Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 62 days ago by Dreg604
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

4F8A4FF2-2C9D-4395-9E29-680D8E44519C (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bstyles.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 3 years ago

Agree that the 3d tiger is quite cool.

And as others have already pointed out, many of us already have a motorized blaze.

I purchased mine from Pinball Pro (motorized tiger saw + marquis mirror kit).
http://pinballpro.net/shop/theatre-of-magic-motorized-gold-tiger-saw-blade-w-lighted-marquee-mirror/
Their method of spinning the saw blade is by attaching a blade-shaped plexiglass disk with double-sided tape to a small electronic cooling fan. Well, the double-sided tape wasn't strong enough and my blade fell off one day when I was cleaning the playfield and bumped it. No big deal, right? Wrong. There was no keyhole or centering lug to line it back up. Of course being a mere fraction of a milimeter off-center will cause the blade to vibrate. I contacted PP and returned the assembly for repair. They returned it and guess what -- it was off just enough to vibrate. It has been disconnected ever since. I love the chase lights of the marquis mirror and still use that.

I share this anecdotal story so that you might learn from it and make your mod better.

1) Make sure that whatever mechanism you use to spin the blade can be serviced. If the blade detaches, intentionally or unintentionally from the motor, it needs a centering pin so that it doesn't suffer the same problem as the other kits.

2) Also, please use a variable speed motor -- perhaps a simple potentiometer to dial the RPMs up/down to the user's preference. This was my second biggest complaint with the motorized saw blade from PinballPro - it spun so fast you couldn't tell that it was actually spinning. It just like a round disc. Teeth were only visible when it was at rest. I want to see the saw blade's teeth as it rotates. Maybe others don't. Maybe someone wants to mount a strobe light focused on the spinning saw blade? An adjustable RPM should make everyone happy.

3) Make sure that wherever you connect the motor to the games lamps or PCB, that it wouldn't interfere with the Pinball Pro lighted marquis mirror PCB, which attaches to the bottom area of the CPU board.

I wouldn't worry about the diameter of existing saw blades that people may have installed. The game was built for a specific size and that's what you should care about being compatible with.

Looking forward to being able to purchase some of your ToM mods!
-Brian

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 279.95
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
5,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bstyles.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside