IMG_9247 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9231 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0920 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3296 (resized).JPG
DSCN3295 (resized).JPG
DSCN3294 (resized).JPG
DSCN3293 (resized).JPG
DSCN3292 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mesz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

3 weeks later
#242 10 years ago
Quoted from mot:

Yeah, I've seen that. I just hate paying $10 shipping for one part. I may hold off and see if I can pick one up at the Ohio Pinball Show later this month.

If you're not in a hurry you can still place your order and tell Marco to send out everything once its in stock!

#251 10 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Add me to the group.
The one thing I've noticed on a lot of these pictures...it seems that a lot of the machines are missing this:

DSC_9254.JPG 168 KB

My machine has that but is this something that was an OEM part?

2 weeks later
#264 10 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I have only found the combo mod Saw and Marquee.Pinball Decal has them at 299 .I would love to put the saw mod on mine to finish off the restoration but I have no desire to own the mirror.

I thought the same but must admit after getting the mirror I would recommend it. It adds to the game and interacts with the different phases of the game.

#272 10 years ago
Quoted from violinfather:

Maybe I should have been more specific in my post. I just don't want to buy something that is not working more than it is working. I realize that there are no guarantee's however I do want to play my pin. I am quite intrigued by the mechanical operation of these games and have no issue in tinkering and problem solving but I would like to play my TOM.

Again, you're in the wrong hobby! ALL machines need work. If you look at all the post under TECH on Pinside you will see people looking for help on EM games as well as games that they just bought out of the box!

I have a TOM and had very good luck with it. Nothing major. I actually find changing rubbers and bulbs on the game to be harder than working on it. Some of the bulbs and rubbers aren't easily accessible!

#277 10 years ago
Quoted from violinfather:

I don't know of any as I am brand new to this hobby however the comments of some like "you are in the wrong hobby" does not instill confidence.

As much as you hate to turn off anyone to a hobby that you enjoy pinball is different! A lot of people want to have a pinball machine but have no desire to work on them. If that is the case then you may be in the wrong hobby unless you're willing to pay someone to fix or maintain your machine for you.

As kporter stated "its the luck of the draw". You and I can go out and buy the same machine in excellent condition but your machine may wind up with issues and mine works fine.

For a lot of people on this site fixing machines is more of a hobby than playing them. I for one love finding a machine that is non-working and bringing it back to life. I put all the time and money into the machines and then my 15 year kicks my *&* when we play!!!

This hobby gets to be addictive. Everyone starts out with one machine and the next thing you know you're driving 8 hours to pick up another and then having one shipped from 4 states away etc. It's a great hobby and one that can be very expensive but again it goes back to "do you want to learn how to work on them or not and, if not, are you going to pay someone to fix them for you". If you answer no to both of those question you may want to reconsider buying one!

#279 10 years ago
Quoted from kporter946286:

Back to my earlier question. Does anyone here have the hat/card mod, if so which one did you buy and do you like it? I want to start doing some Mods to my TOM, looking at all of them, I like the Saw/mirror, Tophat w/ card, and clock mods. Can you guys with TOM mods give me some insight. I see alot of people saying they have this one or that one but not much feedback on if it makes the experience better or if its worth doing

I like the Hat Mod and purchased it from Andy Dreads. He is the one that makes them and are also the ones, I believe, Joey sells on his site PDI Pinball Decals, I really like the way the hat looks as well as interacts with the game. I did have an issue with my hat as it malfunctioned a few years after purchase but Andy was great to deal with and fixed it. After fixing it the motor in it died shortly after getting it back. Went back to Andy and he wound up just sending me a new one which I have not had issues with since (about a year now). If you come down to the Pittsburgh area and want to see it let me know!

Here is Andy's info:
Judge Dreads Pinball
[email protected]

Post edited by meSz: Added contact info

#282 10 years ago

Actually coming down tomarrow, Its my birthday today and My Twin Sister lives in Bridgeville

I am NE (Murrysville) of the city so it's a little bit of a drive from Bridgeville. If you get a chance and like macaroni and cheese (dont stop reading just yet) go to a place called Sauce (http://saucepgh.com/) in Bridgeville. They have a "build you own mac n cheese" plate and the stuff is great. I am actually taking my son there on Saturday for his birthday as thats where he wanted to go for lunch!

