DSCN3289 (resized).JPG
DSCN3288 (resized).JPG
DSCN3287 (resized).JPG
IMG_2893 (resized).jpg
IMG_2892 (resized).jpg
IMG_2894 (resized).jpg
65349_1_600x600[1] (resized).jpg
403602218_7138311299522721_1093606024972246988_n (resized).jpg

There are 4,285 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 86.
#4201 3 months ago

Hello all, while enjoying my theatre of magic I've encountered something I wish to change. The tension on the flipper buttons seems very weak to me. Is this a factory opto operated switch for the buttons? It appears to be a a piece of plastic that provides the tension. Is there a way to change this so it kind of snaps back more if you know what I mean

Thanks

20231121_182245 (resized).jpg20231121_182245 (resized).jpg
#4202 3 months ago
Quoted from Scott250r:

Hello all, while enjoying my theatre of magic I've encountered something I wish to change. The tension on the flipper buttons seems very weak to me. Is this a factory opto operated switch for the buttons? It appears to be a a piece of plastic that provides the tension. Is there a way to change this so it kind of snaps back more if you know what I mean
Thanks
[quoted image]

Yes. You're missing the steel spring lever piece: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-14348.1

Here is a picture of the entire assembly with the steel spring lever installed: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-17316

#4203 3 months ago

Hi, have a problem, when i plug the trunk light, other light lights up ! Any idear ?

Thanks

Ps:

This is, what i just found ! Diode seem be an 1N4004. Dont know if it's the good one ??

FB_IMG_1700659282749 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1700659282749 (resized).jpg
#4204 3 months ago
Quoted from gizmo33:

Hi, have a problem, when i plug the trunk light, other light lights up ! Any idear ?
Thanks
Ps:
This is, what i just found ! Diode seem be an 1N4004. Dont know if it's the good one ??
[quoted image]

Thats not a factory setup.

Test the diode with a meter. IN4004 is a standard diode and is perfect for all of them in a pinball game. There are a lot of them.

I buy them 100 at a time, very inexpensive.

#4205 3 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Thats not a factory setup.
Test the diode with a meter. IN4004 is a standard diode and is perfect for all of them in a pinball game. There are a lot of them.
I buy them 100 at a time, very inexpensive.

Ok thanks for the answer. I want to change for the factory setup, do you know the good setup ?

#4206 3 months ago
Quoted from gizmo33:

Ok thanks for the answer. I want to change for the factory setup, do you know the good setup ?

It sounds like the diode is bad if multiple lamps light up, or its backwards.

Its missing the heat shrink on both leads.

here is a reference picture:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-20029

Your diode is on the opposite leg from the picture and is likely backwards.

#4207 3 months ago

It sounds like the diode is bad if multiple lamps light up, or its backwards.
Its missing the heat shrink on both leads.
here is a reference picture:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-20029

Ok thank for the help !

I'll take a closer look! However, if the diode is upside down, I think the LED would not light up.

#4208 3 months ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Yes. You're missing the steel spring lever piece: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-14348.1
Here is a picture of the entire assembly with the steel spring lever installed: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-17316

Thanks for the help!!

#4209 3 months ago
Quoted from gizmo33:

Ok thank for the help !
I'll take a closer look! However, if the diode is upside down, I think the LED would not light up.

This may be true, however if its shorted or on the wrong leg, other lamps will ight up along with it.

#4210 3 months ago

A socket is NOT polarized. There is no such thing as a "right" or "wrong" leg. One tab of the socket connects to the bulb. The other tab connects to the bulb. If the bulb is incandescent then there is a filament of wire that glows when current flows through it. If the bulb is LED and it's a bulb made for a pinball machine then it won't care which direction the current is flowing.

Quoted from gizmo33:

However, if the diode is upside down, I think the LED would not light up.

