IMG_9247 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9231 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0920 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3296 (resized).JPG
DSCN3295 (resized).JPG
DSCN3294 (resized).JPG
DSCN3293 (resized).JPG
DSCN3292 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robl45.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1057 7 years ago

Can someone tell me the color black to use for the front on the Backbox? Also the color black for the wood next to the shooter lane. Thanks.

#1059 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Krylon black satin or semi is good.
Small scratches a sharpie is a good match but dries a little glossy, a wipe down with a dry cloth will rub off the gloss.
I have even sprayed the paint into a cup and applied with a que tip for little nicks and gouges.

I burnted it years back at the top, too close to a lamp right above it.

So I figure bondo the top area there in the picture and then hit with some paint, is there any normal paint brush paint or is spray paint in a cup best?

20160904_174810 (resized).jpg20160904_174810 (resized).jpg

#1060 7 years ago

Quick question, after getting my TOM up again after 5 years in storage, I got everything working minus a bunch of bulbs that apparently burnt out. One issue I'm having is it doesn't consistently go up the right ramp. I'd say half the time it falls out the hole a little way up and it seems to kind of clunk up the ramp when it makes it instead of going smoothly. Is this normal or is it a level issue or something?

#1062 7 years ago

All the parts are there. I set it to 6.5 degrees. The bulbs are random it seems. Two in theatre a few for the magic acts etc. There is also a magic post flasher that seems to be out. Where is the magic post? For the ramp, the ball just doesn't seem to want to go smooth. Don't know how to better describe it. Maybe like this. Shots that definitely have the power to get around the ramp are falling in the hole so I thought maybe it wasn't leveled right but I checked and the level is just about as good as it gets. Those shots Tend to be kind of banging into the side of the ramp as it goes up instead of nice and smooth like the center ramp.

#1064 7 years ago

Small scratches a sharpie is a good match but dries a little glossy, a wipe down with a dry cloth will rub off the gloss.
I have even sprayed the paint into a cup and applied with a que tip for little nicks and gouges.

Is that color For the Backbox or shooter lane?

Anyone know what to do about the gold habitrail rusting? 6 years ago there was no easy solution.

#1067 7 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

But these are Two different blacks on the shooter lane and blackbox.

#1069 7 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

For the brass ramp polishing, you can try Brasso metal polish. I've had good luck with it. But straight rust, you may to try Evaporust. There is a bit of a following here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cult-of-evaporust

Will Brasso work for this?

20160905_100406 (resized).jpg20160905_100406 (resized).jpg

#1072 7 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Yes -- you are correct. I was just quoting above and missed that I copied in two colors.

So which color is for the backbox and which is for the shooter lane? or are those both for the backbox?

#1075 7 years ago

Brasso smoothed out the wire but it still looks the same. At least it Will be smooth. I have one lock light that I keep getting to work and it keeps going out again. Any ideas what I can try?

#1078 7 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

If it is one of the twist bulb holders, there can be a pit in the solder plate on the board. You can reflow more solder on it to remove it. Or try a new/different twist socket.

Yea it is the twist holder and figured it was kinda what you mentioned but was hoping it wasn't.

#1079 7 years ago

Can someone tell me which protector from pinball decals fits this Game. They list wpc 95 and wpc 93.

#1080 7 years ago

Tonight it was making skill shots on its own. Ball sent to plunger and it awarded the shot. Is my sensor to sensitive at the trunk?

#1083 7 years ago

Yes button protectors, sorry about that. The problem is, I asked the person from the site and they weren't sure either. Looking at the pictures, one of them seems to have less plastic above the flipper button, however I have TOM and NGG here, one WPC95 and TOM I guess is WPC 93 and the flippers look to be about in the same position.

I like these because they appear to just hold in place by the buttons and won't do any permanent damage. I need them now for the kids while they are young.

Quoted from nickbuol:

What type of protector are you talking about? I didn't readily see a playfield one on their site (plus that would be specific to each game), and the only thing that I could find that was wpc93 or wpc95 were flipper button protectors.
EDIT: I see now that you ARE looking for flipper protectors based off of your other post here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-button-protectors
When I look up WPC versions, it shows ToM as WPC-S which came before WPC95. I didn't see mention of WPC93 anywhere. (found info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_Pinball_Controller)
However, if I go to Flipper Fidelity, it lists ToM as a WPC93 game (http://flipperfidelity.com/sound/williams-bally-speaker-systems/williams-bally-complete-replacement-speaker-system-for-dcs-machines.html)

#1085 7 years ago

Those stick on though right? So potential damage?

Quoted from lyonsden:

I just use these and then cut any extra mylar off that is on the metal side rail with a sharp razor or exacto knife: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1870

#1087 7 years ago

Anyone know about this humming I have?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-humming-noise

#1088 7 years ago

That's why I'm looking at the pinball decal ones. Held in place by flipper button.

Quoted from lyonsden:

I've never tried to take them off and have had them on games for years. If you want to take them off, you may want to put some wax down first (playfield) and and also test on a different part of the game. I would imagine that you can pull up art from the cab similarly to that of a playfield.

#1089 7 years ago

Actionpinball has it and yes it's worth it. Without it spins with captive ball hit. With it spins during Tiger saw and Tiger saw multiball. Sad that people have to pay so much for this mod. I don't know what happened to the Tom Callahan version. I guess that's pin logic. I have the prototype in my machine from Tom Callahan when he made it for the 1.4 rom and it's still working many years later.

