• Stranger Things 57 votes
    14%
  • Michael Jackson 22 votes
    6%
  • Boondocks 8 votes
    2%
  • Other (Add answer below) 19 votes
    5%

(Multiple choice - 396 votes by 180 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

index (resized).jpg
IMG_1482 (resized).PNG
1072full-billie-'buckwheat'-thomas (resized).jpg
a85921ec80cc0d1bebd767b5ed0b5a8364b4f277.jpg
DSC09897.JPG
DSC09896.JPG
DSC09895.JPG
DSC09893.JPG
DSC09892.JPG
DSC09883.JPG
images(18).jpg
images(20).jpg
images(19).jpg
images(6).jpg
images(4).jpg
images(16).jpg

There are 173 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Michigan is one of the most worthless states. Everything is taxed out of the wazoo, terrible roads, sucky NFL team, white trash everywhere....and for the love of GOD, can I please make a left-fucking-turn?

Yep there's a lot of those things in Michigan. Luckily I live in Ann Arbor sheltered away from it all.

#102 5 years ago

Jeez, this thread. If I wanted a semi-progressive crust over an inner core of dog whistle right-wing idiocy making itself crazy by overthinking how to market pinball machines i’d listen to the Kaneda podcast.

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from ezelljon:

Jeez, this thread. If I wanted a semi-progressive crust over an inner core of dog whistle right-wing idiocy making itself crazy by overthinking how to market pinball machines i’d listen to the Kaneda podcast.

Ok, now that was f’ing brilliant

#104 5 years ago

Eastbound and down pin.

kenny-powers (resized).pngkenny-powers (resized).png
#105 5 years ago
Quoted from ezelljon:

7990150B-784C-4C1E-A5E1-0925CBB4E2F1 (resized).jpeg7990150B-784C-4C1E-A5E1-0925CBB4E2F1 (resized).jpeg
#106 5 years ago
Quoted from DW3000:

Like anything, once people who have a nostalgic fondness for something die off, it’ll just end up as a quirky antique curiosity and all these nicely maintained and restored machines will start popping up more and more frequently at estate sales as years go by. The days of being able to buy a Twilight Zone for $1400 or less will return, but we’ll be dead.

Here’s an interesting comparison. In collector car world, I can recall see old model T’s going for insane money as an early teenager. 35 years later, those people who had the nostalgia for model T’s from their youth have now mostly passed on and those same Model T’s that went for big bucks are now on lowest end of the price range.

#107 5 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Stupidest thread of the year. Ageism, racism and sexist all in one title.

Have you read the comments though?

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Here’s an interesting comparison. In collector car world, I can recall see old model T’s going for insane money as an early teenager. 35 years later, those people who had the nostalgia for model T’s from their youth have now mostly passed on and those same Model T’s that went for big bucks are now on lowest end of the price range.

That’s it exactly.. people just see “old car”, and that’s it. That’ll still happen to an extent no matter what with pinball, like “why is this Whirlwind better than that Bad Cats, really? They’re both Old Pinball Machines” or something.. or like your grandkids or great grandkids buying you Aqua’s “Barbie Girl” decades from now because it was ‘probably on the radio when you were young’..

But if they don’t even have any idea wtf pinball really is, it’ll just be bulky, curious, ever-more-worthless junk. Less chance of that being so complete if the game evolves somehow to catch their interest. Like, people are still “car people” and they’d still go for a beautiful model T even if they’re 30 year olds... just wouldn’t pay the premium a person who experienced it first hand would.

I’m not sure if it did happen already or is on the verge of happening (since I’m not plugged into that scene), but I’d thought old vintage jukeboxes had kinda the same thing happening. Prices went up and up, then pretty much everyone who wanted one had one.. and then now those people are dying and they don’t really mean anything to the majority of the next generation that lacks the fond memories.

Damn.. morbid. Well hopefully I live long enough to get a big collection for peanuts

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Saw this rethemed "Millionaire" last month. It had Donald Trump voiced callouts and taunts. Pop bumbers say "fake news" every time they are activated, lol

That's brilliant. I want to play that.

#110 5 years ago

Grand Theft Auto - it’s a big franchise that was pretty popular

The Fast and Furious movies

Superjail- wait, maybe not.....

#111 5 years ago
Quoted from DW3000:

Why does this need to become some racially or generationally divisive thing..? We’re asking the wrong questions.. if no work goes towards cultivating wider availability/coolness/familiarity with pinball, it’ll die with its current audience.

