CPI.png
img304.jpg
Barb.jpg
crowded-surfing.jpg
image.jpg
un-nice.jpg
IMG_2297.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 673 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 14.
#301 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

With a name like Curtis_playfield, I doubt a lot of people thought you were a woman. Who'd have known?

Lots of women do not use any gender indicators online as a method to avoid harassment. This is not a rare thing, sadly.

#302 8 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Such is the life of a miserable feminist I guess.

you are a bad person and you should feel bad.

#303 8 years ago
Quoted from Northernhuskie2:

It's only hostile if you choose to let it be.

*headdesk.gif*

#304 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's the best thing women can do if they want to have a larger footprint in pinball - get out in front!

You know what the best thing men can do if they want women in pinball? Call out ALL of the bullshit behaviour, even if it's just trying to be mildly cheeky or irreverent.
this culture of misogyny isn't women's responsibility to fix. They can contribute, but it will be men who learn the lessons of the past who need to have the biggest effect here.

#305 8 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Really, just tired of political correctness saturating all aspects of life. Now it's reared its ugly head on this message board. Feel free to respond so you can have the last word. I will leave the thread now. (I promise)

"political correctness" == "you are being an asshole and now facing repercussions for it." grow the hell up.

#306 8 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Oh wait, nobody knows what that means for some reason.

yes, because "misandry" is a bullshit idea. That is why everyone either doesn't know what it means, or makes fun of it.

#307 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

faulty premise. men occupy a dominant role here already (whether you choose to interpret "here" as Pinside or Pinball or even popular culture generally). the atmosphere is unwelcoming and hostile towards women, as several women have attested to in this thread, but men don't want to hear that. they want to pretend the fact that they occupy an incredibly dominant, overrepresented role here is irrelvant, when in fact it is basically the point.

I am *shocked* so many people downvoted this. I should write down the list of belligerent a-holes for future reference.

#308 8 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I told my wife about this thread and she rolled her eyes and offered to post a boob pic as a representative of the female population that doesn't give a shit about a bunch of dudes giggling over T and A. Misogyny my ass. So exhausted of the who got offended today parades.

*phew* glad your wife is over that whole feminism thing, best you tell all other women they should get over it ASAP!

#309 8 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

this culture of misogyny isn't women's responsibility to fix. They can contribute, but it will be men who learn the lessons of the past who need to have the biggest effect here.

Give me some examples of what lessons men could learn from the past on Pinside; that would apply here.

#310 8 years ago

double post

#311 8 years ago

Would it not be proper to post a pic of the doublemint twins?

#312 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Would it not be proper to post a pic of the doublemint twins?

I'll post them.

I don't give a ship what anyone thinks.

#313 8 years ago

Perhaps we can lighten the mood with some Helen Reddy.

#314 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Give me some examples of what lessons men could learn from the past on Pinside; that would apply here.

Here's one lesson that men could have learned from Pinside's past: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nor-cal-pinheads-thread/page/26

Jonnyo made a poster to promote an event, the poster had some sex jokes which on the surface seemed similar to the jokes in a poster for an all-girl tournament ("No balls required", "Move it Sausage", "BOOBS" and "BYOBoobs"), and there was backlash from some people who were offended. I don't for a second think Jonnyo's a bad guy or meant to be divisive, it's just that like millions of guys (everywhere and on pinside) I don't think he fundamentally understood why this sort of talk is a problem. So I tried to explain it in a way that might help guys understand it better:

Quoted from yonkiman:

I keep seeing reference to a "double standard". Well there definitely is one, but it's much more than "women get to make dick jokes and men don't." Most men have never been in a position where their boss is hitting on them, and how they react to that will affect their career path. Not to mention having to wonder if you are valued for anything more than your looks. Most men have never had to worry if the woman who's been leering at them all night might follow them to their car as they leave the bar and physically overpower them. And in part because of that, many men seem unaware of that their sex-based jokes can trigger a woman's spidey-sense.

It's the same reason black people can use the "n-word" while others shouldn't - they're trying to take the terrible oppressive, sickening power out of the word. I realize this might seem like a double standard to some, but it makes perfect sense to me. The poster's dick jokes was a funny way of saying "we understand why some of you girls are uncomfortable going to these events, but we're making this a safe place." Following that up with an invitation for guys to attend so they can "perv some chicks" not only undoes this, it makes it sound like a much more hostile place.

But I have no doubt that Jonnyo only had the best intentions (as would anyone who's knows him or what he's done for our community), I believe he only said that because he thought he was riffing off the humor that was in the original poster. He simply didn't understand why that humor was there in the first place, what its purpose was.

This whole thread makes me so sad - a bunch of good people trying to have fun and community, then a misunderstanding that made all the hard work of two of them backfire and increased the gulf between two groups of pinball lovers. It's not anyone's fault, it's just a lack of understanding. Everyone had good intentions. I hope everyone can give everyone else the benefit of a doubt and get past this.

I like to think that helped change the perspective of at least a *few* people...

#316 8 years ago

This thead does not fempute!

#317 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Perhaps we can lighten the mood with some Helen Reddy.

im more of a carol king fan

#318 8 years ago

Flynnibus - YOU just don't get it and attempting to explain yourself slowly does not hide the flaw in your arguments. I've seen that whole "smile" thing and it is a guy thing done to somehow interact with a pretty woman when he wouldn't normally be welcome to. A woman doesn't have to smile just to please you and in this instance, it was obvious the comment was unwanted. So, argue that people are "too PC," but that does not excuse harassing behavior. Lemme guess, you now have to drop your favorite pick up line - "smile girl!" Dont worry, it never worked anyway.

Keep your head up, blondetall.

#319 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It sounds like the management at your company are complete amateur's and have zero clue about what they are doing. Anyone in management with even a rudimentary understanding of business and dealing with employees would know to *never* laugh at a complaint by an employee who is having these kinds of issues.

RobT knows what's up.

I could get fired if one of my team members tells me they were harassed and I don't do anything about it.

People have different thresholds of what they consider harassment, but it takes a special kind of asshole to tell someone complaining of harassment that what they are experiencing isn't, or to downplay the situation.

Also, the unfortunate reality is if one of my skilled, salaried team members complained against a lower skilled hourly wage earner repeatedly, it would be a no-brainer for me to just get rid of the hourly worker. Mediocre hourly staff are a dime a dozen, skilled resources that take months of training are not.

#320 8 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

*phew* glad your wife is over that whole feminism thing, best you tell all other women they should get over it ASAP!

Nope....unlike you I have no need to tell others what to do or how to act.

#321 8 years ago

When did Pinside turn into an afternoon talk show? When i first joined PINSIDE, there was tons of tech posts. Guides on how to fix, walkthroughs or restores, and troubleshooting posts. Now i have to search to even find anything usefull.
Could we not get back to the matter at hand, Pinball? We dont need all the BS, Drama, and etc...
I dont like PC, and I think people get out of hand with it. But, there should be some sort of decorum that should be observerd (being respectful, and making this a helpfull place).

Ok..I said my peace.. Now im guilty as well.

#322 8 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

When did Pinside turn into an afternoon talk show? When i first joined PINSIDE, there was tons of tech posts. Guides on how to fix, walkthroughs or restores, and troubleshooting posts. Now i have to search to even find anything usefull.
Could we not get back to the matter at hand, Pinball? We dont need all the BS, Drama, and etc...
I dont like PC, and I think people get out of hand with it. But, there should be some sort of decorum that should be observerd (being respectful, and making this a helpfull place).
Ok..I said my peace.. Now im guilty as well.

Agree. Back to pinball.

#323 8 years ago

Great visual example to help illustrate the issue!
- If this is someone you know, and you're capturing a point in time sharing your friend playing pinball, great!

