? No - it's all just conversation and people trying to be cordial.

Before too long... trying to start a conversation with someone who is shy is going to be considered harassment.... because someone had the nerve to speak first.

#244 8 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

So all of that is my fault because I tried to avoid confrontation?

I said contributed... I didn't say you caused it. How many times do situations blow up because people simply didn't communicate? Why is communication a key ingredient in understanding in relationships... yet we expect other inter-personal interaction to just work flawlessly without it?

Quoted from blondetall:

Yes, obviously I deserved it somehow by walking into the cafe to buy food. Do you know what would have happened if I had confronted him in the cafe in the middle of everyone? I would be that psycho feminist bitch that yelled at a poor guy who was just telling her to smile.

Instead you're "...that crazy girl turning people into HR for just trying to have a conversation!" I don't find that much of an improvement

Nothing good comes out of a situation that is all one-sided and only one view represented. If people just TALKED and actually said what they mean... things would be a lot easier. You may be worried it would upset the guy... but at least he knows where you are coming from and you have a point of reference to draw the line with.

Instead you opt'd to just hide from it, try to ignore it and altered your life, and expect it to just magically change, when the other side is oblivious to it?

Quoted from blondetall:

Just telling them "You are making me uncomfortable" does nothing to someone who thinks it is ok to single out and harass people

Now that's a circular argument... you conclude he started out wanting or believing he was harrassing you and so he thinks its ok.. because you think he was.. so there is no point in saying something?

Is that like saying "there was no point in telling the guy who was hitting on me NO, because you'd think he wouldn't stop anyway?" -- Are people supposed to be mind readers?

Quoted from blondetall:

The line between harassment and fun is a very thin one and drawn into the sand, and each person has their own levels of sensitivty and tolerance

And a very hard line for anyone to respect if people never vocalize their boundaries.

#251 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

it IS saying "dance for me". it's saying your own personal space is my decoration and your private inner mood is my right to invade uninvited. the chances of a dude doing that to another dude are LESS THAN ZERO. she gave every possible indication that she did not want his opinion or input and it was HIM that eventually got hostile when she didn't submit to his commands for attention and subservience. if you can't see that from her story then i am just disheartened that some people can be so blind to what it's like being a woman, even after it's been so explicitly, carefully and unemotionally explained.

Try evaluating the situation at each milestone - and not from the end point.. and rethink what you've said. I say that, but I know you won't because you're not interested in objectivity here, but have a foregone conclusion. The only solution that works in your perception of the world is that no one talk to each other unless there is a specific, explicit practical purpose to do so.

Is every person that says "wow, I like your shoes?" - boning you in their mind right now too?

Maybe in a generation we'll all wear hats with lights that signify if we are open to being approached by someone. Or maybe someone will come out with a google glass that gives you red light, green light indicators if the far end is willing to accept your engagement of social conversation.

In the interim.. we'll all keep retreating inward, and be forced to avoid contact for fear of the other side's reaction and the consequences.

#254 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

You weren't there, she was, and tone and body language mean everything in these kind of situations. You have no basis to say that the guy was "just making conversation," and based on his subsequent behavior he clearly wasn't

two logic fails there.
One - I wasn't there, but neither were you.. we only have the view of the party who interpreted the action. So you can't clearly state what his intent was... but neither did I to start. I only pulled back from the conclusion that it was some sort of creepy to say it COULD be either

two - the escalation could have simply been in response to being IGNORED and the hurt that person may have felt from that - not necessarily that there were advances that were not recieved. If you pass someone on the sidewalk each day, make eye contact, and say hello... but then the next day you see that person run to the other side of the road to AVOID you.. and does that each day.. do you not take note of that? maybe if you were in conversation with your friend and the topic came up would you say positive or skeptical things about the person who goes out of their way to AVOID you simply because you said hello?

Quoted from fosaisu:

When you find yourself defending a sociopath that quickly slid from light harassment to yelling across a food court (at his place of work!) at a woman he doesn't even know, maybe it's time to step away from the keyboard and ask yourself what you're doing.

I'm not defending him... but as with many 'sensitive' topics people can't address them objectively so I'm out.

I look forward to the world we are building where everyone is scared to lose their job by actually acknowledging the people around them.

#261 8 years ago

Maybe this is why society is going down the tube... we advocate AVOIDING your problems as the solution to things. When has avoiding something ever drawn it to closer to conclusion?

Owe someone money? Just avoid them!
Facing an overdue deadline? Just avoid them!
Have a touchy subject with your S.O.? Just avoid it!
Kids actingly poorly? Just avoid it!
Tension with coworker? Just avoid them!
Doctor has bad news for you? Just avoid doctors!

Avoiding is just deferring problems.. and like in this example, that normally means things get worse.

It's funny how we argue about needing equality, etc... yet people won't even advocate facing things. Instead they just want it to magically happen by hiding from the issue. We want to give people equality, without expecting them to at least stand up for themselves. That's the death spiral of creating needy people.

#399 8 years ago

Why communication is key... random online joke..
--------------------------
A lady about 8 months pregnant got on a bus. She noticed the man opposite her was smiling at her. She immediately moved to another seat. This time the smile turned into a grin, so she moved again. He seemed more amused. When on the fourth move, the man burst out laughing, she complained to the driver and he had the man arrested.
The case came up in court. The Judge asked the man (about 20 years old) what he had to say for himself.
The man replied...
"Well your Honor, it was like this: When the lady got on the bus, I couldn't help but notice her condition. She sat under a sweets sign that said, "The Double Mint Twins are Coming" and I grinned.
Then she moved and sat under a sign that said "Logan's Liniment will reduce the swelling", and I had to smile.
Then she placed herself under a deodorant sign that said "William's Big Stick Did the Trick", and I could hardly contain myself.
BUT, your Honor, when she moved for the fourth time and sat under the sign that said "Goodyear Rubber could have prevented this Accident"..

..I just lost it......."CASE DISMISSED!!"
----------------------------

#550 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

... And scene.
I'd like to thank our players, cait001 and Wolfmarsh, for acting out a typical interaction between a creepy dude on the internet and a woman.

People put stuff online.. and then get upset that.. people find stuff online? It's not creepy if you freaking wear it right in front of everyone.

#558 8 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Going offsite to find some details about me to try and call me a hypocrite is bad form.

'offsite'? Why? are we supposed to have alter-egos on pinside? Are we expected to be 'different' here? You just don't like that your own stuff you publically post and promote... actually came out at a time you didn't dictate.

#668 8 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

No, I put forther the concept that it isn't my place to inform every man who wants to come at me with devil's advocate postiions that I handhold them the whole way through because A) that is exhausting and B) that happens all the time and C) nothing is ever really enough for these people since they always want you to answer their further digressions. Again, it is not the responsibility of a marginalized group to solve all the problems of the group that holds the power.

Except your tactic is D) attack them and play martyr for having the audacity to not take your word as the final one. And when people undermine your holy position with information you didn't bring to the table.. you cry victim and go on the attack.

You want to preach and expect everyone to take your word blindly.. you want your message out loud and proud but don't have the common courtesy to address those you are expecting to listen to you. Instead of trying to have a conversation and be convincing, you want to spew and then hide under cover.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Calgary, AB
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 12.00
$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/there-are-good-women-in-pinball?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.