IMG_9247 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9231 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0920 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3296 (resized).JPG
DSCN3295 (resized).JPG
DSCN3294 (resized).JPG
DSCN3293 (resized).JPG
DSCN3292 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kingmixer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2896 4 years ago

Hi all, newbie here with a question:

When a game on my Theatre of Magic ends, I don't hear the game end music. "Game Over" appears on the DMD to silence. I can't seem to find a setting for this in the manual. I do have the match turned off - would that have anything to do with it?

Also, I tried to use the "sound and speech" check in utilities, but I kept hearing just three things over and over. Isn't it supposed to run me through all the music and all the speech?

Any help you can give would be... helpful! Thanks.

#2898 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

I've noticed the thing on my sound and speach check too, so I'm guessing that is normal...not sure about the end of game sound...try turning off the match option?

Turns out that was the answer. I turned match back on, and the music I was looking for was there. So I guess it's the "match music," only heard if the match is enabled.

Thanks for your input.

1 year later
#3297 2 years ago

Here's a generic newbie question for you TOM owners.

First, some background.

I've got the aftermarket easy-to-adjust "You Have The Magic" magnet eddy boards installed, and I find that every month or so, the machine tells me to adjust the right one. I do, and all is well.

So a few days ago, I see the credit dot, test says to adjust the right eddy board. No problem. I do it (pretty sure properly!), but this time the credit dot remained, still telling me to adjust that same board. I went around this way three times, adjusting and the game telling me it wasn't adjusted. But the fourth time, there was a credit dot, but the test said I should do the trunk test (nothing about the eddy board). I do the trunk test (the trunk worked fine), and then the dot went away. BTW, I manually tested the right "YHTM" magnet after the second time it said it needed adjustment, and it seemed to be working properly. The game has been fine, with no credit dot, for a few days now, and everything is working as it should.

So my question is: why would the game ask me to adjust two different things (even after I just adjusted it!) that didn't need adjustment? Is this a thing? Or am I missing something? As I said, I adjusted the eddy switch the way I always have done with no problems. (turning the screw until the LED goes out)

Thanks all!

Frank

#3299 2 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I'm sorry I don't have a direct answer to your question, just want to give my input on the issue in general.
I had lots of trouble with both outlane sensors needing constant readjustment, finally got bored of all that and bought the aftermarket "self adjusting" sensor boards (they calibrate themselves automatically every time game boots up) and since then I've had no problem. Yes, the boards aren't cheap, but well worth it in my opinion. Just giving you a hint they exist if you didn't know.

Thanks, you're right, I didn't know about the self adjusting boards. If they're that pricey, sounds like I'll wait until I need to replace the ones I've got.

But great info, thanks for replying.

6 months later
#3436 2 years ago

Newbie back again, looking for help!

I need to replace my "vanish" lock switch, and have a few questions:

First, does anyone have the part # and/or the best place to buy the vanish switch?

Second, the manual (and the game itself) shows a vanish lock 1 and vanish lock 2. I never knew of a second vanish lock until I saw it in the manual. Never ran across it playing the game. Does anyone know why vanish lock 2 is in the game? Is it something they decided not to use at the last minute?

And if vanish lock 2 is in fact unnecessary, can I use the vanish lock 2 switch to replace the vanish lock 1 switch?

TIA for any info.

Frank

7 months later
#3687 1 year ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Replacing batteries with nvram is a good advice but beware that the soldering required is tricky and you risk ruining the cpu board if not really careful. As a person seemingly new to pins I suggest you let a professional do the RAM to NVRAM replacement for you.

And of course, the other option to save your boards is to stay with batteries, but move the battery holder to the sidewall of the backbox. This way if your batteries do leak somehow, they won't damage any boards.

3 weeks later
#3701 1 year ago

I've got a tech problem that I hope you guys can help me with. My TOM was working fine when I left for vacation 6 days ago, but now i'm back and...

After ball one, no ball comes out for ball two. I don't hear the game trying to kick the ball out, just nothing. So I open the coin door, and manually kick a ball up. During this ball, I shoot into the trap door, and again, the ball doesn't come out. No sound of it trying to kick the ball out. Two rounds of ball search, and everything kicks except the trap door. So the ball is still under there. I turn off the game, turn it on again, hoping the game might kick it out. Nope, I start a game and get "Ball Missing," the game goes into ball search, again with everything kicking except the trap door.

I'm assuming my trough issue and trap door issue are related, no? Anyone know what could be causing this? Thanks!

Frank

#3703 1 year ago

Update on my TOM problem. I removed the ball from the trap door and put it back in the lower trough. Now when I start a game, the game comes to life, but no ball is fed to the shooter lane. Just nothing. Hope you can help. Thanks.

Frank

1 week later
#3707 1 year ago
Quoted from EStroh:

I think you problems aren't related. For the issue of the game not starting, first check if the balls are magnetized. When this happens they don't feed into the trough correctly... the kind of "stick together" and won't roll. Take the balls out and put them on a flat surface. See if they have a tendency to want to stick together somewhat. If they are magnetized the effect will be subtle. If they aren't magnetized, check your trough switches. Take all the balls out and just roll one down the trough while in switch edge test. Make sure it registers at each switch location.

Thanks for the suggestions. Turns out it was an easy fix, a blown fuse that was for both the trough and the trap door. I replaced the fuse, everything was fine.

Frank

10 months later
#4128 9 months ago

OK, I've got a problem that I'm hoping you guys can help with. This might get long, but I wanna give you all the info I have so you can make the best diagnosis.

A about a month ago, if I played my TOM every day, I had no problem. But I found that if I left my TOM off for a few days or more, when I turned it on, I'd have a credit dot: do Trunk Test. I did the trunk test, the test showed no problem, when I got out of test mode, credit dot was gone, game was fine. This happened a few times, same result each time.

A few days ago, same thing happened with the credit dot, but this time when I did the trunk test, the trunk only moved a quarter of an inch each way in either direction. I "rocked" it quickly back and forth with the two buttons, and it loosened itself, tested fine, game was fine.

The last thing (possibly unrelated) is that now the trunk is not registering hits.

So anybody know what's going on here? Trunk motor? Eddy board? Opto Wheel Interrupter?

Thanks in advance for your help.

#4130 9 months ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

What’s the overall condition of your machine KingMixer ? Like was it ever partially restored or anything?
My first hunch is it sounds like the trunk motor is maybe getting a bit gunked up and needs to be cleaned.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-your-tom-trunk-is-acting-up-clean-the-gear-boxjunk-in-the-trunk

Overall condition is very good. I'm a newbie, who bought the game from a top restoration guy. So yes, there was a lot of restoration done, over and under the hood. Not sure if the motor was replaced. I do know the trunk eddy board was upgraded.

#4134 9 months ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

See https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs/page/27#post-7581890 for a domestic US alternative.

See https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs/page/27#post-7634936 for an alternative (but does not include the Leon fix) that uses 5mm (instead of 3mm) slotted optos.

Trunk eddy board was updated by previous owner. Not sure how long ago, it might need replacing again. The Tangletech boards are great - I updated the two outlane magnet eddy boards with them.

#4135 9 months ago
Quoted from oradke:

Are your batteries OK?

Yes, batteries were replaced less than a year ago.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kingmixer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-club?tu=kingmixer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.