• 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jay
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3C3505BF-7890-4A97-9DBD-EB844FD73365 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I'm working on a Theater that had a bunch of trunk/motor problems. What seems to have happened is the motor driver board had a leaky cap that caused the drive to fail and let the motor spin in one direction. That seemed to create knock on issues of breaking off the roll pin in the motor stop, ripping all the wiring up and stripping out the gear box. Unfortunately, with a brand new motor I'm still having problems. The motor will never fully set itself to the correct position even though all the optos are registering appropriately. In test it spins sluggishly and will never fully advance to the next position, instead coming to rest somewhere between 60 and 80% of the way between trunk faces. Anyone solved this? Everything I've read, probably half a dozen topics, seem to suggest this is a gearbox problem but I've got a brand new motor and gear box. Not sure what else it could be since it was doing the exact same thing with the old motor and gearbox.

#2 2 years ago

Wednesday bump… still looking for some suggestions on this one.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Sorry buddy, I tried...

Yeah, this is a pretty weird one. I’m going to look at it again today, maybe try swapping driver boards and see if whatver failure worked it’s way back there.

2 months later
#11 2 years ago
Quoted from silverballpaul:

So I originally thought it was the motor control board that was bad and I was right. The problem was that the replacement board I bought was faulty as well. I swapped the control board from shadow and the trunk works fine.

Oh my. I hope that's not the case but I'll do my best to test this when I get a chance. I've had no time to dig back into this project but my schedule will free up greatly in March so looking to get back at it then.

2 months later
#13 2 years ago
Quoted from silverballpaul:

So I originally thought it was the motor control board that was bad and I was right. The problem was that the replacement board I bought was faulty as well. I swapped the control board from shadow and the trunk works fine.

I was finally able to get back to this motor issue and I can now say that the above was the problem. To outline the troubleshooting process I went through...

The original motor/board combo was not turning at all. Ordered a new motor board, and since I could see some leakage from the cap I took the old board and repaired it. I then installed the new motor board and found the motor was working but not turning correctly... it would only advance about 3/4 of the way to the next position and stop. I made the decision to purchase a new motor assuming the existing motor had developed gear box issues prior to the the original motor driver failing. So after installing the new motor the problem was identical... would only turn about 3/4. So I put the original motor board that I repaired back in and the motor started spinning freely and working fine. Looks like the repro motor board I bought was the issue after all, and a faulty motor board can indeed present this symptom. Hopefully this helps anyone that encounters a similar problem in the future.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 11.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-trunk-sluggish-with-new-motor?tu=jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.