#284 10 years ago

I am sorry to say I am doomed to a Chuck E Cheese Birthday. Its kinda weird. My Wife is a twin as well her B-day is 03/11, My son's is 02/24 and my Twin sister's daughter is 03/14. So we are celebrating 5 Birthdays at once at Chuck E Cheese haha. We come down alot so I will make sure on my next visit we stop by Sauce!!

No problem at all and I do feel your pain as my wife, son and I have b-days on the 3rd, 7th and 9th of March. Luckily I am beyond the Chucky Cheese years!!! Best advise I can give you is to start drinking before you go and then continue to drink once your there!!!

#290 10 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

I like the Hat Mod and purchased it from Andy Dreads. He is the one that makes them and are also the ones, I believe, Joey sells on his site PDI Pinball Decals, I really like the way the hat looks as well as interacts with the game. I did have an issue with my hat as it malfunctioned a few years after purchase but Andy was great to deal with and fixed it. After fixing it the motor in it died shortly after getting it back. Went back to Andy and he wound up just sending me a new one which I have not had issues with since (about a year now). If you come down to the Pittsburgh area and want to see it let me know!
Here is Andy's info:
Judge Dreads Pinball
[email protected]

Okay so I jinxed myself.....played my TOM today and the hot mod is no longer working properly. The card is not spinning at all. Again, love the mod idea but for me this has been the most problematic mod I have had on any of my machines. I have returned the original to Andy 3 times where the 3rd time he just sent me a new one. Now the new one has failed!?!?!?!? Anyone else encounter issues with this???

1 week later
#294 10 years ago

Does anyone recall who sold the Wand mod? This is the wand with the lighted tip and when you get Hocus Pocus lit the wand also lights?

#296 10 years ago
Quoted from PC-Pin-NC:

You can find it here and here - different prices and countries of origin:
ebay.com link » Theatre of Magic Pinball Machine Mannys Floating Wand Mod And Free Apron Cards
http://pinballdecals.com/TOM_MagicWandPage.html

Thanks, this helped me track down my email to him purchasing it. Unfortunately the wand is no longer lighting up!

10 months later
#391 9 years ago
Quoted from Bhashem:

I have 1.4H installed right now

Is there somewhere that shows the benefits of having 1.4 (Shiftedbits)?

The ColorDMD is nice for TOM. Only drawback is that it's not bright as the DMD but it's my understanding they're working on this!

#393 9 years ago
Quoted from tdunbar:

My Golden TOM, ordered Gold Balls and Gold Flipper buttons but buttons on back order from Pinballdecals.

Are you going to use the gold ball(s) for play or in the trap ball area? A lot of people complain about them flaking. I do have one in the trap ball area and notice gold flakes when I clean the game!

The gold buttons are nice but expect to replace them often as the gold wears off!

#395 9 years ago
Quoted from tdunbar:

Never tried them but they are they brass plated from pinball decals and where 19 bucks each
PDI Ultra Brass electroplated so I will try the four in play and let you know

Please do, be interested to see if you have any issues. Use them for a while, take them out and on a light colored rag wipe them. You should, hopefully you don't, see gold shavings. You can also use a microfiber towel and wipe the playfield down and look for the same thing.

#397 9 years ago
Quoted from Bhashem:

I used the 1.4H ROM in order to support the tiger saw mod. Purchased my ROM's from Action Pinball (http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=ROMS349). Note that you also need a replacement security PIC/U22 chip. Here are the full notes on the 1.4 Home ROM and what it has - http://www.actionpinball.com/tech/tom.txt.
An update, I received a quick email from Randy from ColorDMD that 1.4H ROMs should be OK to use - it's just that their reference animations were based on 1.3X. So assuming there are no additional animations or frame differences - it should work fine.

Thanks for the info! I have 1.3 in my TOM but I also have the Tiger Saw mod. When you turn your machine on do you actually see version 1.4 show on the screen?

