Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2001.JPG
    6.jpg
    2.JPG
    3.jpg
    4.JPG
    5.jpg
    6.JPG
    7.jpg
    8.jpg
    9.jpg
    1.JPG
    There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Just wanted to share with the community my recent visit to thepinballcompany's new warehouse in Columbia, Missouri and my new addition, Twilight Zone, to my collection. Nic and Brooke, the owners, are exceptional people and take customer service to another level. If anyone is looking for a high end restoration or a NIB pin, I highly recommend giving Brooke or Nic a call and see what they can do for you.
    Now for the cool stuff!! I got to play CC, ToM, ToTan, IJ, and MB all for the first time ... AND>>> drum roll. Finally got to lay fingers on, look under the hood, and play WoZ.
    So far loving the TZ. I'm glad to say this has been added to my collection.
    ......and the addiction continues.

#2 11 years ago

I sold an Indy 500 to them a few years ago...top notch, seamless transaction.

#3 11 years ago

Nick has bought 9 games from me over the years. Good on being the buyer no idea on them as a seller.

#4 11 years ago

I have a WOZ standard reserved from Nic with a trade in. Trying to deal another on his Gilligans! First rate in every way! Great communication and follow-up! Pleasure to deal with!!!

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Nick has bought 9 games from me over the years. Good on being the buyer no idea on them as a seller.

Agreed. I have sold them two games and it was the easiest transactions I have ever had.

#6 11 years ago

Nic and Brooke are both swell..

Bought my first game, LOTR from them (before I was aware of all the trading going on here)
    and I never had a single problem with it and Nic set me up on a good deal for my Hobbit LE..

If you're ever uncomfortable sending money to strangers for a used game.. they're a great resource and Brook can usually find you a nice version of a specific game you're looking from one of their usual customers...

#7 11 years ago

+1, Very nice people to deal with. I sold them a very high level Medieval Madness a couple years ago that they resold to Celine Dion. I had that stupid song from Titanic stuck in my head for two days. It was awful.

#8 11 years ago

Trivia time: Columbia Missouri is home to the University of Missouri at Columbia. The alma mater of Ken Lay, the lead Enron crook who cost employees and investors billions.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmike217:

+1, Very nice people to deal with. I sold them a very high level Medieval Madness a couple years ago that they resold to Celine Dion. I had that stupid song from Titanic stuck in my head for two days. It was awful.

LOL

3 weeks later
    #10 11 years ago

Just wanted to post an update so if anyone in the future reads through this post because they were thinking about buying from Nic and Brooke..... I had my clock start acting up on my TZ. Called Nic and he dropped shipped me a new clock board and sent out a tech to make any necessary repairs, at all no cost. A+ in customer service!

#11 11 years ago

I am doing some service work for Brooke in the am on a TSPP

#12 11 years ago

Sorry, did not have the best experience from them. Agreed to a deal on a HS2 on March 4th. Finally told me 3 weeks later that that would not be happening. Repeated emails went unanswered for the most part. For the sale of accuracy...I am not the most patience person when it comes to Pinball. In addition I made another deal with them for a BOP that I am getting delivery on Monday. I hope that is a better experience.

#13 11 years ago

This is the company that takes your order and the goes on RGP to see if they can purchase one to sell to you. You can just see if anyone has the title for sale yourself and save the middleman cost.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from maf-mi:

This is the company that takes your order and the goes on RGP to see if they can purchase one to sell to you. You can just see if anyone has the title for sale yourself and save the middleman cost.

Well on that. My Bride of Pinbot that I bought from them is being shipped from Cailfornia. They are in MO. That was a shock to me.

#15 11 years ago

Yes, in many cases, brokers..
    But for some people it facilitates an easier transaction when shipping across country.. you can use your cc and pay them instead of a stranger a thousand miles away.. and as other mentions also helpful when needing to unload a machine or trading in a machine...

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

But for some people it facilitates an easier transaction when shipping across country.. you can use your cc and pay them instead of a stranger a thousand miles away.. and as other mentions also helpful when needing to unload a machine or trading in a machine...

Yes understand. However, i do not recall any disclaimer on their website that the game(s) would be shipping anywhere other than in MO. Logically, if the game ships from any other site(In this case Califrornia) they would not be looking over the game in person.

#17 11 years ago

I sold a game to them. Quick and smooth transaction and they arranged the shipping fast. I would totally do it again. I have never purchased from them though...

#18 11 years ago

They have some nice looking "high end restorations". Does anybody know who does their resto's?

#19 11 years ago

Keller.

#20 11 years ago

I have made several purchases from them. Brooke an Nic are first rate. I highly recommend them to anyone buying a new machine. Good people.

