• Stranger Things 57 votes
    14%
  • Michael Jackson 22 votes
    6%
  • Boondocks 8 votes
    2%
  • Other (Add answer below) 19 votes
    5%

(Multiple choice - 396 votes by 180 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

index (resized).jpg
IMG_1482 (resized).PNG
1072full-billie-'buckwheat'-thomas (resized).jpg
a85921ec80cc0d1bebd767b5ed0b5a8364b4f277.jpg
DSC09897.JPG
DSC09896.JPG
DSC09895.JPG
DSC09893.JPG
DSC09892.JPG
DSC09883.JPG
images(18).jpg
images(20).jpg
images(19).jpg
images(6).jpg
images(4).jpg
images(16).jpg
There are 173 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Really? WTF is this, white guilt? Thread title sucks.
BUT, a Black Panther or M.J. pin would be cool.

I agree. Shit title. Offensive. Keep that crap off Pinside.

#52 5 years ago

MILO
he isn't old and he is a very colourful character . even has a black husband. Would this count?
Some fantastic call outs too!

Milo-yiannopoulos-Nimble-America (resized).jpgMilo-yiannopoulos-Nimble-America (resized).jpg

#53 5 years ago

Don’t know about a theme, but I’m fairly young, male, and generally confused these days.

I seriously question this threads true intent.
70A318D5-32EA-4797-8DF3-1DE7CE06265F (resized).jpeg70A318D5-32EA-4797-8DF3-1DE7CE06265F (resized).jpeg

#54 5 years ago

G7

13223788 (resized).jpg13223788 (resized).jpg
#55 5 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Deadpool
Fallout

Oh, I'd pre-order that one!

#56 5 years ago

I like the thinking on this one, if not a bit off-putting and it is one of my bigger complaints with pinball. I'm not going SJW, wanting diversity for diversity's sake, its not even using the idea of white privilege. My beef is the rock pins (regardless of how good the layout is). It is obvious the laser-like focus of the demographic some manufacters are going for. It is repetitive and stagnant. Where is the originality with themes? I can name one Metallica song. (Thanks to vh1's pop up video). I can't name an Iron Maden song to save my life. AC/DC fun enough but that was to make up for the Rolling Stones abortion. It just seems that, to use a radio term "tight is right" is making the market boring and bland. There was a thread asking for megadeath, whats next Merle Haggard? If these themes are what is needed for manufactures to stay in business then so be it. If folks like the themes and their games, more power to you (again it is not about making anyone feel guilty). It just feels like the themes are too narrow. DI is the last game I can remember that was remotely original.

#57 5 years ago

Alita Battle Angel!

44A051B3-099A-429D-84A6-EDE95C2BC32D (resized).png44A051B3-099A-429D-84A6-EDE95C2BC32D (resized).png

#58 5 years ago

Only in this day and age do we worry about stuff like this. I’ve never not seen a movie or played a game because I felt like the characters didn’t look like me or I felt un-represented ...

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from Waldo:

Only in this day and age do we worry about stuff like this. I’ve never not seen a movie or played a game because I felt like the characters didn’t look like me or I felt un-represented ...

Totally agree, and what an incredible racist thread this is. Imagine if you were to this same shit on an NBA forum. Tell them they need less black people and you think that Asians (or insert your favorite race) are under represented. See how well that works out for you.

Please don't let this forum turn into a social justice warrior propaganda BS site. That shit is doing nothing but dividing our country. Everyone has to be represented and placed in a category. How about we all just act like were are all American's?

There are plenty of pinball themes that already have black characters prominent in the design.

Why do you assume that certain ethnic groups have such low self esteems that they must have representation in every aspect of their day to day lives?

#60 5 years ago

Take this stupid Ghetto crap out of here!! Along with your "Rap" thread!!

#61 5 years ago

Uh, wow.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

True, True. I haven't seen Black Panther, I heard it did very well. Would a Black Panther pin lead to more sales from African Americans? Maybe, I dont know. Heres a straightforward question which Ive pondered in the past. How many pinside users here are not middle aged white dudes? Lets hear it from any Black, Hispanic, Asian, female, or any other non white male members.