Quoted from nickbuol:

So I installed the (expensive) tiger saw and marquee kit tonight. Everything works, but then I looks for kicks and see that I am running the 1.2 game ROM. I know that there are some bug fixes going to v 1.3x of the ROM and they can be found online for something like $13 shipped. Of course, then there is the 1.4h ROM. It needs the U22 security chip for $45 shipped, plus whatever it costs for a 1.4h chip (I can't seem to find any place to buy one).
I understand that the saw will spin at more times with the 1.4h ROM, but is it really worth the expense (even if I could find a 1.4h chip) over the 1.3x ROM? I mean, dang, this was a $300 shipped kit, and I am working on a $300 LED kit, I am just not sure that it is worth it...
Thoughts from the ToM owners here with the spinning saw?

#1092 7 years ago
Quoted from nickbuol:

Yeah, but isn't 1.4 known to have some (rare) multiball failure or something? I remember there being some reasons why people said not to go to 1.4... It would be nice to have the saw spin as designated by the 1.4 ROM though...

I'm no expert player but it seems fine to me. Multiball seems fine, I have the occasional time when a ball came out the trap door instead of going to the plunger after lock, but I font think that's Rom related.

#1107 7 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

The red plastic magic post goes up and down between the tips of the flippers on prototype games only. The bulb lights when the post is up.

Thanks, I figured it out a bit after posting at least that was my conclusion as to why there was no light. I added the saw, but I'm not drilling through the playfield. LOL

1 week later
#1128 7 years ago

So I was playing today with the kids and during my turn the game just turned off and reset. We then played another game without issues. Since getting the thing out of storage, its probably been played 50 times without incident. Should I worry about this or is it just a freak occurance? Using 1.4h home rom.

1 month later
#1273 7 years ago

What do you guys use to remove the nuts holding the flipper buttons in? I used a pair of pliers getting them off as I couldn't find a wrench that would fit, but now no matter what I do, one of the flipper buttons is loose and I'd like to get it tightened properly.

#1275 7 years ago
Quoted from nickbuol:

I have a large assortment of tools, so your mileage may vary, but I used a wrench. You could also use a socket if you had one large enough and removed the button circuitry to get it out of the way.
I guess you could try a pair of needle nose pliers.

Do you know what size the nut is?

#1277 7 years ago

what the heck, I have a full open ended wrench set here and it goes 7/8 to 1 inch. i don't think I have a socket that big either, will have to check the set. But good to know what size it would use. Thank you

#1280 7 years ago

Anyone else have problems hitting the right loop? I can hit left loop no problem but right hardly ever. It's usually just luck and considering midnight madness is my favorite part, it kind of sucks.

#1284 7 years ago

Its a tight shot.
I usually focus on it during multiball and can get it done by ball one or two on a good day.

Its a tight shot.
I usually focus on it during multiball and can get it done by ball one or two on a good day.

Me and the kids focus on not losing the balls during multiball LOL. I'm thinking my flippers aren't set right but they are aligned with the flipper alignment holes.

#1285 7 years ago
Quoted from nickbuol:

I've had mine think that the trunk was being "hit" all of the time. I got tired of adjusting the eddy sensor underneath the playfield, so I bought one that auto-calibrates itself. Fixed my problem.
I got it from here:
https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=375

So if pinbits doesn't have these anymore, is the only thing that you can do is adjust these constantly? I've adjusted all 3 sensors per instructions, turn till lit them turn back until light turns off. I've checked them and make sure they are registering and same thing everytime. The trunk registers most of the time but has a bad habit of not registering the skill shot some times and the outlanes miss the ball probably half the time. You'd assume there would be compensation for that in the software but Nope.

#1295 7 years ago

So do led's work on TOM or not so well. I keep reading old posts about dimming problems and needing a GI OCD. I was thinking of doing the GI lights in purple and then white for all the inserts along with purple rubber.

#1299 7 years ago

I was planning on comet. So do they dim correctly or no? Will purple gi look good?

Quoted from lyonsden:

I have standard (not No Ghosting) LEDs in mine (warm -- twin SMDs from Comet) and think they look and work great. I don't have OCD boards, but the fading effects with those look great. It just doesn't make a big difference for me, but I understand why people do it. If you do the inserts, you'll probably want to get a lot of flex head LEDs due to the side mounting of many bulb sockets. Best to color match inserts, except for the yellow ones. I use warm white LEDs for those as the yellow LEDs are too dim.

#1309 7 years ago

Spinning saw first thing you Should do. But please think before putting a spinning metal saw blade in a wood pinball machine. The plastic blade is plenty cool.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-tom-tiger-saw-mod-for-14h-rom-based-on-the-former-pin-logic-kit

#1312 7 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

Here's a video that shows the GI OCD dimming
Keep in mind as with all LEDs it looks better in person LOL
» YouTube video

When does it actually dim. I tried looking on mine and couldn't see it.

#1314 7 years ago

so I see the dimming now, lets say I went with normal bulbs for GI and LED for the inserts, would that work? Features work? Could I use purple normal GI bulbs or would they be too dark?

#1316 7 years ago
Quoted from nickbuol:

A number of people leave the GI as "regular" incandescent bulbs, probably for that reason.
Not sure about the usability of colored incandescent bulbs though. In order to be bright enough, they would have to be a higher wattage, which probably would be too much.
I have LEDs everywhere, and don't have a huge issue with the dimming, but again, the OCD boards are on my wish list for some point in the future.

Did you just turn off the dimming?

#1321 7 years ago

Is the post really worth it? It's not like you just put it in. I won't go drilling my Playfield for it. Love the spinning saw though.

#1324 7 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

Just downloaded 1.3x and put it in. The basement is working like it did in 1.2. Is this something that was intended to be left out, if so how come there is no mention of it anywhere?

Mine gives other things, its just mostly probably 8 out of 10 times light extra ball. It did do digital pinball one time, but definitely does not seem to be random picking exactly like it should.

#1331 7 years ago

So I replaced a burned out GI bulb in the sling and looked under the playfield and noticed at least on TOM that probably half the bulbs or more are sitting horizontally. Do you need flex LED bulbs for all of those locations or just for the T and E in theatre? Those flex bulbs are double the price.

#1334 7 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I've used the Cointaker flex bulbs. The total cost of ownership of all my LEDs (I bought them bit by bit over time all from Cointaker, mostly the Supers, Retros and Super Flexes, along with Super flashers as well) wasn't much more than a kit and I'm really happy with it.
When I got my ToM, 3/4 of the bulbs were LED and the rest were still incandescent or burnt out. The LEDs were all over the map, early era dim ones and newer ones, so I nuked them all and started from scratch with a consistent type. On it's own, it was a great improvement. Then I added the GI and LED OCD boards, and well, it's insanely amazing now, IMHO.

I'm thinking 2smd bulbs from comet, but the 2 flex head bulbs are literally double the price or so. 65 cents versus 1.19 per bulb, so I'm trying to figure out if I really need the flex everywhere. I saw a picture of someone doing leds like 7 years ago and T and E were not lit as much. Im fine with flex there, but if I need flex in every horizontal holder, the game is probably going to have to wait.

#1337 7 years ago

I thought you had said you used 2smd all around the game?

Quoted from lyonsden:

I used a lot of single SMD flex heads for ToM on the sideways mounted sockets, but used the doubles for lighting Grand Finale in the middle of the PF. It is a large insert light by two side-mounted 555s.

#1343 7 years ago

The post if I remember from playing champion pub years ago was actually useful on that game. TOM it would pop up for a few seconds according to what I've read about the code. and only if you hit the poof target which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

#1356 7 years ago

Could I get a list of what You used?

#1360 7 years ago

If anyone has a list of leds for this game I'd appreciate it. Trying to create bulk list for my games

#1362 7 years ago

Thank you. So everyone is using flex bulbs here. Thats what I'm planning, but talking to comet, they said that the 2smd horizontal works better than the flex. Is this just nonsense?

#1364 7 years ago

Anyone know if this connector should be connected? I'm guessing probably yes, but its been disconnected and everything seems fine.

tom pic (resized).jpgtom pic (resized).jpg

#1366 7 years ago
Quoted from Goalie:

It says 124 on it so I'm going to guess J124.

I"m guessing that too, can anyone else confirm they have j124 plugged in?

tom pic (resized).jpgtom pic (resized).jpg

#1368 7 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

j124 is for flashers

cool, plugged in and nothing exploded. Thank you.

#1372 7 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

For the side mounted bulbs, use flex heads. For the others, use the twin 2835.

Thats what I was planning, but when I asked comet, the guy said he tried the flex and the 2smd in the side mounted slots and said the 2smd looked better in the side mounted

#1379 7 years ago

Thank you, Both of them don't look too bad. I saw pictures from years back recently showing the side mounted LED's would barely light the first and last letters in Theatre but I"m guessing the LED's are a lot brighter now.

Quoted from lyonsden:

Hmm. . . since I have a bunch of comet LEDs and all of the LEDs in question, I just did the comparison. I don't think it really comes out well in the photos, but if you want bright, well lit inserts for those side mounted 555s, go with the flex heads.
side mounted flex heads 5050

side mounted twin 2835

#1381 7 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

so are your flashers working?

they always seemed to be working.

#1383 7 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

It's the flashers in the backbox (insert flashlamps). Page 3-27 of the manual.

I did look in the manual and saw that before I plugged it in, I thought insert flashlamps would be on the playfield? How do I test these, is there a test setting?

EDIT: I checked now, I see them flashing in the backbox along with the playfield. The Blue Dome light on the left rear never seems to go on though although I swear I've seen it in game.

#1388 7 years ago

Any pictures?

Quoted from doodlesdaddy:

I use all Titan Pinball frosted LEDs. No flex. Seems super bright. Mostly color matched to inserts and more purples for the GI. I'm happy with it and only cost maybe $80 total. I can't imagine them being any brighter

#1390 7 years ago

Stupid machine resets in the middle of a game. Its done it 3 or 4 times already. With the amount of games we play and the few times it happens, its not annoying enough to start going crazy over, but I'm wondering if that wpc board for 29 bucks will fix the issue? Maybe the plug its in isn't super stable?

#1395 7 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

The Kahr board is a good solution to get you playing in the short term. It's usually the connectors that need changing out and it's easy to measure and see where your voltage drops.
Marc

measuring the voltage drops is basically measuring the voltage on the pinwiki site?

#1397 7 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Yes. But just do it systematically. Follow the voltage into the board and to and from each connector. Find where it drops and you'll have it narrowed down. Is usally the connectors from the PDB to the CPU.
Marc

How do you find where it drops when we play 3 player games and it does it maybe once in 30 to 50 games. Probably more like once in 50.

#1399 7 years ago

Straight into wall but I'm thinking that plug is getting affected by something like a.c. or something

#1405 7 years ago

It doesn't fit all that well. Mine like that too.

#1416 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Trying to decide next pin. Tom or SM? Looking in md pa va area.

Tom is fun and relatively easy. It's my 5 and 7 year old favorite machine even over ngg.

#1417 7 years ago
Quoted from doodlesdaddy:

All Titan frosted LEDs. With LED flashers

It looks good but t and e look dim.

#1435 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

It looks good but t and e look dim.

Can You confirm if they really dim or its just the picture? I been thinking of getting those leds

#1459 7 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I'd say common issues mentioned here in this topic include:
- Extra post mounted to right of trunk, usually needs to be removed
- Trunk damage around the outhole
- Trunk gearbox grease has turned into molasses, needs to be opened, de-gunked and re-greased
- Magna-save magnet rings go bad in various ways
- Optos get old and fail. They are used to determine which way the trunk faces, whether or not a ball enters the trunk, and the ball trough.
- Trunk sticks when it's hit, can be fixed with Ingo's hardware fix

what do you mean by the magna save magnet rings go bad? I don't really want to shell out for the auto eddy sensors right now, but I would like to make the save magnets more reliable. They seem to work now, but only if the ball is going slowly.

#1464 7 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Mine are the same magnets in the spirit ring and magna save (outlanes) that I had when I first got the game, so I don't think this necessarily happens often. However, I've read in this topic over time that people have had some issues with them losing efficacy or otherwise acting goofy and replacing them. My experience is the ball doesn't necessarily have to be going slow, but it can't be going super fast and it must be in the precise right location for the roll-over magnets to work. The spirit ring is more forgiving.

Yes, mine are too, I've had the game for 15 or 16 years now. Spirit ring is flawless. and the saves appear to work but not if the ball is shooting fast past them. I can't believe their isn't some compensation for that to return the ball.

#1466 7 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

The game should just have a call out for when "You didn't have the magic!"

mine just tries to save and fails. the magnets activate but the ball gets through.

#1469 7 years ago

It gets it sometimes. If the ball Is bouncing between the lanes it will usually get it, but if ball Is just flying straight down Outlane most likely not.

Quoted from bhwolf:

Wow every time? I wonder if the magnets are poor/weak, or the eddy not sensitive enough that it's picking up the ball too late? That's the challenge I had before going to auto eddys -- too sensitive and it would go off for no reason, not sensitive enough and either not at all or too late. You might want to consider buying them.

#1481 7 years ago

tested my magnets yesterday by manually activating hocus pocus and then rolling the balls toward them, caught it just about every time so the magnets work, the ball just gets buy during gameplay which unfortunately without stronger magnets I don't think can be helped.

1 week later
#1503 7 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

let me put the question out again but getting to the point.
after vanishing the ball, is the ball supposed to come out during trunk multiball if you hadn't used tigersaw multiball yet?
if player 1 vanishes and drains, can player 2 use the previous players vanished ball during their trunk multiball?
I understand the first one, but the second.. why does it give player 2, player 1's ball if player 2 hadn't vanished the ball yet? I wanted to know if this was something else I needed to look into.

I think its just the way its programmed.

#1526 7 years ago

green or red loctite or superglue should put the gear on there. Common with little RC helicopters.

#1531 7 years ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

I just can't imagine this is a viable option

The helicopter motors spin much faster than this. As long as it's nearly the same size. It will work.

#1555 7 years ago

Honestly I looked at the picture, I looked at my playfield and I cannot tell what the issue is with the reproduction. They both look the same to me. The purple at the bottom doesn't look too bad either.

#1557 7 years ago

I agree for 1000 it would bother me. Otherwise not so much.

1 week later
#1579 7 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

No problem at all as I went off of what Drewblood419 did! He provided me with what he did to his! The only thing I did differently was I replace one of the 1SMDT10NWFT with a SLOW BLINKer in the upper most left socket. This is the LED that is behind the BALLY logo. I like that the BALLY logo flashed but would be better to have a FLEX LED as the light is a little low!
Anyhow, below is the order info I used for the backbox and a screenshot that DREWBLOOD419 provided so you can see where each were placed!

maybe its just the picture, but I see red blue green on the order form and in the back box it looks like at least one of those is cyan.

#1592 7 years ago

The 2smd from comet seems to be the best all around bulb from my studies so far and its cheaper than the pinballbulbs bulb at 75 cents a piece. I believe frosted bulbs would probably be good just about everywhere.

Quoted from MajorHavoc:

Thanks drewblood419 Does the G.I. OCD come pre-programmed? If not, how difficult is programming? And, what's the install like? Any soldering?
As far as LED's, I see pinballBulbs.com has one LED with different domes "depending on the look you want". Seems to be a "one size fits all" which, usually doesn't. And, they have about 6 different kits for ToM. Any thoughts on these kits?
Comet seems to just sell the LED's bulk. Is there a list somewhere of the different color/brightness/dome/etc and where they go on the machine? I can imagine getting a giant bag full of a dozen different types of LED's and I'll surely put them in the wrong places! lol
Thanks again for the help!