#21 11 years ago

Sold them a nice restored Funhouse a year or two ago, smooth as silk transaction! Brooke was great! They buy machines all over the country from many collectors and restorers like myself.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from maf-mi:

I've never used them before, but I'm aware of this company simply because it appears they use RGP exclusively to locate machines for their customers. This is not a knock to their operation, but for those of us that utilize Pinside & RGP regularly, I couldn't imagine reaching out to them for a pin unless they have the game you are looking for in stock.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

But for some people it facilitates an easier transaction when shipping across country.. you can use your cc and pay them instead of a stranger a thousand miles away

I see why many feel their prices are too high, but it seems no different then paying more for a car at a dealership rather than a private seller. Now as for these deals where they act like a broker and buy the pin for you, is their markup less in that case? (For a pin in their showroom, I understand why the price has to be higher due to the overhead cost. They had to pay to have it shipped to their location, and there's the added cost to shop the machine out before reshipping.) But if you get to pay for the pin with your credit card plus a reasonable fee for them (say a few hundred more - not thousands) and in return they purchase the machine to have it shipped directly to you while agreeing to warranty it for 90 days, that sounds like a fair deal. It may not be desirable for buyers willing to accept a little more risk, but I can see where that might appeal to others.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

They have some nice looking "high end restorations". Does anybody know who does their resto's?

I know Dan Goett recently started working full time for them. Not sure exactly what his role is, but he does nice restoration work as well.

They do broker a lot of pins. Find a customer, get a good price, find a pin for said customer.

I've never heard anyone who sold them a pin complain, and I've never heard anyone who bought a pin from them complain, either.

As often as pins seem to be misrepresented, that says a lot - because if they are having pins drop shipped to buyers, and they never see said pin before delivery, they must have a good track record with the people selling them pins!

#25 11 years ago

I bought my AFM from them 4 years ago. Maybe I paid a bit more than market value at the time, but it was in good shape and I didn't have to wait in line to buy one out of state.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Trivia time: Columbia Missouri is home to the University of Missouri at Columbia. The alma mater of Ken Lay, the lead Enron crook who cost employees and investors billions.

He was never convicted.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

He was never convicted.

He was convicted, the convictions were later vacated due to his death. A simple Google search will show that he was found guilty of six counts of conspiracy and fraud and four counts of fraud and false statements.

I don't know why I'm bothering to post this since it has nothing to do with The Pinball Company.

#28 11 years ago

Nick has bought 2 Mortal Kombat Arcades that i restored in the last 3 months. they pay quickly and I have had no issues. We tried to work a deal on his SS, but ended up not striking a deal.

#29 11 years ago

I do occasional work for The Pinball Company, and know Nic and Brooke. Their market is generally not the RGP or PinSide market. The games that I've serviced for them in the past are always top quality, nicely shopped games.

I'm sure Nic and Brooke know that in the pinball community, reputation is everything.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#30 11 years ago

I just finished a service call for them and got paid before I even left the driveway. Top notch people.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I know Dan Goett recently started working full time for them. Not sure exactly what his role is, but he does nice restoration work as well.
    They do broker a lot of pins. Find a customer, get a good price, find a pin for said customer.
    I've never heard anyone who sold them a pin complain, and I've never heard anyone who bought a pin from them complain, either.
    As often as pins seem to be misrepresented, that says a lot - because if they are having pins drop shipped to buyers, and they never see said pin before delivery, they must have a good track record with the people selling them pins!

i have sold them lots of games - they are great to deal with and most of the time they ship they from my house right to the new owner. very good people to deal with. thanks ed

#32 11 years ago

Yep, johnwartjr is correct. I am the primary pinball technician for The Pinball Company. I've been around pinball since 1998 and have done many high end restorations. I go the extra mile to make sure everything is working like it's supposed to be and be very clean.
    I just finished a TZ and even replaced the 6 blinker sockets to take the commonly available 455 bulbs. A lot of other "techs" would just shove 555's in there and ship it out.

And what others have written is true. We buy some of our machines from the same places collectors on pinside and RGP do and even from lots of people reading this. We have a different customer base, mostly people who know nothing about the inner workings of a machine or where to buy one. We offer a year part warranty and a 30 day mechanical defect warranty for home users. You don't get that on ebay and that's a value to a lot of people.

If you're close to Columbia, MO stop by and see our operation.
    Dan

2 weeks later
    #34 11 years ago

I just recently purchased a TOTAN from The Pinball Company and thought some people who came across this thread might like to know what it was like. Overall I would say it was a positive transaction but also wish to provide full disclosure about the entire experience and let others decide for themselves.

I say this simply because I know a lot of members here fall into a group that like to search CL for the best deals, drive to play the pin in question, then restore it after bringing it home. If you see yourself as this type of collector, then TPC is definitely not the place for you. But I'm exactly the opposite. I didn't want to have to spend months searching for a deal on CL, didn't want to drive a long way to pick it up, and am way too new in this hobby to begin tackling a major restoration project.