- If this is someone you don't know and you lucked into a long legged butt shot of a stranger where you high-fived your buddies snickering behind her and then sharing without her consent, creepy & offensive!

Many of you might say "What's the difference? Same picture, hot girl playing pinball!" But to the girl, it's not. Does that help anyone?

Quoted from kaneda:

Agree. Back to pinball.
image.jpg

#324 8 years ago
Quoted from Rando:

- If this is someone you know, and you're capturing a point in time sharing your friend playing pinball, great!
- If this is someone you don't know and you lucked into a long legged butt shot of a stranger where you high-fived your buddies snickering behind her and then sharing without her consent, creepy & offensive!
Many of you might say "What's the difference? Same picture, hot girl playing pinball!" But to the girl, it's not. Does that help anyone?

If this was someone I didn't know, I'd be the creepiest dude on the planet. Yuck. No, that's my GF Brenda. She totally loves pinball and geeking out with me. And there is a HUGE difference sharing a photo of someone you know playing pinball and a total stranger.

IMG_2297.jpgIMG_2297.jpg

#325 8 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

yes, because "misandry" is a bullshit idea. That is why everyone either doesn't know what it means, or makes fun of it.

Just wow.

#326 8 years ago

Huh I'm a little confussed. On page 2 of this thread there's a picture of Kaneda's girlfriend bending over a pinball machine showing her *ss. So because it serves the purpose of this thread it's ok , yet if it was in a thread called 'Hot Women of pinball' it wouldn't be? Can you say double standard!?! Maybe some of us would like to decide for ourselves what's offensive, instead of having others make that choice for us. You may embrace censorship - I don't...........

#327 8 years ago
Quoted from yonkiman:

Here's one lesson that men could have learned from Pinside's past: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nor-cal-pinheads-thread/page/26
Jonnyo made a poster to promote an event, the poster had some sex jokes which on the surface seemed similar to the jokes in a poster for an all-girl tournament ("No balls required", "Move it Sausage", "BOOBS" and "BYOBoobs"), and there was backlash from some people who were offended. I don't for a second think Jonnyo's a bad guy or meant to be divisive, it's just that like millions of guys (everywhere and on pinside) I don't think he fundamentally understood why this sort of talk is a problem. So I tried to explain it in a way that might help guys understand it better:

I like to think that helped change the perspective of at least a *few* people...

I didn't make a poster, just a few in-kind jokes similar to the ones in their poster.

And yes, it was a double standard and I stand by everything I said. You do not get a free pass because you claim some sort of victim status. I'm filipino, mexican,and a quarter polish and have heard everything from jokes to active discrimination. Doesn't mean I get to make jokes at other's expense if I'm not willing to receive it in kind.

Which I am. I thought "move it sausage" was funny. What wasn't funny was when they could make a joke but not take one.

#328 8 years ago

This conversation reminds me of Lewis's Law - "the comments on any article about feminism justify feminism". Or more specifically here, a corollary known as Anita's Irony - "Online discussion of sexism or misogyny quickly results in disproportionate displays of sexism and misogyny."

Being fairly new here, I hadn't had experience yet with how women are treated on this site. I have now though. A big thanks to those who are standing up and supporting the idea of treating women fairly and with respect. As for others... well, I've become educated on and familiar with the process of how to ignore people on Pinside.

#329 8 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

At TPF they gave out cash prizes for every tournament except women's... That's fucked up.
Ed_in_Texas said:
It did not cost anything to enter the woman's tourney at TPF. Women that played in the Wizard's tournament (along with the men and for IFPA points and an equal opportunity to win a cash prize) were also qualifying for the women's tournament at no additional cost (even Kid's tournament had an entry fee).
In 2016, TPF will have a stand alone women's tourney with it's own cash prizes.
This is precisely the problem of "over-moderation" or jumping on the bandwagon: automatically assuming victim-hood without all the facts. If the goal is an equal playing field and respect for all, then the same burden of proof should be our cultural expectation regardless of gender. A comment like that is offensive, and disparages the efforts of those who put in the long hours to run the tournaments at TPF, and it should not get a pass, or "true until proven incorrect" status, because the assumed victim happens to be women, or any other .

No, it was messed up, along with most things regarding tournaments at the TPF. As far as I know (and I talked about it with a few of the ladies in the tournament) everyone was expecting cash prizes. When you asked any of the help if all of the tournaments had cash prizes, they said yes. As I stated before, there were a number of women that only entered the wizards tourney because it was required to enter the women's. The whole thing might have been fine if it was messaged the way Marcus and Ed are explaining it now, but it wasn't.

Besides that, the "no entry fee" excuse is crap. The organizers of that tournament walked away with thousands of dollars in entry fees in excess of what it took to organize the event.

At the end of the day, did the setup make the winners of the women's event feel like they were second-class citizens and that their tournament was less meaningful than the 12-and-under? At least for some, it did. That is the problem.

#330 8 years ago
Quoted from Rando:

Let me get this straight, it's ok if you know the person in the pic? What if that person does not want the pic taken at all, but get you know them. Why is it automatically wrong to put up a pic of someone you don't know if they were posing for a pic? They clearly would be allowing the pic to be taken since they had posed for it.
See there are no black and white answers. It's all up to the one who decided to be offended or to not be offended.

#331 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Agree. Back to pinball.

I assume you posted this pic to showcase your friend's sweet denim cut-offs/loafer look?

#332 8 years ago

OK folks...this thread is about good women in pinball. If you want to discuss which pictures are and are not appropriate to post, please open a separate thread on that. Let's keep it on topic.

#333 8 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Nope....unlike you I have no need to tell others what to do or how to act.

I actually like that my wife is a strong woman and not a wallflower. She knows how to handle herself and she challenges me. I have dated the brainless ditz type. No thanks.

#334 8 years ago

I don't get offended by much of anything, but I know when speech or content is inappropriate given the context (i.e., a pinball forum, in a thread celebrating women in pinball). That's not "being PC", it's being polite.

Thanks to cait001 for voicing some things I was already thinking.

#335 8 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

OK folks...this thread is about good women in pinball. If you want to discuss which pictures are and are not appropriate to post, please open a separate thread on that. Let's keep it on topic.

Ummm no. Here are the OP's words:

Why do we never hear about any of it in Pinside? What is going on? Women here are just fap fodder. There are thousands and thousands of pics of nude or primarily nude women, and there are plenty of threads about "hot chixxx on the backglass", and there are hundreds of jabs about how women love shopping for purses or shoes...but this is 2015. Women are an important facet to the pinball hobby, and we are everywhere. EXCEPT Pinside. This is the only pinball arena where women are dogged on, and not just dogged on, but dogged on in such a stupid and embarrassing way. Really? You guys come to a pinball forum to share all of this weak softcore.

So the issue of pictures is relavant here. Please remove the picture of Kaneda's girlfriend on page 2. It is offensive to women.......

#336 8 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Please remove the picture of Kaneda's girlfriend on page 2. It is offensive to women.......

It is?

#337 8 years ago

Sure I get to decide what's offensive. Kinda like you want to be able to decide what's offensive to me. That's only fair right. Isn't censorship fun?

#338 8 years ago

<rude post snipped>

#339 8 years ago
Quoted from Frankster:

Rude comment snipped by Moderator

I see that you are trying to be in it for the long haul here. GLWTS!

#340 8 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

When i first joined PINSIDE, there was tons of tech posts. Guides on how to fix, walkthroughs or restores, and troubleshooting posts. Now i have to search to even find anything usefull.

I joined pinside to meet girls.

#341 8 years ago

Holy shit! mods should keep PC out of threads just like they shut down politics left and right. This thread is so stupid death by political correctness. Such an inhumane way to die.

#342 8 years ago

Perfect time to totally erase a comment . That is the type of moderation that is needed for fools of this nature. <not referencing the troll>

#343 8 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

You are wrong.

#344 8 years ago

Well I guess I'm not up on the latest political correctness run amok here in sunny California. I was dumbfounded yesterday when a received a work related email from someone that works in the University of California system and the sender felt compelled to specify his "preferred pronoun" along with his contact information. So I Google it and sure enough it's a "thing" apparently in an effort to be inclusive just in case someone identifies as gender neutral.

Quoting from the email....

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
University of California (removed)
Martin (last name removed)
(address)
(phone)

I guess I'll need to start adding this so people won't be wringing their hands worried about how to properly address me in the future and potentially suffer from language anxiety.

#345 8 years ago

Frank being on pinside is far more offensive than any chick photo or comment...

#346 8 years ago

"This is the only pinball arena where women are dogged on, and not just dogged on, but dogged on in such a stupid and embarrassing way"

Pinside is tame compared to a couple other pinball arenas I frequent. Is this pick on Pinside week?

#347 8 years ago
Quoted from yonkiman:

Jonnyo made a poster to promote an event, the poster had some sex jokes which on the surface seemed similar to the jokes in a poster for an all-girl tournament ("No balls required", "Move it Sausage", "BOOBS" and "BYOBoobs"), and there was backlash from some people who were offended.

I'm not sure there is any actual **lesson** there.

So 3 people were offended and did not attend? Good, those people are probably not mature enough to be out in the wild.

I'm a Jew. There are tons of jokes at the expense of Jews on HBO shows. Even if I'm somehow offended by a joke, am I going to cancel HBO??? Of course not.

A comedian on HBO says:

=====

So I'm stuck at a wedding seated between a Rabbi and a Priest.

A 5 year old boy bends over to tie his shoe in front of us.

The Priest leans over to us and says "Wow, I'd like to screw that kid."

The Rabbi shrugs and asks "Out of what?"

======

Am I offended? Hell no.

There will always be somebody offended by something. That does not mean there is anything wrong.

#348 8 years ago

The whole idea behind this thread is to segregate women from men. Which is offensive in itself.

#349 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

No, it was messed up, along with most things regarding tournaments at the TPF. As far as I know (and I talked about it with a few of the ladies in the tournament) everyone was expecting cash prizes. When you asked any of the help if all of the tournaments had cash prizes, they said yes. As I stated before, there were a number of women that only entered the wizards tourney because it was required to enter the women's. The whole thing might have been fine if it was messaged the way Marcus and Ed are explaining it now, but it wasn't.
Besides that, the "no entry fee" excuse is crap. The organizers of that tournament walked away with thousands of dollars in entry fees in excess of what it took to organize the event.
At the end of the day, did the setup make the winners of the women's event feel like they were second-class citizens and that their tournament was less meaningful than the 12-and-under? At least for some, it did. That is the problem.

A misunderstanding and/or poor communication doesn't make the case for discrimination. And since those who ran the event have clarified their intents on the matter it's obvious that wasn't their intent either. Clinging to it being otherwise is not a matter of fairness but of trying to prove victimhood in the face of the facts.

#350 8 years ago

Women are amazing.

My mother was amazing. My wife is amazing. My daughter and her friends are amazing.

I will never fail to lend my voice to the chorus when it comes to treating women with the respect they deserve.

Pinside does not need to be sanitized or censored... People just need to act with a modicum of dignity. It's not that hard. It will not make Pinside worse, it will make it better. Community makes things better.

Don't be a dick, to anybody!! Not just women, but perhaps especially not to women.

Being rude, or caustic, or abusive is just SO easy and unoriginal. There is nothing sadder than a keyboard bully.

I love Pinball. It's why I come here.

Here's to Sarah, and Phoebe, and Kayte, and Kristin, and Guylaine, and Nat, and Kim, and Jen, and all the amazing women in pinball. The more you enjoy this hobby, the more we all will.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Calgary, AB
There are 673 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 14.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/there-are-good-women-in-pinball/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.