#1593 7 years ago
Quoted from nickbuol:

Drewblood419 is spot on. After many (many) times of people trying to describe to me what the G.I. OCD was actually doing (because I didn't notice a difference), a video was posted in here somewhat recently showing a side by side and the dimming. It is pretty distinct as to what is "missing" without the G.I. OCD.
That being said, I have a Pinduino installed on my TOM and it really masks the dimming flicker that happens without the G.I. OCD, so I may still skip adding it. It IS there still (the flicker) but just very much not very noticeable unless looking for it. Maybe someday if I have $150 burning a hole in my pocket, but the bang-to-buck ratio is a lot less now that I have the Pinduino.

I've watched the videos and honestly don't notice the difference with the GI OCD or not. Certainly not 150 dollars worth, but then people have a tendency to call me cheap.

#1598 7 years ago
Quoted from MajorHavoc:

Thanks nickbuol and robl45 good info. Sounds like the kit is the way for me. Do they provide some sort of map that shows where each type of LED goes?

Kit ends up costing roughly 100 dollars more typically.

1 week later
#1624 7 years ago

Definately the saw blade with the home rom. But try to build yourself as the price for the kit is insane.

#1630 7 years ago

I believe it does. Did you look at the instructions on Tom callahans site? I have the original prototype in my machine so I can try to offer some help.

Quoted from Tres:

I'm having problems with they DIY tiger saw mod. I have the 1.4H rom and U22 chip. The DIY says to use the TP2 for 5v and J125 pin 3.
In solenoid test, when I ground the volt meter to pin 3 and then connect to TP2 I don't get any voltage. If I ground the black lead from the volt meter to the chassis ground I get 5v from TP2. Does pin 3 send a ground signal to spin the saw?

#1632 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

you don't need the home rom, 1.3 is fine with it but that and colordmd is the best mod.

1.3 does not let the game control the tigersaw.

#1637 7 years ago
Quoted from Tres:

Thanks. Here's a video of the saw mod during test. The motor spins fine when I put 5v directly to it.
» YouTube video

You have the 1.4 rom right? I couldn't tell from the video. And you have the EMI driver board as well?

#1651 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

It does on mine! Will post a video tomorrow!

Yes, you hit the ball and it triggers a switch. With 1.4 it activates when tiger saw multball is active as well as tiger saw illusion, not just when hitting the ball.

1 month later
#1711 7 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

your wives play pinball?

Mine Will only play no good gofers

1 month later
#1780 6 years ago
Quoted from nickbuol:

Same thing happened to me when I added a Pinduino (on top of the ColorDMD, motorized saw, etc) and it was more than the TOM could take.
It is due to a limited 5v source for all of the "goodies" that we all add.
Could be that something is going bad, but more than likely it is just too much of a draw on the 5v source than the machine can handle and then it resets.
Easiest solution is to buy a small plug-and-play board specifically made for this problem $29 fixed my problem...
http://www.kahr.us/daughterboard.html

Yea, I'm likely going to add this too at some point. Mine does it pretty rarely but enough that it pisses the kids off in the middle of a game. Since the other games don't do it and this one has the spinning tigersaw, it has to be the saw drawing a little too much power at times I would guess.

1 week later
#1788 6 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

Are your balls magnetized? I would check that first.

Mine are blue, I'm married.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

1 week later
#1806 6 years ago
Quoted from nickbuol:

The answer is buried in the question... Red pill or blue pill....
Sorry.
No there is no single correct answer. They all seem to work well.
I just was sharing the research that I did a year or whatever ago. Someone else could so the same amount of research into the foam, or Dynamat, or some other method that none of us have thought of. It was just that information that led me to *my* decision. Someone else's decision may be "foam is cheap, and I have some sitting right here" (low or no cost, super fast/easy to do, etc)... That may be their decision tree in picking that approach.
There is one thing that we know does NOT work, and that is doing nothing with the trunk.

Well you can just buy a new trunk when the old one gets damaged.

5 months later
#2131 6 years ago

Anyone using a playfield protector on this? Any pros and cons?

#2136 6 years ago
Quoted from nickbuol:

There is a whole discussion about Playfield Protectors Here --> https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-protector-full-sheet-plastic
I just started reading the first page, but initial comments seem to be favorable. Not the same as a restore/clearcoat, but a lot cheaper and less money. Also not sure how long they last, or if anyone has impressions of it after putting one in a TOM.
So I am not answering your question directly, but trying to offer some sort of assistance that might be helpful.

Yep, read that thoroughly already, figured I'd ask about the specific games. Some say its great, others say it scratched and ball gets hung up at places.

#2147 6 years ago

Just curious, but what do you think a Remake will cost?

Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

ToM Remake: is it in the pipeline?
Hi.
I'm not a ToM owner, but I do love the pin.
I would love to find one for sale, but I was told something recently which gives me pause:
A very astute pinball-industry veteran said, "I wouldn't step up and pay what ToM is fetching these days when there's a chance it will be remade."
So, I'm asking, what have you all heard about the prospects of a ToM remake? And who would do it? Chicago Gaming Co?
Lastly, does a person really have lay out at least six large for a ToM in the current market?
Thanks.
Jason

#2155 6 years ago

I can't imagine a remake is under 6500. Are TOMS going for that much?

#2167 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

If you're asking me, I would expect the remake to cost $7-8K. I *believe* that's the price point on MMr and AFMr.

The point I was making is the remakes aren't any cheaper than the original, maybe even more money. For a game going for stupid money maybe it makes sense.

AFMr really bothers me as that was a cheaper game initially, the only reason its expensive is it turned out to be quite a fun game. Still the actual costs to make it are not that high and charging essentially the same price for AFM and MM is ridiculous.