3 weeks later
#402 9 years ago
Quoted from Paddypaws:

Hi Fellow Theatre of Magic fans! Just bought one and its a great game!. it nice condition too! Mine is standard no mods yet. I noticed my roms are old v 0.8. Is it worth upgrading and to what version? How many chips do i need? What extra/fixes does an upgrade give? Should I go for 1.3 or 1.4h?

TOM2.JPG 275 KB

TOM3.JPG 271 KB

TOM.JPG 272 KB

Congrats Paddy now buy the ColorDMD, you wont regret it!

3 months later
#455 8 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I'm new to pins and just picked up a TOM. Could someone explain this 1.3/1.4 stuff? What does it do,where do you get it....

They're referring to the version of software. So the 1.4 is a newer version then the 1.3. Pinball companies often release a machine where the software is either incomplete or there are bugs that need worked out. When this happens the pinball company will release an update. For Theatre of Magic you can see the versions at http://www.actionpinball.com/tech/tom.txt

When you turn your machine on look at the display and you will see what version you have!

With newer machines, Stern for example, you can simply go to their website, download the latest version onto a memory stick and then update your machine. For Theatre of Magic you will need to ROM. You can ask a Pinsider with a burner to do this for you or you can get one off of ebay!

One thing to keep in mind, sometimes the latest update is not always the best update to have! TOM is one machine where some people like 1.3 version over 1.4 and vice versa.

#457 8 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

but if you want to have a working tiger saw, don't you need 1.4 ?

That was my understanding but I have the working tiger saw and am running the 1.3 version. My saw spins when I hit the Tiger Saw stand up (when lit) but maybe by having the 1.3 I am not getting all of the features that I would if I had 1.4?

I know you need the 1.4 if you install the "Magic Post".

#459 8 years ago

The "Magic Post" was planned for ToM but the idea was scrapped before the machine went into production. The "Magic Post" is exactly like the "Up Post" on Bally's Power Play (BOPP) machine.

"OPTIONAL: Magic Post (working up-post between flippers) and working Tiger Saw
unit (motorized unit) which are operated by this software revision. These devices
were originally present on prototype (pre-production) models of Theatre of Magic,
so most games do not have them. An aftermarket spinning Tiger Saw kit is available
from some aftermarket sources which connects to the game and works with the
1.4H software revision (check eBay, Google search, etc. for sources)"

4 months later
#550 8 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Didn't get to finish it exactly how I wanted because I ran out of bulbs....
tom3.jpeg
tom4.jpeg

What bulbs did you use?

3 months later
#742 8 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Not only did it fix the ghosting, but suddenly I saw what my lights would looks like when properly fading and dimming

JSA can you advise as to what fading you see or even throw up a video showing this? On the fence about buying this and would like to see.

4 months later
#928 7 years ago

check out this ebay listing for the trunk ebay.com link: THEATRE OF MAGIC TRUNK Bally Pinball Part NOS

The ColorDMD being out of stock is not too uncommon. Just buy it direct from ColorDMD, if they have it in stock!

1 month later
#984 7 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

Its cool but not for me. I think it needs to look a little classier for that game.

Agree! My TOM has six mods on it and they all tend to blend in with the game. To me this mod sticks out too much. Also, would look better if the wires were out the back. Just an opinion!

#990 7 years ago
Quoted from Goalie:

Yeah, that looks awesome. I'm surprised no one else has cashed in on that.

I sent the link to Mezelmod to see if they maybe they would do one!

2 months later
#1119 7 years ago
Quoted from nickbuol:

So dome up, or dome down?
Thanks.

Dome down or the ramp that goes over it will not sit correctly!

2 weeks later
#1153 7 years ago

Looking for LED ideas for the backglass! Found a few post on Pinside but they were older so looking for input on what the best LEDs to use for the backglass! Also, if you can advise as to the colors used! Pictures would be great as well!

