Theatre of Magic - Question about Vanish Lock

By gevan

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have two questions about the Vanish lock on a ToM

1) This question is for when I have a ball locked in the Vanish lock.
- Frequently, if I shoot the left orbit, when the ball passes through one of the Bonus X switches, the game will eject the ball in the Vanish lock and start Tiger Saw Multiball.
- This also happens on occasion after a left orbit shot when the ball gets below the pop bumpers and starts to exit that top right zone.

Is this correct? Based on what I've seen of the ruleset, Tiger Saw Multiball is only supposed to start on a right orbit shot.

2) This question is for when the purple Vanish lock light is lit, but there is no ball in the Vanish lock.
- If I shoot a right orbit shot, the ball will lock, and the game will do its Vanish animation and award 40MM points.

Is this correct? Based on the ruleset, I thought you were only supposed to get a ball locked in the Vanish lock on a left orbit shot.

I've Googled this question and read the message boards, and there seems to be a divergence of opinion on the topic with some saying this is normal operation and others saying this is incorrect. We're using software version 1.3.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Just spoke with a professional pinball player who says this is not normal operation. If you agree, I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to fix the problem.

Thanks!

1 week later
#2 9 years ago

Apologies if a self-bump is poor etiquette.
Just looking for an answer.

Thanks!

#3 9 years ago

Pretty sure this is not the case, the multiball shouldn't start unless you shoot the right orbit (tiger saw multiball), or shoot multiball off of the trunk (not sure on this one)

I will play some ToM tonight and post here again if I remember. Send me a PM if I don't respond by tonight!

#4 9 years ago

My TOM was similar to yours.

I believe that correct operation is to lock a ball for 'vanish' in the left orbit. Start Tiger Saw Multiball only on the right orbit... but that wasn't how mine always worked.

Right orbit shots are supposed to loop around fully, but mine used to sometimes take a bad bounce up top, and come to a stop in the vanish lock. If vanish is lit, I think the software counts it as a lock, which is how I would do it if I was writing the software. But the key point is that I don't think the post to divert the ball comes up when you hit the right orbit, only the left.

I also used to get Tiger Saw multiball starting from the left orbit somtimes (not all the time), but I don't think it was supposed to do that.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from mot:

I also used to get Tiger Saw multiball starting from the left orbit somtimes (not all the time), but I don't think it was supposed to do that.

Same for me. It's a small bonus when playing the game.

#6 9 years ago

All helpful answers. Thanks.

So, it seems like the consensus is that my game is not acting "properly" but that you all experience the same things.

I wonder if there are machines out there that act differently from ours. I also wonder if it can be "fixed" or if it's just a glitch that is part of every game.

Zrbt - I'm interested to find out what your test shows.

#7 9 years ago

Just heard from Zrbrt. His machine also does the random start of Tiger Saw Multiball on some left loop shots.

At this point, it seems that everyone agrees that Tiger Saw Multball shouldn't start on a left loop shot and that Vanish shouldn't happen on a right loop shot.

While that seems to be the agreed-on ruleset, I've been unable to find someone who reports a machine that doesn't do this.

- Does anyone have a machine that doesn't exhibit this behavior?

What I'm trying to figure out is if my machine is acting improperly or if this is "normal" operation that just doesn't match the posted rules.

I'm going to highlight this thread on the ToM owners forum and see if others have answers.

1 year later
#8 7 years ago

Same issue here any ideas for adjustments?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
Wanted
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-question-about-vanish-lock and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.