Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1089.CR2 (resized).jpg
869AFA6B-C891-4CC5-80E8-B65E9178217B.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jimgravina.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Hello Pinsiders!

About a year ago I bought my first pin (Back To The Future) to add to my Back To The Future collection (not pinball collection). It’s been great and I love it and I have that slight itch to get another one. The only other one I am interested in is Theatre Of Magic, only because I am a magician and would love to have one for my Magic collection. I want these pins for the theme, not necessarily because they are pinball machines if that makes sense.

I understand Theatre Of Magic is a pretty popular one so hoping some folks can fill me in on the game. Are there any known problems or issues with this pin? Any tips or tricks on what to look for when buying one? Its a bit pricey so any general thoughts just on the pin itself would be great

Thank you!
Jim

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

You could always get Capcom's Pinball Magic instead its usually a bit less pricey

No kidding! Did not know about this Pin, thanks for sharing that.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

as someone new to pinball, the first thing i tell people looking to buy is that you usually get what you pay for (unless you're getting ripped off). all else equal, a $7500 Theatre will usually be in far nicer condition and functionality than someone selling one for $5500 because they know it's got issues and is worn and broken. pay up now, you'll have a much nicer example, and you'll get that much more back when you sell it.

Yeah, I know what you mean but I do enjoy fixing up the machines. I learned a lot from repairing my Back To The Future pin, so it would be a fun project. But your right, I’ll probably spend more in parts then if I just paid more up front.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

The problem with Pinball Magic is that the modes are not random so your always solving the same modes in the same order.

Yeah, great suggestion, but I think I’m still way more interested Theater Of Magic. Don’t mind the price tag, just wanted to be sure what to look out for and if it’s worth it to me.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Just curious... Hobbyist, amateur, pro?
Do you do close up, street or stage?
I have a TOM for almost the exact same reason you are looking for one.
Good luck!

I'm a sleight of hand close up guy. Used to work bars, restaurants, close up events....not its just a fun hobby. Just dont have as much time as I used to with my new job, but I still always carry a deck of cards around...

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

You can find a huo Houdini for $5500. Save a few grand over ToM. Houdini is tough but for me it’s a great theme so it forces me to come back for more. (I did magic for a long time too). Maybe YouTube all 3 games and see which one interests you.

Yeah, I had no idea about the HOUDINI pin until someone just mentioned it!

#39 3 years ago

This is all great advice and input, Thank you!
Jim

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from sliprose:

I saw on the website of Arcade Game Sales of MD (near Annapolis) has a TOM listed on their refurbished pinball list (at bottom of page). Have no idea what they're asking, though. It's probably on display if you wanted to drive from Alexandria and check it out.
https://www.agsarcadegamesales.com/pinballs.html

That would be awesome! I will definitely check it out, not necessarily ready to buy, but would love to check it out. Never played it, just been oogling over youtube gameplay videos lol.

How did you find this?

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Good lord man, have you checked out Houdini? It is a much deeper game than ToM, more stop-and-go, but it’s got some deep references to the man himself, his films, his tricks. Plus the catapult! M
It’s harder than ToM for sure though. I’ve owned all 3. Pinball magic I couldn’t get rid of fast enough. ToM is great but it got old. Houdini remains

Yeah I have been looking at Houdini a bit. But since this is more of a themed piece for me I feel i get more with TOM since it’s got a lot more magic references (cards, levitation, sawing in half, escape, etc).

The Houdini pin is just about the one guy, who I love, but I like how Tom is more broad.

#54 3 years ago

All very valid points! I am really not a "pinballer," though I have really really enjoyed this community ever since I got my BTTF pin about a year ago, so while I do like to play them, I am not playing them 24/7 and trying to "improve my skills." I mainly get them for the theme and to just have some fun when people come over...definitely sounds like TOM takes the cake if thats what i'm going for.

Part of me really wants to get a cheaper one so that I can fix it up but it seems like there are not alot of TOMs out there that have not already been shopped out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

Wanted
$ 11.95
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jimgravina.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-thoughts?tu=jimgravina and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.