Plus - even though I like the community on this forum (I never would have joined otherwise), I'm a little reluctant to send a check to a complete stranger selling his machine. Having been swindled before for purchases far less that weren't pin related on such sites as eBay and Amazon's marketplace, I figured dealing with TPC would be a safe bet since they are a legitimate, known business and accredited by the BBB. (That's Better Business Bureau - not Big Bang Bar. ) And you won't be getting a one-year parts warranty on a machine purchased from Joe Nobody.

So with that being said, my first impression was that Nic Parks was a very nice guy, enthusiastic about pinball and was happy I called. We worked out a deal where I paid him 20% up front by check on the TOTAN in his showroom, where it would get in line for a few weeks to be shopped, then I would send him a check for the balance. By agreeing to pay by check rather than credit card, he was able to work out a discount for me on the purchase price so ultimately I ended up paying $8,195 for the machine. This price included curbside shipping and full LEDs. (Incidentally, Nic never cashed the second check until after delivery of the machine. I thought that was interesting and worth mentioning.)

In the meantime, Brooke would send me pictures of the pin so I knew exactly what I was getting. If I asked for photos of specific areas she would send those as well. So from the photos you can clearly see the machine has cabinet fade on one side (kind of a moot point for me since the machine will ultimately end up in a corner where that side won't even be visible), some of the same wear I see on everyone's TOTANs around the left orb and ball scoop (but the genie magnet looks fine), and what appears to be some kind of blemish in the shooter lane (it actually looks better in person and is smooth to the touch). On the plus side, the playfield and cabinet look like they're in great shape.

This is my second pin - after thinking my first one would be my one and only. My first one was purchased from Allen at TC. Clearly there's a difference between a collector's quality TC pin and one from TPC at this price. But I will go broke real quick if I have all my pins professionally restored. One of the reasons I chose to purchase the TOTAN from TPC was to save at least $4,000 over a CQ pin. Is saving $4,000 worth some cabinet fade I'll never see and some normal playfield wear that can be easily concealed with cliffys? For me this was an acceptable trade-off. Based on prices I've seen other TOTANs sell for, I'm thinking I could have bought one like mine for around $6500-$7000 including shipping - maybe even less. But as I mentioned previously, there are also advantages to buying from TPC which justify the extra expense for some.

So when my pin finally arrived, I was very impressed with the skill and care at which it was packaged and pallet-shipped. The shipper was not NAVL, but it was tightly wrapped in two layers of plastic and THREE blankets. I'm convinced the only way you could have damaged this thing would have been to do it deliberately.

Now to point out some negatives which I noticed after I was able to examine the machine in person...

One of the skill shot decals is a little worn. (I ordered a replacement from marcospecialties.)

Before I purchased the machine, I asked Bally4022 (who started this thread) what his impression was of this machine when he played it. He was nice enough to reply and told me the one thing he remembered was how the ball always got stuck whenever it drained down the right outlane. He mentioned it to Nic, but just to be safe I mentioned it to him as well by email. Well waddaya know - I get the machine and immediately notice the ball gets stuck there. As you can see in the photo, there's actually no way it can drain because the lane is too narrow. The black dividing piece to the right was a little loose, so I unscrewed it from underneath the playfield then held it firmly while tightly screwing it back in place. It took a few tries for me to get this right, pushing the piece slightly to the right as I secured it back down, but finally was able to gain about 1/64th inch of clearance for the ball - just enough so that it never gets hung up anymore.

My main gripe can be seen in the photo of the captive ball on the left. The piece of plastic that should cover this part is broken off, and when I went back to look at the photos Brooke sent me I saw that it was broken before it was shipped to me as well. So when the pin arrived at my home, this ball was rolling around in the bottom of the cabinet. And now when you play the game, if you hit the captive ball too hard it actually gets knocked onto the playfield and becomes an extra ball in play! I immediately let Nic know about this and he ordered a replacement part for me the next day. (Incidentally, he couldn't find it anywhere local so it's shipping from Pinball Spare Parts Australia.)

So that's basically all the highlights. I would say if the price is right I would buy from Nic again. The shipping was top notch and the machine plays well with no errors. It doesn't feel run down and I was able to purchase the pin with confidence knowing TPC didn't have the kind of infamous reputation as FUN! My only real complaint is the questionable nature as to how thoroughly this machine was shopped. Mind you, I didn't pay for a collector's quality restoration and I can't say there were any surprises since I got exactly what I saw in the photos, but exactly how well was this thing playtested if a ball getting stuck in the right outlane went unnoticed? (After being mentioned by two other people no less!) And of course the aforementioned broken plastic was a pretty severe oversight which could have resulted in unfortunate damage with a loose ball rolling around during shipping. (Luckily nothing else got broken.) Being familiar so far with how to perform only minor pinball repairs, I can't say I'm too thrilled about figuring out how to tear down a portion of the playfield to install the replacement plastic on its way, but at least I know Nic stands by his warranty and will order outside the US if he has to do this.

