CPI.png
img304.jpg
Barb.jpg
crowded-surfing.jpg
image.jpg
un-nice.jpg
IMG_2297.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 673 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 14.
#351 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'm not sure there is any actual **lesson** there.
So 3 people were offended and did not attend? Good, those people are probably not mature enough to be out in the wild.
I'm a Jew. There are tons of jokes at the expense of Jews on HBO shows. Even if I'm somehow offended by a joke, am I going to cancel HBO??? Of course not.
A comedian on HBO says:
=====
So I'm stuck at a wedding seated between a Rabbi and a Priest.
A 5 year old boy bends over to tie his shoe in front of us.
The Priest leans over to us and says "Wow, I like to screw that kid."
The Rabbi shrugs and asks "Out of what?"
======
Am I offended, hell no.
There will always be somebody offended by something. That does not mean there is anything wrong.

In addition to those three a few female friends of mine didn't attend for the opposite reason, which was that their husbands or BFs were not allowed to even be there to cheer them on.

#352 8 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

their husbands or BFs were not allowed to even be there to cheer them on.

Were they sick or in jail?

#353 8 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

A misunderstanding and/or poor communication doesn't make the case for discrimination. And since those who ran the event have clarified their intents on the matter it's obvious that wasn't their intent either. Clinging to it being otherwise is not a matter of fairness but of trying to prove victimhood in the face of the facts.

If there was no issue they wouldn't be changing the format for next year.

#354 8 years ago

<double post>

#355 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'm not sure there is any actual **lesson** there.

The lesson or thought experiment or point or whatever was supposed to be that it's not a level playing field for men and women because of biology and history, and a lot of us are conscious of that so that other people in our community feel like part of the community.

So I'm stuck at a wedding seated between a Rabbi and a Priest.
A 5 year old boy bends over to tie his shoe in front of us.
The Priest leans over to us and says "Wow, I like to screw that kid."
The Rabbi shrugs and asks "Out of what?"

That is a really funny joke (really). And most Catholics and most Jews can probably see the humor in it.

I'm a Jew. There are tons of jokes at the expense of Jews on HBO shows. Even if I'm somehow offended by a joke, am I going to cancel HBO??? Of course not.

Got it. But what if HBO started being relentless with the Jew jokes? And they stopped being as witty? And you started to realize you're not seeing any jokes about any people/races/religion except Jews? And all the sudden in the middle of "Silicon Valley" there's a Jew joke, and then another character makes a Jew joke, and then another piles on, etc.? Then you start watching "Game of Thrones" and somehow they start working in Jew jokes, which everyone on the show is laughing at... Maybe, just MAYBE, would you start thinking about cancelling HBO?

There will always be somebody offended by something. That does not mean there is anything wrong.

But it also doesn't mean it is *right*. As swampfire said, if nothing else it's just basic politeness. Which I know the Internet is not exactly known for.

But if I know my Uncle James is offended by Catholic jokes, I'm not gonna tell them in front of him, even if I think they're HI-larious. It's just being polite and respectful.

We're a community that loves pinball. Most of us are civilized, educated people who wouldn't tell Catholic jokes in front of Uncle James. We should be respectful to the other members. Even if we don't understand why, or don't believe it's real, we could, out of respect, tone down the non-pinball-related activity that's aggravating many other members of our community. It's our choice. I hate to see people leave Pinside because of non-pinball-related conversation.

Another thought: Should we cancel the "no politics" rule as well? How many threads would degenerate into fights if we did that? How many people would start feeling differently about people they are pinside friends with?

There are plenty of places on the web to talk politics.

I have heard there are a few places on the web where you can look at scandalous photos of attractive women.

We don't have to do either of those on pinside. We can make a choice to be respectful.

Now if you'll excuse me, I suddenly feel the urge to find one of those scandalous photo sites...

#356 8 years ago

I prefer a world where people can show us exactly who they are. Makes it a lot easier.

#357 8 years ago

Are there any bad women in pinball? (I'm not asking for names!) I've never met one.

#358 8 years ago
Quoted from yonkiman:

That is a really funny joke (really). And most Catholics and most Jews and possibly even some boys who were sexually abused by Priests can see the humor in it.

Got it. But what if HBO started being relentless with the Jew jokes? And they stopped being as witty? And you started to realize you're not seeing any jokes about any people/races/religion except Jews? And all the sudden in the middle of "Silicon Valley" there's a Jew joke, and then another character makes a Jew joke, and then another piles on, etc.? Then you start watching "Game of Thrones" and somehow they start working in Jew jokes, which everyone on the show is laughing at... Maybe, just MAYBE, would you start thinking about cancelling HBO?

You're right about one thing, it was a funny joke. As for the second point, no it still wouldn't make me cancel the channel out stop watching a show. The jokes funny or not do no harm to me unless I want them to.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers. Words to live by.

#359 8 years ago
Quoted from yonkiman:

and possibly even some boys who were sexually abused by Priests can see the humor in it.

You had me up until this part. I really doubt they would.

#360 8 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Are there any bad women in pinball?

Sure!

(I mean... maybe? The more I look at that pic, the more I wonder.)

un-nice.jpgun-nice.jpg

#361 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Sure!
(I mean... maybe? The more I look at that pic, the more I wonder.)
un-nice.jpg

If you are hanging out at The Exit, you are automatically a lightweight bad girl.

#362 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you are hanging out at The Exit, you are automatically a lightweight bad girl.

True, but I wasn't so much questioning their badness as I was their girlness.

I'm pretty sure that second 'lady' from the left is Giovanni Ribisi.

#363 8 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Are there any bad women in pinball? (I'm not asking for names!) I've never met one.

LOL I have.

#364 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

True, but I wasn't so much questioning their badness as I was their girlness.
I'm pretty sure that second 'lady' from the left is Giovanni Ribisi.

Even though she is now a GILF, at least she can marry whoever she loves - celebration day today!

#365 8 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I run a pinball group for women in my city, and we have over 40 members. We are players, collectors, restorers. Some of women in pinball are fucking HEROES in regards to tech, playing, organizing, but most of us are just fans who want to participate and play some pinball.
And yes we see some of the b.s. that gets posted up on pinside because of that "boys club" assumption.
And yes many members won't comment or will use gender-ambiguous icons/names to avoid taking flack.
Things have gotten better in the last 5 years, but there is still a long way to go. We still hear men talking about how the "raped that machine", or how something is "gay". (lots of LGBTQ people love pinball, btw, pinside could do WAY BETTER on this front overall.)
Pinball, and pinside, has a long way to grow the hell up and realize it's not just a private space for dudes to relive their teenage years.
I haven't read this thread in the entirety yet, but kudos to y'all that call out the misogynistic b.s. and thumbs-down it to oblivion.

Is your group limited to women only? I'm not sure I understand how that helps the situation. Isn't your group "A private space for CHICKS?" By the way, I agree with everything else you said.

#366 8 years ago

Do you guys have Men's Support Groups where you can share your concerns?

#367 8 years ago
Quoted from yonkiman:

and possibly even some boys who were sexually abused by Priests can see the humor in it.

Quoted from Hougie:

You had me up until this part. I really doubt they would.

You're totally right - I was trying to be open-minded to the point of stupidity. It was a dumb thing to say and I'm going to delete it, it doesn't add anything to the discussion.

#368 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Do you guys have Men's Support Groups where you can share your concerns?

They started their own "Good Men in Pinball" thread. With blackjack, and hookers!

#369 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Even though she is now a GILF, at least she can marry whoever she loves - celebration day today!

#371 8 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

If there are, the solution to that is to practice & play more.

#372 8 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

If there are, the solution to that is to practice & play more.

Hasn't helped my game.

#373 8 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Hasn't helped my game.

Then you move onto phase 2: blame it on the machine. Question the leveling, ask when it was last shopped, ask others "are the flippers a bit weak to you?".

#374 8 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

Then you move onto phase 2: blame it on the machine. Question the leveling, ask when it was last shopped, ask others "are the flippers a bit weak to you?".

I'm already at Phase 3 where I hit the machine and yell, "Go F yourself!"

#375 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

They started their own "Good Men in Pinball" thread. With blackjack, and hookers!

It is a "Great men in pinball" thread. I'm not sure card games are welcome here though as my poker and liquor photo got deleted in this thread and I got a warning so I am assuming those topics are no longer welcome on this site.

#376 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It is a "Great men in pinball" thread. I'm not sure card games are welcome here though as my poker and liquor photo got deleted in this thread and I got a warning so I am assuming those topics are no longer welcome on this site.

How can that be? "It's the hottest game in town!"

image.jpgimage.jpg

#377 8 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

How can that be? "It's the hottest game in town!"

Maybe it's liquor they no longer want discussed here? I don't know...we are supposed to keep it family friendly and without liquor I probably wouldn't have ever had a child. Heck, I probably wouldn't even be here myself!

#378 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

If there was no issue they wouldn't be changing the format for next year.

The issue is that enough people expressed the desire to play for money and not have the women's tourney be a free bonus format for entering the main, so they're changing to what people prefer.

I can't even believe people are complaining about this or holding it up as some kind of example. They enter the same tourney as everyone else and have the same shot at the wpprs and money as everyone, AND get a free bonus event as well. But because that event wasn't what they wanted, it's sexism? Wow.

Like the other person, go ahead and have the last word. It's futile to debate anything with someone who is convinced that women can only be victims. I have too high an opinion of women to see them that way.

#379 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Agree. Back to pinball.
image.jpg

Would you be offended if I said that your girlfriend had great ankles? Cause if so, I won't mention it.

#380 8 years ago

La femme est l'avenir de l'homme - Woman is the future of Man - Jean Ferrat - 1975

Le poète a toujours raison
Qui voit plus haut que l'horizon
Et le futur est son royaume
Face à notre génération
Je déclare avec Aragon
La femme est l'avenir de l'homme

#381 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Maybe it's liquor they no longer want discussed here?

Will I have to change my avatar now?

#382 8 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

When did Pinside turn into an afternoon talk show? When i first joined PINSIDE, there was tons of tech posts. Guides on how to fix, walkthroughs or restores, and troubleshooting posts. Now i have to search to even find anything usefull.

This is what happens when a bunch of people have a lot to say, but nothing really of any value -____-.

I feel your pain. I really do.

#384 8 years ago

It's sad Molly had to go, She is a great player. And a real pinball enthusiast.

#385 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's sad Molly had to go, She is a great player. Ans a real pinball enthusiast.

She did not have to go, she chose to leave.

#386 8 years ago
Quoted from Northernhuskie2:

She did not have to go, she chose to leave.

Did he say otherwise?

#387 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Did he say otherwise?

Yes he said "sad molly had to go" not molly choose to leave. Those are very different comments.

#388 8 years ago

Anyone notice that this thread and the Pinballers thread have been running neck and neck in number of posts?

#389 8 years ago

Yes, she HAD to go.

It was the only way to create a 400 post thread of more drama.

She is already back under another new name and the train kept a rollin.....

#390 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

She is already back under another new name and the train kept a rollin.....

She is back?

#391 8 years ago

Yep

#392 8 years ago

Now we can stop being sad.

#393 8 years ago

y did she have to go? I must have missed it in the chaos that ensued.

#394 8 years ago

Welp, another great thread to link back to when someone says "why aren't there more women in pinball?" Good job, dudes. Why to maintain your status quo.

#395 8 years ago

Yup, downvoted by the dudes who think misandry is a serious thing. Of course. OK, bye.

#396 8 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Yup, downvoted by the dudes who think misandry is a serious thing. Of course. OK, bye.

Your posts have made a pretty strong case for it.

#397 8 years ago

Delete

#398 8 years ago

Delete

#399 8 years ago

Why communication is key... random online joke..
--------------------------
A lady about 8 months pregnant got on a bus. She noticed the man opposite her was smiling at her. She immediately moved to another seat. This time the smile turned into a grin, so she moved again. He seemed more amused. When on the fourth move, the man burst out laughing, she complained to the driver and he had the man arrested.
The case came up in court. The Judge asked the man (about 20 years old) what he had to say for himself.
The man replied...
"Well your Honor, it was like this: When the lady got on the bus, I couldn't help but notice her condition. She sat under a sweets sign that said, "The Double Mint Twins are Coming" and I grinned.
Then she moved and sat under a sign that said "Logan's Liniment will reduce the swelling", and I had to smile.
Then she placed herself under a deodorant sign that said "William's Big Stick Did the Trick", and I could hardly contain myself.
BUT, your Honor, when she moved for the fourth time and sat under the sign that said "Goodyear Rubber could have prevented this Accident"..

..I just lost it......."CASE DISMISSED!!"
----------------------------

#400 8 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Women are amazing.
My mother was amazing. My wife is amazing. My daughter and her friends are amazing.
I will never fail to lend my voice to the chorus when it comes to treating women with the respect they deserve.
Pinside does not need to be sanitized or censored... People just need to act with a modicum of dignity. It's not that hard. It will not make Pinside worse, it will make it better. Community makes things better.
Don't be a dick, to anybody!! Not just women, but perhaps especially not to women.
Being rude, or caustic, or abusive is just SO easy and unoriginal. There is nothing sadder than a keyboard bully.
I love Pinball. It's why I come here.
Here's to Sarah, and Phoebe, and Kayte, and Kristin, and Guylaine, and Nat, and Kim, and Jen, and all the amazing women in pinball. The more you enjoy this hobby, the more we all will.

Women are amazing.

Totally agree. And we need more of them interested in pinball.

If you are scaring the ladies away from pinball you are the biggest loser on the planet.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball
Plastics
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Calgary, AB
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 673 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 14.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/there-are-good-women-in-pinball/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.