Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1089.CR2 (resized).jpg
869AFA6B-C891-4CC5-80E8-B65E9178217B.gif
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

Hello Pinsiders!

About a year ago I bought my first pin (Back To The Future) to add to my Back To The Future collection (not pinball collection). It’s been great and I love it and I have that slight itch to get another one. The only other one I am interested in is Theatre Of Magic, only because I am a magician and would love to have one for my Magic collection. I want these pins for the theme, not necessarily because they are pinball machines if that makes sense.

I understand Theatre Of Magic is a pretty popular one so hoping some folks can fill me in on the game. Are there any known problems or issues with this pin? Any tips or tricks on what to look for when buying one? Its a bit pricey so any general thoughts just on the pin itself would be great

Thank you!
Jim

#2 3 years ago

You could always get Capcom's Pinball Magic instead its usually a bit less pricey

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

You could always get Capcom's Pinball Magic instead its usually a bit less pricey

No kidding! Did not know about this Pin, thanks for sharing that.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

Hello Pinsiders!
About a year ago I bought my first pin (Back To The Future) to add to my Back To The Future collection (not pinball collection). It’s been great and I love it and I have that slight itch to get another one. The only other one I am interested in is Theatre Of Magic, only because I am a magician and would love to have one for my Magic collection. I want these pins for the theme, not necessarily because they are pinball machines if that makes sense.
I understand Theatre Of Magic is a pretty popular one so hoping some folks can fill me in on the game. Are there any known problems or issues with this pin? Any tips or tricks on what to look for when buying one? Its a bit pricey so any general thoughts just on the pin itself would be great
Thank you!
Jim

Make sure the magic trunk works correctly and isn’t too beat up.

That’s pretty much it. It’s a cool game and newbs love it and it’s the best magic game out there. It’s popular so it’s not gonna be cheap I think around $6500 is the sweet spot right now.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

Are there any known problems or issues with this pin?

The rotating trunk. The shell is sometimes broken, and there can sometimes be issues with the board that drives the mechanism.

It tends to be significantly more difficult to find.

#6 3 years ago

to someone new to pinball, the first thing i tell people looking to buy is that you usually get what you pay for (unless you're getting ripped off). all else equal, a $7500 Theatre will usually be in far nicer condition and functionality than someone selling one for $5500 because they know it's got issues and is worn and broken. pay up now, you'll have a much nicer example, and you'll get that much more back when you sell it.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

as someone new to pinball, the first thing i tell people looking to buy is that you usually get what you pay for (unless you're getting ripped off). all else equal, a $7500 Theatre will usually be in far nicer condition and functionality than someone selling one for $5500 because they know it's got issues and is worn and broken. pay up now, you'll have a much nicer example, and you'll get that much more back when you sell it.

Yeah, I know what you mean but I do enjoy fixing up the machines. I learned a lot from repairing my Back To The Future pin, so it would be a fun project. But your right, I’ll probably spend more in parts then if I just paid more up front.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

as someone new to pinball, the first thing i tell people looking to buy is that you usually get what you pay for (unless you're getting ripped off). all else equal, a $7500 Theatre will usually be in far nicer condition and functionality than someone selling one for $5500 because they know it's got issues and is worn and broken. pay up now, you'll have a much nicer example, and you'll get that much more back when you sell it.

Generally, yes, but not always. Sometimes someone will just stick a high price on a game.

If you see an ad for one, check to see how long it's been up. If it's been up longer than a week, it might not be priced right.

#9 3 years ago

The problem with Pinball Magic is that the modes are not random so your always solving the same modes in the same order.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

The problem with Pinball Magic is that the modes are not random so your always solving the same modes in the same order.

Yeah, great suggestion, but I think I’m still way more interested Theater Of Magic. Don’t mind the price tag, just wanted to be sure what to look out for and if it’s worth it to me.

#11 3 years ago

Theatre is a great pin. Just be patient and buy the right one. It’s a classic and you will enjoy it with no regrets.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

interesting, didn't know that.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Known as “who brought the dog” syndrome

#14 3 years ago

Get it. You’ll love it and fits your interests well.

#15 3 years ago

Just FYI...CGC has Theater of Magic listed as one of their possible remakes in the future. So if you are interested in a NIB version, it “might” be manufactured again by CGC. There is No guarantee that it will be remade. And it could be years before they make it again. Just thought you might want to know this. And CGC’s next remake announcement is just around the corner. I expect them to announce their next machine before the end of the year. But that is just my speculation.

#16 3 years ago

You could be a masochist and get a Houdini.

#17 3 years ago

Tricks?

869AFA6B-C891-4CC5-80E8-B65E9178217B.gif869AFA6B-C891-4CC5-80E8-B65E9178217B.gif

But seriously, if you’re more into the theme than pinball itself, ToM will be a great game to own. It’ll be a lot better than BTTF and it’s much easier to find then Pinball Magic. You could also go Hokus Pokus and save like $5k but it’s an EM (but a good one). Good luck!

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

only because I am a magician
Jim

Just curious... Hobbyist, amateur, pro?

Do you do close up, street or stage?

I have a TOM for almost the exact same reason you are looking for one.

Good luck!

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Just curious... Hobbyist, amateur, pro?
Do you do close up, street or stage?
I have a TOM for almost the exact same reason you are looking for one.
Good luck!

I'm a sleight of hand close up guy. Used to work bars, restaurants, close up events....not its just a fun hobby. Just dont have as much time as I used to with my new job, but I still always carry a deck of cards around...

#20 3 years ago

There used to be a Theater of Magic at the boardwalk in Seaside years ago, i played it a ton. Very fun game, some neat toys and pretty straightforward ruleset, nice flowing shots. My only beef with that game was once i finally reached the wizard mode and managed to complete it. Quite a let down. I kinda lost interest in it after that, but it's still a fun game to play from time to time. Definitely a people-pleaser, it's colorful and attractive. I could see that one getting a lot of play at parties.

I can't remember, but it might also have the "midnight madness" mode which is always a hoot.

#21 3 years ago

+1 for Hokus Pokus! (Only cuz i have one lol).

Seriously though, TOM is a beautiful looking pin - i love the cab art. As others have said the trunk can take a beating so have a look at that when you buy. But know there are replacements for them as well.

#22 3 years ago

It’s a classic for good reason. Very fun game, fast and fluid. I enjoyed my time with it.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

You could be a masochist and get a Houdini.

Better game than TOM at least if you like to actually play the game. Better light show too even if you don't play it and could be had for less money than a really nice TOM is going for.

#24 3 years ago

You can find a huo Houdini for $5500. Save a few grand over ToM. Houdini is tough but for me it’s a great theme so it forces me to come back for more. (I did magic for a long time too). Maybe YouTube all 3 games and see which one interests you.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

You can find a huo Houdini for $5500. Save a few grand over ToM. Houdini is tough but for me it’s a great theme so it forces me to come back for more. (I did magic for a long time too). Maybe YouTube all 3 games and see which one interests you.

Yeah, I had no idea about the HOUDINI pin until someone just mentioned it!

#26 3 years ago

Houdini looks cool to me and I’ll admit it might be because I’m not a fan of the shot layout but I just do not like the feel of American Pinball flippers. Not sure if it’s the texture of the buttons or the feel but something is off with them

#27 3 years ago

Get a ToM, it's a great pin. Also both the playfield and cabinet looks awesome.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Houdini looks cool to me and I’ll admit it might be because I’m not a fan of the shot layout but I just do not like the feel of American Pinball flippers. Not sure if it’s the texture of the buttons or the feel but something is off with them

Well they are WPC type mechs driven by P3ROC and standard leaf style switches but it's true that Houdini can have some flipper issues under heavy load.

#29 3 years ago

There's a Houdini on location at Mom's organic market in College Park, if you can make it up there.

The pinball room is generally open the same hours as the market -- FB says 9 am to 8 pm.

Warning -- I bought Houdini for my collection after playing it a bunch at Mom's

#30 3 years ago

You’re a magician, surely you can find a way to make all three of these titles appear in your game room! Admit it, you need them all.

#31 3 years ago

The other typical issues with TOM are: the trigger wheel for the trunk is plastic and typically cracks. TOM has a very heavy GI load that overheats the GI header. Make sure you inspect these two. If the GI header has a white plastic IDC plug and is black or brown, it has seen lots of heat. If it has the Black Plastic IDC plug your good.

#32 3 years ago

Get a TOM. It's a no-brainer if you're a magician. One of the most beautiful, best-themed pins ever made, and always a delight to play. People on here rag on it all the time for being too easy, but sometimes it's nice to play a game that's fun, well-themed and doesn't crush your hopes every time. Wizard mode could be more robust, but otherwise I love every aspect of it.

TOM has known issues, but they can all be bulletproofed with some mods and a little work. Main issue is the trunk being a PITA. Most of these issues are solved with an aluminum interrupter and Ingo's Leon board set-up which makes a great game even better. The trunk itself will get destroyed - just get a couple extras or buy the indestructible trunk here on pinside. Not that big of a deal.

Only thing would be is if CGC remakes TOM - then it might be nice to have a new one over an OG. But wouldn't hold your breath on that...

#33 3 years ago

I’ll confirm canea being a long time TOM owner and expert, so his opinion and advice is more than credible.

#34 3 years ago

There is also Stern 'Magic' and Hokus Pokus as magic themed machines. TOM still gets my vote as the best of the bunch, owning all of the machines mentioned so far except Hokus Pokus...

#35 3 years ago

Here you go - great price...

denver.craigslist.org link

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

Yeah, I had no idea about the HOUDINI pin until someone just mentioned it!

I fell in love with magic as a kid and have been a fan since. I currently own Theatre, Pinball Magic and Hokus Pokus. Obviously this is all subjective, but Theatre is my favorite of the bunch. I owned a Houdini and didn't like it, but not because it was hard. I found play clunky and the layout ill conceived. The shots I made weren't satisfying and some of the misses were rattlers - shots that rattled around in a lane. The code was amateurish and didn't flow cleanly like a Williams or JJP game. If you get Theatre, definitely try to find an unbreakable trunk. Good luck with your search.

IMG_1089.CR2 (resized).jpgIMG_1089.CR2 (resized).jpg
#37 3 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Here you go - great price...
denver.craigslist.org link

That same machine is listed here on pinside for $200 less.

#38 3 years ago

I've played all the games above a buncha times. I've repaired 2 TOMs. Both were trunk issues. I used to like Pinball Magic better, just cuz coolness, but the same modes same order every time does drag, even for an old school guy like me. Houdini just isn't all that fun, even when you make the very tight shots

Get a nice TOM, bulletproof the trunk, and enjoy!

#39 3 years ago

This is all great advice and input, Thank you!
Jim

#40 3 years ago

Can any of you magicians explain the insults that are hurled at you by Matra Magna and her critics in Pinball Magic??

#41 3 years ago

I saw on the website of Arcade Game Sales of MD (near Annapolis) has a TOM listed on their refurbished pinball list (at bottom of page). Have no idea what they're asking, though. It's probably on display if you wanted to drive from Alexandria and check it out.

https://www.agsarcadegamesales.com/pinballs.html

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from sliprose:

I saw on the website of Arcade Game Sales of MD (near Annapolis) has a TOM listed on their refurbished pinball list (at bottom of page). Have no idea what they're asking, though. It's probably on display if you wanted to drive from Alexandria and check it out.
https://www.agsarcadegamesales.com/pinballs.html

That would be awesome! I will definitely check it out, not necessarily ready to buy, but would love to check it out. Never played it, just been oogling over youtube gameplay videos lol.

How did you find this?

#43 3 years ago

TOM is great - one of the earlier pins in my collection that I sold and re-purchased. It is a now a permanent resident. Super fast shots, great flow, easy to understand rules but not too easy to win. A definite winner. Spend more money up front for a nicer game - you'll end up spending the money to fix up a dud anyway once you own it.

#44 3 years ago

Good lord man, have you checked out Houdini? It is a much deeper game than ToM, more stop-and-go, but it’s got some deep references to the man himself, his films, his tricks. Plus the catapult! M

It’s harder than ToM for sure though. I’ve owned all 3. Pinball magic I couldn’t get rid of fast enough. ToM is great but it got old. Houdini remains

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Known as “who brought the dog” syndrome

I thought owning a PM would make me ready for GB but i was wrong.

TOM is a great machine. You may "grow out of it " later, but shots, dots, sound is all top notch. Much more approachable than PM, but PM is a bit more "magicy" on the PF...if that matters.

Ah yes, stated above Houdini is an option. One available is PA around 4 hours form you

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

That would be awesome! I will definitely check it out, not necessarily ready to buy, but would love to check it out. Never played it, just been oogling over youtube gameplay videos lol.
How did you find this?

I bought my JP2 Pro from these guys a few months ago and I remembered him saying that they had just gotten a TOM, then I checked the website.
Report back if you call and go out there. Curious as to what they're asking. I've only ever played TOM virtually on my phone, which doesn't really count - but I enjoy it virtually!

#47 3 years ago

For me TOM is beautiful, but pretty boring. If you like your BTTF and theme is more important than playability, you will be happy with TOM.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Good lord man, have you checked out Houdini? It is a much deeper game than ToM, more stop-and-go, but it’s got some deep references to the man himself, his films, his tricks. Plus the catapult! M
It’s harder than ToM for sure though. I’ve owned all 3. Pinball magic I couldn’t get rid of fast enough. ToM is great but it got old. Houdini remains

Yeah I have been looking at Houdini a bit. But since this is more of a themed piece for me I feel i get more with TOM since it’s got a lot more magic references (cards, levitation, sawing in half, escape, etc).

The Houdini pin is just about the one guy, who I love, but I like how Tom is more broad.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

Yeah I have been looking at Houdini a bit. But since this is more of a themed piece for me I feel i get more with TOM since it’s got a lot more magic references (cards, levitation, sawing in half, escape, etc).
The Houdini pin is just about the one guy, who I love, but I like how Tom is more broad.

My pristine ToM is in storage. Ive owned it many years, played thousands of games on it.

Ultimately after years of playing it one can get to the wizard mode on ball one.

Its a great game but gets old after awhile, especially when you master it.

But its a great game if you are new to pinball, lots of easy shots and combo after combo!
Great multiballs super cool magic tricks and very cool video modes.
Absolutely nothing to dislike at all on this title, in fact tons of things that are special and endearing.

Though in storage, mine is not for sale lol. I'm very fond of it.

Right now I'm playing my Houdini. Difficult to master, very rewarding when you do.
Its a players game. Fun but brutal at times, much like AFM. You love it or hate it, sometimes both!

With a proper setup, Houdini flows like butter and is a joy to play.

I would definitely get a ToM, but seriously look at Houdini as your skills increase.
In a perfect world you would have both games.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Though in storage, mine is not for sale lol.

That sounds like pinball abuse. You need to let that pin go!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
Wanted
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-thoughts/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.