• Latest reply 4 years ago by isJ
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190507_163526 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Just picked up a ToM and the center inserts are a little raised. I am lowering them now, but I am wondering what I should do about this chip in the straight jacket insert/decal. Sorry the pic is trash, if its helpful I'll shoot another.

Wax it and play and quit being a turd? Any way to touch it up that doesn't involve clearing everything? I read 50 different threads with 50 different responses but I can't make up my mind. Help me Pinside!

I am trying to avoid mylar if I can.

20190507_163526 (resized).jpg20190507_163526 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

... but I am wondering what I should do about this chip in the straight jacket insert/decal.
[quoted image]

TOM playfields are not easy to repair. The gold book area inserts is a hard area to fix. HSA did mine. It still looks great. They did a nice job.
http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/hsa032415tom.html
I remember HSA telling me that they used no insert decals and had to mask off the entire gold area and airbrush it. Either leave it alone, send it out to someone to fix it or buy a new repro playfield.

#3 4 years ago

If I mask this off and airbrush, can clear be feathered in, or is that completely unrealistic? I have a friend who is a professional w an airbrush, however I am not sure if I want to go through the effort of repopulating the whole playfield for this one tiny blemish.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

If I mask this off and airbrush, can clear be feathered in, or is that completely unrealistic? I have a friend who is a professional w an airbrush, however I am not sure if I want to go through the effort of repopulating the whole playfield for this one tiny blemish.

You could try to tint your clear coat to match the gold and then get the playfield level and slowly use an eye dropper to apply until level.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

... can clear be feathered in, or is that completely unrealistic?...

You do not want a hard line in the clear because it will usually chip off on the edges. They do make blending clear that allows you to melt in your new clear into the old clear but these playfields had such thin original clear this may not work so good. The best thing to do is to clear coat the entire playfield. Your going to have unevenness throughout the playfield so leveling the entire playfield with a few coats of clear would be the best.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

You could try to tint your clear coat to match the gold and then get the playfield level and slowly use an eye dropper to apply until level.

This will not work. Clear coat is not made to be tinted like that and you will not get a deep enough gold color to make this work.

#7 4 years ago

Thanks for the input! Bummer it's most likely an all-or-nothing job.

#8 4 years ago

Or... decal and playfield protector lol... I'll let you know how it goes

#9 4 years ago

Are you using a big c-clamp to lower the inserts and gluing them from the bottom? Or something else?

#10 4 years ago

Yup, c clamp / glue them back down.

#11 4 years ago

Just leave it and enjoy it, not every game needs to be perfect. I bet it still plays great.

#12 4 years ago

Yup - that's where I'm at. If there was an approach to "spot treat" it I would be all over it, but I'm not taking the time to totally redo the game just for one small chip that I don't notice in game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-decal-insert-chip?hl=djshakes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.