• Stranger Things 57 votes
    14%
  • Michael Jackson 22 votes
    6%
  • Boondocks 8 votes
    2%
  • Other (Add answer below) 19 votes
    5%

(Multiple choice - 396 votes by 180 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

index (resized).jpg
IMG_1482 (resized).PNG
1072full-billie-'buckwheat'-thomas (resized).jpg
a85921ec80cc0d1bebd767b5ed0b5a8364b4f277.jpg
DSC09897.JPG
DSC09896.JPG
DSC09895.JPG
DSC09893.JPG
DSC09892.JPG
DSC09883.JPG
images(18).jpg
images(20).jpg
images(19).jpg
images(6).jpg
images(4).jpg
images(16).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mizzou0103.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Ok. So the rap thread seemed a bit divisive, so let’s try dialing it back a notch. Would any of these themes have any crossover ability to the current pinball buyer, while potentially expanding into new markets. Pick as many as you’d actually consider.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

In not-joking terms, TNA is probably on the right track - rad score, cool nuclear theme, nifty 80s-wave artwork, and simple, understandable gameplay, so more stuff on that wavelength couldn't be a bad idea, though I have no idea how it earns on location.

This is a good call. Very impressed with Scott’s call to make a woman the hero of the game.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

The thing is, Im pretty sure the market that pinball manufacturers target is....wait for it....
Old, Male, White, and thats because we are the ones buying and playing these games, primarily.
I personally dont know any young black, Hispanic, or Asian dudes or many women that are into pinball. Im sure there are some out there, but most shows and expos Ive been to were dominated by middle aged white guys. I just dont really expect to see Stern or any other manufacturer pouring money into producing a game aimed at a demographic that probably wouldnt be very interested in spending money on it when they know that they have a solid market with us old white geezers.

You’re reason is exactly why you’d want to expand. It’s a typical market leader strategy to expand the market. The goal would be to pick a theme that doesn’t alienate your current base, but at the same time expands your market. I wouldn’t suggest going all in on a non-traditional theme, but prioritizing some thing with crossover appeal like Black Panther would make total sense.

#115 5 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Yeah, I have. Doesn't change the fact that the title is poorly worded. If you Change pretty much any of those adjectives in the title, the PC police will be all over you.
Obviously that wouldn't make sense given the demographic of pinball, but I think you know what I mean.

Agreed. My thread title totally stunk. I should have changed it earlier. I still stand by the post though. I think WOZ and TNA are good starts to expand the base. Just wish there were more of those out on location.

#135 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So this thread is about making pins more black, Hispanic, younger and minority driven?
Identity sales just don’t work

More female as well. The whole point of the thread was to find ways to expand the hobby beyond folks nostalgic for AC/DC, Iron Maiden, The Munsters, etc.

I really don’t get this “identity politics” label. It really seems like the label republicans use to put down things that don’t cater to their world view. It comes across as super self-centered.

#139 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

The irony of this statement is that you use the label of "republican" to paint everyone who doesn't agree with you with the same brush.

I couldn’t think of a better term. Identity politics is a term that gets tossed around (at least in the US) a lot lately. In my experience it’s used by people that identify as part of the republican base. If he’s not part of that group, I’m sorry.

#168 5 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Asking what themes would have crossover appeal to include other demographics besides the core target market isn’t a wedge between the races but moreso a bridge.

Exactly! I don’t get the outrage. I’m NOT saying old white guys are bad and let’s make female or minority centric themes. All I’m saying is we should look to expand the hobby with less Munsters and Iron Maidens and more themes like WOZ or Black Panther that might expand the group of folks playing. It’s not a zero sum game.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mizzou0103.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/themes-to-make-pinball-less-old-male-and-white?tu=Mizzou0103 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.