We exist. Though it has never occurred to me to purchase a pin based on an ethnic theme.

#63 5 years ago

Jersey Shore, MTV Bully Beatdown, Real Housewives, Cake Boss, or Say Yes to the Dress are all less old white man.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

MILO
he isn't old and he is a very colourful character . even has a black husband. Would this count?
Some fantastic call outs too!

Only Trudeau could make this one as well. That guy has zero redeeming qualities.

#65 5 years ago

I was actually impressed with the diversity I saw at SFGE this past weekend. I've played the Irom Maiden pin a number of times and still couldn't name, sing, or hum any of their songs, but I really enjoy playing the pin. If that theme is what made that pin possible, then so be it.

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Only Trudeau could make this one as well. That guy has zero redeeming qualities.

Well, he has kept Tiger Beat in business...

#67 5 years ago

The last thing that I think about when I am playing or working on pinball machines, is the color of a person's skin. Actually the only time that I think about it, is when someone who thinks color should not be an issue, makes an issue about it. Like this thread. I wish that people would F*ck off with this stupid shit already. I do not care about black or white, gay or straight, rich or poor, etc etc etc. Thanks to the OP for reminding me that some people do. Glad that don't focus on things like that.

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

I could be down with a 1960's-70's Motown-themed pin with tracks from the Isley Bros and MJ, Stevie Wonder, the Four seasons, Diana Ross and the Supremes and Smoky Robinson.

Okay, but better replace the Four Seasons with the Four Tops if it's to be all Motown.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

better replace the Four Seasons

What's so old and white about these guys?

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#70 5 years ago

I think what this thread should be asking, in a less tone-deaf and clunky way, is:

“What are some themes and ideas that might appeal to a wider audience or a new generation to bring younger people into pinball before the currently targeted demographic ages out of pinball and/or ages out of being alive?”

I think one that I saw might be valid, like Rick and Morty - in terms of maybe breathing some life into location-play. Sure, that demo isn’t buying home-use pins, but neither was I at their age. But as soon as I could, I did. That fan base is fanatical. You see that whole thing with the McDonald’s Szechuan Sauce? Google that. Could help go a step toward pins on location in some form.

Trailer Park Boys, that might do well.. I don’t like the show much, but I’d understand that’s trying to cast a wider net. If it was made to be fun/funny it would get play at bars and pubs from non-pinheads.

Some manufacturer needs to not play it safe - the discussion shouldn’t be, “how can we keep our current home use demo liking the games we put out that they’ll buy anyways,” but rather, “now that pinball is back from the brink of extinction, how can we start to expand it’s appeal again in different ways by maybe taking some chances?”

Dialed In seems like a step in that direction somewhat - it’s something different and tryin some new things! Whether it has an impact, who knows, but some things I see coming out seem like manufacturers playing it very very safe.. a couple risks might be needed to extend pinball for the future, rather than lazily playing it safe and same.

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from DW3000:

“What are some themes and ideas that might appeal to a wider audience or a new generation to bring younger people into pinball before the currently targeted demographic ages out of pinball and/or ages out of being alive?”

That really doesn't matter does it?

Who really cares what is there for the next generation when it is the me generation that is fueling pinball now and most of them only want something that reminds them of their youth and not what appeals to anybody else?

#72 5 years ago

Donald Trump: The Pin

#73 5 years ago

Couldn't you just pour a bunch of black paint over your machine and call it good.

#74 5 years ago

I think we need to realize just because a conversation is about inclusiveness of non old white dudes, doesn’t mean that it’s trying to exclude old white dudes. The topic isn't "what themes will white people hate and how can we be sure they aren't allowed to play them.” Think outside the box for once.

I think a Wonder Woman pin would be amazing. Black Panther also would be cool. I don't think either are specifically for women only or black people only, but they may have a broader reach than say Aerosmith does while still appealing to the core demographic that no one is debating drives the market.

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

I personally dont know any young black, Hispanic, or Asian dudes or many women that are into pinball.

