11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by newdos
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jaxpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

I just purchased a TOM and have a few issues. Please note that I'm very inexperienced to pinball mechanics...

Upon testing the game out, I noticed immediately an issue with the Trap Door Ball Popper Assembly switch whereby when a ball goes into the Trap Door, the software doesn’t know the ball is in the Popper Assembly. In turn, the game stalls as it can't find the ball and goes into its all fire solenoid routine. After three (3) iterations of the all fire solenoid routine, the ball popper assembly then correctly fires and releases the ball back onto the playfield.

I've tried adjusting the Ball Popper Assembly Switch but based on how the Ball Popper Solenoid is traveling in the Assembly I'm either placing the switch in the wrong place (underneath the ball cradle at this time) or it's because the Solenoid is traveling too far down on its own due to gravity.

The result of each of my attempts to fix either:

1. The game doens't know when a ball is in the Ball Popper (Open position)... symptoms noted above ....OR
2. The game always thinks there is a ball in the Ball Popeer (Closed position) and starts the open trap door ball popout sequence over and over upon starting a new game.

Note that with gravity the Solenoid is completely down in the rest position... so there is no space between the bottom of the Ball Cradle and the metal gard that stops the Ball Cradle from retracting further. My assumption is that the Leaf Micro Switch is to be placed underneath the Ball Cradle; however with gravity the Solenoid itself is pressing down on the switch (closing the circuit) without the ball (See symptom #2 above).

The only other assumptions I have are that I have the wrong type of Micro Switch in that the end of the switch itself should act as a spring (keeping the Solenoid up without closing the switch) until a heavier object (the ball) presses down on both the Solenoid and Switch spring to close the switch.

The other assumption is that the Solenoid is not working properly and should not retract completely by gravity alone.. the assembly should require the ball on the cradle to move the Solenoid down onto the switch that rests below the ball cradle.

Anyone that has a TOM or has worked on one and knows how the Ball Popper Assembly is supposed to interact with the switch, I would be grateful for some guidance..

Respectfully,

Aaron

#3 11 years ago

LTG,

Yes, when in doubt, read the manual.... the troubleshooting and repair section was worthless but per your suggestion went to the parts section and discovered that this assembly is supposed to have a spring that is missing...

I appreciate your input.

Aaron

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jaxpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-trap-door-ball-popper-assembly-switch?tu=jaxpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.