(Topic ID: 138367)

POLL: Theme vs. Gameplay on $5k+ Games

By winteriscoming

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“POLL: Theme vs. Gameplay on $5k+ Games”

• Theme: Theme is most important and has to be well-integrated. 5 votes
      7%
    • Gameplay: The gameplay is the most important. You don't play the theme. 19 votes
      28%
    • Theme and Gameplay: I won't compromise on either! 44 votes
      65%

(68 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider winteriscoming.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I'm curious what others think about theme vs gameplay when shelling out $5K+ for a game.

I think I care more about a well-integrated theme that I'm excited about than gameplay.

Am I in the minority?

I didn't see any relatively recent threads asking this question. Sorry if one exists.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

If you want a great theme and nothing else you can get a Data East game.

I'm sure many pinheads would look at my collection and assume I'm more interested in theme than gameplay, but I actually enjoy all of my games.

Quoted from DefaultGen:

The only reason for a game to cost $5k+ is that it has both

I agree, but I think I'm easier to please in the gameplay department than most, so I don't worry about it as much, I guess.

#5 8 years ago

Not sure if you're serious but...

Quoted from tamoore:

Baywatch is a great game.

I actually like that theme! I remember watching Baywatch sometimes as a kid...

Quoted from tamoore:

Elvira and the Party Monsters is not.

Definitely not a theme I care about. I'm too young, I guess.

So for me Baywatch is better than EATPM.

For completely different reasons, our outcome is the same!

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

"I won't shell out over 5k for a game"

For the record, I never have, but it doesn't mean I won't. I guess the question was more under the assumption that you were going to, what's most important.

While I voted for theme alone, I tend to agree more with those who say both. Sure I can pay way less and relax a little on one or the other. I doubt I'd buy a game at all if I didn't think it was much fun to play. I sure wouldn't spend 5K+ on a game I didn't think was fun.

#21 8 years ago

I'm surprised at the poll results. I find it hard to believe, but I guess that there are people who are willing to spend more than 5K on a game where they think the gameplay is more important than theme.

So any theme can come out as long as it's a super fun game, and you'll buy it?

Theme also has an audio component to it. I couldn't imagine wanting a game with super annoying callouts from a theme I didn't care for. In some ways you do play the theme. If you suggest that the sound could just be turned off, why pay so much for a fun, but dull theme?

Seems like money could be invested in a custom pin that copies the fun layout and rules and you could theme it to whatever you want... or spend less, copy the layout and leave it a whitewood if you truly don't care about theme.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider winteriscoming.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theme-vs-gameplay-on-5k-games?tu=winteriscoming and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.