20190903_125024 (resized).jpg
20190903_124900 (resized).jpg
20190903_124904 (resized).jpg
20190901_112635 (resized).jpg
20190901_112502 (resized).jpg
20190831_221124 (resized).jpg
20190901_091329 (resized).jpg
20190901_091405 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryhoudini.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

I had so much fun playing this game at a bar in Houston. It is at the top of my list for my second pin.
[quoted image]

Did that happen to be Einsteins?

#99 4 years ago

Are you doing anything special to the Mirco playfield before installing? Does it need any clear coating? Holes drilled?

#100 4 years ago

Are you using the ultrasonic cleaner to clean all the metal posts and wires and such? I am considering if I am going to try and bend all new wires, get all new screws and nuts, etc. or invest in some sort of cleaner/tumbler.

#101 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Thanks, If Im not satisfied with my own repros I will take a look.

How did you make repros?

#102 4 years ago

Well... now you have me reconsidering my whole situation. One ramp broke... I ordered new ramps, bit the bullet, after my repair didn't hold. While I was removing the ramps I figured I'd do titan rubbers (getting tired of the dirty looking white, even though they are new). Then I figured I'd fix the small issues with my playfield (Missing insert mainly), so I got the decals and a protector. Then I needed a few plastics but I couldn't find the one over the captive ball so I had to buy the whole set. Then I get the people over in the resto sub basically egging me on to get a new playfield. Then I inspect my cabinet and see a bunch of dings so now I'm investigating the decal set. Already have new legs. Working on getting the wireforms and cabinet candy (lockbar, etc) powder coated. You guys are killing my wallet.

#105 4 years ago

I was reading over the HEP thread of the TOM restore and that guy is meticulous about the cleaning of all of the parts (wire harnesses, etc). He touched on the install of parts and the dimples being off, etc. I did a swap on my Cyclone from CPR and it went pretty well. I did them side by side, while I took a bunch of pics and had to reference them often, moving a part from one playfield to the next kept my anxiety down about getting into a situation that I couldn't figure my way out of. Doing a swap on my JP which isn't a GREAT replacement playfield but way better than what I have, so I'm not going to do a whole lot of meticulous cleaning. But if I do my TOM I'll be doing similar to you. Thanks for posting.

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Im preparing to order LEDs, however I have personally grown out of the colored GI and translite look and want to use some LED bulbs that will look somewhat original (incandecent).
Anybody have any recommendations? I prefer to use comet bulbs if possible but if there is a better choice Im all ears

Comet has "classic" looking LED's, right on their SMD page. Should give you what you want. That or the 1SMD bulbs in sunlight white.

#120 4 years ago

Looks awesome. I was just getting ready to swap my JP playfield and since I have replacement I was going to slide the new one right under the old and slide the wiring harness right off on to the new one but if not I was going to do it like you did. I can only imagine picking it up and trying to lay it back down in the right way.

#125 4 years ago

Just got this in for my TOM which is undergoing an upper playfield rebuild. Can't wait!

0513191256 (resized).jpg0513191256 (resized).jpg
#127 4 years ago

Is there a cheap way to get into a polishing setup?

#130 4 years ago

Thanks... I was considering buffing them all by hand with a wire wheel on my bench grinder versus a tumbler, but now I'm doing two machines so I think I need to go that route.

So you recommend walnut media and metal polish?

#131 4 years ago

Any thoughts on painting the cabinet hardware and wire forms? I am going back and forth between PC, plating and painting and if I paint myself or take to a body shop. I know there are considerations like coatings and I don't have a media blaster. If I did it myself I'd do an etching filler primer, some sort of gold paint and clear (either normal or 2X Spraymax). I have paint guns and a compressor but not really a spray booth setup or any automotive paints. Plus I dread what cleanup would be like.

Is this really a losing battle if I try and paint myself? I am quite tempted to go PC but the $400 price tag has me wanting to spend that on other mods and such.

#136 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Yes, I put in a blob of polish a little smaller than a pinball. It really makes a difference, here are some parts that just came out of the walnut...they have not even been buffed yet
[quoted image]
Im not sure if these photos capture the overall shine, they look brand new.
I forgot to take "before" pics...

Oh boy, I'm gonna need a kleenex.

#139 4 years ago

Ah crap, you're putting my mini rebuild to shame. Nice level of detail!

#161 4 years ago

What is the downside to installing mylar now? Isn't it easily removed later especially on a waxed playfield? I could see "visually" it being unwanted but a few bits here and there (especially at the inlanes where the ball drops, or maybe cliffys). I am doing a restored JP playfield now and just getting ready to rub out the the clear and was going to be installing mylar.

#164 4 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Hey, why don’t you remove the “grabbers” on your t-nut and just lightly adhere it to the PF and let it come tight when the machine screw is threaded in? Am I crazy?

I actually ran across t-nuts today that had no prongs.

#189 4 years ago

What kind of slack/play does the plunger and the plastic link have on your flipper mechs? I was considering replacing mine because that plunger/link combo has some slop, but then I was thinking it might have been built in (keeping it from being so tight). Is it supposed to flop around a bit or just act as a joint?

#192 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

the new ones have no play, the ones I removed had just a little slop at the link.

Thanks, going to order some up then!

1 week later
#198 4 years ago

Man, I'm feeling your pain right now. Been stripping down and rebuilding all of the mechs on my JP. So much black dust, so many coils. It's all strangely satisfying but I find myself washing my hands like 5-10 times a day more just from this work alone.

#201 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Is this screw factory?[quoted image][quoted image]

If what I am seeing is correct then no, I do not have that screw or nut on that piece. Hard to see in the pic, but I think it is just near the spring on the green and white wires near the bottom of the pic. I think it is to the left of that screw above the spring and I believe there is nothing there.

0604191647a (resized).jpg0604191647a (resized).jpg
#203 4 years ago

AH, I was looking at the other end (in the trough). Interesting... wonder if it was just a production line change? Seems like a lot of work to add it later from some owner.

#206 4 years ago

Dang dude. Dang. You are going all out.

#212 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Before I add mylar, anybody have thoughts on the cliffy available for the trap door and trunk?

I am putting them on mine, inconspicuous and some more protection. My trap door got pretty beat.

Also, I am putting a thin piece of wide foam insulation in the trunk to prevent popouts. I can post a pic of the material (heck I can send you some if you want, it's a HUGE roll) if you are interested. My wife gets hella pissed when the ball pops out on a good shot.

1 month later
#233 4 years ago

Love this thread. My ToM is sitting there half torn down waiting to get just a bit of this treatment.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, OH
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Minneapolis, MN
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Villa, IL
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryhoudini.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-tragicrebuilding-a-classic?tu=harryhoudini and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.