IMG_9247 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9231 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0920 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3296 (resized).JPG
DSCN3295 (resized).JPG
DSCN3294 (resized).JPG
DSCN3293 (resized).JPG
DSCN3292 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dq13.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3171 3 years ago

Hey all, proud new TOM owner here. Slight issue with the wire ramp that begins at the top lanes. When I hit the ball around the left outer loop to that ramp, it begins its journey up with plenty of speed to complete the ramp, however it comes to a screeching halt around where the ramp cover ends and rolls back down to top lanes. I thought it might be getting wedged between the ramp cover and ramp, but there is plenty of clearance for the ball to travel. It doesn't appear to be leaving the ramp into the cover to slow it down; it appears more of a friction of ball and ramp issue at that corner. Frustrating since this is the result about 80% of the time. Thanks in advance for any help!

25B3DFD3-3325-436B-9B3D-FFAAF59A5F58 (resized).jpeg25B3DFD3-3325-436B-9B3D-FFAAF59A5F58 (resized).jpeg
#3175 3 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

This is going to be hard to tell from my pic, but to me.. it looks like your wire ramp is too far from the metal ball guide behind it. If you think about it, when you slam a shot through there, the ball is going around that corner and hugging that outside wire and riding against that outside ball guide (not rolling between the two wires). If there is too much gap there, i would think it would add too much friction and slow the ball down.
Just my .02 (I have yet to truly shop this thing, so I havent taken that wire habitrail out before)
[quoted image]

I adjusted the ramp cover, and that helped, but shifting the entire ramp over a bit closer to the ball guide really made it smooth! Thanks! And, yes, it's tough to see past that sweet hat mod!

#3178 3 years ago

I’m updating to LEDs. Sticking with warm whites for GI, but wanted some suggestions for colors in the back box. Nothing too fancy or bright, just some subtle color highlights. Anyone who has done this have a map they might share? Thanks!

#3180 3 years ago
Quoted from Andypc:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Perfect, thank you!

2 weeks later
#3187 3 years ago

On the hunt for a playfield protector for my ToM. Are the German manufacturers the only avenue for distribution? The shipping is 40% of the cost!

#3190 3 years ago
Quoted from nickbuol:

Yeah, might be just that one place makes them and sells them. Saw this as well. About $180-$185 USD shipped, similar to the eBay listing, same specs.
https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/JpMW1XF13EWCh0MavyyHkA?categoryid=22&category=Playfield%20Protectors

Thanks! I pulled the trigger on one from Cointakers after I spoke with them and they confirmed it was the same product from the German manufacturers. $125 + Free shipping! I know if it sounds too good to be true...we shall see upon receipt of item.

1 month later
#3199 3 years ago

Having a few issue after pressing start, on ball 1, all balls are kicked out and stacked in the shooter lane.

EDIT: Resolved. The optos were filthy and LEDs just needed a clean. Switch edge test checks out. Got lucky

EDIT EDIT: After a few games with no problems, it started stacking again. Arrgh! Any suggestions?

#3201 3 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Go in to switch test mode and check the shooter lane switch

Just went ahead and ordered new trough optos and a switch for the shooter lane. Sanity for a few dollars.

1 month later
#3212 3 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

Looking for same advice. Its getting time to shop out my ToM again, last time was 20+years ago. What would you guys recommend, here is my short list and if you have any comments/pics/suggestions just let me know :
Comet LED kit
Auto Eddy board for the trunk...and magnets?
Titan rubbers - color(s)? or just the standard regular rubber (black)
New "unbreakable" trunk. I still have new OEM ones somewhere.
LMK, Im not to big into mods and only have the spinning tiger saw on it but I'm open for anything cool.
Thanks

If you want to stay true to the original incandescent GI lighting on the playfield, I got Comet sunlight warm 2smd and they are gorgeous. Colors in the backglass makes it pop, but still looks classy. I just put the unbreakable trunk in a few days ago, it's the real deal; highly recommended.

TOM (resized).jpgTOM (resized).jpg
1 month later
#3261 3 years ago
Quoted from zhu808:

Get a mylar play field protector, or no?

Mylar and a playfield protector are 2 different items. The playfield protector I have has no adhesive and covers the entire playfield. This is a lightening rod issue whether they are needed and whether they alters gameplay beyond recognition. I love mine and the piece of mind that this machine will be around for at least another generation. There are slight variations in the gameplay (e.g. a few more airballs), but overall its personal preference.
The same original German product is sold through Cointaker so you don't have to pay $75 for international shipping:
https://cointaker.com/products/playfield-protector-pinball-stern

1 month later
#3278 2 years ago
Quoted from zhu808:

Anyone have any idea where this goes?
Pretty sure it came from the top right hand corner, near the jets
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

9D4675F0-94E4-40BB-9797-30FF63C67646 (resized).jpeg9D4675F0-94E4-40BB-9797-30FF63C67646 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#3315 2 years ago

Looking for the right sling plastic! I have a new left sling plastic if someone wants to trade. The right plastic seem to be infamous for being chipped on the lower corner

4 months later
#3398 2 years ago

Does anyone have a coil sleeve type and count for the whole game? I found some kit deals but they don't list the counts of each, and I think it would be cheaper if I bought individually.

#3401 2 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

A new 2.0 ROM version for TOM was recently released. Below is a URL to the release notes.
https://dotsandloopspinball.com/rn/Theatre%20Of%20Magic%20rev%2020%20Release%20note.txt
An excerpt from the release notes for the 2.0 ROM is below which you may find interesting with regards to the magna ball save.
'New feature adjustment A.2 24 "Hocus 2nd saver". Options: "No" and "Yes". Default: "Yes".
In single ball play only!
If the Hocus pocus outlane saver magnet fails, a compensation one shot ball saver will serve the ball to the plunger lane.
The feature only saves balls going to an outlane, that should have been saved to an inlane.'
Gord

Finally, some restitution

5 months later
#3565 1 year ago

Is there anyway to loosen up a sticky microswitch? It's the one at the rear of the captive ball lane. Can I get any cheaper than trying to repair a sticky microswitch?

2 months later
#3657 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I have both LCD and LED versions of the colorDMD on hand.
I chose the LCD for my ToM.
LED for DW, TAF, etc...

Another vote for the ColorDMD LCD in ToM. I love mine and how versatile the modes are. The kids prefer the HIRES animation, but the Dots looks classic

4 weeks later
#3690 1 year ago

Just confirming, what is needed to upgrade to 2.0? Can I just install and be done with it, or are other board mods needed?

#3693 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

If unsure, order the matching security chip at the same time.
Tell Dave what you need he will take care of you:
https://www.pinballrom.com/

Good thinking

3 weeks later
#3705 1 year ago
Quoted from EStroh:

I think you problems aren't related. For the issue of the game not starting, first check if the balls are magnetized. When this happens they don't feed into the trough correctly... the kind of "stick together" and won't roll. Take the balls out and put them on a flat surface. See if they have a tendency to want to stick together somewhat. If they are magnetized the effect will be subtle. If they aren't magnetized, check your trough switches. Take all the balls out and just roll one down the trough while in switch edge test. Make sure it registers at each switch location.

This and I'd check the switch in the trap door. Also, I'd clean the lenses on the optos in the main trough. I had some issues with this in the past

1 week later
#3709 1 year ago
Quoted from Frogroar:

I installed ROM 2.0 not too long ago and started noticing something which I don’t know if it’s an issue or not: let’s say I’m shooting for an illusion, is it normal to be able to lock the ball twice and even go for multiball while the illusion is still running?

Totally normal. I'm running original code

1 month later
#3789 1 year ago

Found this lil bugger under my ToM, that sits next to a Pinbot. Not sure how it would have gotten under the machine, or if it even belongs to ToM or Pinbot. Doesn't look familiar. Any ideas?

PXL_20221026_022134329 (resized).jpgPXL_20221026_022134329 (resized).jpg
#3791 1 year ago
Quoted from pete_d:

Looks like a solenoid return spring.
How it got under the TOM cabinet, I have no idea. Depending on how often you clean, it might have shown up just today, or a year ago.
Whether it's important or not, I also don't know. Depends on where it actually came from. Were you doing any flipper rebuilding lately, or other work on solenoids, where it might've come off and you forgot to put it back on?

No rebuilds or disassemblings lately. It's a shorter guy for solenoids, too, which makes it a bit more vexing. Time to just take a look underneath

#3794 1 year ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Sorry. Nothing springs to mind.

#3795 1 year ago
Quoted from mikehoss1414:

Looks like a spring from a leaf switch button…like your flipper buttons

Ah, good thought.
Everything else checks out

8 months later
#4116 9 months ago
Quoted from Gillen:

So sorry, had to go and turn on the machine, it does a regular loud "dong", if it's a error it's a extra double or tripple dong... I should just kept quiet.

My TOM also has a big dong, only when it's turned on.

1 month later
#4143 8 months ago
Quoted from foozle:

I recently got a TOM and the trap door opens and closes about 5 times when I first turn the power on. It stops when the DMD says "push start button." Is this normal?
Thanks

Does this ever happen during gameplay? It may be a needed switch adjustment, the ball popper switch that detects a ball in the trap door.

#4147 8 months ago
Quoted from foozle:

I know this has been asked before, but just wondering what the current thinking was on Color LED versus LCD for Theatre of Magic? Getting ready to order, so was curious what others thought. Thanks!

LCD all the way. The color projection matches the game aesthetic much better imo

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dq13.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-club?tu=dq13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.