IMG_9247 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9231 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0920 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3296 (resized).JPG
DSCN3295 (resized).JPG
DSCN3294 (resized).JPG
DSCN3293 (resized).JPG
DSCN3292 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider evandickson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#363 9 years ago

I picked up a TOM this past weekend, it was such a great deal I couldn't pass it up, even though I wasn't that familiar with the game. It's minty fresh, looks like a brand new PF, not a mark on the cabinet or backbox.

This is probably the smoothest playing pin I've ever played. There just aren't any dead spots like in other games, every shot is actually a shot, there doesn't seem to be anywhere on the PF that a shot just bonks off a post or an edge and drops dead.

#364 9 years ago

Anyone got ROM recommendations? I have 1.2A, and sound v L-2. Are any other versions preferable, or am I good as is?

#365 9 years ago

Also... is there a way to disable video mode? I'm not finding anything in the manual. I enjoy this game a lot, but the 'pinball' video mode is awful :p

2 months later
#412 9 years ago

So... Midnight Madness. Pretty much just a guaranteed way to score 20 or 40 million and then drain out, right? It pretty much drops it straight down the middle every time.

#414 9 years ago

What does that mean?

#417 9 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

Turn trunk save on in your settings and when the ball goes down just after hitting the trunk it will give it back.

Oh, that is an awesome tip, I will look for that setting tonight, thanks!

#424 9 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Wondering if anybody has a solution to the classic left lane outlane save magnet is very weak issue?

Neat, I didn't know that was a common problem. Mine is weak too. There's a fix?

2 months later
#453 8 years ago

W00t!

I just had my first grand finale! It only took 6 months.

2 months later
#493 8 years ago
Quoted from Brian7588:

How do I join the club?

You're already in it, according to your game's list.

2 weeks later
#509 8 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Ahhhhhhhh, guys, Theatre is killing me. I can't get the trunk to stop shutting down during a game. I've tried everything: aluminum interrupter, new opto board, took the gearbox apart, cleaned and relubed it, finally gave up and put a whole new gearbox and motor in it... but same problem. It moves smoothly and perfectly, passes all trunk tests, and then (usually during a really good game) the ball hits the trunk when it's moving and that tiny fraction of a second of lag time when it reverses direction is enough for the software to shut it down for the game - and there's no way to get it started again without cashing the current game.
I love my Theatre but this is ruining it for me. Anyone have any fixes that I haven't heard of yet? I wish the ROM could somehow be updated to be a little more generous with the changing directions lag - literally nothing wrong with the trunk, but the software thinks there is...

There's a hardware bug, with a fix. I have ordered parts to give it a shot. It's linked in this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-trunk-error-leons-fix-anyone-done-this

6 months later
#848 8 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

No wonder I don't get it more often. I hate that right orbit shot.

Are you having trouble getting the angle? If yes, you might want to re-align your flippers

Or are you having trouble getting enough power to make the shot? If this, then you might want to rebuild your fippers.

I love both orbit shots on this game. They're very satisfying for some reason.

#851 8 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Angle. I thought my flip was aligned properly. Maybe I'll post a pic. I can loop the left side one after another but right side....Grrrrr.

There should be a little hole in the playfield just below the flipper. If you stick a toothpick in this hole, a resting flipper should just touch the toothpick. If it doesn't reach the toothpick, then the flipper is too high.

Also, if the toothpick is blocking the flipper from pointing lower, then the flipper is too low. But it doesn't sound like you have that issue.

#854 8 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

I've got a HUO Xmen I would trade for a TOM plus cash depending on condition. Pm if you are interested..

You should let people know your location.

1 week later
#863 8 years ago
Quoted from KyleCat:

Let's change this thread up a bit! What are your high scores and strategies? All tips would be greatly appreciated. Currently I have never obtained the grand finale and my top score is 1.729 billion.

High score is 2,982,300,340. It was the only time I've gotten a grand finale. I've topped 1.5 billion 3 or 4 times in the past week, and come close to another grand finale (everything was there except 1 illusion, which was just starting). I usually keep to the left half. I go for multiballs and jackpots, VANISH / tiger-saw multiball, and THEATRE. I realize I have to start making it a priority to start illusions over all other things, and I think if you can keep that up for a game you can probably pick up the rest of the stuff incidentally.

9 months later
#1461 7 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

I just started having an issue recently where the trunk stops moving mid game. it will start up again the next time I reset the machine.
it's random in it's occurrence. it can play like 20 games fine then all the sudden...
I'm using rom 1.4hb don't know if that has anything to do with it.

This sounds very much like the hardware design flaw, order one of Ingo's replacement boards, if there are still any available, as described in the link Canea provided.

#1463 7 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

interesting, don't think I would of put those two together as being the cultprit - eddy board and motor. guess it makes sense though.

I'll definitely check both options.
thank you

They are actually the same thing. Ingo put it together as a nice and tidy replacement board.

2 weeks later
#1516 7 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

I just scored 4.5 billion on TOM and was curious to see where that was compared to others. I think second place was 12 billion and I could see hitting that someday maybe. First place was 111 billion... not saying I don't believe it, but seems like to score that you would be on the game for 4-5 hours. It's easier to keep the ball in play on TOM then most other games, but still. Regardless you would have to be pretty good at pinball in order to score that and the players other scores on other games weren't as great. Guess I'm just a skeptic, maybe it was entered in wrong.

I think my best ever is something like 2.5B, but I'm too lazy to look it up. 4.5B is a really fantastic score. 12B may or may not be real - when you consider a pool of 1000's of players playing 1000's of games, statistically may have happened. 111B is total fantasy land, no way that's real.

3 months later
#1767 6 years ago

I'm curious, looking at my upper ramp, it appears to be designed to have a long hex post to support the ramp. What do other people have going on here? Do you have a support? Or an unused slot on the ramp, hovering over a post that ends a couple inches below?

IMG_20170429_110203973 (resized).jpgIMG_20170429_110203973 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170429_110156178 (resized).jpgIMG_20170429_110156178 (resized).jpg

#1769 6 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

You are missing a post for support. Mine TOM has a post there.

Good​ to know for sure, thanks!

#1770 6 years ago

I've finished sprucing up my TOM. Stripped it bare, cleaned, waxed, and reassembled with new rubbers, plastics, protectors, cliffys, flippers, purple titan Flipper rings, new trunk, pinbits auto eddy sensor boards, LED throughout incl GI, replaced a burned GI connector, replaced and handful of borked light sockets, dismantled and cleaned trunk motor and gears, and probably stuff I'm forgetting. It plays like a million dollars. I've never seen the trunk spin so fast, and I've literally never seen another pin play so fast.

Pretty pumped.

IMG_20170429_185032616 (resized).jpgIMG_20170429_185032616 (resized).jpg

7 months later
#2296 6 years ago

Ugh. Is there anything less satisfying than starting Grand Finale and draining after completing only 1 letter? :p

#2304 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Which is exactly what happened to me tonight! Had the entire family over and everyone was playing. TOM was empty and I decided to jump on for a quick one. Ended up getting to the Grand Finale pretty quick, and had everything done but one last letter.
What happens if you get it all?

500M points, then start working on it again.

2 weeks later
#2328 6 years ago
Quoted from UltraPeepi:

Can a ball slip through your subway? They can on my machine (see attached image). I would like to know if I have something installed incorrectly.

Yes, I used to have that happen reasonably often, and it would come to rest on the trunk board. Interestingly, it hasn't happened lately, I think the difference may have been when I cranked the back legs all the way up, and the front legs all the way down.

3 weeks later
#2350 6 years ago

I have a gremlin in my machine that surfaces only occasionally, maybe every few weeks, with one of a couple symptoms. It's a long shot, but sas anyone ever experienced something like this and figured out what it is? I have additional variables in the mix for troubleshooting, and that's that I have Ingo's board installed, and Pinbits auto adjusting eddy boards installed.

- Four or five instances of trunk stops registering hits. They do not start registering again until the machine is turned off and on.
- Four or five instances of magna-save triggering without ball rolling over eddy sensor. I think in particular it's the right side triggering it, as it once or twice triggered with the ball rolling down the inlane.
- Two instances only of left flipper registering a trunk hit when selecting illusion before plunging the ball.
- One instance of the background crescendo music not playing when multiball was starting, just silence followed by the voice yelling "multi ball".

Weird things, and not consistent. Any ideas?

#2353 6 years ago

I have Ingo's board, I have the pinbits boards, I don't have CPU damage, and I do have NVRam.

I'm pretty sure there must be a failing connector at the mpu at this point, there just aren't any other possibilities. I just replaced U20, because it's faster to swap a socketed chip than replace connectors. If I see anything happen again in the next few weeks, then I'll replace J205 and J207. If still an issue, then I'll call a priest.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider evandickson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-club?tu=evandickson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.