#1158 7 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

I just did mine I can post a pic with the glass off when I get home I used mainly bright white but put a few colored in specific spots also I added to slow fade color changers behind the top in the bottom of the saw to give it a spinning effect

Yeah if you would let me know what colors you used where and the LEDs you used would appreciate it!!

Also just had my wireforms and spirt ring brassed

I had bought one of the Spirit Rings that someone, I forget who, made. It's one piece and plated!

IMG_6753[1] (resized).JPGIMG_6753[1] (resized).JPG

#1161 7 years ago
Quoted from Goalie:

Where can I get one of those spirit rings?! Mine is all chewed up

The nice thing about these compared to the original is it's one piece! The original is two pieces. I bought mine back in 2012 and it cost me $103 including shipping. The plating was done by Mike Chestnut! I forget the guy's name that did them but if you want PM me and I can give you his email address. You can reach out and see if he's still making them. I would assume the price has gone up if he is!

#1167 7 years ago

Here is a pic of what I used the 2 to the left of the red are the slow fade color changers one is a flex smd 5050 one is a normal smd 5050

Thanks for the picture! Who did you buy the LEDs from?

#1175 7 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Here is mine (it's a mixed mutt bag of LEDs!)
Cointaker warm white for all whites
Cointaker 4 + 1 for the Reds (3). for the white at the top (1), for the blue at top left (1) and for the yellow left center (1)
Comet 4 SMDs for oranges in center (3 of them)
Row of orange 1 SMD along top (except for 1 white, see diagram)
Flex blue in lower right corner, bent to point toward upper left corner
Flex blue left center, bent to point toward upper left corner
Comet Green 4 SMD in lower left
Cointaker purple in lower right but thinking of changing to blue 2 SMD for added blue on female magician
Note that the 4 SMD Comets are much brighter that the 4 +1 Cointakers - not good or bad just important to note as you apply them

Thanks a lot for the pics and details! I may wind up mixing it up between yours and Drewblood's! Question is....will the LEDs look good when they come out with the 3D Translites?

1 week later
#1197 7 years ago
Quoted from nickbuol:

I found some guy who goes by the name tzpb93 talking about having some of these 5 years ago:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/VJrGwz8IkYA
I revived that old post to see if I get a response.
Not sure how else to get in touch with the guy, but that one is so much nicer than the stock welded ones that came stock with the game...

Yeah if you go to the below URL you can scroll through the 4 pictures he has on photobucket. Shows the finished product as well as before it's plated. Like I said, all on piece and really nice!
http://tinyurl.com/z6chlop

#1200 7 years ago
Quoted from nickbuol:

Yup. Did that, tried to find a way to contact him via Photobucket, but that isn't possible it seems, so I am at a standstill.

Sit tight, I gave another Pinsider the email address and he has emailed already asking if these are still available or if more can be made! Hopefully more to come!

1 month later
#1346 7 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

In the club! Quick question regarding trunk Eddy board...
Mine needs constant readjustment (every couple games trunk stops registering). I want to slap in an auto sensing one but pinbits is out of stock. Is it worth the wait, or should I just order a new standard one from Marcos?

Contact Pinbits as when I purchased mine from them it showed "out of stock" but they advised me when they were getting more in! The Pinbits are the way to go! Since installing mine I have never had to do anything with them and they've worked flawlessly!

1 week later
#1386 7 years ago
Quoted from doodlesdaddy:

I use all Titan Pinball frosted LEDs. No flex. Seems super bright. Mostly color matched to inserts and more purples for the GI. I'm happy with it and only cost maybe $80 total. I can't imagine them being any brighter

With all the LEDs do you still have the lights dimming feature or is that no longer?

1 month later
#1504 7 years ago

I know someone posted about how they installed their LED OCD into a TOM but now I can't find it! Anyone??? The poster had pics and what not showing how he installed it and it was a little different then what comes with the instructions!

#1505 7 years ago

dup

#1508 7 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

its pretty similar to » YouTube video
I watched that then installed it on my NGG then my TOM with no problem.
the only difference was how the dmd mounted to the panel.

hocuslocus if your post was in response to my question I was looking for OCD LED not the ColorDMD.

#1510 7 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

ahhhh. sorry misread the post, yeah I installed a led & GI ocd on my NGG but not on my TOM yet.

Yeah and I just seen the other day a post where someone installed it on their TOM and have some really good pics and insight damned if I didn't add it to my favorites and now I cant find the bloody post!!

2 weeks later
#1561 7 years ago

Installed the GI OCD board in my TOM from HERG. Really like the idea of having the dimming effect back in the game with the LEDs! The board was very easy to install and the software is just as easy to load and use! Also, thanks to DREWBLOOD for the input on what LEDs to use (Comets).

#1568 7 years ago
Quoted from MajorHavoc:meSz (or should we call you Pleepleus? lol)
Do you have info you could share about your LED conversion? ...Supplier, how many of each type, etc. I would like to convert my ToM to LED.
Thank you!

meSz Theatre of Magic

No problem at all as I went off of what Drewblood419 did! He provided me with what he did to his! The only thing I did differently was I replace one of the 1SMDT10NWFT with a SLOW BLINKer in the upper most left socket. This is the LED that is behind the BALLY logo. I like that the BALLY logo flashed but would be better to have a FLEX LED as the light is a little low!

Anyhow, below is the order info I used for the backbox and a screenshot that DREWBLOOD419 provided so you can see where each were placed!

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
ToM LEDs (resized).pngToM LEDs (resized).png

#1575 7 years ago
Quoted from MajorHavoc:

Thank you, meSz!! Did you replace the playfield lights?
pinballinreno THANK YOU! Adjusting the eddy did the trick!!

Actually I have had LED in the pf for along time now! One of the main reason for purchasing the GI OCD board from HERG! I just matched the color of the inserts but I did this, as stated, a long time ago so I am now toying with the idea of buying new ones! I originally purchased the Cointaker LEDs and they just aren't the best looking ones!

1 week later
#1596 7 years ago
Quoted from MajorHavoc:

Does the G.I. OCD come pre-programmed? If not, how difficult is programming? And, what's the install like? Any soldering?

It does come pre-programed BUT you can install the software onto a laptop (very easy to do) and go in and program the brightness you want! No soldering involved. All you do is take the board and install it on the inside of the back cabinet on the left side (3-4 screws). Then you take the connectors that go to the lamp board and plug them into the GIOCD. Obviously the plugs go in a certain way and you hook up to power but again its east and HERG provides instructions!

#1605 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

You need both if you upgrade the GI lighting (non colored illumination lights) to LED.

I have just the GI in mine and all lights are LED.

2 months later
#1786 6 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

It pretty much can only go one place I think? Does anyone know the exact number for the part number of the magnet

What type of pinballs are you using? Some people like the plated ones (specifically gold) that dont work with the magnets! Also, some of the high end pinballs wont work!

3 months later
#1913 6 years ago

Yeah I would recommend going by the manual and not what the previous guy did! Also, look at your connector (first picture bottom second connector in from the right - JI21) as it has a bit of burn to it! Pull this out and inspect it. May be best to just replace it with a new one as you can see a previous owner already did some work on it by cutting the connector down by two wires and then adding a new 2 wire connector! It's a 11 pin connector so just get a new one and do it right! Inspect the pins while at it!

As for that 15A car fuse (F109).... that's supposed to be a 5A Slow Blow fuse!! So once you put the right fuse in there you may find a issue or two with the game that cause the 5A fuse to blow!

In case you don't have a manual ...
F106-F111, F113 - 5A S.B. 250v
F101-F105, F116 - 3A S.B. 250v
F112 - 7A S.B. 250v
F114 - 8A 32V
F115 - 3/4A 250v

#1916 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Thanks for the info. Was going through the manual and made a list of the fuses I need. Are you saying that when I put the correct fuse in, it may blow?

It's a very good possibility! The person that put that 15a fuse in there was either using what he had at the time or he put in a high amp fuse to keep a known issue from blowing the 5a fuse! Without the schematics I am not certain that, that 15a fuse is connected to the JI21 connector. If it is then it could explain the connector overheating!

Quoted from Damien:

Also, regarding the JI21 connector, what's involved in replacing it?

