tom (resized).png
close up (resized).JPG
screw (resized).JPG
Set screw (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
shaft (resized).JPG
Bracket (resized).JPG
IMG_9751 (resized).jpeg
There are 4,366 posts in this topic. You are on page 88 of 88.
#4351 32 days ago

Eddie sensors suck arse.
They are too sensitive and subject to drift over time.
I'm not sure of the "Tangles" improvements; but if temperature and voltage compensation isn't in the design... then it's still flawed.

1 week later
#4352 21 days ago

Hey TOM enthusiasts! I’ve been on a quest for a subway ramp for my Theatre of Magic (TOM) machine and it’s been a wild ride with no luck so far. Can you believe it? Despite reaching out to the big names like Starship Fantasy, Planetary Pinball, and Mr. Pinball AU, my search has been fruitless. They’ve turned their warehouses upside down for me, but it seems the original tooling might have been tossed after TOM’s production or Williams’ shutdown.

I’ve also knocked on the doors of Ramp-O-Matic, but the apparant lack of demand for this replacement part from others has left me at a bit of a dead end.

So here I am, once again turning to you, the crème de la crème of TOM owners, in hopes that one of you has a spare subway and/or a 3D printer. Your noble deed would not only save my TOM but could be a beacon for others in our community. I’m ready to support and compensate for your efforts and costs!

If 3D printing isn’t your jam, maybe there’s a metalwork maestro who can craft a sleek ramp? I’m all ears for any solution that keeps the magic alive and the balls rolling.

This could be a game-changer for all TOM lovers out there, given the scarcity of parts. I’m keeping the vibe light because, hey, it’s just a plastic part. But what’s serious is my faith in the Pinside community’s spirit of helping each other out.

If you’re up for the challenge, slide into my PMs. A huge thanks in advance! Pics of my machine and the subway ramp are below! Sadly, balls currently just fall directly to the bottom cabinet after entering the trunk... what a shame (I'm kidding, of course)!

Cheers, -Runofkings

IMG_1463 (resized).jpegIMG_1463 (resized).jpegScreenshot 2023-03-13 at 7.18.43 PM (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-03-13 at 7.18.43 PM (resized).png
#4353 21 days ago
Quoted from runofkings:

Hey TOM enthusiasts! I’ve been on a quest for a subway ramp for my Theatre of Magic (TOM) machine and it’s been a wild ride with no luck so far. Can you believe it? Despite reaching out to the big names like Starship Fantasy, Planetary Pinball, and Mr. Pinball AU, my search has been fruitless. They’ve turned their warehouses upside down for me, but it seems the original tooling might have been tossed after TOM’s production or Williams’ shutdown.
I’ve also knocked on the doors of Ramp-O-Matic, but the apparant lack of demand for this replacement part from others has left me at a bit of a dead end.
So here I am, once again turning to you, the crème de la crème of TOM owners, in hopes that one of you has a spare subway and/or a 3D printer. Your noble deed would not only save my TOM but could be a beacon for others in our community. I’m ready to support and compensate for your efforts and costs!
If 3D printing isn’t your jam, maybe there’s a metalwork maestro who can craft a sleek ramp? I’m all ears for any solution that keeps the magic alive and the balls rolling.
This could be a game-changer for all TOM lovers out there, given the scarcity of parts. I’m keeping the vibe light because, hey, it’s just a plastic part. But what’s serious is my faith in the Pinside community’s spirit of helping each other out.
If you’re up for the challenge, slide into my PMs. A huge thanks in advance! Pics of my machine and the subway ramp are below! Sadly, balls currently just fall directly to the bottom cabinet after entering the trunk... what a shame (I'm kidding, of course)!
Cheers, -Runofkings
[quoted image][quoted image]

I would simply repair the ramp while waiting for one to pop up.

they are easy to repair with a little fiberglass tape and epoxy.

#4354 20 days ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I would simply repair the ramp while waiting for one to pop up.
they are easy to repair with a little fiberglass tape and epoxy.

That's the good thing about fixing something that's below the playfield. I understand about having things look nice, but for me, if I can't see it and it works, it's good!

