Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by gweempose
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2510.JPG
    IMG_2508.JPG
    IMG_2514.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

I have a theory about the 3D translites from Stern. Avatar and Tron.

I've noticed that when you look at them with the game off (no backlight) and have a nice light source coming from the front they look really crisp and beautiful and the 3D effect is more pronounced. But when you turn on the game and have it backlit, it looks a bit blurry and some double images and less pronounced with the 3D (in comparison).

My theory is that these 3D translites were designed to be lit from the front.

Thoughts?

#2 11 years ago

You may be right. I do think the Avatar translite came out better than Tron. There didn't seem to be enough depth variance in the Tron elements for the 3D to really pop. Curious if someone with technical knowledge of these can offer insight.

#3 11 years ago

Good observation. Add a Warming filter to the fluoro light and it looks great on the Tron.

#4 11 years ago

What is a warming filter and where can I get one?

#5 11 years ago

I thought translites by nature were better lit from the front...

#7 11 years ago

I have a dimming filter on all my stern games. It reduces glare on the upper part of the playfield. A piece of duct tape on the front of the bulb, but not wrapped around the bulb does the trick perfectly.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

dimming filter...A piece of duct tape

Now that's funny!

How much are you selling them for?

Robert

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

markmon said:dimming filter...A piece of duct tape
    Now that's funny!
    How much are you selling them for?
    Robert

Lol. It soundsike a joke but it wasn't . I'm of course not selling them. Just take a piece of duct tape or black gorilla tape and do the same thing. You actually don't realize how much glare is on the back of the playfield from these translates until you eliminate it.

#10 11 years ago

I just did this with that chrome type heat reflective tape used to tape heat ducting. Worked very well! Thanks markmon!

#11 11 years ago

so you put the duck tape directly on the fluorescent tube?
    can you post a pic please?
    less glare would be great.

#12 11 years ago

Sure, here ya go!

IMG_2514.JPGIMG_2514.JPG IMG_2508.JPGIMG_2508.JPG IMG_2510.JPGIMG_2510.JPG

#13 11 years ago

wow, looks good shock me...... any problems with the bulb heating up too much with the tape applied?

what kind of led bulbs are you using in your tron??

#14 11 years ago

No problems with heat with this aluminum tape so far, but I haven't left the games on all day to test it. I can't see it being an issue.

The only led's in the game so far are in the return lanes. They were installed by the PO. They are the frosted white units. I'll be swapping them out for colored incandescents in the near future. I don't care for led's in the GI, but inserts are nice on occasion.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from shock_me:

I just did this with that chrome type heat reflective tape used to tape heat ducting. Worked very well! Thanks markmon!

So that is not your standard duct tape?

#16 11 years ago

No it's not, it's that aluminum stuff with the peel off backing. I'm sure duct tape will work fine, but I had this stuff lying around, and I figured it would work well.

#17 11 years ago

The aluminum tape is in the insulation isle at home depot; next to the Great Stuff.

6 months later
    #18 11 years ago

let me see if I'm understanding this correctly. you're putting a [circle] of aluminium tape on the top end of the led's to diffuse them?

doesn't that cause dark circles to appear underneath the translite? (like little solar eclipses)

edit:
    nevermind, I now see that this is for stern machines only. (or those translites that are lit by a flourescent tube. not games lit by incandescent/led bulbs)

#19 11 years ago

Looks good. Wish I could figure out something to do with the flipper fidelity LED board in my Transformers. I love it, but it's too damn bright. Wish there was a adjuster so I could lower the intensity.

#20 11 years ago

Thanks for reviving this thread, never heard of or seem this, but will be giving it serious consideration for my TF!!

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Wish I could figure out something to do with the flipper fidelity LED board in my Transformers. I love it, but it's too damn bright.

Eh... what is this? A board behind the translite I guess...?? You're saying it's brighter than the noen tube?? Sorry, totally confused

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Looks good. Wish I could figure out something to do with the flipper fidelity LED board in my Transformers. I love it, but it's too damn bright. Wish there was a adjuster so I could lower the intensity.

Agree with this. Is there any recourse? Also, wasn't someone selling a translite glare guard?

#23 11 years ago

Can't aluminum tape conduct electricity? I don't think it's a particularly good conductor, but seems it could cause issues if it makes contact with anything in the backbox.

I don't know if it is, but seems more risky than duct tape anyway.

#24 11 years ago

I was watching Pawn Stars last night and saw someone brought in a "Lenticular" photograph. Looked pretty cool, similar to a hologram and I think cheap to make. I wonder if that's how they make the translites, and if someone wasn't reproducing the hologram now it would be worth a try.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

could cause issues if it makes contact with anything in the backbox

Take the tube out, apply the tape, re-install the tube. It's no more risky than using a screwdriver to remove a board imo. Of course do all this with the game off

#27 11 years ago

Cointaker makes awesome backbox kits as well!

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from NYP:

I was watching Pawn Stars last night and saw someone brought in a "Lenticular" photograph. Looked pretty cool, similar to a hologram and I think cheap to make. I wonder if that's how they make the translites, and if someone wasn't reproducing the hologram now it would be worth a try.

The 3d translites are lenticular. You can either do multiple frames for animation or present different frames to each eye for a 3D effect. It's the same stuff you see on 1$ kid's cups from Target to get a 3d effect. I'm sure Stern would like everyone to believe it's some magical-hard-to-do thing, but the process is not expensive or difficult at all. It's extremely commonplace. The only thing that is out-of-place about doing it on a translite is it has to allow light through and the sheer size of it.

#29 11 years ago

Oh, and another thing, why is it that the backbox kit makers just LOVE color changers? I don't remember there being any rainbow Transformers, or rainbow programs in Tron...but yet here we are with FF's Tron 2d translite...featuring some color changers behind the name (shock shock) and some faders behind the upper left and upper right, and some color enhancers behind Clu..

Big. Whoop. I don't get how these guys are charging 130$ for stuff like this. It's a few leds, a simple controller, a IR remote, and some way to mount them, yeah? At least, that's what I'm guessing since none of the people that make these backbox kits actually show you what you're paying for before you buy it from them.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

It's a few leds, a simple controller, a IR remote, and some way to mount them, yeah?

Yep. That's exactly what it is. The markup on this stuff is crazy. That being said, I recently purchased an Avatar with one of the backbox kits installed. I have to admit, I kind of like it. I never would have spent the money on it myself, but it does create a nice effect.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theory-about-3d-translites-from-stern and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.