20190903_125024 (resized).jpg
20190903_124900 (resized).jpg
20190903_124904 (resized).jpg
20190901_112635 (resized).jpg
20190901_112502 (resized).jpg
20190831_221124 (resized).jpg
20190901_091329 (resized).jpg
20190901_091405 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nickbuol.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I ordered all new ramps from starship fantasy, I have heard great things about them and wanted to give them a try...they come with all flaps rivited on and the decals...
https://starship-fantasy.com/ramps/Theatre-of-Magic-Ramp-Set
[quoted image]
The old ramps are in good condition with just some minor cracking around the mount holes, I will clean them up and put them on ebay...same story with the playfield plastics... they are really in good shape, I only see one small chip but at this point I might as well get the whole set

You could get the flaps brass plated as well since you are doing everything else. Looks good and works well. I was concerned that it would add too much thickness, but it plays smooth.

1 week later
#40 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I usually break even on these restorations as long as I consider my labor free....if I paid myself $8 an hour then Im in the red...although this may be the first game I restore that will probably be worth less than I have in it just on parts alone...
Anybody who is waiting for CGC to announce TOM as their next remake, it will probably happen just as this project wraps up and goes up for sale...driving down the value even more....
#laboroflove

You'd be surprised at how many people (at least claim to) find the originals more desirable than the remakes... Finding one of them with $$$ and ready to buy could be the next challenge though.

1 week later
3 weeks later
#62 5 years ago
Quoted from 2pupPinz:

Very cool! I recently watched an old video done by Bryan Kelly with a slightly different technique. Good to know if I ever try it! Thanks for posting that.

Yeah, I knew of the Bryan Kelly method too. Start with the flatter black, and build up the texture with the glossier spatter...

My concern with the method currently being done in this thread is that what do you cover the texture with in the end that doesn't then take away from the flat with glossy splatter texture effect where the glossy looks shiny over the flatter base coat...

Here is the video that I used years ago when I did my Theatre of Magic coin door.

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Like these?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I have never seen the Bryan Kelly method, maybe next time I will give it a try...

Those images are pretty small and don't enlarge well, but they look good. Not sure how you are getting the mix of flat and gloss if you are texturing first and then covering later, but if you are getting good results, that is all that matter.

1 month later
#70 5 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Those colors are much different than your original playfield. I can't even read the text in the blue area (under the flipper area). Not a big fan of the color choices on this repro playfield.

There were 2 original Theatre of Magic playfield manufacturers. One had colors more like the general world considers to be best/most correct (TAG or Thomas A Grant playfield), and the other is more purple, had moire issues in the middle of the playfield with the gradient dots (might actually be a Micro printing issue), and the lettering was fuzzier (Sun Process playfield).

I went around and around with Mirco on this and he basically just said that the only film that he could get was the less desirable one (at first he didn't even know that it wasn't the "right" one so to speak).

To the casual player it will still look amazing.

Here is a link to HSA Pinball's site where it shows the difference between the two...

http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/hsa072914tomdiff.html

Again, as the only option for reproduction TOM playfields, it still will be very nice. As a purist, if I was doing it on mine, I would send my playfield away to be touched up and any repairs made to keep the TAG version. Of course I am totally scared about doing so as it takes many months, and even with all of the photos and videos in the world, I feel like I would forget how to put it back together. LOL Plus my wife won't let me spend $1000 on the playfield that she says only has 1 flaw with it... Oh well. This isn't about what I would do, this is about what cosmokramer is doing and how gorgeous his TOM will be in the end.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-club/page/46#post-4130873
This is a link to my comments on the Mirco playfield last year when I got it....basically its not what I would prefer but it is whats available....im not a purist, just want the game to look "new" rather than "original"

Like I said, yours will still look beautiful and most people won't know the difference. It is still a reproduction of a real TOM playfield.

4 months later
#282 4 years ago

Any thoughts on brass plating the ramp flaps? I did the ramp flaps too and it looks really nice. Brings some of the brass to the middle of the playfield instead of being a bit heavy on the right side (not that it looks bad by any means).

1 week later
#306 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Thread title has been changed to better reflect where this project is....

Bravo!

1 month later
#310 4 years ago

Oh wow. I didn't even catch the wrong shooter rod. I have my original in a box of parts (have a "gold" replacement on mine). The swirly grey colors should have stuck out as missing in your photos. I guess I was busy looking at all of the awesome work that you did.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
Wanted
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nickbuol.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-tragicrebuilding-a-classic?tu=nickbuol and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.