#4355 19 days ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

20 years in and still no damage to the gearbox on my game.
I would say its a successful mod.
The article you reference shows how NOT to do it.
You add the bolt as shown, then install a steel post sleeve with the notch for a ring, over the bolt.
Add a rubber ring, put a nylock nut on top, and youre done.
Basically reproducing the post right next to it in your picture (which is not factory).
this way its much wider and the balls do NOT go past it.

Thanks for this helpful explanation. It's good to know that there are a variety of successful ways to tackle this tricky problem. There is nothing worse than a ball catching in that little pocket in the middle of a great game!

I'm curious, since you believe that my setup isn't factory, can you confirm what you believe the factory configuration was for the post by the trunk? Ray Johnson confirmed mine as being the proper post setup on IPDB (see below picture), but I suppose he didn't say it was "factory." I believe this is also how Chris sets TOM games to factory at HEP.

Screenshot 2024-06-24 061014 (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-06-24 061014 (resized).png
#4356 18 days ago
Quoted from runofkings:

Thanks for this helpful explanation. It's good to know that there are a variety of successful ways to tackle this tricky problem. There is nothing worse than a ball catching in that little pocket in the middle of a great game!
I'm curious, since you believe that my setup isn't factory, can you confirm what you believe the factory configuration was for the post by the trunk? Ray Johnson confirmed mine as being the proper post setup on IPDB (see below picture), but I suppose he didn't say it was "factory." I believe this is also how Chris sets TOM games to factory at HEP.
[quoted image]

The factory configuration allows balls to get trapped next to the ramp and crack the ramp after awhile.

Anything done to solve this is a good thing.

#4357 14 days ago

I'll be a new owner as of Sunday. The machine I'm buying has a new trunk and motor. I plan to test those out while I'm there, but was looking to see if there are any other potential flaws I should be on the lookout for. I also plan on testing the ball save magnet at the outlane to see how that's functioning. Thanks in advance!

#4358 10 days ago
Quoted from blazingsaddlz:

I'll be a new owner as of Sunday. The machine I'm buying has a new trunk and motor. I plan to test those out while I'm there, but was looking to see if there are any other potential flaws I should be on the lookout for. I also plan on testing the ball save magnet at the outlane to see how that's functioning. Thanks in advance!

Most anything can be tuned or fixed, but insert wear on the main illusion inserts is pretty hard to fix so look out for that. Also apparently the subway is super hard to find?

#4359 7 days ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Eddie sensors suck arse.

You got that right.
Anyone know the R2 pot value on the eddy board so I can throw that in to see if it makes any difference?

#4360 7 days ago

I'm remembering 10k, but a lot has happened since I worked on those for the mirror universe.
Consult the schematics.

#4361 7 days ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Consult the schematics.

Yes, the schematic I looked at does not give that info, just R2. It's listed in the parts section. But no real reference, and 2,305 parts listed. I'll take 10k and see if that somehow cross references it. Thank you!

#4362 7 days ago
Quoted from Seamlesswall:

You got that right.
Anyone know the R2 pot value on the eddy board so I can throw that in to see if it makes any difference?

When I replaced mine, I used a 10k.

Dave

#4363 7 days ago

10K 15 turn pot is your best replacement instead of a single turn pot.

The adjustment is much less prone to drift with a multi-turn pot.

#4364 7 days ago

I use 10K 25 turn pots for use in medical equipment. Never had any temp problems after replacement.

Potentiometer_25_Turns_Trim_Pot_LRG-628x628 (resized).jpgPotentiometer_25_Turns_Trim_Pot_LRG-628x628 (resized).jpg

#4365 7 days ago
Quoted from georgio:

I use 10K 25 turn resistors for use in medical equipment. Never had any temp problems after replacement.
[quoted image]

Good choice, as long as the guy adjusting the pot realizes it's many turns to get to where it needs to be. Especially if the unknown is CW or CCW....

#4366 6 days ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

10K 15 turn pot is your best replacement instead of a single turn pot.

Well then! That makes a lot of sense, I begin to track one down, thank you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Steel Tiger Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Waterford Township, MI
$ 11.95
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

8,729 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

There are 4,366 posts in this topic. You are on page 88 of 88.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.