• Stranger Things 57 votes
    15%
  • Michael Jackson 22 votes
    6%
  • Boondocks 8 votes
    2%
  • Other (Add answer below) 17 votes
    4%

(Multiple choice - 393 votes by 177 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 46 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

index (resized).jpg
IMG_1482 (resized).PNG
1072full-billie-'buckwheat'-thomas (resized).jpg
a85921ec80cc0d1bebd767b5ed0b5a8364b4f277.jpg
DSC09897.JPG
DSC09896.JPG
DSC09895.JPG
DSC09893.JPG
DSC09892.JPG
DSC09883.JPG
images(18).jpg
images(20).jpg
images(19).jpg
images(6).jpg
images(4).jpg
images(16).jpg

There are 172 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 8 months ago

Explain to me how anything in my collection is old, white, misogynistic etc.
I imagine I am like many pinsiders, not enough room or money to buy all the machines that appeal to my individual tastes.

You want the hobby to continue or grow? I do.
Here are some possible avenues I will suggest you address while indulging your creativity.
1) Can you make replacement parts more readily availabile and less expensive?
2) Can you make machines more user friendly to repair and adjust?
3) Can you find ways to get the price of new machines down to a level most can afford?

We love pinball. However the machines weigh a ton, take up a lot of space, can be rather noisy and are expensive to buy and maintain

Any theme that appeals to me may not to you and vice versa.

Rant time; Leave the finger pointing millennial mentality out of the hobby.

Identity politics.....enough already.

#152 8 months ago

Why is this even a topic?...good grief. Don't we have enough division due to our current political climate (Left and Right)?..please keep the SJW stuff out of pinball.

#153 8 months ago
Quoted from Flowst:

WOZ, Circus, and Theater has a female protagonist, so that's cool, but count how many "damsel in distress" characters are in your collection - I count 6. Hey, I love those games too and would love to own them, but that's right on the surface. I'm not judging you for it though.

#154 8 months ago
Quoted from roffels:

WOZ, Circus, and Theater has a female protagonist, so that's cool, but count how many "damsel in distress" characters are in your collection - I count 6. Hey, I love those games too, but that's right on the surface. I'm not judging you for it, because hell, I'd want those games too. But I'm not blind to it either.

I think you make a good point Above.

For the sake of continued discussion....non pinball fans that visit play any and all of my games. One after the other, their games last 3-4 minutes.
Theme varies but ease of play is key to their happiness.

Least popular is Phantom (where the villain is a white male...)
Who Dunnit seems very popular with female players. Drama, murder mystery and gambling themes appeal to that demographic (characters in this game story are stereotypes)

Revenge from Mars? "This is weird, why is it so dark? Is this a video game?" Is the common opinion.

Kids love destroying the castle on MM, but honestly they just play my arcade games or skeeball machine for 10 minutes before going back to their phones and tablets.

I stayed clear of this thread for awhile, but after reading some of the replies I had a mixed feelings. Pinside wants us to leave political debate out of this. I tried but...
The whole premise of this thread wreaks of it.

Paraphrasing, the OP suggests identity politics is a label used by republicans.
Cringe worthy to read that sort of thing.

Another user says "I judge people by their individual behavior". Hallelujah.

Roffels, thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts above. You have added what I see as an objective and thoughtful response to this thread.

#155 8 months ago

asking people to vote here is like asking a bunch of 10 year olds who they like better.
ac dc, led zeplin, elvis, aerosmith or ariana grande.

the votes here do not matter. wrong target market for home and location.

home market vs location market are also 2 different things.

#156 8 months ago
Quoted from Flowst:

Certainly not Cirqus Voltaire or TOTAN. Those are about as feminine as can be. As is much of your collection.

#157 8 months ago

Make new games that don't mainly appeal to pinball's core demographic?

Gee, what a solid business idea...

#158 8 months ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Make new games that don't mainly appeal to pinball's core demographic?
Gee, what a solid business idea...

Yes, businesses market to people outside their core demographic all the time. It helps their business stay relevant.

#159 8 months ago
Quoted from roffels:

Yes, businesses market to people outside their core demographic all the time. It helps their business stay relevant.

Plus as their main audience becomes more old and feeble, and find they have other expenses like hip replacements and senior care, and don't have the extra cash to spend anymore, it helps them to actually stay in business.

#160 8 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

Plus as their main audience becomes more old and feeble, and find they have other expenses like hip replacements and senior care, and don't have the extra cash to spend anymore, it helps them to actually stay in business.

A thought came to me based on your comment. If I look to the teens of today as the future marked to replace "old and feeble", what are my son and his friends spending their cash on? The majority of it is hardcore computer gaming. I'm not savvy on marketing, but if I was designing I wouldn't be targeting the audience that isn't likely to to spend cash on pinball tech. I'd be targeting the deepest pockets of what is primarily young white males.

index (resized).jpg
#161 8 months ago

I'm going to market Pin Pants... You put them on the front legs of any machine, then pull them halfway down to show off Pin Underwear.
It instantly makes ANY any old white honkey themed machine appeal to the people pinball needs most... the big thinkers that make these intelligent fashion decisions.

Don't tell anyone, but my follow up products are a baseball hat topper that you can put on sideways and a neck tattoo for the side of the backbox.

#162 8 months ago

If they wanted to appeal to a younger generation the Stern Star Wars pro would have featured the younger heroes of the latest films, which they don't.

#163 8 months ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

If they wanted to appeal to a younger generation the Stern Star Wars pro would have featured the younger heroes of the latest films, which they don't.

Or they probably shouldn't have done another Star Wars at all.

#164 8 months ago

I am so sick of hearing of nothing but racial issues on TV that I pretty much stopped watching the news on TV.

I never thought someone on pinside would open up a thread pointing to a racial divide in the marketplace. What happened to our country being mixed race? Why do we have to put wedges between the races like this?

#165 8 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

Or they probably shouldn't have done another Star Wars at all.

best one yet by far.

#166 8 months ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

I am so sick of hearing of nothing but racial issues on TV that I pretty much stopped watching the news on TV.

I never thought someone on pinside would open up a thread pointing to a racial divide in the marketplace. What happened to our country being mixed race? Why do we have to put wedges between the races like this?

I see nothing racist about old white themes as long as all the parts for these games are made in China.

#167 8 months ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Asking what themes would have crossover appeal to include other demographics besides the core target market isn’t a wedge between the races but moreso a bridge.

#168 8 months ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Asking what themes would have crossover appeal to include other demographics besides the core target market isn’t a wedge between the races but moreso a bridge.

Exactly! I don’t get the outrage. I’m NOT saying old white guys are bad and let’s make female or minority centric themes. All I’m saying is we should look to expand the hobby with less Munsters and Iron Maidens and more themes like WOZ or Black Panther that might expand the group of folks playing. It’s not a zero sum game.

#169 8 months ago

How about non-binary, gender neutral callouts? My wife always jokes about "He shoots! He Scores!" in World Cup Soccer and NBA Fastbreak when we play against each other. I explain that it's not women's World Cup soccer or WNBA themes. And that the 90s were a different time.

"They shoot! They scored!"??

#170 8 months ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

The original post felt intentionally divisive. The success of the superhero movies prove they already appeal to every race and age as pinball themes.
The thing that doesn't appeal to every race and age is pinball. Trying to force it isn't gonna work, Stern survived by not listening to fools.

#171 8 months ago

Having alternative themes isn't going to produce a rainbow full of pinheads.

Expanding the hobby isn't that simple.

Most people, of all colours, just don't care about pinball. If people want to find it, they will. Just like all of us.

#172 8 months ago

I've never thought of Pinball as "Exclusive."

If you want to broaden the player base all you need to do is introduce it to new people. Take a friend, relative, etc. to a pinball show, barcade, invite them to play your games at home. . . if it clicks (and sometimes it wont) then you have a new person interested in the hobby. While theme can be important it is only part of the pinball experience. I know my nephews can be a little rough on the machines (they tend to be rapid fire flipper button pushers) and the buttons can be a little sticky after they play (I try not to think about the source) but they have fun playing the games and its the first thing they want to do when they come over. They usually do not care which game they play either.

My fascination and love of pinball started back when I was their age, it only makes sense that they might get hooked and carry the hobby forward. I am not up to speed with what today's youth do with their free time, but I imagine with all the at home entertainment available arcades and public places to play are not as popular as they were back in my day. Playing pinball is what gets people interested in it -- find a way to get more people to play and you'll find that it is already quite inclusive.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 239.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 224.99
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 8.99
Lighting - Other
Pappy's Pinball Palace
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 149.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 29.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
There are 172 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside