New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 37365)

Pinside Theatre of Magic restore, Your choice

By eabundy

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Pinchroma
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How should the trim, legs, lockdown bar etc be done?”

• Keep original stainless 11 votes
    23%
  • Brass plated 23 votes
    48%
  • Powder Coated 14 votes
    29%

(48 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Legs.JPG
ToM_2_007.jpg
ToM_032.jpg
tom_gold3.jpg
tom_gold2.jpg
tom_gold1.jpg
DSC08621.JPG
DSC08620.JPG
DSC08619.JPG

#1 7 years ago

Ok, I'm getting a pretty worn down Theatre of Magic. I want to restore it, and I thought I would do something a little different for a change.

Leave it up to the pinsiders on what mods, and things to bling out on it. Even vote on the powder coating colors or not to. Up to you guys within reason..

This will probably take me a couple months and I will then bring it to the Allentown show for sale, hence why it's starting out in the marketplace section. Please don't PM me about price to sell as is. That is not an option. I think this could be fun.

For sure I am doing the cabinet decals and restore.
Definitely doing LEDs

open to other thoughts.. Clearcoating playfield etc..

#2 7 years ago

New CC PF
Brass door armor and legs.
Tiger Saw
Trunk locks
New Trunk
Lighting wand
mirror for mask roll overs
Sub woofer
Shaker (If possible)
Shooter rod

That is a start.

Have fun and post lots of pics

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

New CC PF
Brass door armor and legs.
Tiger Saw
Trunk locks
New Trunk
Lighting wand
mirror for mask roll overs
Sub woofer
Shaker (If possible)
Shooter rod
That is a start.
Have fun and post lots of pics

I was thinking brass at first, but that seems almost Cliché at this point as that would be just like everyone elses blinged out TOM. However once the thread gets rolling I will put it up as a poll choice. I'd also like to do gold or chrome mirror blades as I love how those look.

#4 7 years ago

red velvet inside cab blades!

looks amazing in person

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

red velvet inside cab blades!
looks amazing in person

Can you post a picture of what that looks like?

#6 7 years ago

have to come up with something better than the brass trim and legs....?Jpop

#7 7 years ago

Im wondering if I can do a "magic" color on it.... HMMMMMMM It's a hard color scheme to work with. The playfield pops with color but the cabinet is fairly monochromatic. 2 bases and a gold...

Let me think about this one.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from jpop:

Like I said I'm open to suggestions, but also don't want this to be like everyone elses if that makes sense. But I will go with the consensus and what Alex/Pinchroma thinks.

Also wondering about the skill shot launch ramp, if that should be powder coated / plated? Will it hold up to the pounding?

#9 7 years ago

I do not have a picture of the red velvet blades but I know a member on here that has them installed. I will shoot him a PM and ask him to post a photo.

#10 7 years ago

Here ya go!

DSC08619.JPG DSC08620.JPG DSC08621.JPG

#11 7 years ago

I've got a set of gold blades from Drano in my TOM and love it!

tom_gold1.jpg tom_gold2.jpg tom_gold3.jpg

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

For sure I am doing the cabinet decals and restore.

Quoted from jpop:

have to come up with something better than the brass trim and legs....?

Why not go a completely different direction? The cabinet artwork is stylised to look like an old trunk with brass brackets and locks and such.... Why not do it for real?

Much like that BSD that was in a real coffin, or Whoa Nellie in the orange crates, why not turn the cabinet / backbox into a real trunk? Wrap the sides in old, worn leather. Put real hinges and brackets on it. Affix real brass chains to the sides. I'm sure someone with a scroll saw and some patience could cut out some brass plate letters for the nameplates.

Just an idea....

Later,
EV

#14 7 years ago

Get JPOP to sign the translight.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Why not go a completely different direction? The cabinet artwork is stylised to look like an old trunk with brass brackets and locks and such.... Why not do it for real?
Much like that BSD that was in a real coffin, or Whoa Nellie in the orange crates, why not turn the cabinet / backbox into a real trunk? Wrap the sides in old, worn leather. Put real hinges and brackets on it. Affix real brass chains to the sides. I'm sure someone with a scroll saw and some patience could cut out some brass plate letters for the nameplates.
Just an idea....
Later,
EV

Great idea, but way outside the comfort zone of my ability.

#16 7 years ago

* Live baby tiger with real tiger saw
* Real magician announcing mode starts

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

Get JPOP to sign the translight.

Hmm, love that idea.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from jpop:

INVISIBLE!!!!

#19 7 years ago

Make a plastic for the Spirit ring.
Reflective mylar for the tops of the gates.

ToM_032.jpg ToM_2_007.jpg

#20 7 years ago

Make a plastic for the Spirit ring.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

Like I said I'm open to suggestions, but also don't want this to be like everyone elses if that makes sense. But I will go with the consensus and what Alex/Pinchroma thinks.
Also wondering about the skill shot launch ramp, if that should be powder coated / plated? Will it hold up to the pounding?

I am in the middle of TOM restore and had the ramp brass/gold plated, but can't speak to how well it will hold up yet. As an alternative, plate the exterior sides of the ramp only, if that's possible.

I went with brass/gold plated trim and legs as I preferred that look. But to be different, a custom powder coat would be the way to go.

#22 7 years ago

I can do red velvet powder coat on the armor

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I can do red velvet powder coat on the armor

could you make an 'aged brass' look?

#24 7 years ago

Absolutely can. You mean like an oil rubbed bronze look? I can even do a textured bronze which is gorgeous.

#25 7 years ago

I was thinking textured, but its up to eabundy. Just wanted to throw it out there.

#26 7 years ago

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/colors/E-9134B/

I could put a gloss or matte clear over it to eliminate the texture as well but I love the texture on games.

#27 7 years ago

I love the idea of old rubbed bronze powder.

I think the right powder could be awesome. Could make the game seem so much more lush and rich 'feeling' if you know what I mean.

#29 7 years ago

I am not sure without the game in front of me, but I think the light looks really good. it would be cool if it could have a sort of patina (sp?) to it somehow.

#30 7 years ago

Yeah Bundy I hear you. Cliche or not it does look the best out of all I have seen. I polished chrome would likely look good also. I really like the look of the velvet as much as mirror blades just a different look all together. If you want a different color how about a matte copper??

need switches too. LOL you know hydraulic switches. and ground effects =)

#31 7 years ago

P.s. I can powder the outsides of the ramp and leave the ball travel area as it is. It will look great and you don't have to worry about ball tracking.

#32 7 years ago

I voted powder coat, like so

Legs.JPG

#33 7 years ago

I think the velvet inside looks awesome!

#34 7 years ago

I will leave it to a vote on whether to powder coat and color, or to brass plate it. I have spoken with Mike Chestnut and he has a set ready to go as well. If the pricing is somewhat close I will leave it up to you pinsiders on which to do and color.

I'm leaning towards gold mirror blades over the velvet, but open to discussion on it.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from TheRave:

I think the velvet inside looks awesome!

Yeah until it wears off after lifting the playfield 5 times.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Yeah until it wears off after lifting the playfield 5 times.

You have to remove the velvet ones before lifting the playfield.

#37 7 years ago

So many possibilities for a great looking pin....

#38 7 years ago

So a rough estimate in price is Brass/Gold plating is about 700.00 more than powder coating..

#39 7 years ago

FWIW, I purchased the black velvet blades on ebay and they look great on my ToM. Yes you do have to remove them before lifting the playfield but that doesn't happen very often. I thought about the red ones and thought purple would be nicer color match so I went with the black.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

So a rough estimate in price is Brass/Gold plating is about 700.00 more than powder coating..

Which is it? Gold costs more than brass.

#41 7 years ago

I don't think the brass is worth that much. I'm sure you can powder coat brass-like and it will look almost as good.

#42 7 years ago

Wow. Those red velvet blades look a LOT better than I thought they would. Great design choice, and thanks for sharing.

#43 7 years ago

It would be nice to see in brass, but once in a while, I think stainless is perfect.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Which is it? Gold costs more than brass.

Brass is what he means John. Brass plating is 1000-1200 for the entire machine. Powder is 350ish.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside