New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 68865)

Theatre of magic : Magic Hat and spinning card Mod issues

By gameplay

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by meSz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

hat mod instructions.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Hi All

I am sorting out the mods on my TOM and have an issue since I had this machine that the spinning card and leds do not work on the mod. It has 2 sets of leds Blue and green and the card is meant to spin. The leds are connected to the 555 insert for the Sprit card and Hat magic feature. The spriit card feature lites up the green leds and the Hat magic one is meant to lite up the blue and make the card spin. This does not happen> I thought it was a bad connection and replaced the holder but the connection is good and still nothing If I disconnect the wires going to the mod the insert light works but when I connect the wires up again nothing works. I tried reversing the polarity !!NOthing I am also useing leds in the machine. I then connected it to a 9v battery and it spins and lghts up all good. The instructions say to hook it up to where i am hooking it up to so i know i got that correct.

Anyone had the same issues???
Help if you can please

cheers

2 months later
#2 6 years ago

I am having the same problem. I order one and had issues with it studded stepping the sinning card. I contacted the seller one to get we check everything before it goes out and not much of a resolution as he wanted me to send the copy of the invoice which I did not have. So, I ordered another from someone else and I am having the same problems. Your having. Nothing working.

#3 6 years ago

I have the hat mod and had several issues with it. Wound up sending it back to Andy Dreads, out of the UK, several times before he just replace it with a new one. On my machine, the card only spins when the Spirit Card is lit not when the Hat Magic is lit.

#4 6 years ago

I was able to fix mine. I figured out that (Not in the instructions) it does matter which way the lights plug in. I did the 9V battery thing and everything tested fine. So this I just flipped the two sockets with LED in them around and boom it was good to go.

#5 6 years ago

Hopefully your motor lasts a lot longer than mine did. After about 15hours it quit/burned out. Great concept but the design/motor is crap.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

I was able to fix mine. I figured out that (Not in the instructions) it does matter which way the lights plug in.

The one I received had instructions. I scanned a copy that shows it matters as to which way the sockets are to be installed!

Post edited by meSz : Added full instruction sheet

hat mod instructions.jpg
#7 6 years ago

Well, mine didn't have that. Wish I would have had that up front, It sure would have helped.

1 month later
#8 6 years ago

Reviving this thread to see if others have purchased this mod have issues. As I previously stated I had issues with my mod originlly which led to me sending it back to Andy in the UK several times before he wound up replacing it on the third time. Well that replacement has now failed. The card has stopped working.

I have not emailed Andy, who has always been willing to help, as of yet and quit honestly I don't know what he will do at this point. After sending the original back to the UK several time I have paid more than double for the mod. I really like the mod but I just want it to work!!!

Looking to see if others that have this mod have had issues, maybe its just me!!! What voltage should I get for the lights that run the hat mod (Hat Magic and Spirit Card). Maybe my machine is pushing too much voltage to the mod causing the motor to burn out. Looking for anything on my end before emailing Andy yet again!!!!

#9 6 years ago

Those little motors don't last long. No other way about it.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Those little motors don't last long. No other way about it.

Yeah I know they're not the best but man I have gone through three motors already? Seems to me something has to be burning them out especially since I dont leave my games on other than when played. So the life span of these motors has been real short!!!

The motors he uses on these are like the ones here: http://www.hobbyengineering.com/H2532.html He stated that the ones he uses are either 80 or 100 rpm.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Yeah I know they're not the best but man I have gone through three motors already? Seems to me something has to be burning them out especially since I dont leave my games on other than when played. So the life span of these motors has been real short!!!
The motors he uses on these are like the ones here: http://www.hobbyengineering.com/H2532.html He stated that the ones he uses are either 80 or 100 rpm.

Mine burned out within 20 hours of operation. Very disappointing product given the price. Bad form on his part to keep selling it as currently designed without a disclaimer.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

Mine burned out within 20 hours of operation. Very disappointing product given the price. Bad form on his part to keep selling it as it is currently designed.

Thanks for the post as I was thinking it was just me! He even told me once that quality motors were tough to come by. Like you stated, if you know this why would you keep selling them?!?!

As stated, he was more than willing to fix them in the past but it's approximately $15 to ship it back to him each time.

I don't know much about electronics so if someone know of a high quality motor that will work in this mod, please let me know!!! The ones he uses are either 80 or 100rpm. They look like the ones here... http://www.hobbyengineering.com/H2532.html

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Thanks for the post as I was thinking it was just me! He even told me once that quality motors were tough to come by. Like you stated, if you know this why would you keep selling them?!?!
As stated, he was more than willing to fix them in the past but it's approximately $15 to ship it back to him each time.
I don't know much about electronics so if someone know of a high quality motor that will work in this mod, please let me know!!! The ones he uses are either 80 or 100rpm. They look like the ones here... http://www.hobbyengineering.com/H2532.html

I was thinking of wiring the mod to bulbs that don't light very often. As it is now, that motor is spinning constantly when the game is turned on. Doesn't solve the design problem but they would undoubtedly last longer. Does the seller post on Pinside?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

I was thinking of wiring the mod to bulbs that don't light very often. As it is now, that motor is spinning constantly when the game is turned on. Doesn't solve the design problem but they would undoubtedly last longer.

Yeah but what lights would you attach them too? I mean it would need to be lights that also dont light often during attrack mode!

Quoted from kmoore88:

Does the seller post on Pinside?

Not to my knowledge!

#16 6 years ago

Mine does not spin, hasn't since I bought the game. I thought about attempting to fix it but honestly, the LEDs work and I think it looks great, even if it doesn't spin. I do agree though, the seller should stop selling them if the motor fails so quickly.

#17 6 years ago

The motor you link to IMHO is too tall to work in the top hat.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Out-West:

The motor you link to IMHO is too tall to work in the top hat.

Actually I just measured the width and depth of the motor in mine and it is exactly like the one in the link I provided (0.47" by 0.39"). I can't measure the height of the motor as I would need to take it apart but keep in mind that the hat itself is 2"

If anyone else is reading this and has this mod please post your experience with the mod. I am not looking to bash the maker of the mod only looking to see if others are having the same issue or if it's limited to a few!

Appreciate everyone's input.

#19 6 years ago

I looked at the video on e-bay for the mod, the card revolves approximately four times in ten seconds which works out to 24 rpm.

#20 6 years ago

Received the following from Andy regarding my mod failure:

"Sorry to hear that, your should have been bullet proof, resisted to last, the motors are rated 6+ v, that circuit kicks out slightly more, I have a diode in there to drop the voltage by .7v and a resistor in there to drop the current, these are 100rpm but spin slower due to the resistor, the circuit may possibly spin a 12v motor but you would have to try + possibly remove diode and resistor (not easy without hacking the loom), I think the gearboxes on these motors throw up more problems than the motor itself, you can try and get a motor with less gears although this will possibly spin too fast, not had to repair any since yours but these have been selling for about 5 years now so would expect that there are a few out there that have not stood the test of time which is a shame, it was the only motor I have found that was the correct size, RPM and fairly close power rating (the 4 x led on the motor circuit also help lower the amount of power filtering through to that motor) let me know if you find a better replacement, if you get stuck LMK and I will post one out, swapping over is a 2 min job. Regards Andy"

As previously stated the guy is always willing to help out. Just not certain as to why the motor being used is failing (I don't have a electrical background to understand).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 37.50
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside