IMG_9247 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9231 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0920 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3296 (resized).JPG
DSCN3295 (resized).JPG
DSCN3294 (resized).JPG
DSCN3293 (resized).JPG
DSCN3292 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goalie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#831 8 years ago

Re-joined the club today!

Is this right? It doesn't look right.

IMG_2002_(resized).jpgIMG_2002_(resized).jpg

#834 8 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

No it does not. There is way to much dirt there.

I know, it just got here and it's filthy all over. I'm Just wondering what the correct post and plug are.

#835 8 years ago

Were the gold wire ramps powdercoated from the factory or were they plated?

2 months later
#922 7 years ago

The moving tiger saw is a must.

1 month later
#978 7 years ago

How do you remove the magnet core from the spirit ring assembly? I want send it out to get plated

#979 7 years ago

Is it glued onto the ring?

1 week later
#985 7 years ago

I'm surprised no one has made a 3D tiger to replace the flat plastic.

#989 7 years ago

Yeah, that looks awesome. I'm surprised no one else has cashed in on that.

2 months later
#1159 7 years ago

Where can I get one of those spirit rings?! Mine is all chewed up

3 weeks later
#1214 7 years ago

Use the Stern metal ones. If you use the plastic pincab protectors they will wrinkle your decals

#1222 7 years ago

Ron brassed the entrance ramp on mine including the flap. Looks awesome

2 weeks later
#1291 7 years ago

I believe that goes on the right post on the right ramp, holding down the end of the clear plastic.

2 weeks later
#1365 7 years ago

It says 124 on it so I'm going to guess J124.

Quoted from Robl45:

Anyone know if this connector should be connected? I'm guessing probably yes, but its been disconnected and everything seems fine.

2 weeks later
#1410 7 years ago

Got my 3D translite today. Wow it's awesome, really well made and has a great 3d effect. Highly recommended.

3 months later
#1699 7 years ago

I would buy one

5 months later
#2100 6 years ago
Quoted from Litedpinballmods:

Here are some pictures of the opaque tiger. Is this the colors and paint you are looking for? It has white under the face and a few other areas. It has red lights for the eyes, but they did not line up in this prototype, it is giving us some problems. These lights will require more work, may be a few ($10) dollars more.
That is also the second version of the theater mask.
Once we get this tiger right, I will post here and start a separate thread.
Dan

I personally would prefer to not have lights in the eyes. So maybe an option, or at least a color option.

To me the stripes and the paint on the face look weird. Look at the stripes on this picture. Long lines on the body and very few near the paws/forearm. A lot more white on the face and eyes, and belly.

Also the toes on the paws are spread too far apart.

584181fda6515b1e0ad75a33 (resized).png584181fda6515b1e0ad75a33 (resized).png

4 years later
#3713 1 year ago

I’m trying to rejoin the club if anyone has a good quality example they’re looking to part with.

2 weeks later
#3749 1 year ago

Happy to say I just rejoined the club, but having an issue with the basement. If the balls are locked and multiball starts, the basement kicks out 2 balls, but fails to kick out the 3rd. The basement opens and closes but no ball. After 1 ball drains, the basement kicks out the 3rd ball.

It’s on rom 1.3. I haven’t seen it fail to kick out a ball in any other scenario. I’m not seeing anything in the subway that would hold it up.

#3753 1 year ago
Quoted from 2pupPinz:

Double check the subway where plastic portion meets the metal portion (trap door side). Plastic should be inside metal portion so the ball doesn’t get hung up on the edge/transition. If all looks good then a slight switch adjustment may be needed.

Thanks, i’ll check it out.

#3754 1 year ago

Ok it looks like the 3rd ball is getting stuck on the last switch on the left side. I will try to bend it a bit.

Next, the light on the trunk doesn’t work. I’m pretty sure this unplugged wire is the reason. But I cant find a matching plug for it. Any ideas where it goes?

22D755EC-36CE-411E-AB5C-BA3169933BD0 (resized).jpeg22D755EC-36CE-411E-AB5C-BA3169933BD0 (resized).jpeg
#3758 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Top left corner of your first picture there is a connector not plugged into anything. A square one that is 2x2 inside (or maybe it’s 2x3). I just noticed on my own game the other day this isn’t plugged in either. What’s the story with that connector? What was it supposed to be used for?