Hope this detailed account helps others.

1.JPG1.JPG2.JPG2.JPG3.jpg3.jpg4.JPG4.JPG5.jpg5.jpg6.JPG6.JPG

#35 11 years ago

More photos.

6.jpg6.jpg7.jpg7.jpg8.jpg8.jpg9.jpg9.jpg

#36 11 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed report. I have looked at their site a few times recently as they have some games that are on my most-wanted list that I can't seem to find locally. The prices are pretty high, even for a brick-and-mortar dealer, but it sounds like they are reputable.

Enjoy the TOTAN, I would love to have one someday.

#37 11 years ago

We do a ton of work for Nick and Brooke great people I almost had her talked into to naming their new baby Dale

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

He was convicted, the convictions were later vacated due to his death. .

Convicted means in a court of law. He never even had a trial to be convicted by a jury because he died.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

Convicted means in a court of law. He never even had a trial to be convicted by a jury because he died.

Google "Kenneth Lay conviction". You'll find that on May 25, 2006 a jury found him guilty and he was CONVICTED of all six counts of securities and wire fraud that he had been tried for. He was alive and kicking when he was convicted. His conviction was later vacated due to his death. The vacated conviction doesn't change the fact that a jury found him guilty and he was convicted.

1 week later
    #40 10 years ago

Hello Pinsiders!

To those who have shared your experiences with our company, we really appreciate it. Many of you have been kind enough to say some nice words about Brooke and I. That means a lot to us. We could not do what we do without the help of the pinball community. You all know how difficult it can be in the business of pinball. All I know is that we do our best for our customers and it is an absolute blessing to make a living in pinball and to provide jobs to people I respect. At our new building we have 50-60 pins including all the top rated machines. I urge anyone who passes down I-70 between St. Louis and Kansas City to swing by. I always make sure I can spend some time with our visitors. It is true that when we have a customer wanting a particular title in a hurry, we sometimes have to find them on RGP, eBay, Pinside, etc. We do our best to match the best possible machine with an eager customer. We stand by those machines with our 1 year warranty and cover the first service call if it does not work 100% when it arrives. On the other hand, we shop close to 200 machines in house every year. I have to thank my technicians Mark and Dan for that. We also have some great young talent in Von and Nathan that help too In the beginning, my customers received great refurbished pinball machines, but we could do much better. Today, after 7 years in the business, I could not be prouder of the quality of machines leaving our shop every day. If you have collector quality machines for sale, please contact us. If you are an experienced pinball technician looking for some extra work, please contact us. If you just want to talk pinball with fellow pinball collectors, stop on by anytime or look for us at the Expo!

Nic Parks
    The Pinball Company
    www.ThePinballCompany.com

IMG_2001.JPGIMG_2001.JPG

#41 10 years ago

Hey that first pin looks familiar..

By the way I bought from them and can only say great things. Especially starting out. They will walk you through any troubleshooting and have outstanding service.

#42 10 years ago

Nic,

Do you know when you are getting your Woz's?

I purchased mine through Chad which is then through you.

Kurt

#43 10 years ago

Over 8k for a non HE restore TOTAN? That seems quite high.

#44 10 years ago

Hey Kurt. Chad ordered with me early, so it should be very soon. Jack asked me what 10 numbers he should ship to me first and a couple in that first 10 are for Chad.

Supply and demand rommy. Remember, a machine is worth what someone is willing to pay. We have sold 3 TOTANs in the last 12 months including the one discussed earlier in the thread

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Over 8k for a non HE restore TOTAN?

c'mon, man...

#46 10 years ago

I'm really glad to see this thread. I have been to the site several times and this encourages me to consider them in the future.

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

If you know where I can get a HE restore TOTAN for that price I will sell mine in a heartbeat.

#48 10 years ago

Yesterday I drove down to MO from IA to meet up with Nic. I had a NIB XMEN LE Magneto for trade/sell. Nic contacted me about a trade and we were able to work out a deal...

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that...

1 month later
    #50 10 years ago

I was just in Columbia today on business, call them and asked if I could come by and check out the the showroom. I have not bought from them before but I would consider it in the future. They have some very nice pins in stock to sell. Nick and Brooke were both informative, nice to talk with, and kind enough to show me around their new place. Let me know when the party is!!!

Chris

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thepinballcompanycom-missouri and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.