Make sure the wiring follows the wiring diagram (which is the same for all lamps in the lamp matrix). You are correct that if the diode is functioning correctly but installed "upside down" or "backwards" the lamp will not illuminate.

lamp_matrix_wiring_diagram.jpglamp_matrix_wiring_diagram.jpg

#4211 3 months ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

A socket is NOT polarized. There is no such thing as a "right" or "wrong" leg. One tab of the socket connects to the bulb. The other tab connects to the bulb. If the bulb is incandescent then there is a filament of wire that glows when current flows through it. If the bulb is LED and it's a bulb made for a pinball machine then it won't care which direction the current is flowing.

Make sure the wiring follows the wiring diagram (which is the same for all lamps in the lamp matrix). You are correct that if the diode is functioning correctly but installed "upside down" or "backwards" the lamp will not illuminate.
[quoted image]

Thanks Victor!

Your help is always appreciated!

#4212 3 months ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

[quoted image]

Thank you very much for the help provided. Indeed, I have the LED that works, just other LEDs that flash at the same time when I connect the cables under the plate. Based on everything I've read here, I'm only left with three possibilities:

1 - LED not suitable for a pinball machine
2 - HS DIODE
3 - Wiring problem!

Besides, I have an unplugged outlet nearby (6 pins), but it seems to me that it's normal, can you confirm?

403602218_7138311299522721_1093606024972246988_n (resized).jpg403602218_7138311299522721_1093606024972246988_n (resized).jpg
#4213 3 months ago
Quoted from gizmo33:

Based on everything I've read here, I'm only left with three possibilities:

You have something that is not factory in that image you provided. Since it is not factory, I would start there. The other obvious thing to ask is, was it always like this or did you change something recently?

Quoted from gizmo33:

Besides, I have an unplugged outlet nearby (6 pins), but it seems to me that it's normal, can you confirm?

That looks like a bunch of red wires only. Not really relevant. I think that's factory. It looks it.

#4214 3 months ago

Bumping for visibility

Quoted from tlon:

Hello again -
I shopped my ToM and added several mods last year - I’ve been running into a small issue ever since: during gameplay I will get an extra ball added into launch position. (The game is aware of the extra ball on the playfield, as it doesn’t end your turn until the extra ball is launched and drained)
Also, perhaps related, perhaps not, occasionally I will get a situation where hitting the posts on either side of the middle ramp (the ones with the masks) will cause the midnight clock to advance. I’m not aware of any game state the causes the midnight clock to advance by hitting the posts.
Any gurus out there have suggestions? I assume these two issues are related; I haven’t been able to deterministically duplicate the issue.
[quoted image]

#4215 89 days ago
Quoted from tlon:

I shopped my ToM and added several mods last year - I’ve been running into a small issue ever since: during gameplay I will get an extra ball added into launch position.

Statement: it was working properly before you "shopped" your machine but after the work, it is no longer working properly.

Quoted from tlon:

Also, perhaps related, perhaps not, occasionally I will get a situation where hitting the posts on either side of the middle ramp (the ones with the masks) will cause the midnight clock to advance. I’m not aware of any game state the causes the midnight clock to advance by hitting the posts.

They are called stand-up or stationary targets not posts. Posts are usually metal and covered with a (usually) rubber (but can be something else) sleeve.

Quoted from tlon:

Any gurus out there have suggestions?

I am not a guru but I have some suggestions. There are a few forum members with "guru" in their name. You should consult them if you want a guru. See https://pinside.com/pinball/search?q=guru#pinsiders for search results.

Based on the initial statement (it was working before you "shopped" your machine but is no longer working after you "shopped" your machine), you should go back over the work that you performed on the machine since it seems likely that you caused the problem. What wiring did you change? Did you not put something back where it was when you disconnected it or it broke off?

FWIW: I think the stand-up targets are reversed (left is where right should be and right is where left should be). I think the decals should match the artwork at the back (where the mirror is). Electrically, it shouldn't matter since they are both the same SW#82 (Center Ramp Targets).

