Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jsa
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

#1 6 years ago

I was wondering if there is a way to adjust the trap door. Mine is loose and moves around. Sometimes it shoots the ball straight down the middle. I have taken it apart and tightened everything and no luck. Anything I'm missing?

Thanks

#2 6 years ago

Trap door is a pretty easy guy to work on. IIRC, the VUK on that is a plastic saucer thats pinned to the solenoid. Make sure thats not cracked on one edge or anything. The door itself can be removed by undoing the bolt on the release collar. You might be able to loosen that collar than reposition the door so that it sits properly. I dont ever recall having rotation issues with that assembly though.

#3 6 years ago

Coil stop broken off below the playfield ?

LTG : )

#4 6 years ago

Yea, actually, I forgot about that. I made my own coil stop to adjust that throw. The real issue with that whole assembly is the small pin that pushes the ball into the VUK.

#5 6 years ago

Here are some pics.

image.jpg image.jpg

#6 6 years ago

I had this same issue when I had mine. The problem on mine was the ball craddle attached to the rod was the wrong part. The cradle that attached to the rod had lots of play. The cradle should screw directly into the rod. Mine had been routed and the operater, intentional or not, put the wrong part in. Causing the ball to intermitently drain. It was a most frustrating thing. The trap door comes out easy as I recall and you can access the part. Did you just purchase the machine? Hope this helps.

#7 6 years ago

I cant tell for sure, but make sure there is a rubber grommet at the back of the push rod to stop it from touching the metal frame. You can also try increasing that spacing to see if this changes things as well. Can you spin the trap door freely? And like PinDescabarian said, check that ball cradle, it tends to be the source of a lot of issues on ToM.

#8 6 years ago

Ya I can move the trap door freely. It moves side to side. I checked that push rod and it has the whole where it is directly screwed into the trap door.

#9 6 years ago

Send a pic of the ball cradle. I can tell you if it is the correct part or not.

#10 6 years ago

Mine is all over the place too. Usually goes to right flipper, sometimes left, sometimes SDTM.

Also the hold coil for it is on a different fuse than high power - confusing!

#11 6 years ago

My issue is not with the ball popper it is the trap door. Because it has play in it sometimes the lid will be sitting a bit crooked and when the ball pops out it hits that lid at a weird angle and it will sometimes drain.

#12 6 years ago

Hope you can tell by this pic

image.jpg

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from vintage4life:

it is the trap door

Got the two correct springs on it ?

LTG : )

#14 6 years ago

Once I put the correct part in I never had a problem. It would fire to the Rt flipper like it should everytime. Your pic of the trap door assembly, coil, coil stop and rod looks correct.

#15 6 years ago

No clue!

#16 6 years ago

Can you guys freely move your trap door some on playfield or is solid in place?

#17 6 years ago

You should have no play in the rod and ball cradle where they attach . A single screw connects the two together macking them solid. Can't tell from the picture.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from vintage4life:

Can you guys freely move your trap door some on playfield or is solid in place?

Yes moved freely with lots of play.

#19 6 years ago

Ya I have the single screw that goes through cradle and rod. There is play in it though.

#20 6 years ago

Does your ball craddle move freely on the rod?

#21 6 years ago

Here is a pic of screw hole

image.jpg

#22 6 years ago

That play should not be. Take it apart. you will have to order a part. Take a picture so i can see it.

#23 6 years ago

What sk
crew hold? Ball screw hold or trap door screw hole?

#24 6 years ago

That's the trap door screw hole

#25 6 years ago

That looks correct from what I recall.

#26 6 years ago

Pull the ball cradle out and take a close up picture.

#27 6 years ago

Ok I'll do it tomorrow. I'm giving up on it today! Thanks for all the help so far guys.

9 months later
#28 5 years ago

Did you resolve this? I'm having a similar issue.

1 week later
#30 5 years ago

Ok I took my trapdoor assembly apart and here is what I found. The ball stop bracket bottom had been welded in place. Lloyd mentioned these get weak. The main part of play I found however was there was play between the coil sleeves and armatures. Also quite a bit of play where the armature is pieced together there was considerable play. I have ordered replacement parts and will see if this helps.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

Ok I took my trapdoor assembly apart and here is what I found. The ball stop bracket bottom had been welded in place. Lloyd mentioned these get weak. The main part of play I found however was there was play between the coil sleeves and armatures. Also quite a bit of play where the armature is pieced together there was considerable play. I have ordered replacement parts and will see if this helps.

I did the same thing, replaced the armature and coil sleeve. The new armature had some play, but after the clean and rebuild and leveling the game, it hits the right flipper each time and I haven't had any issues.

Marc

#32 5 years ago

Hey sorry guys I can't remember how I fixed it completely. I traded it off a while ago. Pretty sure I just changed all the sleeves and springs. Cleaned and tightened everything thing up and it was perfect. I could never get the trap door lid to sit right on the pf though. It had a lot of play in it. But after replacing those parts there were no more center drains.

#33 5 years ago

After tearing it apart I can see where the top flap is supposed to have play. There really isn't any way to tighten that up. I did find alot of play in the actual armature and coil sleeves so hoping my remaining parts arrive tomorrow I can put it back together.

#34 5 years ago

So I got all my parts in, and it looks like the STDM issue is resolved. I have one remaining issue and I think I know why. The trap door does not sit flush to the playfield now. It's about a cm too high. I think it might be this aftermarket bracket that houses the coils, armatures, and all being too short. The only way I can see making it sit flush is if I remove the rubber stop at the very bottom or bending the plate at the bottom. Anyone have any insight into this?

#35 5 years ago

Ok found an old post regarding adjusting height where LTG chimed in and mentioned really the only way to adjust height is the rubber grommet or bending the bracket, which i've done.

Can anyone provide a pic of what type of rubber grommet they are using? Mine had a much flatter grommet, I ordered a new one from Marco and it was taller.

2 years later
#36 3 years ago

Just going to reinforce what it seems others have learned here. My SDTM issue from the trap door was being caused by play between the armature and the coil sleeves. I replaced the coil sleeves and armatures with Marco parts, also the springs. Everything works great now, except I believe the newer Armature Extension (04-10019) from Marco may be about 3mm too long, or the screw hole attaching the trap door lid to the armature may be a couple mm off. This results in the trap door lid not sitting flush on the playfield. You can either replace the original armature, or bend the bottom stop bracket (with the rubber grommet) a couple mm until flush.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 59.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Whitewater pinball mods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside