(Topic ID: 266272)

Theatre of Magic opto problem (secret passage)

By mgpasman

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by slochar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I have a problem with my Theatre of Magic. During gameplay, it constantly registers balls dropping in the trunk, thus engaging multiball. It also randomly pops new balls.

I recorded the mrs when playing a game: https://photos.app.goo.gl/8Rm5JXLqH4R8fEj8A

In switch test it can also be reproduced, by selecting single switch > subway opto, and then just engaging the flippers. You can see it registers the opto about half of the times. First I thought about cleaning or replacing the optos but then I found this topic and decided to test with the other optos, eg in the trough. They also register sometimes during the flipper-test, which explains the random new balls popping.

#2 4 years ago

I have found a topic with a similar problem (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-really-odd-issue-with-trunk-during-multiball) and here it turned out to be bridge rectifiers.

Unfortunately, while I can use a DMM, as soon as components need to be replaced, I am out. So I prefer to test a few things, even swap boards out, if someone could just point me in the right direction. Unfortunately, this is my only WPC-S title. I do have WPC and WPC-95 machines, but I am not sure the driver boards are interchangeable.

#3 4 years ago

On a hunch, I cleaned and reseated the connectors on the opto board (since that board is right next to the flippers, it could very much influence the readings). Two test games in, still no problem!

#4 4 years ago

Driver boards for wpc-89 and wpc-s are interchangeable into the ToM, but depending on the other machine, the other way might not work (-1 driver has additional components on it vs. the -3)

Reseating stuff and having it work just tells you that connectors need some attention. That said, it might work great for years afterwards with just the reseating.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Wanted
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-opto-problem-bridge-rectifiers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.