Well most people like to swap out the IDC Connector ( http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1603 ) you have with a locking connector like http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3452 . The problem with this is .... you then need a crimping tool to do all the contacts. Might be best to stick with the IDC connector and all you need is the 11 pin connector and the tool (http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1590) to push the wires in!

As for the pins.....if you don't know how to solder than you'll want to skip replacing the pins unless you see damage. If there is damage than send your board out to someone that can do it!

#1920 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Looks good! Mine is hanging out in there too

Same here.....maybe for something that didn't make it to production?!

#1921 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

So should I attempt to replace that car fuse with the proper 5A? What is the worst thing that could happen?

Yeah replace it. If there is an existing issue it will just blow the 5A fuse. Again, might be that the 15a was all the guy had so there maybe no issue at all!

#1924 6 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

This is what makes Pinside great. With all of the negativity in some of the threads it's great to see the forums (and people) doing good.

Actually I have been waiting for the Grammar Police to hit me for my grammatical errors and run on sentences!!

#1937 6 years ago
Quoted from german-pinball:

Your white/green wire should go to Pin 10, but where is your white/&green wire???

GP, Look at his previous pics and you can see the white/green wire is there just that the previous owner cut the connector and now has it setup as two separate connectors, a 9 pin and a 2 pin that make up the 11

#1963 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

take a look at the wiring and see if it looks copacetic.

Not certain on the red/green wire as I would need to look at the manual but I can tell you that your wires being all twisted IS not "copacetic"! The wires should not be twisting like that!

Quoted from Damien:

Sorry I hijacked "your" thread with question, man.

I think what people might be telling you that .... yeah it's fine to post a few tech questions on here but your machine appears to have several issues so you may want to start your own post so you can ask all your questions about your machine! Start a post and title it something like TECH: ToM having several issues or whatever. Up to you!

Another good thing to do is .... use Google images when you want to know is something is right or wrong! Search for playfield images on Google and most of the time you will find an image of the area you're looking into! You can then compare it with what you have!

#1966 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Just took apart my trunk, and I think part of the issue I'm having has to do with the trunk wiring. Was looking up part A-20029, but looks like it's sold out everywhere.
Does anyone happen to have one of these for sale?
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-20029

http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/theatre-of-magic/7685/trunk-cable-for-theatre-of-magic-h-20007.1

Drawback is .... you'll pay more in shipping than the part due to they're overseas!!

3 weeks later
#2082 6 years ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

I think that is just the way the flash hit it. I have some coming in and I will post pics/video/review of the result.

Appreciate you posting your findings as I am on the fence with these! As much as I like the idea the cost is 4 times (124USD) that of the standard ones (31USD) and there is no history on these, other than what the makers put out there! So be interesting to see feedback as, not only, the durability but how the ball comes off the trunk!

1 month later
#2172 6 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

has anyone taken the magnet out of the spirit ring? is it glued in or something?
I kinda wanted to take it apart to clean it and redo the tape job from before. guessing I'd probably rip the plastic lining off the magnet trying to get this out.

Yes it's glued in! I had switched my ring out to the ring that (forget who made them) made out of solid metal and plated them! You can do one of two ways (that I know of)......
1. use a heat gun and heat the top of the ring. This will soften the glue and allow the magnet to come out!
2. You can take a screwdriver and put it in between the ring and the magnet and pry it out! put the screwdriver in and pry gently in several different spots! The glue at this point is probably dried out and will give with a little bit of help!

When I did mine I went with option #2 but I had placed the ring in the freezer in order to freeze the glue! Not sure if this was what did it but I just figured if the glue wasn't dried out freezing it would make it easier to break apart!

7 months later
#2480 5 years ago

Anyone ever experience the audio on ToM fluctuating? During game-play all of a sudden the audio gets real low and then comes back to normal????

#2488 5 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

you have aftermarket speakers?

yeah Pinball Pro speakers. All of sudden this issue started. I have had this game for years with no problem!

2 months later
#2524 5 years ago

Anyone ever encounter their Subway Release Coil stop working? Mine did after moving the machine. It's not working in TEST mode either so figured maybe wire came off but to no avail!

#2527 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Check for a loose connection on one of the back box circuit boards. Refresh the connections on the ribbon cables refresh to connections on all of the cables on all of the boards first.
Use regular troubleshooting procedures following the schematic, then tracing the wire to where it goes or finally ends up.

Quoted from Monk:

Mine did the same thing after moving it in to the house. With mine the magnet for the trunk also stopped working and something else which I can’t remember. It turned out to be a fuse for me. Tested all the fuses with a DMM and found one that was bad. Changed it out and all was good.

Thanks for the replies. It was the F901 Fuse on the Fliptronics board (for anyone else that comes across this issue)

#2535 5 years ago
Quoted from adii:

Anybody? Can someone go check their TOM and take a look? Thanks.

I also have a 6 pin male connector that is not connected to anything. I am assuming it might have been for a feature that was later not added to the game. Notice my wiring is different colors than yours, but that is not uncommon either!

IMG_0207[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0207[1] (resized).JPG
#2538 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Hey guys, looking at a TOM and it has this little board in it:
[quoted image]
Look like it connects over to J125.
[quoted image]
Can anyone tell me what this is all about?

I assume you have the lighted mirror on your game? That's the board that drives the lights in the mirror. . . http://pinballpro.net/shop/theatre-of-magic-motorized-gold-tiger-saw-blade-w-lighted-marquee-mirror/

2 months later
#2604 5 years ago

Anyone interested in a used translite for $75 +shipping? I upgraded to the 3D one and have no further use. Picture is of the translite. The bad, it has 3 rub spots that you can see in the picture but overall in very good condition at half price of a new one! I will use the packaging from the 3D one to ship it in!

NOTE: Upon taking this out of my machine I put it in a plastic sleeve in order to protect it from rubbing against the cardboard. It's in the plastic sleeve in the picture so it will look even better once removed from the sleeve.

The three wear spots.... two are to the right of MAGIC and the third one is to the bottom right of the trunk.

IMG_0599[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0599[1] (resized).JPG
2 months later
#2677 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Before I try to heat up and pry this spirit ring magnet off can someone confirm that it just held on with adhesive?
[quoted image]

I actually put mine in the freezer and popped it off!

#2680 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I suck....
[quoted image]

All you need is a little red Duct Tape and ................ an order to buy a new one!

#2683 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Yep, order placed...

What made you want to take it out? Did you get one of the one piece rings??? That was the reason for me removing mine but I wasn't aware that these were still available!

#2685 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Sending it off with several other parts for brass plating...

Aghhh okay! I bought the solid Spirit Ring that John (I believe) Bitz made. He made them so they were one piece, no welding involved. Looks a lot better then the ones that came with the machine. Also, he had them plated already. Not sure if he still does them or not as I bought mine back n 2012.

1 month later
#2746 5 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

While cleaning the cabinet I found this plastic tube, transparent yellow, lying loose at the bottom behind some cables. Is it supposed to go somewhere in the game or just crap I can throw it away?[quoted image]

Don't recall those being used on ToM. Typically see them on older EM games!

BTW - If you're not aware those are called Lamp Shields or Sleeves. They simply slide over the bulbs (most commonly #44)

#2748 5 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Thanks, no I had no idea, never seen one before. I don't think I've studied any EM game up close, or even played one.
Is it supposed to work as the rubber "condoms" and color the light somewhat or to protect the bulb from ball hits?

Like the condoms .... most of the games I have seen them on they're red, like the ones Marco sells https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-615-R, but I have also seen clear ones like you pictured. Seen numerous ones where they were originally red but over time the color was lost so they were a dingy yellowish color.

2 months later
#2789 4 years ago

Trying to help a local guy out with his ToM. Haven't looked at the game yet but he's telling me that "Power shuts off sometimes and that it ejects all balls into trough". Figured I post here to see if folks with ToM ever experienced these issues. Looking for possible things to check!

