DSCN3293 (resized).JPG
DSCN3292 (resized).JPG
DSCN3291 (resized).JPG
DSCN3290 (resized).JPG
DSCN3289 (resized).JPG
DSCN3288 (resized).JPG
DSCN3287 (resized).JPG
IMG_2893 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Les73gtx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2586 5 years ago

Just Picked up a ToM last week, so I would like to join the club.
This game has been on my wishlist for a while now and finally found a good unit that was 95% home use. I can not verify the first 5 years but the previous owner had it since 2000. It was on location someplace in the first 5 years of life as it has some holes it the cabinet where a lock bar was installed over the coin door. it has been sitting in a finished basement not used for the last 3 or more years. It has some surface corrosion on the rails and trough and some on the lockdown assembly. Really clean other than those things
Played it for 2 days and started fixing a few lights and the trunk was not registering hits so I tuned those up and got it working. On the 3rd day, the wife wanted to play it and she played about 5 games back to back before going to work. All good, later that same day I turned it on and I had no DMD but the game played fine, I played a round to see if it would come back but no go. I turned it off and googled the problem and found where to check voltages and what they should read. Got my trusty meter out and flipped the switch and I got a big pop thump and buzzing and no game at all. I quickly turn it off and think WTF just happened ... I see fuse F105 had popped so I put in a new 3A SB and tried it again with the same results of course. So I did some research in the manual and online, unplugged J130, J126, and J125 and started it again with a new fuse. This time the machine stays running but all I get is the sound bong for startup and nothing else, CPU board LED's are correctly lit and flashing and so is the DMD board and then I see no 12v LED on the Driver board.
So here I am looking through the schematics and manual and honestly, electronics are not my strong suit, but I know and am confident enough to be dangerous. I have called in some help and they will be here next week to examine the driver board but honestly thinking about going to a Rottendog board.
Sorry, such a long first post but I would like to know if you all recommend the 300 dollar Rottendog Driver board for this game?

#2593 5 years ago
Quoted from nightsearcher:

I put a Rottendog drvr board in my BOP and my TAF and never had a problem yet

Thanks I also have a BoP and had the board repaired, after I got it back it works great but I have half as much as a new board into it ... so next time it goes out I will be into it again ...

Quoted from embryon:

I have one that was in my tom and is now sitting in a cupboard not working. My original had been hacked that's why i replaced it but it's back in again working fine. My opinion is not positive for rottendog

what was the trouble with Rottendog in the ToM? Just curious...

2018-10-18 14.52.50 (resized).jpg2018-10-18 14.52.50 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#2610 5 years ago

These look good ... are you selling them? is there a link to your store? I went to your site but it is a foreign language to me.

1 month later
#2630 5 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Okay it’s certainly worth checking as now even the music sequence for multiball is now incorrect. I do still have to hit a third ball onto the magnet but there is now a delay then no music

Sounding more like a ribbon cable problem ... my suggestions are start with reseating all the ribbon cables, while you have them off inspect for any damage, these will not take any kind of damage well so even slight things like scrapes and folds can be a problem.
Next try reseating the involved connectors with the eddy boards and also on the driver board.
With my ToM I found that the 5V regulator was not in spec so I replaced that and a lot of my strange ghost problems went away and allowed me to find the other real problems like dirty and bad optos

remember it is 35 years old and may not have had a great life so some TLC is normally needed

#2635 5 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Thanks mate
Didn’t realise TOM was made in 1983! All jokes aside I’ve been reseating the lamp board connector that houses all the Magic & Theatre letters and the problems seem to have subsided.

Glad to help ... lol either my fat fingers or the new math take your pick ... I would invest in a set of ribbon cables

6 months later
#2812 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Oh, that goes above the captive ball, right?
Nope, you can't get that one outside of a kit as far as I can tell. That was one I needed and I ended up just getting the whole set because it wasn't available. The thing is that I also couldn't find part numbers for the items nor reliably used on sites. Some use "1" and "2" for the plastic numbers. It seems like it wasn't so popular back then to worry about it.
Might be an option for you. Are you looking for brand new? I also have a used one if you just need anything that works.
ebay.com link

I think he is talking about the right ramp, (Metamorphosis / Spirit Ring) not the left side of the playfield. The plastic you are looking for I have not been able to find and it does not come in the plastic set that I bought from eBay so I had to make my own. My old one started just after the metal ramp flap and covered half of the ramp all the way to the switch on the one way gate. yes it is a crescent moon or hot dog shape.

** EDIT ** Sorry I could not get the picture to load at first .... so that is not the plastic I thought he was talking about .... the one he circled in his photo is the plastic that goes in the very back right hand of the machine where the left orbit shot (Vanish shot) goes past the pops and travels to the wire ramp that come back to the right inlane / flipper .... mine was broken beyond repair and the plastics set I got had that one .

2 months later
#2842 4 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

If you need some let me know. I just swapped out the originals for the Pinbits board, so I have some extras laying around. It was worth the $200 for me to not have to ever mess with adjusting them, but if you want the boards that you manually adjust I have 5 I would sell you cheap.

I will take the old manual ones if you have them .... all 5 if they are not spoken for.

PM me and I can PayPal you.

Thanks

#2843 4 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

I'm looking for a for an exterior trunk replacement. The one currently on the machine I found is pretty chewed up in a couple spots. I'm looking for a good replacement, and I've seen several things about "indestructible" trunks. Looking for recommendations.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unbreakable-trunk-for-the-theatre-of-magic/page/10#post-5110127

I have one and it is incredible I will be ordering 2 more come December when he does another run ... I know 2 people that want one ... I will never have to have spares again

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Wanted
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Les73gtx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-club?tu=Les73gtx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.