2 weeks later
#2197 6 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I don't think that's close to the value, so you're good. Nothing gets played more than my ToM. Every amateur universally says it's their favorite (my friends who are competitive players get bored, but I'm not that good so it's perfect for me).
I've been contemplating doing a full restore on it but we play it too much to tear it down. I'll wait until something breaks.

I like NGG myself, my daughter likes the TOM and I like it as well, but it is true what people say that its a bit easy and I'm not a very good player.

3 weeks later
#2251 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Who has best price on spinning saw blade mod? Thx. Think I can build the trunk chain mod myself.

There is a post on here somewhere detailing how to make the mod yourself using the directions that are still available from Tom Callahan. I have that version in my machine for years and it works great and much cheaper than what is sold now. Only downside is I think it causes the game to reset every once in awhile.

1 week later
#2273 6 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

If you are using ROM 1.4h, you attach your GND to J125 pin 3. Then it will turn on during the Tiger Saw illusion/captive ball hits.

You woudl need the board that goes with the kit. I don't remember the name of the little board you need to connect to.

2 weeks later
#2311 6 years ago

should be EMI board, should be able to google it. I believe the twilight zone one is the main one.

Is the mod plugged onto the right pin and are you use 1.4 rom?

#2319 6 years ago

Its not rocket science. The saw gets a pulse of electric to turn it on or constant to stay on, if its running all the time, it sounds like its hooked up to the wrong place.

2 weeks later
#2337 6 years ago

its a trap door, its supposed to squeak, adds to the ambiance.

#2349 6 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Ok, here's one for you experienced ToM people. This has happened to me twice.
I'm on 1.4H. I'm at about 999M. I hit the last right orbit needed to go to Midnight Madness. The machine freezes, with only the top row of pixels showing on the DMD, and reboots.
Anyone else seen this? Bug? I'd say it was a 5v issue, but it's not like a big light show was going on at the time...and I've cleaned up my power driver board and it has very stable 5v.

I don't know if I've seen it like that but mine reboots sometimes, not often enough to make it worth my while to figure out whats wrong. I think the motorized saw is overloading it.

4 weeks later
#2373 6 years ago
Quoted from adii:

Lol, wow. No, no I do not. I'm ordering colored rubbers tonight. Can't decide between purple or translucent. I have the unbreakable trunk and plastic protectors. I've emailed Cliffy but he must be swamped, I need to find them somewhere else. LED's and Color DMD are next. Then mirror blades and brass.
I've never done a powered sub, just Pinball Pro. I want the saw mod but don't care for the lighted mirror for some reason. I've only seen them as a set.

Did you order the rubbers? I haven't yet for my games but probably would do purple. Translucent just sounds like dirty to me after a little bit.

#2378 6 years ago

when I order rubbers I'm ordering from Titan pinball. Huge selection of rubbers and their service was top notch when I ordered flipper protectors.

1 week later
#2389 6 years ago

Its been years since I did this but I don't remember taking any molex pins out of connectors although that could be possible. I do remember that I had the same symtoms of the trunk being loose and I had to open up the gear box and tighten it up from inside. There was a gear loose on the rod that comes out or something like that.

#2392 6 years ago

I'm pretty sure its going to be inside. I believe there is a gear attached to the metal rod inside that gets loose. I remember back when I did this everyone was replacing their gearboxes because the trunk was loose which if you think about it makes no sense because the speed that gearbox moves, its almost impossible to wear it out and if I remember everything the whole gearbox is solid metal.

#2396 6 years ago
Quoted from F348:

Problem solved
Had to open the gearbox and tight these two screws.
Trunk now spins very well
Thanks guys

Did you use loctite on the screws so hopefully you won't be doing it again? Did you use some sort of grease in there?

#2399 6 years ago
Quoted from F348:

No, I didn't but I did tight those two screws pretty well, it ain't moving now, and after 23 years of use, these are almost bound to come loose sooner or later, but for now I think it'll hold for many years.
Yes, the gearbox had plenty of grease, and all the cogs are getting lubrication

I have a feeling you will be doing it again in the not too distance future. I really would open it up and loctite it so you'll likely never have to do it again.

#2401 6 years ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

I wouldn’t loctite anything trunk related. If you absolutely feel like you have to, use green or blue.

locktite is made for metal to metal. Of course it should be loctited. A little blue on the screws and it should hold for life.

#2404 6 years ago

Wow, that will surely turn out beautiful. A bit too extreme for me. These things already cost enough as it is.

1 week later
#2418 6 years ago

I believe he meant the difference between the cherry switch and generic.

3 weeks later
#2444 6 years ago

I believe you should't have nuts there, the hex posts are the nut.

3 years later
#3379 2 years ago

Hello,

I got a little behind with life and all that. Is this still the best recommendation to paint an area of the front of the backbox? And if this is still the best recommendation would satin work better? It doesn't really look like Semi gloss.

#3380 2 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

Hello,
I got a little behind with life and all that. Is this still the best recommendation to paint an area of the front of the backbox? And if this is still the best recommendation would satin work better? It doesn't really look like Semi gloss.

Oh and there is like Krylon fusion, colormaxx, etc, Is there a certain Krylon Black?

#3383 2 years ago

Any new technology with LED's, I contemplated changing them years ago in my machines, but everyone said their were issues, does it still require OCD LED and GI LED boards?

#3385 2 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

I have LED OCD boards in 3 of my machines (WH20, TOTAN, Black Rose). I don't have them in TOM because I'm satisfied with the performance of the LED's as-is. I'm using mostly Comet 2SMD's by the way.

I guess the question is more of, do you still need them, have LED's gotten to the point that it isn't an issue anymore?

1 month later
#3409 2 years ago

What do I do for outlane eddy? At least one appears to be bad. I only seem to be able to find the 1-2 part number which appears to be for the trunk and not the outlanes.

Thanks

Rob

#3411 2 years ago

Get all 3 replacments from the Australians, they are really the best:
https://www.tanglestech.com/TPP-1023

They out of stock.

#3414 2 years ago

Yea, I'm really trying to avoid the full thing as my trunk works fine.

#3415 2 years ago

Did you try the calibration?
You might have to rebuild the board while waiting for replacements, its not too bad.
Most of the time its just the Pot that goes bad. Fitting a new, better one is pretty easy.
There are some posts on this.

You mean adjusting the pot? I haven't yet, I have done it before. I'm getting some type of sensor error when I start the machine so I figured the board is probably done. Could you point me to the post on changing the pot? If its just the pot I could probably handle. I've been soldering for over 30 years, but little boards is not my expertise.

1 week later
#3419 2 years ago

I did adjust the eddy that was giving me problems and that appears to work, but still hoping to find the auto eddys as I can't imagine this is going to work forever.

1 week later
#3420 2 years ago

Kylon fusion or colormax satin black is a very close match.

After 10 years or so I'm finally ready to repair the top of this game. I have the color to use. Can I get some suggestions on what is the best way product to fill in the damage? I was originally thinking bondo, but that is a pain to sand etc, then I was thinking wood filler, but have no experience with what brand product might work best for this. Obvioiusly top isn't going to match well, mainly concerned with filling in the front top and painting the top left corner so that it looks normal from the front.

IMG-0295 (resized).jpgIMG-0295 (resized).jpg
#3425 2 years ago

Bondo is the definitive filler to use.

planning on using this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NJDAJY/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_4

Found on another thread on here that said use either this or Bondo and this looks like it will be a bit easier than bondo especially if I can get it relatively smooth in one shot.

#3427 2 years ago

That will work.
I find that Bondo is easier to feather out and I use Half-Time to glaze over imperfections after the Bondo.

unfortunately, the halftime is 6 times the price of the jbweld wood filler alone.

#3428 2 years ago

That will work.
I find that Bondo is easier to feather out and I use Half-Time to glaze over imperfections after the Bondo.
You can also just use Half-Time but its not as strong as bondo on corners.
Ideally if its a corner, I use kitty hair to reinforce the corner and use half-time to glaze over it before primer and paint.

are you saying I have to prime before painting? I was just going to get some krylon fusion spray paint, spray it in a cup and use a little paint brush to touchup the top left corner that can be seen when you aren't on a ladder.

#3431 2 years ago

Resin is the only sure way and any glazing compound will work.
I have tried the cheap red bondo glazing putty over the resin, it works ok if you let it dry overnight, but it doesnt dry hard like half-time. Its softer but easier to sand.

I'm a little confused by the terminology, is resin the bondo or is resin the kitty hair? And what is the glaze used for, halftime, red glaze or otherwise?

1 week later
#3437 2 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Metal file and make it smooth again? Does it always work fine in test mode?

Thats what I was thinking, metal file.

1 month later
#3453 2 years ago
Quoted from EZ-Rhino:

Appreciate the tip... I'll give it a try. I wish someone over the years was able to come up with a mod that would fix this issue since it is endemic to basically all ToMs... oh well.

Looks somewhat like what happens with the NGG slam ramp. Maybe just and just put some felt under the ramp to stop the wear. I was told many years ago that the amount of play the game gets at home isn't going to wear much anyway. I can't imagine it is wearing like that from playing at home.

1 week later
#3481 2 years ago

2.0 is an official release sorta...
I purchased a new matching security chip when I bought the 2.0 ROM, it was recommended somewhere...
The outlane ball saver clinched it for me, as too many times the magnet didnt stop the ball.
Now if that happens you get a new ball in play via the shooter lane.

I have been on 1.4H for years (like day it came out). Do we need the new security chip or old one. I don't remember if I ever changed the security chip, but I feel like I might have.

#3484 2 years ago

So I need to swap the old security chip back then assuming I could find it or buy a new one?

#3491 2 years ago

Where do you guys get your balls? I have Kens mirror glazed from like 20 years ago, and he ain't making them anymore. Does anyone recommend a good source?

#3492 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Did you ever figure this out? I’m with you on not clipping to a test point. If you have a link to what you used, would appreciate it!

I believe the problem is that point TP1 is the part that runs the tiger saw with the modified ROM.

#3504 2 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

Where do you guys get your balls? I have Kens mirror glazed from like 20 years ago, and he ain't making them anymore. Does anyone recommend a good source?

anyone?

#3506 2 years ago
Quoted from Skatewake:

Try Marco. They have two types, one for games with magnets and one for no magnets.

I ordered the Ninja balls from Ball Barron as they seem to get good reviews. This game as well as DR. Dude has some magnets, NGG I believe doesn't have magnets. Will I have a problem with the balls magnetizing?

#3512 2 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

ToM has two outlane magnets, one large magnet inside one of the trunk faces (captures for multiball) and also a large magnet as ramp diverter. I would not recommend using pinballs prone to be magnetized in this game.

I thought of the outlanes and remembered the ramp diverter after ordering. I forgot about the trunk. Oh well, They were fairly cheap so I'm not overly worried.

#3520 2 years ago
Quoted from Mischa:

Checked and adjusted a little. This looks better now, but the ball really comes to the tip of the left flipper.

Its been a long time since I messed with the trunk gearbox, but I'm wondering if maybe the metal post that the trunk attaches to could be adjusted slightly with the setscrews in the gearbox.

#3528 2 years ago

I looked into the unbreakable trunik, for the price I could replace my trunk mulitple times and I don't play that much.

#3534 2 years ago
Quoted from nickbuol:

I used a small fiberglass kit and reinforced the inside of my NOS truck when I put it in my TOM a few years ago. Still looks brand new. Then again, it isn't like mine gets played a ton anyway...

Yup, mine is broken a little on the bottom, but not even worth me swapping it out yet, I think I have a brand new one sitting in the garage. For the amount it gets played it wasn't worth it. I think it was like almost 200 dollars or something.

#3535 2 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Normally when adjusting the kickout angle for an assembly you loosen the screws attaching it to the playfield, rotate it all a bit sideways and tighten it back again. Have you tried this?

Also can make sure the game is level and with some trial and error if the rotating doesn't fix it and the game is level, could likely put some felt dots or whatever on the top of the trap door to cause the ball to get angled more in the direction that it needs to go.

#3537 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

I have another ongoing issue I've posted about in another thread. I lose music occasionally and twice I've had resets. I can't see any board damage and the batteries are off the board.
Previous owner said the power board was rebuilt so I'm not sure where to look. It's rare but annoying.

Yup, tried everything I could think of!
For now I have resolved it by adding some little furniture bumpers secured with electrical tape to the underside of the popper coil bracket.
So that the plunger armature thing travels less distance and therefore doesn't fire the ball so hard.
But still have the correct springs on order hoping they will resolve it.

I have the same issue as you stated above, once in awhile I get resets, We honestly don't play the games enough for it to be a major issue, but there is some device you can buy for like 35 dollars that piggybacks on the board and provides constant power.

1 month later
#3556 2 years ago
Quoted from Digduglus:

Joined the club about a week ago! A collector had it in his home the last 20 years. Needs a cleaning but the pf is beautiful. Just started the upgrade to LEDS on the inserts, what bulbs to people use under the pf right behind the captive ball? (Not the flasher, the wedge)
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

A collector that didn't' know the shooter knob was incorrect for the game? I've contemplated LED's over the years, but last time I did it, it would have been another 400 plus in boards to get them to work correctly, you don't really want to lose the dimming features by using LED's.

1 week later
#3566 1 year ago
Quoted from dq13:

Is there anyway to loosen up a sticky microswitch? It's the one at the rear of the captive ball lane. Can I get any cheaper than trying to repair a sticky microswitch?

I'm cheap and I would just buy a new one.

2 weeks later
#3572 1 year ago

how are you breaking these things that you need protectors? I haven't had any issues really, besides my wife's friends husband who beat on the machine and broke the trunk.

#3577 1 year ago

You should be able to put in a 2.0 rom. I just put one in, haven't done much playing yet, but all seems fine. I agree on the saw, I run an original plastic one myself, I'm not a fan of a spinning metal object around wood. Things can and do get loose over time.

#3582 1 year ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

My TOM was restored by HEP (Chris Hutchins) and I took delivery of it in April of 2010. You can see by the photo of my trunk how HEP treated this post issue.
Gord
[quoted image]

That appears to be standard. Mine is the same way, it looks like someone used the hole for a post on the other persons probably because the ball was getting stuck because of the wrong rubber on the post next to it. Your game is missing the rubber on the post entirely.

#3584 1 year ago

The little mini-post thru the t-nut is to keep balls from jamming on the right of the trunk when it turns.
Some have a rubber, some dont.
Either way it seems to work well enough.

I have one post and I don't have issues with that, either way with no rubber on a post there, its just asking for dented balls.

1 month later
#3648 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Same on mine, and I adjusted the leafs and still not real active.

I haven't done this in a long time, but I made them real active on dr. dude, probably too active, it is just a matter of adjusting the switches so a slight touch makes them go, Then you have to finesse it between them going off randomly and not active enough.

1 month later
#3682 1 year ago

Yep, I have NVRAM on two games. Basically because I messed up the boards leaving batteries in when they went in storage when my daughter was born. Damn kids always costing me money. Anyway, one I had to replace with a new board that was slotted to take the NVRAM, the other the batteries corroded and basically the battery holder needed to come off and we had to replace with a socket for NVRAM. Nice person offered to do the soldering for me, been doing this type of work for 40 plus years. Still managed to break traces and had to jump one. My TOM I was able to clean the battery holder out and all is good for years now. Plus I understand NVRAM messes with midnight madness. So IMHO some things are just simpler to leave alone. LED all the rage in pins, yet for the older ones, you talking spending 300 plus in boards just to make them work right. Not really worth it IMHO

#3696 1 year ago

If unsure, order the matching security chip at the same time.
Tell Dave what you need he will take care of you:
https://www.pinballrom.com/

I get you mean well, but the security chip isn't a dollar. My understanding is, if you don't have the home ROM that required a new security chip, you should be fine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robl45.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-club?tu=Robl45 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.