IMG_9247 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9231 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0920 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3296 (resized).JPG
DSCN3295 (resized).JPG
DSCN3294 (resized).JPG
DSCN3293 (resized).JPG
DSCN3292 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nosro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 11 years ago

I feel very lucky to have just picked up a, no kidding, home-use-only Theatre of Magic from the original owner. I can't believe my luck. The machine came with the original envelope that contained the unused manuals, schematics, service bulletins, key-chain fob, stickers, and spare bulbs. It had been so rarely used and rarely serviced that the lock-down bar "beer seal" became glued to the glass and had to be pried off. It also appears to have the original batteries (that did not have an expiration date which are common with modern batteries) which by some miracle did not leak.

I'm in the process of fixing some minor items and cleaning it up. Pictures to follow.

Any advice on removing the ramps for cleaning? Is it as straightforward as finding each screw/bolt and removing it or is there a gotcha?

#42 11 years ago

I like Nilroc's pictures. Perhaps all machine owners in the Theatre of Magic club should post a picture of:
1) Rear cabinet sticker
2) Magic trunk
3) Whole machine picture

#44 11 years ago

Could someone take a picture of the area just to the right of the magic trunk and behind the white stand-up target? I may have a missing post or two and can't find a reference picture.

Like the one below, but lit better.

215180484_90f68fc014.jpg215180484_90f68fc014.jpg

#45 11 years ago

No one noticed in the other thread, but here are some coin door insert graphics to replace those boring "push to reject" inserts:

// Error: Image 85754 not found //

Theatre_of_Magic_coin_door_inserts_bw..pngTheatre_of_Magic_coin_door_inserts_bw..png

#48 11 years ago

Yes, that did it! Thank you. It seems I am missing one post.

#51 11 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

The post I believe your referring to is the Achilles heal of this game. The ball will get stuck between that post and the trunk and will often result in breaking the post off flush with the playfield.

I replaced it with a through-the-field post. Is that better or did I sign up for a different problem?

#55 11 years ago

What is the post part number of the post on the right corner of the trunk.

I purchased this one: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=324
530-5004-00.jpg530-5004-00.jpg

However, in my machine, the threads in the playfield were stripped, so I drilled through the playfield and replaced it with this: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=320
530-5005-00.jpg530-5005-00.jpg

Don't forget the rubber and the nylon locknut if you go with the second post.

1 week later
#57 11 years ago

Finally got around to putting these in.

IMG_20130413_213400_641.jpgIMG_20130413_213400_641.jpg

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

I would like to reset the High Scores on my ToM pinball...
I would like to clear everything and start like new but i d'ont know how,
i have looked in my book but did not found.
Thanks for any help!

Download the manual: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=2845 . More than you would want to know is there, including performing a "factory reset" which is option 8 in the Utilities menu.

You'll then need to set it back to free play, though. This exercise is left to the reader.

#64 11 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I want to rebuild the trunk someday. Have a new one but it's already starting to crack.

Lots of threads about this. (Here's one I started: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reinforce-theatre-of-magic-trunk-anyone-try-duct-tape )

I'm going to try butyl rubber sound insulation (e.g. Dynamat). I just purchased this to put into a new trunk: ebay.com link: NEW 1 Sqft GTMAT Onyx Butyl Real Rubber Automotive Proofing Insulation Deadener

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Isn't there a reset high scores from the utility menu?

Yes, it is "Reset H.S.T.D" option in the Utilities menu. You can even change what the default high scores are in the Adjustments menu.

All menu items are detailed in the manual.

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I just finished putting some LEDs in mine a couple of days ago.

I did a full LED conversion on a different title once (Hurricane) and found that the software liked to blink lots of inserts simultaneously during gameplay, resulting in a nauseating strobe effect.

Do you notice anything like that with ToM and your conversion?

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

Do you guys find the right staircase shot to be the most difficult in the game? Most of my shots get rejected if they are not perfect.

Maybe you and I both suck, but I agree with you.

#82 11 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

This is my second Theatre 0f Magic. Custom LED conversion. Brass Beauty Legs, side rails lockdown bar. Thanks John Popadiuk Jr.

Where did you find a matching set of brass? I had thought only mismatched components from different sellers were available.

#84 11 years ago

A lesson I would like to share: don't adjust the trunk eddy sensor too sensitively. I did so, but what tended to happen is that the sensors would start to self-trigger when the machine warmed up. Should this happen while you have two balls locked and are ready for multi-ball, this can make the machine go a little haywire.

Long story short - I learned that triggering the trunk magnet and the sub ball release simultaneously can exceed the capacity of the shared circuit, blowing the fuse. I'm glad the fuse did its job, but I don't plan on doing anything that blows a fuse too often.

I managed to do this twice before I backed off the adjustment of the trunk eddy sensor a bit more from the edge.

#87 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Don't they have those "improved" eddy boards that don't need adjustment?

Pinbits hasn't stocked those self-adjusting eddy boards for a couple of years now: http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=13_33&zenid=gb18vn4hqlfasapdjg71igh7b1

1 week later
#89 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Ok, so I just adjusted the eddy boards, as I need to do on a regular basis or the magnet fuse blows....

Any chance backing off the adjustment more helps? I blew two fuses before I backed out the adjustment more. I back it out approximately 1 hour on a clock face and I haven't blown a fuse since.

#90 10 years ago

Hope this helps a bit. Lloyd recommends fingernail polish:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/rec.games.pinball/vZaehXCIdZs

#93 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

TOM is a fun game. I have the gold tiger saw and gold mirror with the lights.

That first picture is a bit dim. Can you get a daylight pic? It's too dim to see awesomeness.

#94 10 years ago

I have a dilemma. I need to replace the legs, but don't want to replace the lockdown bar and glass frame. So a full matching bronze set is beyond my ambitions.

What color legs would work best with stock stainless around the glass:
1) stock stainless
2) black
3) gold

#99 10 years ago

Do you mean it is getting stuck under the ramp when it is in the pop bumpers? You might be missing a rubber. Look at this pic: http://www.theteardown.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=70&sessionid=e22b4248f635c4b3282ee842b7929247

Otherwise, I'm having a hard time visualizing how the ball is getting stuck while ON the right ramp. If you can post a picture of the ball stuck in that spot, I'm sure everyone will see what part might be missing.

6 months later
#132 10 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Occasionally, maybe once every ~20 shots, a direct hard shot into the trunk will bounce right back out.

Here's another source:
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=131

If you would like to experiment, find some very good double sided tape and this: http://www.tempurpedic.com/Our-Company/information-kit.asp (this foam REALLY stops the ball dead in its tracks)

#145 10 years ago
Quoted from JONESDS:

Old trunk was chewed up along the bottom, replaced with a NOS trunk. I now seem to get air balls off hitting the trunk... I suspect because it's hitting the molded plastic vs steel of the trunk cage. I tried putting some foam beer seal behind the bottom lip of the trunk but still getting air balls from hitting the trunk. Is this normal and/or is there a way to reduce air balls from hitting the trunk?

Beer seal might be too light/soft against a heavy ball traveling at high speed.

I lined the inside of my trunk with a sample piece of automotive sound deadener (like this: ebay.com link: 2 sqft GTMat Pro 50mil Auto Car Audio Sound Deadener All Vehicles 12 x 12 ). Since this material is designed to absorb vibrations, it had the effect of making the trunk last longer and absorb ball hits better. Be careful though - this material can be a bit gooey to work with.

Alternatively, I had not tried this on the trunk, but Pinbits' dropdead foam is much neater and also absorbs ball impacts.

2 weeks later
#166 10 years ago

jaw-drop-smiley-emoticon.gifjaw-drop-smiley-emoticon.gif

2 weeks later
#188 10 years ago

Don't forget to get a protector. I can't believe how easily the entrance plastic breaks.

2 months later
#287 10 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Trunk cracked after the first few plays. It was fixed with some mylar tape. Not pleased that a "brand new" trunk breaks this easily - but understand that it can be reinforced.

I lined the inside of a new trunk with automotive sound deadener (e.g. Dynamat or equivalent; I purchased a single sheet of "GTmat" from Ebay) and it survived plenty of hits with no cracks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 11.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nosro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-club?tu=nosro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.