This is the third ToM I own. They have all had that square plug unplugged.

#3761 1 year ago

I’m still dealing with the basement not kicking out balls in multiball. I bent the wire on the last switch and it didn’t make a difference. I have to shake the machine super hard side to side in order for the ball to feed into the basement mechanism. If the balls are magnetized would they stick to the switches? I’ll try swapping them out just in case.

#3763 1 year ago

Yeah all the switches register. The balls get physically stuck. I’m guessing the first ball feeds fine because it has momentum. Once all three stack up, the 3rd ball gets stuck on switch 3 because it’s trying to move from a stop or slow speed. Which is why I’m wondering if the balls being magnetized is making them stick together or to the switch or something else.

#3765 1 year ago

I tried increasing pitch today, didn’t help. Maybe i’ll try adding more, it’ll be past 7 degrees at that point.

#3767 1 year ago

This machine is turning out to need more work than advertised.

Trunk light- Thanks for the pics 2pupPinz it helped me trace the wires, found the plug that matched bundled inside the nest of wires. Plugged it in… light still doesn’t work.

Bent the wires on the switches in the basement ball lock trough. It’s hard to move the ball through the switches with my fingers. The balls get stuck between the first and second switch. I wonder if the right switches are installed. Are they supposed to be long flat blade switches, like the ones used on spinners? Right now it has big hook switches like the rollover kind.

While testing the trough, the trunk stopped registering hits. Then I ran a ball over the left outlane sensor and the trunk registered a hit. It does have auto eddy boards installed. I can’t get it to happen every time. Anyone dealt with this?

The balls were magnetized, so I swapped them out.

1 week later
#3773 1 year ago
Quoted from 2pupPinz:

Sounds like the ones there are the correct type of switches (similar to rollover switches, not the flat spinner ones). They should offer some resistance but not too much (that’s the fine line I had to deal with on mine and did take about 5 tries to get it right). Keep adjusting the bend in the thinner wire area but mind how the lower portion of the switch hits the next switch in the line as they come close together.
Regarding the trunk lamp: simple things first, make sure bulb is good and connection is made inside the socket with the bulb’s blade wires. If lamp and socket look good then problem is with connection or continuity further upstream.
Regarding the auto eddy trunk and outlanes: that’s odd, never had that but try reseating the connections to the boards as they sometimes are loose and if it still happens I assume something is connected incorrectly under the playfield.
It was a bit frustrating having to keep tweeking the switches, but you’ll get it and be happy when you do

Ok closing the loop on this one. here are the things that resolved the problems:

Ball getting stuck in the subway trough. Bending the wire on the first switch to be just a little flatter, fixed it. Not a big bend just slightly.

The trunk registering hits when the magna saves turned on- The connector on the harness to the trunk eddy board was bad. It detected hits from the vibration. New plastic connector on the wires fixed it

Thanks for the help.

#3783 1 year ago

My machine came with a pretty terrible tiger blade, I think they tried wrapping it with gold colored vinyl, and it did not work. Does anyone have specs or a link to the real metal saw blade replacement?

#3786 1 year ago
Quoted from Frogroar:

My ToM had a terrible tiger blade too, but I bought the plastic version (https://www.bestofpinball.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=12626) that looks like the original, 'cause I'm not sure I want a real metal cutting tool in an expensive wooden cabinet...

Thanks, I would rather have a real one instead of the plastic. It's not like it's attached to a circular saw with enough torque to start cutting the cabinet into scrap.

#3788 1 year ago
Quoted from Frogroar:

Haha, no, you're right, but it stressed me out anyway.
The real ones I saw in the past are just blades bought in a hardware store...

Yeah I guess I'm just looking for size and arbor, or if there's a particular brand and model that fits best or doesn't have a lot of branding text on it.

#3799 1 year ago
Quoted from Indypin:

Hey TOM owners, I have a problem.
Okay, I'm playing the pin and I lock the 2nd ball. Afterwards the game goes quiet and the color display shows the animation of the magicians throwing the electrical bolt on stage starting the multiball mode. The trunk also does not rotate to the magnet in order to shoot for the 3rd lock, but it operates fine during the rest of the game. Again, no sound during all of this. The pin then goes to multiball mode with no sound but it picks up fine after the last drain.
I checked the batteries thinking maybe some type of corrosion did this, but they're fine.
Any ideas?

What does it do in test mode, does it turn all the way? Go in switch test and see if the trunk registers the hit when it’s turned

#3804 1 year ago

Color matched inserts look good, color matched GI looks bad. For GI I would go all soft white. LED OCD and GI OCD are a must.

#3806 1 year ago

Speaking of LEDs I have three insert lights (shoot again, hat magic, and the second T in theatre) that don’t turn off all the way, they dim a little but won’t turn off. I tried new bulbs but I get the same result. Anyone know what might be the problem?

#3810 1 year ago

So I have an LED OCD and GI OCD boards installed. All bulbs are comet 2smd. I tried replacing the bulbs for new ones, and moved the bulb to other spots not ghosting, same result on the same three spots. Unfortunately I don’t have any incandescent bulbs to test.

#3812 1 year ago

It’s worth a shot, i’ll sand the ground lug a bit.

#3814 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Bad or leaking diode somewhere in the matrix?

I hope that’s not it, my skill set is not good at that level of figuring out issues. All three lights are on different rows/columns on the matrix. Would that rule the diode theory out, or make it more likely?

#3816 1 year ago

In single lamp, when I test one lamp, one or two others will light up as well but a bit dimmer. So if I test the first “T” both of the “Special” lights will light up. If I light the middle trunk hit bulb, the Hat Magic will also turn on. It happens with quite a few lights.

#3819 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Here's three pieces of friendly advice for you when asking for help like this.

Remove all 3rd party add-ons (such as LED OCD and GI OCD) when reporting issues. This eliminates one variable. If the problem goes away when you remove these 3rd party add-ons you know that they are the cause and you should follow up with the manufacturer of the product.
Consult the manual. It contains a lot of very useful information - including the matrix tables.
Use the names (bonus points for using the numbers) of the bulbs in the matrix tables.

Translation of your post:

When the single lamp test is on "(T)HEATRE" (lamp 11) the "SPECIAL" (lamp 81) is also dimly illuminated.

When the single lamp test is on "TRUNK HIT 2" (lamp 51) the "HAT MAGIC" (lamp 71) is also dimly illuminated.
You should do this systematically as pinballinreno suggests. Take your time. Consult the table. Look at the numbers.
My opinion:

Exclude the OCD boards by removing them. I don't think you have a diode problem.
Use incandescent or non-ghosting LED bulbs to exclude LED ghosting as the cause.
If you do all that and you still have simultaneously erroneous dimly illuminated bulbs then you have an issue.
Exclude the driver board by using a lamp matrix tester.

Thanks I appreciate the feedback and guidance. I had the same thought on the OCD, and the issue still occurs with it removed.

Here’s the matrix

I noticed that on row 1, (T)heatre 11, turns on Special 81, and Trunk hit (2) 51, turns on Hat magic 71. If i chase the Red Brown wire from j133 on the driver board, i should find a diode at one of the sockets that controls the whole row, or should all the sockets have a diode?

E3544E23-D314-44F2-8BFF-F0FD127E2499 (resized).pngE3544E23-D314-44F2-8BFF-F0FD127E2499 (resized).png
#3821 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

This is from an old WPC-89 manual. It shows how the matrix is wired. You can also look at the top right of the matrix table (that you posted) where it will show how each lamp is wired and where the diode is placed.
[quoted image]

Thanks, that’s very helpful. I’ll get some time Tuesday to mess around with it again.

#3823 1 year ago

OK, new lead on this ghosting issue. The previous owner re-flowed and repaired things on the board. I have a strong suspicion that's where the problem is. I will take the board off and see what the back of it looks like when I get a chance.

#3825 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

For me, its not too much about ghosting.
Its about the rapid flashing of the LEDs compared to the incadescents, I find it distracting and annoying.
I like the more controlled ramping up and down that the LEDOCD accomplishes.
I also like 100% LED's in my games, so a GIOCD is required on games that utilize dimming effects.