The other thing to do is to run the switch edge (T.1) test, verify that the correct switches register and there is only one switch that registers with a single switch closure.

#4216 89 days ago

Does anybody make a repro Eddy Board for TOM? Every repro board I see out there mentions that it is NOT compatible with the magna save feature for TOM. Mine are constantly falling out of adjustment and I'm looking to remedy this in one way or another.

Thanks in advance.

#4217 89 days ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Does anybody make a repro Eddy Board for TOM? Every repro board I see out there mentions that it is NOT compatible with the magna save feature for TOM. Mine are constantly falling out of adjustment and I'm looking to remedy this in one way or another.
Thanks in advance.

I'm using Tangletechs eddy boards for both TOM and Roadshow for several years now and they work nicely. You configure the cards using jumpers to tell if they are connected to trunk or outlane sensor.

https://www.tanglestech.com/TPP-1023

#4219 88 days ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Statement: it was working properly before you "shopped" your machine but after the work, it is no longer working properly.

They are called stand-up or stationary targets not posts. Posts are usually metal and covered with a (usually) rubber (but can be something else) sleeve.

TLON: Thanks - yes I meant stationary targets.

I am not a guru but I have some suggestions. There are a few forum members with "guru" in their name. You should consult them if you want a guru. See https://pinside.com/pinball/search?q=guru#pinsiders for search results.
Based on the initial statement (it was working before you "shopped" your machine but is no longer working after you "shopped" your machine), you should go back over the work that you performed on the machine since it seems likely that you caused the problem. What wiring did you change? Did you not put something back where it was when you disconnected it or it broke off?

TLON: everything was put back where it was taken from, and reconnected as found. I restored factory wiring and installed new molex connectors for the GI strings, which had been "repaired" to bypass burned molex connectors. I rewired the trunk back to factory - it had been "customized" sometime in the past with field repairs. I installed the Pinduino chase lights on the ramps, and installed the spinning tiger saw mod, and replaced all the eddy boards with Tangles eddy boards. And I unsoldered every coil, resleeved the coils, and re-installed in the original positions. I also replaced all the lamps with LEDs (the pin had a mix of LED and incandescent bulbs). I've since disconnected the Pinduino and Saw mods, but the problem persists. I could restore the factory eddy boards, but I have no reason to suspect those are causing this problem. Just providing more info in case it is helpful

FWIW: I think the stand-up targets are reversed (left is where right should be and right is where left should be). I think the decals should match the artwork at the back (where the mirror is). Electrically, it shouldn't matter since they are both the same SW#82 (Center Ramp Targets).

TLON: Agreed, and my spinner decal was also installed backwards, in that it hangs with the "poof" facing the player in its resting state. I just need to order another set of decals for that one.

The other thing to do is to run the switch edge (T.1) test, verify that the correct switches register and there is only one switch that registers with a single switch closure.

TLON: I will check through this for sure - given it is intermittent, I wish I could find a way to trigger the error consistently. In addition to the strange behavior where these stationary targets increment the midnight clock, I occasionally get an extra ball added to the launcher - I suspect these two these two things are related.

Appreciate the suggestions.
Video for reference:

#4220 88 days ago
Quoted from tlon:

I rewired the trunk back to factory - it had been "customized" sometime in the past with field repairs.

Double and triple check this work is correct. If it was working before you touched things and you do a change like this then this is highly suspicious. This is not directed at you, personally, but most people don't suspect their own work. I have no clue why because when something goes wrong, the first thing I suspect is the work that I did. Particularly when it was working before I changed something.

Quoted from tlon:

I will check through this for sure - given it is intermittent, I wish I could find a way to trigger the error consistently. In addition to the strange behavior where these stationary targets increment the midnight clock, I occasionally get an extra ball added to the launcher - I suspect these two these two things are related.

<facetious>Instead of marveling at the bizarre behavior</facetious>, put the game in test mode. First use switch edges and hit the stand-up targets. See what switches register. Then make a note of the active switches by using switch levels. This can help you narrow down switches that may be potentially wired incorrectly. Remember: if you touched it in your "shopping of the machine" - no matter insignificant you may think what you did was - it should be suspected.

It is unrelated to your issue but I went to look at someone's IJ quite some time ago. There was no report of bizarre behavior but when I did a final play test before leaving I noticed some interesting behavior (multiple "phantom" switch closures) with the PoA. It only happened in multiball. What I eventually found was that someone (definitely not me since I didn't touch that switch) had wired the shooter lane (yes, the shooter lane - completely unrelated) incorrectly. Always suspect any work recently done if it was working before you touched it.

If you don't know how to interpret the switch edge and switch levels tests then make a video and post it. Be sure to show the display in the video since seeing the response is important.

#4221 86 days ago

I am also on the hunt for one of.... those ROMs..... anybody have one?

#4222 84 days ago

Has anybody ordered one of the new indestructible trunks from the guy in Italy. I know they are quite expensive, I honestly don’t mind paying if they are what they are as advertised and look good too.

#4223 84 days ago

Who makes the best decals that are as close to original as possible. Going to start lining up my game for a restoration and getting all the stuff together. Using virtua pin to make a new cabinet

#4224 81 days ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Who makes the best decals that are as close to original as possible. Going to start lining up my game for a restoration and getting all the stuff together. Using virtua pin to make a new cabinet

The classic arcade guy has the best ones out there, but they're far from perfect.

If you're really doing a full restoration just get a new playfield.

#4225 81 days ago
Quoted from radial_head:

The classic arcade guy has the best ones out there, but they're far from perfect.
If you're really doing a full restoration just get a new playfield.

I did get a new playfield I bought the one from Pinballinreno it’s an original NOS

#4226 81 days ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

https://pinballdecalseu.com/shop/theatre-of-magic-pinball-cabinet-decals-set/

#4228 81 days ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Oh oh oh you mean CABINET decals.

Yes cabinet decals. The last piece of the puzzle for me looking at my post I realize it wasn’t the clearest

#4229 74 days ago

Am I completely nuts or does Theatre not have a custom pricing setting in the pricing adjustments? I have a DBA that is stuck on one pulse per dollar in there and I'm looking to set the center chute (DBA) to give one game per pulse.... but cannot for the life of me figure out where this is hidden.

1 week later
#4230 67 days ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Has anybody ordered one of the new indestructible trunks from the guy in Italy. I know they are quite expensive, I honestly don’t mind paying if they are what they are as advertised and look good too.

I got one 4 months ago. After a couple hundred games, it is still holding up great physically, but the paint has been rubbing off where the ball hits it, leaving what will eventually look like a thin dark gray ring a half-inch from the bottom of the trunk. I consider it a patina! Anyway, it looks much better than my old cracked trunk that had little chunks missing.

#4231 67 days ago
Quoted from bwolfrom:

I got one 4 months ago. After a couple hundred games, it is still holding up great physically, but the paint has been rubbing off where the ball hits it, leaving what will eventually look like a thin dark gray ring a half-inch from the bottom of the trunk. I consider it a patina! Anyway, it looks much better than my old cracked trunk that had little chunks missing.

Good to know. Maybe Netflix will end for the other guy and he will go back to making them. This will be a good holdover until then.

#4232 67 days ago

Wrong thread...moved

#4233 64 days ago

Hocus Pocus ball save question:

What's the intention with the insert lights for the hocus pocus targets? When they are lit solid, the ball save is active and ready if your ball goes towards the outlane? And when they flash, it's telling you it is timing out?

I know the length of time they are active can be set in the settings. 15 seconds is the default. And unless I'm mistaken, either target enables both left and right ball saves for that same length of time? It's not one target for left side and the other target for the right side?

