• Latest reply 6 years ago by pintechev
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3417 (resized).PNG
#1 6 years ago

Thought I'd share this as it's a sobering reminder to enjoy life everyday.
I buy/sell pinball/arcade games part time as a hobby which I'm sure most of us do. An older lady of a past client contacted me and said that she wanted to purchase a pinball game for her husband who has early stages of Alzheimer's. Her husband is 68 and played a lot in the 70's so I suggested an em pinball which would also fit her budget. She didn't want something too busy and no demon themes! As fate would have it a local auction house listed two for sale this weekend. Gorgar and el dorado. I was on my way south on Friday so I met them at fridays preview to advise on condition and price. Both machines were in really nice condition so I advised her to bid on el dorado with a max bid of $15-1600 cdn (plus 17% buyers premium and 12% pst/gst). Husband seemed totally spellbound when playing the game and was smiling the whole time. I cautioned Susan to not get their hopes up as I've seen crazy auction results in the past. Talked to Susan via text yesterday morning and she said that both her and her husband were so excited about the pinball that they hardly slept! I wished them well as they headed off to auction. Just after 11am she texted that they had won the auction with a bid of $1300 and that they were beyond happy! Today I'm going to pick it up and take it to buddies house for fine tuning as I want things to work perfectly for them. Not making any money on this but I'm only to happy to help out such a nice couple.
Moral of the story: enjoy life to its fullest everyday and helping others gives you something that money can't buy!

IMG_3417 (resized).PNGIMG_3417 (resized).PNG

#2 6 years ago

This is a great reminder and story indeed.
My mother in law lives with us and has had Alzheimer's for about 4 years. Needless to say depression sets in for her as she has lost her independence, unable to work or drive but we would rather her stay with us than go to a nursing home.
Getting back into pinball this past year has helped her out big time, its a way for my wife and I, and her to have real fun together and it has made a positive impact on her depression for sure. Im grateful to be able to have a machine at home now, more for her sake than mine.

#3 6 years ago

I was a "real" locksmith before I started working at the college. One day we had a call to go to a nursing home to do some work. Nobody else wanted to go so I took the call. I got there and they showed me what they needed done and in one of the rooms they had a em pinball machine. There was about 8 people packed around hooting and hollering. I thought whoever owned this place really hit on something.

#4 6 years ago

Wonderful post and story. Thank you for helping them out - that was a very good deed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucca Valley, CA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Placerville, CA
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/therapeutic-power-of-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.