50% of my league is women, and 90% of it is under 40. You probably don't know any because you just hang out with your own demographic. Doesn't mean they aren't out there.

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

50% of my league is women, and 90% of it is under 40. You probably don't know any because you just hang out with your own demographic. Doesn't mean they aren't out there.

Likewise, your league is not necessarily the norm.

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Likewise, your league is not necessarily the norm.

God I'd hate to see the norm in Indy...i had no idea until a couple years ago it's basically Alabama down there.

#78 5 years ago

Jimi Hendrix

#79 5 years ago

What *might* appeal to a younger demo: re-theme Dialed-In as "The Kardashians" and remove the flippers, the ramps and the ball and just have the phone and some call-outs from Kim and Kanye and if you text quick enough, it spits out tickets you can redeem for garbage.

#80 5 years ago

I've started another thread for those that think pinball is now not manly enough.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/themes-to-make-pinball-less-feminine

#81 5 years ago

Why do I never see something like this:

The NBA is too tall and too black. How can we adapt the game and change it for short white guys to have more roster spots?

#83 5 years ago

80's rap or a dedicated Revenge of the Sith pin but not interested in anything else. When old white men are ur primary market what exactly is the point as it will never happen anyway. Oh did I mention I would really love a Slayer pin? lets go Stern take ur time and hurry up.

5f236c64811a833e2e44304294451916 (resized).jpg5f236c64811a833e2e44304294451916 (resized).jpg
#84 5 years ago

We need a Parrot Head Machine!! Signed, Old White Guy. Take my money, please.

#85 5 years ago

I think we need to realize just because a conversation is about inclusiveness of non old white dudes, doesn’t mean that it’s trying to exclude old white dudes. The topic isn't "what themes will white people hate and how can we be sure they aren't allowed to play them.” Think outside the box for once.
I think a Wonder Woman pin would be amazing. Black Panther also would be cool. I don't think either are specifically for women only or black people only, but they may have a broader reach than say Aerosmith does while still appealing to the core demographic that no one is debating drives the market.

"Inclusiveness" and "non old white dudes" in the same sentence will put people on the defensive EVERY time.

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from Tbachli:

"Inclusiveness" and "non old white dudes" in the same sentence will put people on the defensive EVERY time.

That’s your baggage.

#87 5 years ago

Why does this need to become some racially or generationally divisive thing..? We’re asking the wrong questions.. if no work goes towards cultivating wider availability/coolness/familiarity with pinball, it’ll die with its current audience.

Like anything, once people who have a nostalgic fondness for something die off, it’ll just end up as a quirky antique curiosity and all these nicely maintained and restored machines will start popping up more and more frequently at estate sales as years go by. The days of being able to buy a Twilight Zone for $1400 or less will return, but we’ll be dead.

Now that there are multiple manufacturers, it’s not like there even has to be everybody on-board with every pin/theme/etc. Would I buy a Jimmy Buffett pin? No. And I’m over 40, but not my cup of tea.. Do I care if they make one? No, same as it didn’t affect me when, say, Popeye came out. If people might buy it, build it. I’d drop some cash in it if I saw it out somewhere and who knows, if the game is fun besides just being “Generic Pinball Game with Clip Art and Music of [INSERT ARTIST]” maybe I’d pick it up! Beastie Boys or Snoop or whatever? Same thing, if it’s fun and not some lazy cash-in, it’s got a chance - especially if there’s innovation somewhere in there.

Theme-wise, I can say that I never gave two shits for, say, Creature From the Black Lagoon.. but it’s fun!

I’m not saying there needs to be drastic changes, but things have gotten very heavily reliant on what picture is on a backbox and which clip-art is on the playfield.. that’s Stern’s business plan, and it’s currently working for them. For how long? If I were Stern, I’d be very aware of the age of my demographic because that’ll dictate how long I’m in business.