Thats inevitable, pinball is on borrowed time as those of us who grew up with it are now in a position where we can actually buy these games but it dies with us. Virtual pinball might continue I could see that, 6 to 12K for NIB. Nope

#112 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Thats inevitable, pinball is on borrowed time as those of us who grew up with it are now in a position where we can actually buy these games but it dies with us. Virtual pinball might continue I could see that, 6 to 12K for NIB. Nope

I disagree. I grew up playing arcade games. Rarely, if ever played pinball as a kid. I collected arcades for a while, based on nostalgia, but that didn’t last.

Pinball has much more lasting appeal, and I’ve enjoyed the competition and community aspects of pinball. My pinball experience is happening NOW, it’s not something based on nostalgia.

#113 5 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I disagree. I grew up playing arcade games.

Same here, well at least as a little kid then pinball came into in my later teens and I never even considered buying one till 2009 or so. It has a while to go before it dies but in my opinion it will die. Hey I hope not.

#114 5 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

Have you read the comments though?

Yeah, I have. Doesn't change the fact that the title is poorly worded. If you Change pretty much any of those adjectives in the title, the PC police will be all over you.
Obviously that wouldn't make sense given the demographic of pinball, but I think you know what I mean.

#115 5 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Yeah, I have. Doesn't change the fact that the title is poorly worded. If you Change pretty much any of those adjectives in the title, the PC police will be all over you.
Obviously that wouldn't make sense given the demographic of pinball, but I think you know what I mean.

Agreed. My thread title totally stunk. I should have changed it earlier. I still stand by the post though. I think WOZ and TNA are good starts to expand the base. Just wish there were more of those out on location.

#116 5 years ago

Honestly, we might need more sports related pins. If Stern is as big in Europe as Gary claims, a new bad ass soccer pin would be awesome. I think we could use another baseball pin in the U.S. I feel pinball and baseball are perfect together and there are so many cool things you could do with the theme.

#117 5 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

Agreed. My thread title totally stunk. I should have changed it earlier. I still stand by the post though. I think WOZ and TNA are good starts to expand the base. Just wish there were more of those out on location.

I understand your premise behind this thread. The idea of attracting all walks of life to pinball is appealing to the pinball community, or at least to Pinside. I just felt there's better ways to say it without being insulting to the pinball "base".

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Honestly, we might need more sports related pins. If Stern is as big in Europe as Gary claims, a new bad ass soccer pin would be awesome. I think we could use another baseball pin in the U.S. I feel pinball and baseball are perfect together and there are so many cool things you could do with the theme.

I agree with you here. If they made a decent soccer "football as I and my friends in the UK like to call it" pin, and were able to sell it with different art and display graphics representing the most popular football clubs in the world, like Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Barcelona, etc., it seems like they'd make a killing selling these pins left and right. I guess first they'd have to be able to affordably license the teams logos and such, but based on all the trinkets, clothes, and such that I see bearing these teams logos, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard.

This is the same with baseball. Baseball involves a bat and a ball and pinball involves flipper bats and balls, and it seems like someone would be able to develop a fun modern baseball themed pinball machine (not a pitch and bat) that could be done up with art and graphics for all kinds of pro, and even minor league teams (sign me up for a Toledo Mud Hens pin!). Frank Thomas's Big Hurt pinball was kinda close to hitting the mark, but I think it missed a little.

#119 5 years ago

Looks like someone was thinking along these same lines a few decades ago.
Here it is, not white, not old, not male.
Somehow Im not sure it would go over that well today.

65B9BE28-4859-41F0-B3D9-7412D7E07A86 (resized).jpeg65B9BE28-4859-41F0-B3D9-7412D7E07A86 (resized).jpeg
#120 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Honestly, we might need more sports related pins.

No, sports related pins have been done to death just like rock personality pins. I tried to search IPDB by theme to give you a list of all the sports pins and it returned "TOO MANY records matched".

#121 5 years ago

There are 'too many records matched' because the database includes pitch and bats.

#122 5 years ago

Was just thinking... this is a theme that has just about something for everyone.
I know that I, for one, would love to see an Oceans Eleven- themed pin. I can imagine the different modes now...

images(12).jpgimages(12).jpgimages(13).jpgimages(13).jpgimages(14).jpgimages(14).jpgimages(16).jpgimages(16).jpgimages(18).jpgimages(18).jpgimages(19).jpgimages(19).jpgimages(2).jpgimages(2).jpgimages(20).jpgimages(20).jpgimages(3).jpgimages(3).jpgimages(4).jpgimages(4).jpgimages(5).jpgimages(5).jpgimages(6).jpgimages(6).jpg
#123 5 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

I know that I, for one, would love to see an Oceans Eleven- themed pin.

