IMG_9247 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9231 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0920 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3296 (resized).JPG
DSCN3295 (resized).JPG
DSCN3294 (resized).JPG
DSCN3293 (resized).JPG
DSCN3292 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dgampguy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3712 1 year ago

Also new to the club a few weeks ago.
My wife loves this game after playing it in an arcade.
It needs some TLC, but was playable right away, so that was a bonus compared to most of the projects that we have picked up for our collection. This is our first game from the DMD era, so lots of new things to learn about.

Some questions:

Is there a threshold for getting a new high score to date? I upgraded to the 2.0 ROM and it said that all settings were reset to factory. I changed a couple, like free play and disabling the buy in for extra balls. It has yet to prompt for any initials, and only shows master magicians after a game. With the original 1.2 ROM, we had gotten prompted a couple of times.

Is there a way to determine the correct screw types for the ramps and plastics? There are several missing that I’d like to replace.

Minor accomplishment:

I got an error early on regarding the left eddy sensor. I discovered (thanks to info from pinside) that alternate board for the trunk sensor had been installed and it wouldn’t take the adjustment. I found the resistor and capacitor values in the technical guide and replaced them with the correct values. Now the hocus Pocus ball save works great.

Dave

#3726 1 year ago
Quoted from Fastfred:

I did a tear down on Theatre of Magic and took a lot of pictures but one part escape me as I cannot find where it goes. Can someone please share a picture of where it belongs? I been looking at pictures and stump. Thank you.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Does anyone know the part number and how unobtainable this is? It’s missing on our game.

Thanks,
Dave

#3729 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Im not altogether sure its needed.
Its a clip to keep the clear plastic from bending up or breaking from ball hits.
The clip hasnt actually stopped the plastic from breaking on many games.
I imagine that you can just fabricate a little bracket out of a piece of old siderail or scrap stainless.
Maybe put a small clear washer or clear fender washer under the screw and over the lip of the plastic to catch the edge.
It would do the same thing and be much simpler.
On most games that have cliffy's installed its not even installed right:
[quoted image]

Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I'm missing it and have been looking for it for probably 3 years now. No idea what partnr it is but I've visually checked all pinball sites that I know of and noone got it. As far as I know it's unobtainable.
I know it's not really needed but I like my games to be as factory as possible just for that feeling of having a complete game.
I've thought of making one myself, can't be that hard, but still hopes someone out there sells one so I don't have to make my own

Thank you both for the info. I’m gradually figuring out what pieces in this game need to be replaced or are missing. I’m spoiled by the fact that it is playing so well as it is, but I don’t want to start breaking ramps. I like the idea of the clear washer workaround.

Dave

2 months later
#3875 1 year ago

I’d recommend the 2.0 ROM. It’s compatible with the original security chip and has some excellent features/fixes.

I don’t know anything about sound ROM changes.

Dave

1 month later
#3936 1 year ago
Quoted from rmf-pinball:

Favor: My TOM spinner is not working. Fails in switch edge test as well. But... I SWEAR I replaced the whole switch mechanism just a few months ago!!
Can someone take a quick picture of their spinner switch wiring? Maybe I screwed up the wiring or diode location/orientation.
I can't find details on orientation in the manual. A closeup picture would be really helpful!
-Rob

Does this help? I happen to have it out while I’m doing a cleanup and playfield protector.

Dave

029552CD-1D03-4490-96C4-8FD0461C3D27 (resized).jpeg029552CD-1D03-4490-96C4-8FD0461C3D27 (resized).jpeg
#3941 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

I was looking at the rubber rings list for ToM recently and noticed it calls for there to be a post sleeve (23-6556) right between where it goes either inlane or outlane. This is on both the left and right sides of the playfield. It is item "B" on the list in the manual. My game has the small rings (item C, 23-6641 mini-post rings) on both of those and not sleeves. I don't think the metal posts in either of those two spots would accommodate a rubber sleeve the way they are anyway.
Anyone ever see a post sleeve in these two spots like the manual calls out for?

I just got done doing all new rings, cleaning, and a playfield protector on our game. The list in the manual has a lot of errors. The lists on the titan pinball site were pretty much copies of the manual, so I ended up doing 2 orders and having a little pile of spares…

But, it’s still nice to have it done and clean.

Dave

#3947 1 year ago

Has anyone experienced having the ball get stuck at the start of the wire ramp, just behind the right ball gate up at the top right side? You have to wait for the ball search to lift the gate and the shake the heck out of the game to get it to roll into the lanes. If the tilt bob was properly set up it would be fatal. Thanks for any input.

Dave

#3950 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Yes, mine was doing this. Not all the time, but when it tried to go up that wire form without enough speed and then settled in that exact spot just as the flap came down and trapped it, like you, you just couldn't seem to shake it loose.
I had a sheet of Mylar and cut a small one to basically cover that recess where the wireform ends dip under the playfield surface. I had to try a couple different positions to get it to work every time, but it finally solved the issue.

Thanks! I was thinking along the same lines, so I’m going to give that a try.

2 months later
#4023 1 year ago

I did the same task earlier this year. I forgot to put the flipper rubber in the back even though I had read about it on this thread. I was missing the same rings mentioned above as well as one on the triangle of posts above the right outline. There are grooves for a short ring on the two bottom posts and my game had a ring there.

2 months later
#4113 10 months ago

Our TOM does the same thing when it’s powered up. The initial tone is louder than the regular volume and there are no faults. We’re on the 2.0 ROM.

Dave

3 weeks later
#4137 9 months ago

The manual describes the sensor adjustment process. I’d do that first. If it works for a while and then goes out of adjustment, you can decide on a new board or replacing the adjustment potentiometer (if you are able to solder). If it doesn’t work, you can check cabling and then order a new board. Assuming the game was working when you first got it, that sounds like a reasonable cause.

Good luck,
Dave

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dgampguy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-club?tu=dgampguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.