Yeah it fixes the flashing and the dimming of the GI makes a huge difference, especially on games like ToM. It's night and day difference.

1 week later
#3845 1 year ago

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement flap for the shooter ramp? I can find the flaps for the plastic ramps but not the shooter one.

2 weeks later
#3864 1 year ago
Quoted from Deez:

Can someone take a picture of what the configuration is supposed to look like on the right side of the trunk? My game is drilled like Swiss cheese and I had ball traps happening and want to fix them before putting the game back together.
Attached is how it looks currently.
[quoted image]

Look at the ToM restoration pics on highendpins.com I use Chris’ pictures for reference all the time.

#3865 1 year ago

What is the correct color spring for the shooter rod on this game. I just swapped out the rod for a brass one that came with a red spring, but the ball doesn’t make it up the shooter ramp. I put the original grey one on it and around 25% of the time the ball won’t make it up the shooter ramp.

2 weeks later
#3900 1 year ago

Looking to buy a 3D translite. Anyone with a 3D translite replacing it with the new Flyland version?

4 weeks later
#3914 1 year ago

Has anyone seen the acrylic version of his translites? Is it a noticeable difference? I wish he had a 3D version, that tiger would look awesome.

#3916 1 year ago
Quoted from polishedball:

I have his acrylic in my CCr, but not sure exactly what your asking.

Is it better than the regular translite? He claims the colors pop better on it

#3921 1 year ago

I had a3d translite on my previous machine. I really liked it, i wish they still made them, I haven’t been able to find another one for sale.

2 weeks later
#3955 1 year ago

I’m back to dealing with the ghosting inserts on my machine. I can’t figure out what’s going on.

I replaced the power driver board with a brand new one from Victor. All the insert lights seem brighter now which is great, but the same inserts ghost as before. I have swapped bulbs, bulb holders, removed the led ocd boards. I don’t know what else it could be.

Quoted from DumbAss:

Here's three pieces of friendly advice for you when asking for help like this.

Remove all 3rd party add-ons (such as LED OCD and GI OCD) when reporting issues. This eliminates one variable. If the problem goes away when you remove these 3rd party add-ons you know that they are the cause and you should follow up with the manufacturer of the product.
Consult the manual. It contains a lot of very useful information - including the matrix tables.
Use the names (bonus points for using the numbers) of the bulbs in the matrix tables.

Translation of your post:

When the single lamp test is on "(T)HEATRE" (lamp 11) the "SPECIAL" (lamp 81) is also dimly illuminated.

When the single lamp test is on "TRUNK HIT 2" (lamp 51) the "HAT MAGIC" (lamp 71) is also dimly illuminated.
You should do this systematically as pinballinreno suggests. Take your time. Consult the table. Look at the numbers.
My opinion:

Exclude the OCD boards by removing them. I don't think you have a diode problem.
Use incandescent or non-ghosting LED bulbs to exclude LED ghosting as the cause.
If you do all that and you still have simultaneously erroneous dimly illuminated bulbs then you have an issue.
Exclude the driver board by using a lamp matrix tester.

#3969 1 year ago
Quoted from EStroh:

I just had this issue with my Twilight Zone - which turned out to be a single shorted diode that affected most all of the lamps. First thing I would suggest is to put it into single lamp test mode and check each lamp to see if another lamp (or two) lights up at the same time. Use the lamp matrix chart to note what is happening with each lamp you select. If it's like mine, you will see a pattern here.

It’s happening with 2 different power driver boards, one of them is brand new. Are there more diodes for the lights aside from the ones on the driver board?

5 months later
#4140 8 months ago

I’ve been looking for wireforms for the same reason, just so Chris can get a set to keep in stock to do swaps. It would be a big benefit to ToM owners.

Which also leads me to ask, we are lucky to have people that make plastic ramp reproductions, but no one seems to make wireform reproductions. Are they too difficult to make or too expensive, or both? Or just not enough demand? I have zero knowledge what it would take to do something like that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goalie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-club?tu=goalie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.