9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen shot 2014-09-08 at 1.00.58 PM.png
WPC coil.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stabulldogs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Pinsiders - I recently got my first game, a very nice TOM. The only hack on the game was a home-brewed trap door bracket, looked like the bottom had broken off and the owner welded it back on, but it have no place for the rubber stopper.

I purchased a new bracket from Marco, swapped it out, and when it was all back together the trap door, which previously worked fine, no longer stayed up. It raises just fine, but it wont stay up long enough for the ball to shoot out (let alone 3-10 seconds to shoot a ball in there)

I bought a new A-20099 coil but that didnt solve the problem. Would the new bracket be a worse conductor and perhaps I need a stronger coil? What else could have changed where it would now no longer work when previously it worked fine?

1. What's the coil thats 1 or two levels higher than the A-20099 (cant find this coil listed on any charts)

2. Other ideas of things to check/may have changed?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

#4 9 years ago

Train, thanks a lot for the great diagram. I don't have a reader, but will get one to be sure it's set up properly (I didnt change any wires, so dont think this is the issue, but perhaps it is)

If I did need a stronger coil, what would be one and/or two steps up from an A-20099? I cant find it anywhere

I will check the solder on the three connections as well, it may have been weak and snapped when i transferred to the new encasing.

Thanks!

#6 9 years ago

great, thanks a lot!

#7 9 years ago

UPDATE - The Marco bracket is not magnetic, the way the original is, and for whatever reason that causes the original coil (I tried a new one) to not have enough strength to HOLD the door up, it will pop up, but come right back down. Per this post (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-tom-trap-door-wont-stay-up) I installed the FL-11753 coil instead (snipped off diodes) and it works perfectly!

Firstly, thank you all for the help if finding a solution. While I dont like using non-original part types, the bracket really does seem to make a difference. Any idea why?

Train and Faz, you guys are great, thanks again

#9 9 years ago

It's a mystery to me and a few guys Ive talked to, but Im now the third guy on the site to have the issue, and given its a new coil installed per manual (and your diagram) and the ONLY changed was the weldment, its gotta be playing a role, as bizzare as it sounds, cause I agree it shouldnt impact it

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stabulldogs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-tom-trap-door-failure?tu=stabulldogs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.