That's fine but can you imagine this site when we start pumping up the rumors that it's actually Oceans 8?!?
Meltdown

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Saw this rethemed "Millionaire" last month. It had Donald Trump voiced callouts and taunts. Pop bumbers say "fake news" every time they are activated, lol

Is there a video of this somewhere online? I have GOT to see this!

#125 5 years ago
Quoted from rennervision:

I should have taken a video but didn't.

#126 5 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Was just thinking... this is a theme that has just about something for everyone.
I know that I, for one, would love to see an Oceans Eleven- themed pin. I can imagine the different modes now...

That actually does have a lot of potential for a theme. It would be a tough go of it for programmers, imo. Because if you want to capture the essence of that movie in a pin, it will need to be very intricate.

#127 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

That's fine but can you imagine this site when we start pumping up the rumors that it's actually Oceans 8?!?
Meltdown

Ha! Yeah, I think we're gonna need 11 to get the crime done

Quoted from Honch:

That actually does have a lot of potential for a theme. It would be a tough go of it for programmers, imo. Because if you want to capture the essence of that movie in a pin, it will need to be very intricate.

Agree. With these mode-based games in full spin, there's alot of potential with this theme. Modes, shot combos, call-outs, etc... agree, would have to be done well / well integrated. But man, what a fun game that could be.

#128 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

That's brilliant. I want to play that.

Quoted from rennervision:

A few more photos

DSC09883.JPGDSC09883.JPGDSC09892.JPGDSC09892.JPGDSC09893.JPGDSC09893.JPGDSC09895.JPGDSC09895.JPGDSC09896.JPGDSC09896.JPGDSC09897.JPGDSC09897.JPG

a85921ec80cc0d1bebd767b5ed0b5a8364b4f277.jpga85921ec80cc0d1bebd767b5ed0b5a8364b4f277.jpg
#129 5 years ago

Does anyone out there feel good about the state of pinball?
I do.... here’s a few.
- So many new manufacturers, maybe more now than ever?
- Pinball shows are strong and growing in numbers in so many cities.
- Wide demographic at shows. Probably wider than any other activity I can think of off the top.
Young people, old people, loners, groups, family, tons of kids, handicapped, women, other countries, homosexual,
heavy rockers, people of color, and anybody else you can think of. What other hobby is that broad?
- Pinball machine prices are high. That means there IS demand. That is NOT all bad for strength of the hobby.
- Internet is connecting and developing new relationships making our group grow.
- Think of the advances in getting your machine fixed. So many people into repair or do it yourself.
- How many leagues and tournaments are there? I’d bet more than EVER.
Please add any other positive things we have going before the smarta@$ try to piss on a positive vibe.
Flip on all.

#130 5 years ago

Okay, I'll bite.. at the risk of my own ignorance...how on earth is Alice in Wonderland anything but old and white? :p

#131 5 years ago

So this thread is about making pins more black, Hispanic, younger and minority driven?

Identity sales just don’t work

#132 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

A few more photos

I am just dying laughing at this.

I'm running out of space in my basement so lately I've been negotiating with my wife to purchase pins for a room upstairs. To my surprise she's been very agreeable to pins I thought she would refuse to let in the house - AC/DC Luci and Whoa Nellie. She HATES Trump, so now I'm going to show her these photos and see if this is the pin that finally makes her put her foot down.

#133 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So this thread is about making pins more black, Hispanic, younger and minority driven?

“Would any of these themes have any crossover ability to the current pinball buyer, while potentially expanding into new markets. Pick as many as you’d actually consider.”

That’s The very first post from the OP. To me it sounds like he’s saying what would appeal to a broader audience beyond the core target demographic while still including them.

#134 5 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

“Would any of these themes have any crossover ability to the current pinball buyer, while potentially expanding into new markets. Pick as many as you’d actually consider.”
That’s The very first post from the OP. To me it sounds like he’s saying what would appeal to a broader audience beyond the core target demographic while still including them.

Hmmm, from Cali, doesn't surprise me.

I don't think about pinball machines as more white, less white, black, hispanic or otherwise.

But I get it.

#135 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

More female as well. The whole point of the thread was to find ways to expand the hobby beyond folks nostalgic for AC/DC, Iron Maiden, The Munsters, etc.

I really don’t get this “identity politics” label. It really seems like the label republicans use to put down things that don’t cater to their world view. It comes across as super self-centered.

#136 5 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

More female as well. The whole point of the thread was to find ways to expand the hobby beyond folks nostalgic for AC/DC, Iron Maiden, The Munsters, etc.
I really don’t get this “identity politics” label. It really seems like the label republicans use to put down things that don’t cater to their world view. It comes across as super self-centered.

Make a pinball machine however they want to make it and let us decide if we want to buy it. I'm pretty sure that's how it will always go.

You want to focus on stuff that doesn't matter then knock yourself out.

#137 5 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

The irony of this statement is that you use the label of "republican" to paint everyone who doesn't agree with you with the same brush.

#138 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Hmmm, from Cali, doesn't surprise me.
I don't think about pinball machines as more white, less white, black, hispanic or otherwise.
But I get it.

Not sure if you get it.

I won’t make assumptions about you based on Texas, I don’t like to prejudge people based on something as arbitrary as a location, plus I’ve met lots of open minded people from there.

#139 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

The irony of this statement is that you use the label of "republican" to paint everyone who doesn't agree with you with the same brush.

I couldn’t think of a better term. Identity politics is a term that gets tossed around (at least in the US) a lot lately. In my experience it’s used by people that identify as part of the republican base. If he’s not part of that group, I’m sorry.

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

The last thing that I think about when I am playing or working on pinball machines, is the color of a person's skin. Actually the only time that I think about it, is when someone who thinks color should not be an issue, makes an issue about it. Like this thread. I wish that people would F*ck off with this stupid shit already. I do not care about black or white, gay or straight, rich or poor, etc etc etc. Thanks to the OP for reminding me that some people do. Glad that don't focus on things like that.

Agreed! Always One in every bunch!!

#141 5 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

I couldn’t think of a better term. Identity politics is a term that gets tossed around (at least in the US) a lot lately. In my experience it’s used by people that identify as part of the republican base. If he’s not part of that group, I’m sorry.

In my experience its used by the "liberal elites" to divide people along racial lines. I don't play that BS.

Don't care, and you started this ridiculous thread. There is a good reason why you generated a massive amount of downvotes. Get it?

#142 5 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Not sure if you get it.
I won’t make assumptions about you based on Texas, I don’t like to prejudge people based on something as arbitrary as a location, plus I’ve met lots of open minded people from there.

I def "get it". I judge people on what they say and how they act. Nothing pre judge about it.

#143 5 years ago

It's simple make pins more available and more affordable and all walks of life will come. Old white guys are the only people crazy enough to spend this type of money and use up as much space as pins take up right now. I have a friend that's black and female but shouldn't matter but since we have to put everyone in a box. And she likes playing my pins because it's pinball and nothing more. One day maybe she won't play like a seal with the flippers. Diversity will come in time with more location pins and more affordable prices. When I was young only the tuff kids played pinball and I can't believe they all grew up to be the nerds you see at pinball shows. No offense to anyone I'm nerdy and proud myself.

#144 5 years ago

Black dynamite

Beastie boys

#145 5 years ago

Less old male and white?

Buckwheat!!
1072full-billie-'buckwheat'-thomas (resized).jpg1072full-billie-'buckwheat'-thomas (resized).jpg

#146 5 years ago

Pinball is otay.

#147 5 years ago

Pinball is to white and old for you......then

IMG_1482 (resized).PNGIMG_1482 (resized).PNG
#148 5 years ago

FYI the people that come to my house don't run and just play my Harlem Globetrotters. So I really don't think it's an identification thing, but what's the shiniest and most fun looking pin. I on the other hand know how great HG is and I run to play.

#149 5 years ago

I'm not sure what themes should be explored, but it would be cool if there was more diversity among designers to let them share their vision, and hopefully bring new ideas to the table.

#150 5 years ago

I’ve spent most of my life as “one of the few women interested in...”. It’s a really weird dynamic for me, bc most of the time I’m in this position bc I can’t stand the expectations of what women are supposed to be interested in. Following the other thread about “manly” themes, I was loving a lot of the suggestions.

The weird part though is that there is still a part of me that like sparkly frilly things. And I sometimes get bored senseless looking at backglass after backglass where it’s just a bunch of scantily clad women. So I’d love to see things like Black Panther (Go Shuri!), Muppets or MLP, Beastie Boys, etc. More choice would be amazing! And lots more color and fun—of the recent releases, I adore the styles of Aerosmith, GoTG, and Ghostbusters bc of how much color there is on them. TNA is awesome too bc it uses lighting in a really eye catching way.

The challenge is that I’m not one of the hard core pin collectors. So regardless of my opinion, I will maybe at best account for one sale every few years, if that. It would take a lot of “me”s to make it a path worth pursuing.

There are 173 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/themes-to-make-pinball-less-old-male-and-white/page/3?hl=tbachli and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.