Pinball DID come back from the brink of death because of Stern’s strategy, though — but they or one of the other players now need to see a way to make it more widespread or known without alienating the current core demographic. It won’t ever be what it was, but I see more machines in more random places now than I have at any other point in the past 15 or so years. One of the companies can build on that and do something with it once they figure out how or what that thing is. And that thing won’t just be a backbox with [MOVIE] or [BAND] on it, because we’re already where that gets us.

How do you get a 20 year old college student into pinball? I don’t know. You don’t know either. You and I are too old to know that answer. You’re out of touch and so am I. But someone might know the answer and you might hate it. But if they figure it out, pinball stays around that much longer and maybe even lives on somehow. Hopefully even in some form you enjoy..!

The smaller you make the world of pinball fandom, the quicker it’s dead.

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I’d buy a SHAFT pin. He was a bad M fer

Watch yo mouth

#89 5 years ago

If Stern were to re-theme their Playboy machine as Rupaul's Drag Race, I'd seriously consider buying one.

#90 5 years ago

Like here’s something. That camera in Dialed In.. something along those lines could be used on a future machine to live-stream on Twitch, especially since the machine pairs with your phone. That could be one small part of prolonging pinball. It won’t be a “theme” that does something interesting to the future of pinball, it’ll be a “something”.

#91 5 years ago

That’s your baggage.

See? Another old white dude

#92 5 years ago

If virtual pinball gets better, I wouldn't be surprised if creation of new pinball moves on to there. A wider pool of talent from a bunch of (young!) enthusiasts willing to put in hobby time, without the limitations of accessibility, and with improved physics would be a boon. VP9, which I play with a lot, is still very clunky with regards to physics, but if they were to get it even just ("just") to Pinball Arcade levels I'd be extremely happy.

#93 5 years ago

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Donald Trump: The Pin

Saw this rethemed "Millionaire" last month. It had Donald Trump voiced callouts and taunts. Pop bumbers say "fake news" every time they are activated, lol

1e3aa037218038038ffbb60ded1441ebf2c7704c.jpg1e3aa037218038038ffbb60ded1441ebf2c7704c.jpg36b5c6f7ca7d249ad5c448449b0be9233b3dda1c.jpg36b5c6f7ca7d249ad5c448449b0be9233b3dda1c.jpga43ce290d9a5789f78cb4644d8c3eb06a3f80632.jpga43ce290d9a5789f78cb4644d8c3eb06a3f80632.jpgc5358dd65a2dab83ad5a6c7dd0b15449fd35e2ca.jpgc5358dd65a2dab83ad5a6c7dd0b15449fd35e2ca.jpgcdf9c9355b32467d7f68ad45d80eb340ac4c5d50.jpgcdf9c9355b32467d7f68ad45d80eb340ac4c5d50.jpg
#95 5 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Watch yo mouth

But I'm talkin bout Shaft

#96 5 years ago

I'm going to let you guys in on a little secret.

Pinball hasn't been man oriented in quite a while. It's just an illusion. Don't tell anybody though. It might spoil their fun.

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

God I'd hate to see the norm in Indy...i had no idea until a couple years ago it's basically Alabama down there.

Michigan is one of the most worthless states. Everything is taxed out of the wazoo, terrible roads, sucky NFL team, white trash everywhere....and for the love of GOD, can I please make a left-fucking-turn?

#98 5 years ago

I can't wait to have a "black" pinball section in my game room to compliment all my white pins

#99 5 years ago

Stupidest thread of the year. Ageism, racism and sexist all in one title.

#100 5 years ago

I think DBZ or Pokemon would be appealing franchises that tap into much more diverse and younger fandoms than, say, Aerosmith, and these would be age groups that are starting to do things like buy homes, get real jobs, etc.

Black Panther could be a really great pin in terms of art design and theming, but Stern would do it so it would be cheap and crappy. Can’t trust a company that releases one good game every 15 games.

If you care about pinballs future you should be thinking about location pinball and therefore you should all be terrified that Ghostbusters is the most popular location pin. Kids put a buck in one of these and decide pinball is a shitty ripoff for the rest of their lives.

There are 173 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/themes-to-make-pinball-less-old-male-and-white/page/2?hl=sinistarrett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.