Conan-OBrien-Inappropriate.png
CPI.png
img304.jpg
Barb.jpg
crowded-surfing.jpg
image.jpg
un-nice.jpg
IMG_2297.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darthxaos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#110 8 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

A comment like that is offensive, and disparages the efforts of those who put in the long hours to run the tournaments at TPF, and it should not get a pass, or "true until proven incorrect" status, because the assumed victim happens to be women, or any other <insert group here>.

Facts and evidence are a tool of the Patriarchy.

Listen And Believe.

#133 8 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

If you, personally, are offended by something, is it fair to indict others who "don't speak up"? Perhaps they simply are not offended as you are?

The very fact that they aren't offended by it is the problem. It is ungoodthink.

#136 8 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Misandry!
Oh wait, nobody knows what that means for some reason.

Misandry don't real, now watch me bask in my male privilege:

privilege.pngprivilege.png

#463 8 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

The problem is that pinball culture is by men, for men, and the surrounding culture reflects that in spades. This is not about nitpicking specific examples, but asking yourself if you want pinball to be as inviting to women as it is in to men.
That is a big question, and not an easy one.
To change the cultures of groups does take a lot of work. How hard was it to introduce and encourage women in to police culture? In to Office and Executive culture? Was it up to the women to do all the work or did there need to be institutional change?
This was also change that was fought by factions of the status quo at every step.
By focusing in on "yes, but what did I_ do?" you're missing the forest for the tree.
Again, this is not as easy as you specifically or saying one thing different, it is a matter of changing how you think about pinball culture, and if you want change to happen, educating yourself and working towards it, slowly but surely.
I really hope lots of people here want to change things and make it more inclusive, I really do. But this thread so far is overwhelming discouragement in regards to that progress.

Some people, gasp, don't WANT outsiders coming in and changing their culture.

#475 8 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Just .... wow.
Maybe I'll come back to this thread if I ever have more energy.
Just wow.

You left out:

"Ugh."

"i can't even"

"wrong side of history"

:^)

#477 8 years ago

Some of what is going on in this thread explained:

#519 8 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

At some point when you try to reach consensus with people you eventually reach the conclusion that some don't want consensus, or equal treatment, or a fair examination of the facts, or any of that. All of their claims of unfair treatment are a red herring for what they really want, which is to win, or to complain ad infinitum, or to get others to dance on strings. Same as any internet troll.

Funny enough, some of a certain poster in this thread's turns of phrase are indicative of their membership in a particular hybrid movement of internet trolls and political radicals known as SRS.

http://wiki.gamergate.me/index.php?title=Reddit#MrSkellyton.27s_history_of_.2Fr.2FShitRedditSays

#549 8 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

The inability to see or to care that a problem exists is not the same as there not being a problem.

Disagreement is not "the inability to see".

#554 8 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

You have women telling you that they don't feel comfortable here. They tell you that it's the behavior of the people in this community that makes them feel this way.
You aren't at liberty to disagree with that.

I'm actually free to disagree with whatever I want, seeing as how SOCJUS thought police haven't taken power (yet).

#561 8 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

If you feel like that, you'll end up being wrong a lot. Maybe you're used to that? I don't know.
The only logical ground you have to stand on here is to understand that there is a level of Misogyny in the pinball community (because the people who directly feel this are telling you there is), yet choose not care that there is.

A couple logical points of disagreement right here:

* The definition of "misogyny"
* Whether or not a few people's subjective feelings constitutes evidence of such

#563 8 years ago

#651 8 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

We have *some* women saying that. And there are *some* who might be making them feel that way (as yet, haven't seen the proof)
And we have no right to disagree?
Then you have no right to disagree with me saying you're wrong.

You don't understand. Any woman who disagrees with the narrative doesn't count as a woman because internalized soggy knees.

#656 8 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

please don't bring that harassment campaign garbage on to pinside, thanks.

What harassment campaign? The one being waged by people like the one in this article?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2015/06/29/harping-on-the-hypocrisy-and-lies-of-twitters-most-notorious-anti-abuse-activist-randi-harper-part-1/
(trigger warning: image of an internet troll giving the finger atop the article)

#661 8 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

You do not have any basis to disagree with the women who are saying that, no. They are saying what they are feeling, and your are working to invalidate that. The fact that this has gone on for SO. LONG. is astonishing.
You absolutely have the right to disagree. By all means, disagree away, but please temper varied arguments against what that which has been flung our way for millennia. "might makes right" has never served us well.

Feelz do not make realz.

And no one has been arguing with you for "millennia" since I presume you are somewhat less than 1000 years old.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Calgary, AB
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darthxaos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/there-are-good-women-in-pinball?tu=darthxaos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.