#4234 63 days ago

Anybody have an original either NOS or excellent condition used translite they would sell. I have a spot that is scrapped off on mine that I am looking to replace

1 week later
#4235 53 days ago

The Tiger Saw on my machine used to spin when you hit the captive ball but somewhere along the way it has stopped spinning. Anyone got some suggestions on where to start looking for the issue? It's plugged in and I don't see any broken wires.

#4236 53 days ago
Quoted from MeJeremy:

The Tiger Saw on my machine used to spin when you hit the captive ball but somewhere along the way it has stopped spinning. Anyone got some suggestions on where to start looking for the issue? It's plugged in and I don't see any broken wires.

The following link may prove useful as it contains the full installation instructions that you can review. I am running my Tiger Saw mod on ROM version 2.0 of the TOM software.

Gord

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-williams-and-bally-software-upgrades/page/12#post-6549433

2 weeks later
#4237 33 days ago

Looking for some help.

Game powers on, has lights, but no DMD display, and game won't start.

Any advice on where to look would be helpful and appreciated.
Thanks,
Stu

#4238 33 days ago
Quoted from Stuby-Doo:

Looking for some help.
Thanks,
Stu

Usual place to start would be the ribbon cables in the backbox. Remove each connector and replug into the boards, paying close attention to making sure the pins are lined up correctly. The ribbon cables can and do wear out over time. You can buy replacements either individually or as a kit for the game.

While you're in the backbox, get a Phillips screwdriver and carefully check to see that each and every screw holding those circuit boards to the backing are tight. Some of those screws are provding a grounding pathway for the boards.

#4239 33 days ago
Quoted from Stuby-Doo:

Looking for some help.
Thanks,
Stu

Checked all fuses? Not visually, remove and measure them.

Do the 3 leds on the cpu board light up in the correct pattern? One should blink then stop, one always blinking and the last always on.

#4240 32 days ago

Thanks guys. I will check those later today when I get home from work!

1 week later
#4241 24 days ago

Is there any interest in a TOM trunk repo?
My vendor has reached out to me and asked if I had any interest.
I don't own the game; so, have no experience on the availability of this part.

65349_1_600x600[1] (resized).jpg65349_1_600x600[1] (resized).jpg
#4242 24 days ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I don't own the game; so, have no experience on the availability of this part.[quoted image]

there is a HUGE interest in repro using high impact rubber materials!

the originals broke after 1 ball strike.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unbreakable-trunk-for-the-theatre-of-magic

Georgio made some up with Ricks blessing, but quit after he got a job at Neflix doing movie props.

#4243 24 days ago

The picture looks like it's of a material like silicon; but not 100% sure.
That said; I'm sure these aren't going to made by "Georgio" and doubt there is that much work as he pictured.
So probably a higher volume process.

I got word that they are flexible material that isn't Silicon. This is the video I got:

I need to make a decision on these trunks for me next order ... probably this weekend.

#4244 24 days ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I don't own the game; so, have no experience on the availability of this part.[quoted image]

If you can get them to make one out of a flexible durable material you will sell a good amount. A lot of us are waiting for gregorio to come back but doubt he may even come back

#4245 24 days ago
Quoted from Zitt:

That said; I'm sure these aren't going to made by "Georgio" and doubt there is that much work as he pictured.
I got word that they are flexible material that isn't Silicon. This is the video I got:
I need to make a decision on these trunks for me next order ... probably this weekend.

I got one of these "indestructible" trunks and I'm very happy with it. No visual damage so far after a few years use.

The one in the video seem to be a bit more flexible than mine but doesn't matter as it should work perfectly fine. I'd say there is quite a big demand for trunks that flex and don't crack from ball hits.

#4246 24 days ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I will get one if you buy them.

#4247 24 days ago

I would be in too

#4248 23 days ago

One also for me please

#4249 23 days ago

Me too. All my "back-up" trunks have grown very brittle over the years (more brittle than when they started).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Spanish Fork, UT
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Minneapolis, MN
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,285 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 86.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-club/page/85 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.