5 months later
#2853 4 years ago

Anyone ever come across this issue ........... "Every once in a while if you get multiple events going at the same time it acts a little unpredictably, like maybe lighting Theatre and starting one of the illusions within a few seconds of each other".

1 week later
#2859 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Joe:

Thank you EMBRYON
You got PM

Few things to consider for some of the parts you need.

Opto Interrupter - consider this one as opposed to the plastic one - https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/catalog/product/view/id/6844/s/theatre-of-magic-trunk-opto-interrupter-new/category/156/

Trunk - get the "unbreakable" one - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unbreakable-trunk-for-the-theatre-of-magic

Lastly, consider the Pinbits Eddy boards - https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=13_33

and apologies Embryon, not trying to take a sale from ya.

3 months later
#2913 4 years ago
Quoted from Roveer:

Will take a look. I found the test for the left and right magnet and both worked. Sounds like I need to dial it in. Also (will verify this), I think you need to be in a hokus pokus round for them to be active. I tried setting this mode and neither would trigger. I'll dig into the manual.
Roveer

The magnets and trunk work off "Eddy Boards" and they're finicky. Simple adjustment typically fixes them. It would behoove you to seeing if you can get the game up and working as it will bring more money for you if the machine is working as it should. Maybe advise of your location and a local Pinsider may be willing to come over and help you out. Although this game is not deep in rules it's a great and desired game to have! Get it up and working and then play it .... you may wind up keeping it!

#2920 4 years ago
Quoted from Roveer:

I've noticed something strange with the trunk. First thing is it's still using the plastic opto disk and it is cracked but currently on tight. If I don't sell it this afternoon I'll order the metal disk. So the problem is, the trunk starts out perfectly perpendicular when the game starts. When it rotates it is not perpendicular. Besides it not looking quite right when the magnet grabs the ball and then releases at this slightly strange angle it can often times result in an immediate drain. Is this likely the cracked opto disk or are there adjustments for this? This really is my last problem. Oh, as if I don't keep finding things, I was watching a YouTube video and noticed that then the trap door was opened there was a light underneath. Mine was blown, but now it's working again! So many things to look at and fix...
Roveer

Good to see you got it up and working (almost) 100%. As JustEverett advised get the metal disc and Ingo board. Although you're going to sell the game you can get top dollar for a working one as opposed to one with issues, no matter how small!

4 months later
#3066 3 years ago

Anyone ever experience their buttons on the coin door not working? I wanted to turn volume up but they’re not working so I tried to go into settings and again nothing.

1 year later
#3496 2 years ago
Quoted from SFBP36:

Hey everyone. Joined the club yesterday but she needs some work. Can someone give me the part # for this post? It’s missing on mine and I’m not sure which one it is in the manual. Thanks!
[quoted image]

First of all you can get the manual here ..... https://www.ipdb.org/files/2845/Bally_1995_Theatre_of_Magic_Manual.pdf

as for the post, I have seen different post used in this location. I've see the Single Post Mini Bumper 02-4660 being used. I have seen the post that you use as well but if you look in the manual (page 2-33) you wont see your post listed. So it tells me your post is probably not the original one. The one I have seen the most is 02-4659-1 Mini Post .... and it's in the manual. Just not sure which one is right!

Back to your question, here's the post you're looking at https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-1-metal-post-with-groove.html
If you go with this post you will also need the screw to hold it in place. You'll also want to check on the underside of the playfield to make sure the t-nut is still there.

#3498 2 years ago
Quoted from SFBP36:

Great, thanks for that. The photo is from ipdb, not mine. My game has nothing there. Makes sense that I couldn’t find it in the manual since it’s not original. I’ll go with the 02-4659-1. Thanks!

I looked on HEP's site and he used the post that shows in the picture you posted. Let more people chime in.

#3499 2 years ago

So found a picture of my machine (it’s back East so I couldn’t look at it)……8C12F243-FCAA-4767-83F2-4A073ACA36B0 (resized).jpeg8C12F243-FCAA-4767-83F2-4A073ACA36B0 (resized).jpeg

So forget my previous post and go with your original thought.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 11.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mesz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-club?tu=mesz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.