(113 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-3.jpeg
qj2z.gif
Hoarders_.jpg
doh.jpg
fry_troll.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bradlinden.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

I had a thought the other day about a potentially big influence on the recent rises in pinball prices (especially NIB games).

A few years ago, after plenty of delays and doubts, Big Bang Bar remakes were delivered. If I remember right, prices on those games immediately skyrocketed and some who took the risk of pre-ordering a game were able to sell their games at double what they paid. As this happened, there were a lot of people kicking themselves for not ordering a BBB in the first place.

Fast forward a few years, and Jack announces that he is starting a new pinball company and making a game. Delivery schedule is tentative, but he's got big dreams and is taking pre-orders. Consciously or not, I think a lot of people had BBB flashbacks with that announcement, and were not going to miss this chance at getting a rare and highly valuable machine. Of course peoples' rapport with Jack and desire for something new were big factors, but I think the "BBB Factor" probably made it way easier to put forward a lot of money on a potential risk.

With so many people learning their lesson from missing BBB, Jack gets plenty of pre-orders. Meanwhile, Stern sees what people are willing to pay for machines, and they up their prices also. And this chain influences the used market prices also.

I'm not suggesting that the economy, growth of the pinball market, greed, etc. aren't factors, but I wonder if BBB is a subtle yet powerful influence here. I guess one way to gauge this would be to survey WOZ "owners" on whether their main motivation to buy was Investment or pure interest in owning the game itself. [feel free to vote in the poll if you are a WOZ owner]

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

13,000 (OBO)
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
$ 209.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

$ 16.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bradlinden.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theory-on-why-pinball-prices-have-risen?tu=bradlinden and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.